inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Really weeeird Yugoslavian cartoon from 1961

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 8:37 pm

SUROGAT--ERSATZ--SUBSTITUTE

This cartoon was in the film library at the school where my dad taught in the '70s.  I haven't seen this in 28 years and I never thought I would again.  Thank God for Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjxDY4ZP38

A tourist takes a beach holiday in which he inflates everything he needs for his experience.  Were the directors making a statement about how artificial our experiences were becoming in the post-war world of plastics?  Possibly.  It is even more relevant today as an analogy for our "cyber world," our "virtual reality."  Perhaps? 

Or is it just a weird cartoon?

I knew it as "Ersatz" because that's what was printed on the reel cannister.  Back then it was "Yugoslavian."  Today you'd call it "Croatian."
:)

Subject: Re: Really weeeird Yugoslavian cartoon from 1961

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 1:18 am

when I click on the link this message pops up in Youtube This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Rembrandt Films
I wanted to see this, doggone it  >:( I can't comment on the directors intent, and it does seem very weird.  I still call it Yugoslavian as that is my heritage on my mom's side & she lived there during Tito's reign, but if I'm gonna live in the now, today we call it Serbian.  Max, your analogy may be on the mark looking at how we exist in cyber/digital/virtual worlds. I'll go with that.

Check for new replies or respond here...