inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was there less for kids to do in the "old days"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 5:44 am

I hate to make generalized statements, but I've wondered about this for a long time. I've commonly gotten this impression from personal experience. For instance, a middle-aged Baby Boomer might have a tendency to dismiss the idea of a younger person feeling "old", having nostalgia over stuff you did in your childhood, or even having a detailed memory of pop culture in their preteen years.

While of course, I don't agree with them, I can see how this would have some validity from their personal perspective (because I think we always look at our own experiences when comparing it to someone else, lol). Most likely, their childhood was marked more by simple things like playing outside or just typical family/home/school stuff. Many people probably didn't start getting an interest in music, girls/guys or anything like that until they were about 14.

I don't think alot of entertainment was aimed at kids as much. There's been a bunch of little shifts over time, but if I had to draw a line one place, I'd say anyone who was a kid (i.e. preteen) for at least a few years after things like video games and MTV reached a household popularity status in, like 1982+. When you get to people born in the early-mid '70s and beyond is where the mindset starts to change. They're more open to being retro, for instance.

Does any of this make sense, or am I seeing something that's not there?

Subject: Re: Was there less for kids to do in the "old days"?

Written By: spaceace on 04/30/07 at 7:47 am

My brother and my parents talk about how great it was back then.  They talk about having to "make their own fun" by using their imagination.  I can kind of see that.

Written By: fishryc on 04/30/07 at 8:33 am

I think that we did many more numerous things to amuse / entertain ourselves and as recreation or play because there were much less "Canned" or "Ready to go" entertainment things available.
Things such as children oriented television (we had to wait all week until Saturday morning to watch cartoons!), all things associated with the electronic age of today (Internet, video games, email and text messaging, dvd's to watch, etc).
You don't really see the kids from your neighboorhood just going outside to play.
We couldn't wait to get outside the weekends and after school. We played sports and games such as football, baseball, kickball, Hide and seek, tag, etc.
In addition, we ran around the fields and woods, built bonfires (and somehow survived!), built "forts", caught and observes various wildlife, critters, and bugs, went fishing, swimming, rode bikes, etc.
We were much more physically active and more active in activities that involved the whole neighboorhood "gang".
There were 5 year olds running around and playing in a group that may have ages up to 12 or 13 also represented. Activities were more broad age ranging (fishing, hiking the fields, critter catching, forts, hide & seek, etc.)
Kids tend to also stick together more by age these days, IMO.
Anyway, I feel that we partook in more activities simply because there were less "ready to go" things available.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 8:54 am

^Yeah, I can agree with that. Of course everyone is different, and it depends where you are, too (for instance, I'm sure people who live in a rural area still do things outside). But in general, from what I've seen secondhand, things like age didn't matter as much back then. Bigger kids who were 13 seemed to let their little siblings hang out with them, more people were probably more communal.

As far as the playing outside thing is concerned, don't get me wrong I did some things like that, but it was usually either at school, or when I had friends come over to my house. I was never a total couch potato or anything, but I was just as much entertained by video games and music growing up, as I did by hanging with other kids.

Written By: karen on 04/30/07 at 9:06 am

In some ways I think there was more for kids to do then.  I think I rarely sat around the house looking for something to do whereas my children are often asking what they should play or moaning that they are bored.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/30/07 at 4:36 pm

In some ways I think there was more for kids to do then.  I think I rarely sat around the house looking for something to do whereas my children are often asking what they should play or moaning that they are bored.

Wow Karen, I echo this statement. ;D

I want to scream every time I hear my grandson say "I'm bored." The thing is, he is so used to all the electronic doodads available
he has not idea how to invent fun. I was rarely indoors during my childhood and at no time did I really feel bored. Even on rainy
days we would invent indoor games to play. Flying my mothers original Elvis 45's like Frisbees and watching them smash on the floor
or laying out a baseball field on the floor and using a Bic pen and a marble to play a ball game.

In my neighborhood, there was seldom a kid who didn't have a top in one pocket and a bag of marbles hanging from his belt.
A string and a pin was also helpful, you never knew when you wanted to drop a line the the creek and snag a few yellow
belly minnows.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 5:31 pm

My brother and my parents talk about how great it was back then.  They talk about having to "make their own fun" by using their imagination.  I can kind of see that.

I agree. My parents and grandparents are always telling me all of the fun things that they did when they were younger...they kept themselves occupied and were NEVER bored... I would have loved to have lived back then...things were a lot more simple, but meaningful.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/30/07 at 7:33 pm

Anyway, I feel that we partook in more activities simply because there were less "ready to go" things available.

