inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do any of you actually know somebody that was alive in the 1800's?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/07 at 9:27 am

Someone that lived near where we used to back in the '90s was born in 1888, and lived to be 108. And my great grandmother who is still alive today was born in 1896.

How about you guys. Do any of you know anybody that was alive in the 19th century, even if for only a year or two?

Subject: Re: Do any of you actually know somebody that was alive in the 1800's?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 9:39 am

I can distinctly remember visiting and talking to one of my father's aunts, Ada was her name and she was born in August 1891, but at that time I was young and never got to ask the questions I would wish to ask her today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/17/07 at 9:51 am

I've actually thought about this myself for awhile. the possibility of all the 1800ers dying out in another 8-12 years. That's sad, and not just in a personal way, but a historic way too. Like even seeing the old lady in The Titanic in 1997, or seeing footage of the survivors of the 1906 San Francisco quake reminds me of this fact.

My grandpa on my dad's side was an April 1900er, and from what I know secondhand, he had some great "journeying to America and starting a new life" stories. He died just after I turned 3, at the very end of 1984, so I only have the absolute foggiest memory of him, unfortunately.

I'm not sure who the oldest person I know or have talked with is, actually.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 9:54 am

On simlilar lines, (I have not met them) there are only three British Soldiers left that fought in the Great War (1914-18) and one of them Harry Allingham is currently the oldest man in the UK.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/07 at 10:09 am

I've actually thought about this myself for awhile. the possibility of all the 1800ers dying out in another 8-12 years. That's sad, and not just in a personal way, but a historic way too. Like even seeing the old lady in The Titanic in 1997, or seeing footage of the survivors of the 1906 San Francisco quake reminds me of this fact.

My grandpa on my dad's side was an April 1900er, and from what I know secondhand, he had some great "journeying to America and starting a new life" stories. He died just after I turned 3, at the very end of 1984, so I only have the absolute foggiest memory of him, unfortunately.

I'm not sure who the oldest person I know or have talked with is, actually.

Yeah, even people born in the late 1890's are approching 110 years old, so in a few years there will be very few of the left :( All my grandparents were born in the 1920's and 1930's, and one of my uncle's was born in 1915, so I do know some older people.

On a side note though, my grandfather actually met someone who served in the Civil War. He was born in 1922, and his great grandfather was born in the 1840's and fought in a few Civil War battle's in the 1860's. He didn't die until the late '30s, so my grandfather knew him pretty well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/07 at 10:16 am

yes, my great grandma...who ended up passing away years ago, when she was 101 years old. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/07 at 11:18 am

I feel honored that I was able to meet my great-grandparents. They were both remarkable people and I had a special kinship with my great-grandfather which I wish would have lasted longer. Both are no longer with us.  :\'( He passed away when I was about 6 and she when I was about 7. Right now, the oldest person I know is my grandmother (their daughter) who will turn the big 100 next year.  :o :o :o  The party is being planned. She still is as sharp as a tack.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/07 at 1:34 pm

I feel honored that I was able to meet my great-grandparents. They were both remarkable people and I had a special kinship with my great-grandfather which I wish would have lasted longer. Both are no longer with us.  :\'( He passed away when I was about 6 and she when I was about 7. Right now, the oldest person I know is my grandmother (their daughter) who will turn the big 100 next year.  :o :o :o  The party is being planned. She still is as sharp as a tack.

Cat

wow, that's great! I only had the opportunity to meet one of my great grandmas....but the funny thing is that she didn't speak English at all...just all Italian. She was an amazing woman though...she lived in her own house until she passed away, she did everything by herself (kept a garden, cleaned, walked to church everyday, etc)...she was a spry woman.

