inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Brooklyn Paramount...

Written By: tokjct on 01/17/07 at 10:24 pm

So...Gordon and I and Tina and Chris took the #38 Dekalb to downtown Brooklyn.  We were going to the Brooklyn Paramount to see Alan Freed's Rock and Roll Show...It was, like 1952...

The theater was really hoppin' and packed...  What a great show it was...

Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Little Richard and a bunch of more R & R headliners. I think the ushers were all amateur wrestlers and if anyone dared to get out of their seat...we'd hear..."Sit' down kid...!!!"    What a show...never to be forgotten!

Subject: Re: The Brooklyn Paramount...

Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/07 at 7:22 pm

So...Gordon and I and Tina and Chris took the #38 Dekalb to downtown Brooklyn.  We were going to the Brooklyn Paramount to see Alan Freed's Rock and Roll Show...It was, like 1952...

The theater was really hoppin' and packed...   What a great show it was...

Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Little Richard and a bunch of more R & R headliners. I think the ushers were all amateur wrestlers and if anyone dared to get out of their seat...we'd hear..."Sit' down kid...!!!"     What a show...never to be forgotten!

I wish I could have gone to one of his live shows, but being from Jersey and a little to young I never did. Although, when the movie American Hot Wax came out on tape I watched it a dozen times. A light plot on Alan Freed's pioneering Rock and Roll with his radio DJ'ing and his epic Roll and Roll shows. It's entertaining and close to the actual events in his quest to get Roll and Roll accepted by main-stream White America.

Fearing riots, some of his shows were closed down by the police, was yours threatened to be closed down? and I think your date is off just alittle. 

Hot Wax...

Subject: Re: The Brooklyn Paramount...

Written By: tokjct on 02/06/07 at 10:20 pm

Now that you mention it, Hot, I would have only been 11 in 1952.  I think I was 15, at least.  So it must have been 1955 or 1956.

Check for new replies or respond here...