Agreed.  Being a kid in the 60's is a lot different than today.  The few times I told my parents I was bored (and that didn't happen often), the statement was met with a sneer rather than parental problem-solving.  Even when the weather was bad (I lived in the Midwest) I was expected to entertain myself.  And I did.  I think having to invent my own entertainment made me a more creative person (not that I'm particularly creative in the artistic sense - but I know how to think for myself).  Of course if video games and such had been available to me as a kid, I would've gone for them.  I think I'm thankful they weren't.

Written By: gemini on 05/01/07 at 10:53 am

I don't ever remember being bored back in the 60s/70s when I was a kid. We were out from morning till night, or until mom would yell out the front door to come home for lunch or dinner. We always found something to do in the neighborhood or the backyard.  Most the kids in the neighborhood were my age, maybe a year older or a year younger, so we all hung out together, riding bikes, starting up a game with a big group or the girls would go watch the guys play football or softball or sometimes join in if they would let us. We'd build forts, play flashlight tag, kick the can, jump rope. . . . etc. There was never a dull moment!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/07 at 5:04 pm

For the record, let me just say, I didn't mean to insinuate that previous times to the '80s were "boring" or deviod of anything for kids to do. If it came off that way, I apologize, lol. :)

To further give a perspective on it...many aspects of my early life were cemented into my memory, so if anything changed, I noticed it. Even little mundane things like a 1987 song being outdated in 1994, or becoming sentimentally attached to houses we lived in, could make me think this way. When I was 12, I already had quite a bit of "history" on me, and I would've been nostalgic if I thought back to the age of 4.

If you read this board, especially in the '90s section, there's tons of people who feel this way as well. I've found the same basic thing to be true of people who I've asked about this stuff when it comes up. My parents have casually joked about how I am with that, because when they were each my age (god forbid younger) they never really nostalgized stuff. I imagine the older generations would find it harder to grasp. Sure, there may have been a couple college dudes in 1970 who fondly looked back on their '50s childhood, but I don't think that stuff was nearly as common. People tended to dream of the future more often. In fairness, the world probably seemed bigger without all the technology and entertainment. ;)

Whatever it is though, it's just something I've always been fascinated and kinda wondered about.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/01/07 at 6:50 pm

I am always getting nostalgic. I distinctly remember my father telling me to watch the moon landing, I remember it
like it was yesterday. I start many a conversation with The Boy with " When I was your age," or "When I was a kid."
I pass the house I grew up in every day on my way to work, The TV and CB antennas we had as kids are still attached
to the chimney. Not a day goes by that I don't look at that house and have the memories of youth come flooding back.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/07 at 11:02 pm

I am always getting nostalgic. I distinctly remember my father telling me to watch the moon landing, I remember it
like it was yesterday. I start many a conversation with The Boy with " When I was your age," or "When I was a kid."
I pass the house I grew up in every day on my way to work, The TV and CB antennas we had as kids are still attached
to the chimney. Not a day goes by that I don't look at that house and have the memories of youth come flooding back.  ;D

wow Kevin...I do the same thing you do. Infact, just today...I drove by our old house....it's almost like we should still be living there. It's strange...I mean, I notice things that are still the same too (the dent in the backyard fence, the silhouette of the same hanging ball lights that we used to have back then, the old metal screen door that still looks...well, old. It's almost like I should be pulling into the driveway, waiting for my mom to stick her head out the back door and greet me, as I run inside and up to my familiar bedroom...man, I miss that place, and I miss my childhood.

Written By: karen on 05/02/07 at 3:28 am

I guess for me some of the things you raise don't apply.  My mum and dad still live in the same house and my bedroom is still decorated how I left it when I moved out 15 years ago!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/02/07 at 5:05 am

Well, that's fair enough. You're a grown man in your 40s, so it would be perfectly normal for you to feel that way NOW. But, when you were 15 years old, did you ever think, "Whoa man, I miss from when I was 7!"

THAT's what I'm talking about - nostalgizing at a really young age.

I've done this a little more with each passing year since I was around 12. Although I didn't truly start feeling old until the one-two punch of losing my minor status as well as graduating high school at 18, lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/07 at 1:08 pm

The center of our neighborhood when I was a kid was a playground. We also used to "create" plays in the back yard that we basically preformed for ourselves. Many times our picnic table & benches were part of our scenery. (At one point, the picnic table bench was my balance beam-as I would pretend that I was in the Olympics.) And kids used to go out unsupervised all the time. We basically did what we wanted it just as long as we were home when the street lights came on. Now days, you wouldn't dare let a kid go out unsupervised. You hear about kids being snatched etc. I don't recall seeing neighborhood playgrounds any more. They are usually attached to schools.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/03/07 at 2:44 pm

I don't recall ever being bored and during the summer the only time I saw the inside of my house was for meals(unless I ate at a neighbor's house) and for sleep (unless I slept over someone's house).  We would get on our bikes and ride, we would go exploring, we would play house, wilderness family (kinda like house but we were living in the wilderness.  ;D) and so many other games.

