inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Glenwood Theater...every Saturday morning

Written By: tokjct on 01/22/07 at 3:44 pm

Just like Abie's Candy Store...I'll bet that most of us who are of the age where we have grandchildren, remember the Movie theater where we spent many a Saturday morning. Mine was the Glenwood Theater...and it was outstanding!

We used to go to the Glenwood Theater, around the corner on Myrtle Avenue.  For the humungous sum of 14 cents, we got to see a western serial...starring such notables as Johnny Mack Brown, Bob Steele, or Hoot Gibson, or Lash LaRue.  Then we might get another serial... like Buck Rogers.  Of course, before the first feature attraction would come on, (in those days we always had "Double Features"), we'd go out to the Popcorn machine...A dime bought you a bag of delicious popcorn.
The candy counter had soft drinks, or hot dogs, or ice cream...and plenty of candy.  Then we'd get back to our seats and watch "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Wolfman" or "Roy Rogers and the Bar K Rustlers."

There were two "matrons" (everybody called them) who kept order in the "children's section" at the Glenwood.  "Matrons" always looked the same through those early years of my life...Gray hair, glasses, always on the heavy side and never too tall...and they carried their flashlight like billy clubs.  When the "matron" told us to get in their seat and be quiet...we did...fast.  Nobody messed with these women.

I loved the Glenwood best...firstly, because it was right around the corner.  They had the "best" movies. But we couldn't beat the price.  The Belvedere, about six blocks further down Myrtle Avenue, usually got the same movies a week after the Glenwood...and they charged eighteen cents on Saturday mornings.  The Acme, another six blocks down, charged 25 cents and they only had the Gene Autry and Roy Rogers picture once in a while.  Usually Polish or Hungarian movies.

The Glenwood Theater closed up about 1960 and became The Glenwood Bowling Alley.  Never visited.

In 1985, the local post office for Ridgewood, which had been a Brooklyn substation even though it was in Queens, and which was around the corner from my family's furniture store, closed.  They had built a new post office building...guess where?

Today, the Glenwood Theater, which became the Glenwood Bowling Alley,  is the United States Post Office, substation for Ridgewood N.Y. and now part of Flushing, Queens N.Y.  11385.       

Subject: Re: The Glenwood Theater...every Saturday morning

Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/07 at 9:13 pm

Just like Abie's Candy Store...I'll bet that most of us who are of the age where we have grandchildren, remember the Movie theater where we spent many a Saturday morning. Mine was the Glenwood Theater...and it was outstanding!

We used to go to the Glenwood Theater, around the corner on Myrtle Avenue.   For the humungous sum of 14 cents, we got to see a western serial...starring such notables as Johnny Mack Brown, Bob Steele, or Hoot Gibson, or Lash LaRue.  Then we might get another serial... like Buck Rogers.  Of course, before the first feature attraction would come on, (in those days we always had "Double Features"), we'd go out to the Popcorn machine...A dime bought you a bag of delicious popcorn.
The candy counter had soft drinks, or hot dogs, or ice cream...and plenty of candy.  Then we'd get back to our seats and watch "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Wolfman" or "Roy Rogers and the Bar K Rustlers."

There were two "matrons" (everybody called them) who kept order in the "children's section" at the Glenwood.  "Matrons" always looked the same through those early years of my life...Gray hair, glasses, always on the heavy side and never too tall...and they carried their flashlight like billy clubs.  When the "matron" told us to get in their seat and be quiet...we did...fast.  Nobody messed with these women.

I loved the Glenwood best...firstly, because it was right around the corner.  They had the "best" movies. But we couldn't beat the price.  The Belvedere, about six blocks further down Myrtle Avenue, usually got the same movies a week after the Glenwood...and they charged eighteen cents on Saturday mornings.  The Acme, another six blocks down, charged 25 cents and they only had the Gene Autry and Roy Rogers picture once in a while.  Usually Polish or Hungarian movies.

The Glenwood Theater closed up about 1960 and became The Glenwood Bowling Alley.  Never visited.

In 1985, the local post office for Ridgewood, which had been a Brooklyn substation even though it was in Queens, and which was around the corner from my family's furniture store, closed.  They had built a new post office building...guess where?

Today, the Glenwood Theater, which became the Glenwood Bowling Alley,  is the United States Post Office, substation for Ridgewood N.Y. and now part of Flushing, Queens N.Y.  11385.       

Yes, mine was the Rivoli movies on Ferry St. in the Iron Bound section of Newark NJ. and had all the same Saturday treats as your Glenwood. It even became a Post Office in the 60's. too.

and yes, I have my little grandaughter Emma in my life now too.

Check for new replies or respond here...