inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Written By: woops on 03/19/07 at 2:54 pm

Though more "Mickey" than "Bugs"...then again Oswald Rabbit came before Mickey, but wasn't as popular like the mouse or wascally wabbit...

Disney worked on Oswald though later worked for a certain cartoon mouse that would build a major empire...

There's supossedly a DVD from Disney featuring several Oswald Rabbit cartoons in the works... though not sure if any prints are still around.

Four I've seen...

"Mechanical Cow" is a funny short, though interesting since the robotic cow sleeps in the start of the film. Later on the cartoon, Oswald saves his girlfriend from some doglike villians.

"Wonderland" from "Attack of the 30s Characters" DVD, Jack & The Beanstalk parody that's a typical early 30's cartoon.
http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/1930s/wonderland05.jpg
Chicken that laid the golden egg

"In The Zoo", from another public domain DVD ("Classic Cartoon Collection: Cartoon Superstars"). OK short, though an average cartoon. It's about a zoo keeper mistreating animals (BTW, nothing "shocking") and ends with the animals taking on the zoo keeper and blows him a raspberry.

http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/1930s/zoo04.jpg
Another Mickey clone, though he was around before the famous mouse

"Beach Combers", different design and the cartoon mostly focused on a group of ducklings and a dog saving them from an octopus. From "Attack of the 30s Characters" and another public domain DVD and another public domain DVD titled "Classic Cartoon Collection: Comic Strip Favorites".
http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/1930s/beachcombers04.jpg
A duckling inside of a basket and it ate all the food!

http://lantz.goldenagecartoons.com/profiles/oswald/mechanicalcowposter.jpg
Poster of "The Mechanical Cow"

Subject: Re: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Written By: Tia on 03/19/07 at 2:58 pm

can he account for his whereabouts the day kennedy was shot?

that show doesnt look familiar but i watched so many weird cartoons like that when i was a kid i bet i saw it at some point.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/07 at 2:57 pm

There's supossedly a DVD from Disney featuring several Oswald Rabbit cartoons in the works... though not sure if any prints are still around.

Well, you can pretty much guarantee that Disney will not be releasing this DVD.  Because Disney does not own the rights to this series.  They are all owned by Universal Pictures.

Disney left Universal and made his own studio after the issue of rights and ownership came up over the Oswald character.  And after he left, they went through several Producers, including Walter Lantz (of later "Woody Woodpecker" fame).  Currently most of the Disney produced films are available through Public Domain.

However, because of Public Domain laws, Disney can't sell them for a profit.  And I can't see them selling the old catalog "at cost".

However, rumor has it that Disney is in pre-production of a new Oswald Rabbit short.

Written By: woops on 04/03/07 at 12:22 am

Disney Treasures, wave 7

I'm looking forward to the Donald Duck cartoons.

I also have doubts about Oswald. Besides Universal owning the rights, there's only less than a dozen cartoons in existance today.

Guessing another "Rarities" set with animation from the 1920's to 1950's or an added documentry...

Only time will tell

Written By: woops on 12/20/07 at 5:22 pm

The  Disney "Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit " DVD was great

Here's the review from  Ultimate Disney

"Trolley Troubles", "Bright Lights", "Sky Scrapper", "The Mechanical Cow", "Oh What A Knight", and "Oh Teacher" are among the best

The Ub Iwerks documentry and commentaries were  also informative

Written By: VeriForce on 01/12/08 at 10:31 pm

It was released. I have the Treasures DVD. Disney traded some sportscaster to Universal to get the rights to Oswald back.

Check for new replies or respond here...