inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: john or paul?

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 6:24 pm

it's time to choose. :D

Subject: Re: john or paul?

Written By: KKay on 04/13/07 at 6:38 pm

i have never felt close to john. me and paul? we're like this.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/13/07 at 6:38 pm

John

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/13/07 at 6:44 pm

Definitely Paul!  :)

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 6:53 pm

john's music is awesome but i'm just a sucker for mid- to late-70s wings. so cheesy and brilliant and great. to tell you the truth, i have more respect for john. i think he was brilliant and i really admire and support his political activism but paul... i dunno, the music he wrote has just been so moving to me.

so paul got my vote. i think it's one of humanity's greatest fortunes that those two found each other. they came from different backgrounds so the beatles could so easily not have happened, ditto their solo careers. and that would have sucked. makes you wonder how many brilliant talents are out there unfound cuz they havent been able to find each other. :(

Written By: KKay on 04/13/07 at 6:58 pm

i was instantly attcracted to paul.
i tried for years to like lennon's music and i don't enjoy any of it.

it's not just the pop lover in me...but i'm not into the aggressiveness
and i hate protest pop.

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:02 pm

i have to say i think they're both kickass. i mean come together? i am the walrus? revolution? imagine? that's awe-inspiring music.

but yanno, paul just edges it out. and it's not just cuz he's prettier. i think it's uncle albert/admiral halsey and maybe i'm amazed that does it. try and get through maybe i'm amazed with a dry eye. it's just not possible.

but in terms of making a positive difference in the world in the long term it's john, definitely.

Written By: KKay on 04/13/07 at 7:11 pm

maybe i'm amazed and my love do it for me.

i don't like to listen to Imagine.
great lyrics, moved the world to tears, but nothing for me.

i also love that paul has that little nostalgic thing going inthe music

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:18 pm

i was thinking about learning imagine and doing it for open mics, the only thing that stops me is that it's such an enormous mammoth song i feel like i wouldn't be equal to it. you couldn't fake your way through that one on an off night, yanno?

but i've actually played out band on the run, uncle albert, she came in through the bathroom window and you never give me your money. i dunno who wrote window and money but i feel they're both probably paul songs, they have that weird absurd thing about them that i love so much. then again, i am the walrus is also weird and absurd. must have been all the lsd. :D

not that i'm endorsing the consumption of class V hallucinogens! be cool, kids, stay in school like tia and tony.

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:19 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQadhVz1qqU

i want this song played at my funeral. seriously. this and starship trooper.

people seemed to get into it when i played uncle albert at open mic, i think a lot of folks had heard that tune before and had totally forgotten about it. linda's backups are gorgeous on it, she really gets a bad rap.

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/13/07 at 7:23 pm

Paul.    :)

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:26 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5JBSFRW_Bu8&mode=related&search=

man, i need to hook up with these guys' connection. they appear to be hittin' the purple-haired stuff, gnome sayng.

tia and tony, kids! remember, stay in school. i'm not a role model.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/13/07 at 7:32 pm

Paul, definitely.

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:40 pm

who did what? i've always been kinda mixed up on a lot of the songs from the beatles days.

like, day in the life. was that john or paul? i don't even know but i'm thinkin' john.

Written By: gemini on 04/13/07 at 9:21 pm

Definately, Paul! I wore out my Wings Over America album. It's one of the few that I can listen to from beginning to end. Every song is a keeper. Venus and Mars/Rock Show/Jet, Let Me Roll It, Bluebird, Go Now, well, you get the picture.  ;D I love alot of Johns music too, but there's just something about Paul. My daughter even bought a Viola Bass just like Pauls, of course the cheaper version.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/14/07 at 2:26 pm

Between the two, I've gotta go with Paul, I've always loved "Maybe I'm Amazed," even when I was like 6 years old.

Also I really dig "Helen Wheels":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ETDAIGuoN4

But...but...what about George? I think this song is as good as anything John and Paul put out post-breakup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VEWfVHqK5U

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/07 at 10:38 pm

Paul.  I LOVE the Wings LP 'Back to the Egg' and the song 'Arrow Through Me'

Written By: La Roche on 04/14/07 at 10:57 pm

it's time to choose. :D

You know I hate them all and think their music sucked balls - But even I like Paul.

Written By: Tia on 04/15/07 at 1:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZKHQnReig

suddenly i have a greater appreciation for the silents.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/15/07 at 6:08 am

I'll take John,please!

Paul was great,but there's a cheesy quality about him i hate.

John was always cool,it also helped that he died when he did...The only thing i didn't like about John was his taste in women  :P

Written By: Tia on 04/15/07 at 9:14 am

I'll take John,please!

Paul was great,but there's a cheesy quality about him i hate.

John was always cool,it also helped that he died when he did...The only thing i didn't like about John was his taste in women  :P
i'm old enough to remember when john died. i was seriously devastated! i loved the beatles -- they've always been my favorite band of all time, pretty much -- and i was too young to play favorites.

there's a point round about the late 70s, actually not long before john died, that paul jumped the shark in my opinion. come together, and ebony and ivory, and all that stuff after wings and a lot of stuff in wings' later period, i can't stand it. but that doesn't take away from awesome tunes like band on the run and helen wheels.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/07 at 9:39 am

I really can't decide (though I gave John one to square it up a bit)...of course I can't compare the stuff they wrote for the Beatles ('specially as so much of it they co-wrote), but I prefer Lennon's solo stuff by a mile. Can't say I was ever into Wings. It was just a bit too pop for me. While Lennon's music was invariably pop, it just seemed a bit more soulful to me, compared to Paul's easy breezy pop tunes.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/16/07 at 7:46 pm

Can't pick one over the other - love 'em both  :-*  (but for different reasons)

John was the ultimate artist, the independent thinker, so very creative and thoughtful, very personal with his music.

