inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Move - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/07 at 9:27 pm

Led by Roy Wood, The Move was a British rock band that evolved into Electric Light Orchestra

NOTE:  'Do Ya' was the B-side to 'California Man' and was released as an A side in the US long after The Move had officially morphed into ELO.  The 1976 re-make by ELO was (of course) a much bigger hit

1967 - Night of Fear
1967 - I Can Hear the Grass Grow
1967 - Flowers in the Rain
1968 - Fire Brigade
1968 - Blackberry Way
1969 - Curly
1970 - Brontosaurus
1971 - Tonight
1971 - Chinatown
1972 - California Man
1974 - Do Ya

Subject: Re: The Move - Poll

Written By: zcrito on 05/07/07 at 10:50 pm

The Move?

I went with "Do Ya" since that's all I've ever heard by them. And I think if you hear the ELO version first (like I did) then the original song won't sound at all good.

And I believe "Do Ya" was a 1972 song.

Also one other thing I heard -- and I don't know if it's true or not -- but wasn't The Move the kind of group that would come out on stage and the only thing there would be some old late model auto and they would then take sledge hammers and beat the crap out of it and then just leave the stage? I heard they did that once and the crowd loved it. Maybe it was someone else?

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/07 at 11:00 pm

It was yes.  It somehow took a while though to get released in the U.S.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/07/07 at 11:48 pm

"Night of Fear" for me

Written By: Paul on 05/08/07 at 7:09 am

Absolutely fine group, who stood out from their contemporaries with Roy's fantastically original songs and their ever-changing 'image'...

You believe right...it was issued on the flip of 'California Man' in the UK...

Also one other thing I heard -- and I don't know if it's true or not -- but wasn't The Move the kind of group that would come out on stage and the only thing there would be some old late model auto and they would then take sledge hammers and beat the crap out of it and then just leave the stage? I heard they did that once and the crowd loved it. Maybe it was someone else?

Yep...although only the vocalist (the late Carl Wayne) actually indulged in the demolition while the other group played on as best they could!

Actually, nothing was safe...and Carl would also attack TV sets and sometimes, the stage floor! (You couldn't do this today what with Health & Safety issues!)

But their greatest 'PR' stunt was issuing a saucy postcard of then-British PM Harold Wilson in a 'compromising situation' with his secretary to promote 'Flowers In The Rain'...

However, the stunt backfired when Wilson sued them for libel and won...and to this day (much to RW's annoyance) the court ruling states that the royalties from the record goes to charity...

Apologies for the waffle...my favourite 'Fire Brigade', but they're all pretty fantastic...

Written By: zcrito on 05/10/07 at 4:46 pm

Absolutely fine group, who stood out from their contemporaries with Roy's fantastically original songs and their ever-changing 'image'...

You believe right...it was issued on the flip of 'California Man' in the UK...

Yep...although only the vocalist (the late Carl Wayne) actually indulged in the demolition while the other group played on as best they could!

Actually, nothing was safe...and Carl would also attack TV sets and sometimes, the stage floor! (You couldn't do this today what with Health & Safety issues!)

But their greatest 'PR' stunt was issuing a saucy postcard of then-British PM Harold Wilson in a 'compromising situation' with his secretary to promote 'Flowers In The Rain'...

However, the stunt backfired when Wilson sued them for libel and won...and to this day (much to RW's annoyance) the court ruling states that the royalties from the record goes to charity...

Apologies for the waffle...my favourite 'Fire Brigade', but they're all pretty fantastic...

Something I heard once years ago, and never forgot, turns out to be true.
(must update some brain cells now...)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/07 at 8:19 am

Blackberry Way

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/07 at 10:20 am

Fire Brigade

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/07 at 10:20 am

Fire Brigade
But I like then all.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/16/07 at 2:20 pm

Flowers In the Rain for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...