During the winter we played in the snow, played board games or we'd play house inside. 

I think if I told my parents I was bored I probably would have gotten grounded.  ;D

I think there is less stuff for kids to do now or I should say, less stuff I feel comfortable letting them do alone.  I will not just open my door and let them go play for hours, I need to know where they are and what they're doing all the time.  Also the neighborhoods have changed more kids are in afterschool care/daycare so that there aren't a lot of kids around to play with.  My parents knew everyone on the block, I only know a few where I live.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 3:16 pm

Was I a dork? ;D

In the early-mid '90s, I was just as content to sit at home watching Unsolved Mysteries, VH1 or talk shows after school as I was to hang out with my friends. Despite this, I wasn't a couch potato though, lol (when I hung out with people, it was usually at school).

On the plus side, I guess it made me more intellectual and informed about things in the world.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/03/07 at 4:14 pm

wow Kevin...I do the same thing you do. Infact, just today...I drove by our old house....it's almost like we should still be living there. It's strange...I mean, I notice things that are still the same too (the dent in the backyard fence, the silhouette of the same hanging ball lights that we used to have back then, the old metal screen door that still looks...well, old. It's almost like I should be pulling into the driveway, waiting for my mom to stick her head out the back door and greet me, as I run inside and up to my familiar bedroom...man, I miss that place, and I miss my childhood.

I'm like that too and it was really fun going up to New York with my son and daughter.  I took them by my grammar school (not much changed except it looked a lot smaller) and the street I grew up on.  Went by my High School.  I saw places that haven't changed in 37 years and some changed so much that you wouldn't have recognized it if it hadn't been for the other stuff around it.  I drove by the Pink House (a little Cape Cod that was painted pink for as long as I can remember) only to find it covered in beige siding.  :\'(

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 4:53 pm

My Mom mentioned something about how I would sit under a tree in the back yard and play with my Barbies for hours.  She also stated that I made the tree into sort of a Barbie residence.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/03/07 at 5:58 pm

Well, that's fair enough. You're a grown man in your 40s, so it would be perfectly normal for you to feel that way NOW. But, when you were 15 years old, did you ever think, "Whoa man, I miss from when I was 7!"

THAT's what I'm talking about - nostalgizing at a really young age.

I've done this a little more with each passing year since I was around 12. Although I didn't truly start feeling old until the one-two punch of losing my minor status as well as graduating high school at 18, lol.

Now that we may be on the same page; no I didn't think of the past at a younger age. When I was 15 or so, all
I could think about was when I would be able to drink and drive, though not necessarily at the same time,  ;D and I
would think about how I could get the hot little number in High School or even the girl down the street. It wasn't
until I graduated High School and was out on my own that I realized how I, "had it made," when I was younger.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 9:39 pm

The center of our neighborhood when I was a kid was a playground. We also used to "create" plays in the back yard that we basically preformed for ourselves. Many times our picnic table & benches were part of our scenery. (At one point, the picnic table bench was my balance beam-as I would pretend that I was in the Olympics.) And kids used to go out unsupervised all the time. We basically did what we wanted it just as long as we were home when the street lights came on. Now days, you wouldn't dare let a kid go out unsupervised. You hear about kids being snatched etc. I don't recall seeing neighborhood playgrounds any more. They are usually attached to schools.

Cat

speaking of neighborhood playgrounds...my mom would always tell me how they would always have activities at the local playgrounds....they would even have a little wagon with a stage that they would set up there and they would have talent shows and put on little plays and stuff for the neighbors. Kids back then knew how to entertain themselves.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 9:41 pm

Now that we may be on the same page; no I didn't think of the past at a younger age. When I was 15 or so, all
I could think about was when I would be able to drink and drive, though not necessarily at the same time,  ;D and I
would think about how I could get the hot little number in High School or even the girl down the street. It wasn't
until I graduated High School and was out on my own that I realized how I, "had it made," when I was younger.