Paul's a true showman, a real talent, knows the way to make music that just sounds good.

Separately, they're each superb in their own unique ways.  Together (ala the early Beatles), they're pure genius.  :D

Written By: mandamoo on 04/20/07 at 8:22 am

Paul

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/07 at 8:36 am

Can both be equal as each other?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/20/07 at 8:48 am

John forever and always

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/07 at 12:00 am

i'm old enough to remember when john died. i was seriously devastated! i loved the beatles -- they've always been my favorite band of all time, pretty much -- and i was too young to play favorites.

there's a point round about the late 70s, actually not long before john died, that paul jumped the shark in my opinion. come together, and ebony and ivory, and all that stuff after wings and a lot of stuff in wings' later period, i can't stand it. but that doesn't take away from awesome tunes like band on the run and helen wheels.

You didn't like "Come Together"? While it's not my favorite of theirs (or even off Abbey Road), it's a nice addition to the band's later classic rock-inspired late period.

"Ebony and Ivory" was from 1982. I would put that in with songs like "Jesse's Girl" or "The Tide is High" as being kinda in a weird, limbo period of almost there '80s. Whereas "Say Say Say" is pure synthpop. It's a subtle difference but it's there. Most critics also think Paul's solo career started fading shortly afterwards, probably with the Press album.

And, to answer the question - while I appreciate John's political activism and mystique (he did have some classic songs too), I'm much more into Paul overall.

Written By: Tia on 05/03/07 at 7:11 pm

come together is a great song. i love all of lennon's input into abbey road. that's probably one of my three all-time favorite albums.

Written By: KKay on 05/05/07 at 4:11 pm

I told frieds about this thread and how I felt about Lennon and McCartney.
they were all really dissapointed in me, many feel that the beatles would not be what they were musically without John Lennon. sure, they would not be the same, not my argument at all.
I prefer paul to john solo is all.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/07 at 8:18 am

paul

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/30/07 at 3:57 am

Paul was & is my favorite Beatle, & he has a sweet, pure voice & I like his songs the best. Why did you make this thread where I have to finally make a choice, something I've never ever done because I've always enjoyed the Beatles as a whole, even when they all went solo. but alas, I now admit to the world that I like John's voice better. If I could sing like either one it would have to be John. His voice was raw & expressive and almost sounded tearful & gets me more emotionally involved in the song.

http://lennontribute.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/JL325JG64.jpg http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtnSO11Gj28BDjCjzbkF/SIG=12gnuiafi/EXP=1180601682/**http%3A//morethings.com/pictures/music/beatles/John_Lennon.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 06/08/07 at 11:41 am

I simply can't make up my mind.  John or Paul?

I think I will pick John-Paul.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/07 at 11:59 am

http://www.abc.net.au/hobart/stories/John_Paul_m767889.jpg

John Paul Young

Written By: Tia on 06/08/07 at 12:07 pm

I simply can't make up my mind.  John or Paul?

I think I will pick John-Paul.

now i have "lady madonna" in my head for some reason.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/09/07 at 1:45 pm

Of course, we also have John Paul Jones, times two:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/John_Paul_Jones.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/JPJ.jpg

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/09/07 at 7:37 pm

Don't forget existentialist Jean-Paul Sartre

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2980/sartre2me0.jpg

Actually, my favorite was always George, but if I had to pick between Paul and John....geez, that's tough. Musically, I would say John, although I always found him to be contemptably arrogant. Paul, on the other hand, seemed more likable and agreeable.

On the other hand, 2 out of 3 aliens prefer John over Paul....and who am I to argue with a higher form of life?

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/2004/dec/m09-001.shtml

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/16/07 at 2:21 pm

Paul's my fave.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/07 at 9:58 pm

Same here.  I can't say I was "devastated."  I had not the intimate listenership with Lennon that millions of people who were cognizant of  his cultural signficance when it was all going down. My mother and my big sister certainly were grieving.  The night it happened I was awakened by my sister's wailing.  She just happened to be listening to the radio at the late hour the news bulletin was broadcast.  There was no question.  Lennon was dead at the scene.  I was sad in a way I couldn't quite understand at the time.  I read the article in Newsweek about the murder and a sick young man named Mark David Chapman.  What impressed me most was the way Yoko explained to Sean that Chapman wasn't evil, he was just confused.  It's one of the first times I thought intellectually about the unfairness of life. 
:\'(

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about it today.  I remember when Elvis died too.  I knew millions loved him, I didn't understand why.  The difference is Lennon was taken away from us.  Elvis did himself in.

Oh, the poll question...

John for me.  Most certainly John.

Written By: McDonald on 07/31/07 at 9:18 pm

Very hard. Most people would say Paul, but I'll say John. Paul was more talented and better looking than John, but John was a far more interesting person in my view. He was also very politically involved. Not that Paul is not, but his politics are a bit sillier. For example, where does he get off telling Canadians who have made their lives, meagre as they may be, off of hunting seals for generations that they ought to just stop? Or else what, Paul? You aren't coming back for a tour... good riddance. You suck now anyway, and you don't know much about the particularities of the Atlantic-Canadian economy either, so shut it.

But perhaps that was a bit harsh... Love ya, Paul. Love ya.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/31/07 at 9:22 pm

JOHN

Check for new replies or respond here...