inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember the video "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"?

Written By: star500 on 04/22/07 at 1:07 pm

I was surfing the internet a few years ago and saw a link to a video that made me laugh so hard, I cried ;D. It was Leonard Nimoy--you know, Spock from Star Trek?--singing "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins." I never saw anything so funny in my life. Unfortunately the site I saw it on had to take it off for legal reasons but thanks to YouTube, I got to see it again. Here is a link to it for anyone who didn't see it or is wondering what the heck I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

Enjoy!

Subject: Re: Anyone remember the video "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/07 at 2:57 pm

I have heard the song many times but never saw the video (until now). Yeah, it was pretty funny. I love the choreography.  Thanks for the link-and karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 04/26/07 at 1:42 pm

That video was from a short-lived 1967 TV series called "Malibu U".  It only ran for just over a month (July 21-September 1, 1967), and was a Variety Show.  The Host was RIcky Nelson, who played a fictitious Dean of "Malibu University", and would book big name groups of the time (The Turtles, The Doors, Lou Rawls, 5th Dimension, etc).  Only 7 shows were ever made, and Leonard was on Episode 2.

And as an interesting note, Erin Grey (of Buck Rodgers fame) was one of the dancers in the series.  I have long been a fan of this song, first hearing it on the Doctor Demento show in the early 1980's.

And in the early 1970's, Leonard was behind an attempt to make a live-action movie based on the books.  He wanted to play the role of Aragorn.

Written By: gemini on 04/26/07 at 4:27 pm

I saw the video a few years ago on a local tv show. Very strange but hilarious!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/07 at 1:03 pm

I have long been a fan of this song, first hearing it on the Doctor Demento show in the early 1980's.

That's where I heard it, too.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...