Yeah, that makes sense (sorry if I wasn't totally clear before, lol). My parents were sorta like that too. From the times I've asked them, they didn't start missing aspects of the past until at least their 30s, probably more like 40 though....and even then, they didn't do it half as much as me now. Which they playfully give me a hard time about. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/07 at 2:23 pm

speaking of neighborhood playgrounds...my mom would always tell me how they would always have activities at the local playgrounds....they would even have a little wagon with a stage that they would set up there and they would have talent shows and put on little plays and stuff for the neighbors. Kids back then knew how to entertain themselves.

In the summer, we had a "councilor" come with all sorts of "goodies"-arts & crafts stuff, coloring books, sports equipment, etc. She would orginize activities for the kids. Every week (or 2), we would have a "special" day. One time it was "Hat Day,"  "Costume Day", etc and there was judging in several catagories/prizes. Our favorite was always the "Saverger Hunt". We would have teams of 2 and was given a list. Then we would have to go to houses in the nieghborhood looking for these items. Yes, the entire neighborhood would be involved (similar to our Halloween which I have mentioned about in several threads). I can't remember if it was twice or once a week, our councilor would take the kids to a local pool. I only got to do this once because I was always too young (you had to be 8 to go) and when I was finally "of age", then we moved.  :\'( :\'(  The whole thing was almost like a day camp without the camp. The camp came to our neighborhood. I know they do something similar here in my town (in fact, I used to belong to the orginazation that put that program together).

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/07 at 11:00 pm

In the summer, we had a "councilor" come with all sorts of "goodies"-arts & crafts stuff, coloring books, sports equipment, etc. She would orginize activities for the kids. Every week (or 2), we would have a "special" day. One time it was "Hat Day,"  "Costume Day", etc and there was judging in several catagories/prizes. Our favorite was always the "Saverger Hunt". We would have teams of 2 and was given a list. Then we would have to go to houses in the nieghborhood looking for these items. Yes, the entire neighborhood would be involved (similar to our Halloween which I have mentioned about in several threads). I can't remember if it was twice or once a week, our councilor would take the kids to a local pool. I only got to do this once because I was always too young (you had to be 8 to go) and when I was finally "of age", then we moved.  :\'( :\'(  The whole thing was almost like a day camp without the camp. The camp came to our neighborhood. I know they do something similar here in my town (in fact, I used to belong to the orginazation that put that program together).

Cat

that sounds really fun, Cat. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/07 at 11:11 pm

The kids today have it too easy.  I wasn't alive in the old days, but growing up in the early 80s, we had no ipods, or hi def tVs or all these super graphics video games, and looking back now, I don't think i'd want that stuff back then.  When you grow up with not alot, you learn to appreciate later in life what you have when you can get alot

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/07 at 1:17 pm

The kids today have it too easy.  I wasn't alive in the old days, but growing up in the early 80s, we had no ipods, or hi def tVs or all these super graphics video games, and looking back now, I don't think i'd want that stuff back then.  When you grow up with not alot, you learn to appreciate later in life what you have when you can get alot

What? No ipods? No hi def tvs? How did you ever survive?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/14/07 at 3:16 am

Kids these days, they've got it so easy. Fire up the PC, click the mouse a few times, you've got all the porn you'll ever need right in front of you.

It wasn't like that back in the 80's. We actually had to go out and earn our porn.

Luckily for me, Rick and Jerry (we were probably about 12-13 at the time, which would've been around 1983-84), it just so happened that during that time there was a large residential subdivision under construction in our small town, and on the weekends when the construction workers weren't around we'd go exploring inside the half-finished houses. We quickly discovered that if porno magazines were like gold (which, to the average 13-year old male, they are), then a house that was under construction was like a gold mine.

Some kids our age moved into one of the new houses in the new subdivision right around that time, and although I got along with them all right (and sometimes I hung out with them) they were somewhat considered to be rivals to me, Rick and Jerry, mainly since we were all born on the same block and they were the newbies.

One summer, the "rival" kids built a fort in a field right next to the county road maintenance shops (which were just behind the new subdivision). A couple times late at night, we climbed over the 8-foot tall fence topped with barbed wire and into the lot outside the maintenance shops, because it was rumored that if you climbed inside the road graders and gravel trucks, they were a rich source of pornographic material as well. Needless to say, we were not disappointed.

Anyway, during one summer afternoon, we learned from a mutual friend that the "rival" kids were out of town on vacation and so Rick, Jerry and I decided to go on a mission to investigate this fort of theirs. When we arrived we quickly found that we had hit the mother lode. There were stacks and stacks of Playboys, Penthouses, Hustlers and Ouis. This was the Fort Knox of porn, and we had to raid it. But there must've literally been hundreds of them, way too many for us to carry.  So we each went home and got our wagons out of our parents' garages and grabbed some bookbags, and then we returned and cleared the place out. In hindsight I'm glad that my parents never caught me towing a wagonload of stroke books down the street at 3 in the afternoon because, well, I'm 36 years old now and I'd probably still be grounded if they would've seen me.

