inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alfred Hitchcock

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/07 at 11:49 am

How many Alfred Hitchcock fans are out there? I just love him. I think he was a great story teller and he had a wicked sense of humor which was on the macabre side. I love watching his movies and trying to spot him. (For those of you do not know, he ALWAYS made a cameo in everyone one of his films). And I love to watch Alfred Hitchock Presents. The beginning and end of the show was great with him as the host. He ALWAYS cracks me up. I can't say that I have a favorite movie of his but I think "Rear Window" comes close.

Cat

Subject: Re: Alfred Hitchcock

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/07 at 11:51 am

Oh, I love Alfred Hitchcock! My favorite movie of his is definitely, "Vertigo" :)

Written By: gemini on 04/06/07 at 4:47 pm

I always loved The Birds, even though it scared me to death as a kid watching it.

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/07 at 12:16 pm

I loved Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  I always felt his films were too long (except for Stangers on a Train- that was his best film).  Doing the  series was much better.  He got to meat before we had a chance to get bored.  I'm so glad the series is available on DVD!

Written By: Tia on 04/07/07 at 12:17 pm

rear window. one of the best movies ever. ditto "psycho."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/07 at 1:54 pm

I'm a huge fan of "North By Northwest."

Written By: Tia on 04/12/07 at 3:43 pm

i keep changing my mind whether that one's any good.

vertigo: overrated. sabotage: also overrated.

shadow of a doubt: excellent.

family plot: haven't seen it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/12/07 at 8:38 pm

love him, especially Frenzy, which many are unaware of or they totally underappreciate it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/04/07 at 11:52 am

Love him!!

My favorite movie is Rear Window.  I also like Psycho and of course The Birds.

A few lesser know  movies that I really like are The Trouble with Harry and Dial M for Murder.

love him, especially Frenzy, which many are unaware of or they totally underappreciate it.

That happens to be one of my favorites!!  I haven't seen it in so long.

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 7:27 pm

rope was a real hot one. done i think in two incredibly long continuous takes? i can only imagine what kind of custom cameras he'd have to use for that. antonioni once did an 8-minute take -- it's the 8 prettiest, saddest minutes in movie history if you ask me -- and he had to have a custom camera made to hold enough film. hitchcock's cameras for "rope" musta looked like SUVs.

it's funny, hitchcock always insisted he wasn't an artist, he was just trying to entertain people. but he was definitely one of the best moviemakers who ever lived, right up the with the greatest of the great.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/08/07 at 8:40 pm

He was able to create suspense better than anyone. His techniques are still used today. The bus scene from The Interpreter was one of the best homages to Hitchcock I've come across lately. Shame about the rest of the film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 1:35 pm

Some how I missed this thread.

I am a complete Hitchcock fan, and having seen the majority of his films I can appreciate his work. We still stay play spot the Hitchcock.

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/16/07 at 9:42 am

I love Hitchcock. I've seen all of his films.
North By Northwest, Psycho, & Vertigo are my all time favorites.

Heard he had an odd sense of humor though.
I was watching an interview with Jamie Lee Curtis who says that Hitch upset her on her birthday while she was on the set of Psycho with her mom.

The gift was a new Barbie doll.
Trouble was it was given to her in a small Barbie sized casket.

Written By: Tia on 09/27/07 at 6:05 am

i just added shadow of a doubt to my queue. on the top baby! i remember only seeing that movie once, for a movie class like fifteen years ago, and thinking it was awesome. shadowy criminals violating the innocent and beautiful! it's my all-time favorite thing.

Written By: Brigitte on 09/29/07 at 12:12 pm

I liked Frenzy too!
When the inspecter finally catches him at the end and says "Rusk, you're not wearing your tie."

Written By: hot_wax on 09/30/07 at 11:30 pm

Cat, last week there was a tribute to Hitchcock movies on TBS last week, they were showing many of his movies for a couple of days. I caught the ending of Psycho and waited for the next movie "Shawdow of a Doubt", one of his movies that I don't remember watching so I stayed up to see if I did, and as I'm watching the begining intro credits the camera is slowly panning scenery of river in a city and little by little it's showing the Polaski Skyway! a Newark NJ highway and finally camera captures the skyline of Newark NJ, then the scene opens up showing one of it's real neighborhood streets and other area streets also when the main charcter is being chased by a couple of guys.

