inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Steppenwolf

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/07 at 11:00 pm

The roots of Steppenwolf began in 1964 when British born singer Jack London formed the group "Jack London and the Sparrows" in Oshawa, Ontario.  Following several line-up changes, the band ended up becoming a success on Canadian radio with several popular singles. 

In 1965, the group changed their name to "The Sparrows" and replaced Jack London with German-born Canadian singer-songwriter John Kay, and the following year, the band shortened their name to "Sparrow" and moved from Canada to the United States in order to break the American market.  During this time, several members left, which split the band into two factions, before several core members re-joined John Kay, and in 1967, Steppenwolf was born ...

Jack London and the Sparrows
Year 1964 1965 1965 1965

Song Title If You Don't Want My Love Our Love is Passed I'll Be the Boy Give My Love to Sally

Canada #3 #7 #19 #13

The Sparrows
Year 1965

Song Title Hard Times With the Law

Canada #13

Steppenwolf
Year 1968 1968 1969 1969 19691970197019701970 1971 1971 1971 1974

Song Title Born to Be Wild Magic Carpet Ride Rock Me It's Never Too Late Move Over Monster Hey Lawdy Mama Screaming Night Hog Who Needs You Snow Blind Friend Ride With Me For Ladies Only Straight Shootin' Woman

Canada #1#1#4 #33 #12 #16#18#50 #28 #37 #29 #28 #5

United States #2#3#10 #51 #31 #39#35#62 #54 #60 #52 #64 #29

United Kingdom #30 *---- -- -- ------ -- -- -- -- --

* 'Born to Be Wild' re-charted at UK #18 in 1999

John Kay (solo)
Year 1972 1973 1973

Song Title I'm Movin' On Moonshine (Friend of Mine) Easy Evil

Canada #45 #26 #82

United States #52 -- --

Subject: Re: Steppenwolf

Written By: Henk on 05/14/07 at 12:18 am

Steppenwolf weren't particularly popular in The Netherlands. They've only had one song making Top 40...three times!

Born To Be Wild first hit the charts in 1968 (peaking at #32). It re-charted in 1973 (peaking at #16) and most recently in 1990 (peaking at #4).

Magic Carpet Ride got stuck in bubbling under section in 1968. And that's it.

Some additional information:
Of the 1968 line-up, I think only John Kay and Michael Monarch are still alive. Rushton Moreve died in 1981, Jerry Edmonton died in 1993, if I'm correct.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/07 at 1:16 am

Some additional information:
Of the 1968 line-up, I think only John Kay and Michael Monarch are still alive. Rushton Moreve died in 1981, Jerry Edmonton died in 1993, if I'm correct.

You would be correct yes.  Both Moreve and Edmonton died in car accidents :(

John Kay is the only remaining member of the original Steppenwolf, and often tours Canada under the name 'John Kay and Steppenwolf'.  He was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in 2004 (a section of sidewalks in Toronto which is similar to the Hollywood Walk of Fame)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/14/07 at 6:35 pm

Love Steppenwolf!  :)

Here in the U.S., I know 'Born To Be Wild' was always the best known.  A true classic.

'Magic Carpet Ride' seemed almost forgotten, but in recent years has been getting a lot more notice (it's shown up in several popular commercials lately).

Their hit 'Rock Me' seems underrated.  I always liked that song but don't hear it much.

I had the good fortune a couple of years ago to catch part of a (fairly recent) televised concert of theirs on PBS.  I was travelling at the time.  I've been scouring the TV guide ever since to see if PBS would rebroadcast it here - but they haven't.  >:(

Thanks for all the info about the group, most of which I didn't know.  It's sad to learn that two of the original members have passed on already  :(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/14/07 at 7:22 pm

I always liked Magic Carpet Ride. I can do without Born to Be Wild for a few more decades, lol.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/14/07 at 8:23 pm

my favorite is "The Pusher"

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/07 at 5:35 am

my favorite is "The Pusher"

I noticed that had been left off of the list.  I remember a lot of people listening to that and flushing the pills away(thank goddess).  That being said  Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride always do it for me    :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/15/07 at 7:25 pm

I noticed that had been left off of the list.  I remember a lot of people listening to that and flushing the pills away(thank goddess).  That being said  Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride always do it for me    :)
yes, I'm surprised it wasn't on the list and I believe  it may be the B side to Magic Carpet Ride on 45 rpm which is an awesome song. 

Written By: nally on 05/15/07 at 8:33 pm

I like "Born To Be Wild" the best. O0

Written By: zcrito on 05/20/07 at 3:51 pm

I always liked their

Screaming Night Hog (1970)
Hey Lawdy Mama (1970)
And
Magic Carpet Ride (1968)

That's about it. I liked "Born to be Wild" when I was 14-15 years old but haven't really cared much for it since.

Their "Steppenwolf Gold: Their Greatest Hits" album was one of the first record albums I ever bought.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/21/07 at 1:42 pm

'Magic Carpet Ride' is my favorite...followed by 'Born To Be Wild'... 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...