We got the porn safely back to Jerry's place, where we had spent a few afternoons converting an old tool shed in his backyard into our own fort, which we also used as a base of operations for our mudwhipping missions (which I'm sure I've mentioned here before somewhere). We spent many afternoons that summer hanging out and thumbing through the countless dirty magazines which we had amassed in out great raid.

Honestly? I'm almost glad we didn't have the Internet back then. It was so much more fun that way.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/29/07 at 11:35 pm

^ Must've missed this post before. ;)

Actually I was born in late 1981, but I paid attention to things pretty early and my meaningful memories go as far back as age 3-4. In some ways I'm probably like an "honorary 1977er" or so, because I know the mid '80s to some extent. Also, one of my best friends in Elementary school was four years older than me, so almost your age.

Yeah, I lived in both worlds at the same time until about 14 (when I definitely started considering myself more grownup). On the one hand, I liked watching shows like Unsolved Mysteries or stuff on VH1 and things that appealed to teens or adults, but I also still played water balloons, Super Soakers, rode bikes and many of the things you mentioned too.

My parents are different ages, but are generally Boomers in one way or another (my mom is 1954 and my dad is 1938). But almost all of my adult relatives had a youngish vibe to them for their ages and still basically do. They (as well as many of my friends/peers/classmates, or other people I knew as a kid) always liked some pop culture things in the '80s, explaining my early exposure to it - as well as some then-classic stuff too. I was always around cassettes, VCRs, video games and things like that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/31/07 at 12:01 am

Yeah, 5-6 years isn't really enough most of the time to seem like they're another generation, even if there's some minute differences. I've always been able to relate to 1975ers pretty well, and I now have come to feel the same with 1987ers. If you're dealing with only a few years gap like that, both people will more often than not relate to quite a bit of the same stuff, even if they didn't quite experience it on the same stage of life.

I think it takes more like 10 or 12 years to start really seeming like they're "different" people who are a little alien to you. Although this largely depends on who you ask. On a place like this dedicated to nostalgia, we might not be a totally accurate representation. We're probably more "old-school inclined" than certain people you'd interact with in the world. I have some friends a couple years older than me who are far less retroish than I am, and some are still almost like teenyboppers, lol.

There's, like 36-year olds who are into modern music, and 14-year olds who like classic rock. Especially as time goes on, tastes seem to be more individualistic with a little of everything depending on the person. I find this to be really fascinating, since you never know what to expect when you meet someone merely based on their age or appearance.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/07 at 1:13 pm

Good topic Marty, I think I'll add my experience here.

I grew up in the '90s, and I had video games(SNES, and then later the Sega Genesis), but to be honest I still spent most of my time outside playing with my brother, cousins, and neighbors. At one point, after I finally got the NES, I had 3 video games systems, but still I rarely spent more than 30 or 40 minutes playing video games at a time, and usually if I did play them I did so right before I went to bed, since it was dark and I couldn't play outside. Sure, I watched TV, but after watching about an hour of cartoons I would get bored and want to go outside and play anyway. The only time that I really spent alot of time watching TV was on Saturday mornings(but who didn't,lol). We didn't have a computer for along time(1999 I thing), so I basically had no experiences with computers at a young age.

I really don't know how much things have changed since then, I'm not really around little kids that much so I can't say from experience whether they spend more or less time outdoors than I did. I have noticed a few things though. Like back in the '90s Mp3 players, and cell phones were way too expensive for kids to have them, unlike today where your average 10 year old has both. When I was 10 I didn't even know what an Mp3 was,lol. Also most kids use the internet pretty regularly today, and usually at a pretty young age. We didn't have internet access at our house until I was 13, so I basically went my entire childhood without it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/01/07 at 8:42 pm

^ Yeah, I also had both lives sort of co-existing at once back in the late '80s and early-mid '90s too. I always tried to balance indoor entertainment with doing things outside with kids at school, etc. Despite the huge amount of time I watched TV as a kid and very early teen (centrally 9 to 13-14), I made sure I never became a couch potato, lol.

While cellphones did proliferate enough in the second half of the '90s for them to be pretty common, there were still alot of people who didn't have them. Certainly you didn't see every other person in the mall who had them. It was all older teens and adults too.

Sure, I had "technology" when I was 10 too, but it seems like tapes and video games were alot less annoying, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...