What surprised me is why of all cities in the world Hitchcock chose Newark NJ as setting for his movie? I was amazed to see that, and a little proud too since I'm originally from Newark, that he thought that much of the city in 1943 to use it in his movie. I fell asleep on it, I have to get it some how to see the rest of it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/01/07 at 3:03 am

Alfred Hitchcock is truly one of the all time greats! I loved The Birds, Psycho, Vertigo, I Confess, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, and most recently, Family Plot.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/01/07 at 9:14 pm

Cat, last week there was a tribute to Hitchcock movies on TBS last week, they were showing many of his movies for a couple of days. I caught the ending of Psycho and waited for the next movie "Shawdow of a Doubt", one of his movies that I don't remember watching so I stayed up to see if I did, and as I'm watching the begining intro credits the camera is slowly panning scenery of river in a city and little by little it's showing the Polaski Skyway! a Newark NJ highway and finally camera captures the skyline of Newark NJ, then the scene opens up showing one of it's real neighborhood streets and other area streets also when the main charcter is being chased by a couple of guys.

What surprised me is why of all cities in the world Hitchcock chose Newark NJ as setting for his movie? I was amazed to see that, and a little proud too since I'm originally from Newark, that he thought that much of the city in 1943 to use it in his movie. I fell asleep on it, I have to get it some how to see the rest of it.

I got the movie! by chance I asked my son about the movie and he had the video in stock, so tonight I'll watch the rest of it...if I don't fall asleep again.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/04/07 at 7:13 pm

I got the movie! by chance I asked my son about the movie and he had the video in stock, so tonight I'll watch the rest of it...if I don't fall asleep again.

I finally got to watch the whole movie "Shadow of a Doubt" and it was a little weak for a Hitchcock movie for this day and age, maybe back in 1942 it was a thriller for them. The plot of an uncle and a niece having a close relationship would be seen as a little  perverted today.

I didn't see Big Al in any scenes either and after another look at the Newark scenes intro, it wasn't flattering at all, they took the dumpiest locations of the city, I'm guessing he  looked very hard world wide to get just the right city slum for the shot and Newark NJ won the prize.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/07 at 11:53 am

I finally got to watch the whole movie "Shadow of a Doubt" and it was a little weak for a Hitchcock movie for this day and age, maybe back in 1942 it was a thriller for them. The plot of an uncle and a niece having a close relationship would be seen as a little  perverted today.

I didn't see Big Al in any scenes either and after another look at the Newark scenes intro, it wasn't flattering at all, they took the dumpiest locations of the city, I'm guessing he  looked very hard world wide to get just the right city slum for the shot and Newark NJ won the prize.

I'm not too sure if I have seen that one. The problem I have found with a Hitchcock film is that I get involved in the story and forget to look for him.  :D ;D ;D  But, some movies it is obvious others, not quite so. Like I have said before, I love the fact that he made a cameo in every film. (It is sort of like looking for the bunny on Playboy magazine covers-not saying that I would know anything about that.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/07 at 11:58 am

I'm not too sure if I have seen that one. The problem I have found with a Hitchcock film is that I get involved in the story and forget to look for him.  :D ;D ;D  But, some movies it is obvious others, not quite so. Like I have said before, I love the fact that he made a cameo in every film. (It is sort of like looking for the bunny on Playboy magazine covers-not saying that I would know anything about that.  ;) )

Cat
For your future reference here is a list of Hitchcock cameo appearances

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/07 at 12:06 pm

Hmmmm. Do I want to look at that? That is almost like cheating and I'm wondering should I cheat or not.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/07 at 12:08 pm

Hmmmm. Do I want to look at that? That is almost like cheating and I'm wondering should I cheat or not.  :D ;D ;D

Cat
I used to work in the cinema industry and got to learn of his appearances long before I saw his films. My test now is remember when the appearance is made.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 12:15 pm

Cat

I cheated for you... don't do it! It not only describes the cameo it gives the exact moment it happens on screen!

Written By: hot_wax on 10/10/07 at 9:04 pm

Great site! and all it's links too(it mentioned the Newark location in the movie) Cheating schmeating, it said that Mr. Hitchcock's cameo was in the final scene on the train and he was playing cards at a table. I still have the video, I'm going to fast foward it just to see him in that scene...cool! thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...