Written By: Marian on 07/17/07 at 1:53 pm

wow, that's great! I only had the opportunity to meet one of my great grandmas....but the funny thing is that she didn't speak English at all...just all Italian. She was an amazing woman though...she lived in her own house until she passed away, she did everything by herself (kept a garden, cleaned, walked to church everyday, etc)...she was a spry woman.
I don't know anyone alive today who was born in the 19th century,but all  of my great grandparents were and I think I met the ones from Poland and the ones from Sweden.English was their second language and i may have somewhat picked some of their speech pattern from them--I was a baby--so not very much.My most recent great grandparent memory was of seeing my great grandfather in montana in 1973.He was born in the 1880s and lived to be 89 I believe.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 07/17/07 at 1:54 pm

This isn't really valid now, but my dad's parents were born 1890-91.  I only have vague memories of my grandmother, who died when I was about 4, and worse, they lived in ME far from me.  But I knew her husband well, visiting several times until he died at age 98.  He was a real sharp tack himself.  He even played 1-on-1 baseball with me when I was 10 (he about 89), and slid into 2nd base to get me out!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 11:57 am

Yeah, even people born in the late 1890's are approching 110 years old, so in a few years there will be very few of the left :( All my grandparents were born in the 1920's and 1930's, and one of my uncle's was born in 1915, so I do know some older people.

On a side note though, my grandfather actually met someone who served in the Civil War. He was born in 1922, and his great grandfather was born in the 1840's and fought in a few Civil War battle's in the 1860's. He didn't die until the late '30s, so my grandfather knew him pretty well.

Yeah, even an 1899er whom merely existed then at the very fringe of their existance, would be 108 now. Let's say you'd have to be 112 to remember it in the slightest, and about 116 to know it with clarity (if they were about 7 or older before the turn of the century).

It's amazing when you think about it now, that we're actually only one link away from people who were around for the Civil War or for the 19th Century. And I'm sure the "old-timers" of the 1930s who were born c. 1860 would've looked at the modern world as quite a bit more foreign and futuristic than most living people could for today.

You're lucky you still have living grandparents to hear things like that from firsthand, though. I wish I still did - mine died of old age or heart attacks by the time I was 11 going on 12.

Somewhat off-topic, but I've seen this Unsolved Mysteries segment about an old guy in the late 1940s who claimed he was the real Billy The Kid (whom wasn't killed, as is commonly thought). Anyway, in one part of the episode, they depicted him driving around with his lawyer, pointing out some of the old spots he'd once been to, as part of verifying that he really was who he said he was. And I just thought to myself (even if the real thing didn't play out the exact same way) about how nostalgic things like that must've been.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/07 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, even an 1899er whom merely existed then at the very fringe of their existance, would be 108 now. Let's say you'd have to be 112 to remember it in the slightest, and about 116 to know it with clarity (if they were about 7 or older before the turn of the century).

It's amazing when you think about it now, that we're actually only one link away from people who were around for the Civil War or for the 19th Century. And I'm sure the "old-timers" of the 1930s who were born c. 1860 would've looked at the modern world as quite a bit more foreign and futuristic than most living people could for today.

You're lucky you still have living grandparents to hear things like that from firsthand, though. I wish I still did - mine died of old age or heart attacks by the time I was 11 going on 12.

Yeah, 3 of my 4 grandparents are still living today. My grandmother on my dad's side died back in 1998, but other than that the other three are still living. As a said, my grandfather on my dad's side was born in 1922, and on my mom's side, both my grandparents were born in the '30s. I really do fell lucky that my great grandmother is still alive today(I found out I was wrong about her age. I thought she was born in 1896, but I asked and she was actually born in 1906). I know that she can remember when the Titanic sunk, and when World War I began, but I don't really get to see her much :(.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/07 at 12:19 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but I've seen this Unsolved Mysteries segment about an old guy in the late 1940s who claimed he was the real Billy The Kid (whom wasn't killed, as is commonly thought). Anyway, in one part of the episode, they depicted him driving around with his lawyer, pointing out some of the old spots he'd once been to, as part of verifying that he really was who he said he was. And I just thought to myself (even if the real thing didn't play out the exact same way) about how nostalgic things like that must've been.

In the book Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen, he talks about Kiswahili terms for looking at the past. Sasha-the recently departed or the living dead that is still remember. Zamani-the long gone. He pointed out what was Sasha to some is Zamani to others-such as Vietnam & Watergate. To me WWII is Zamani but to my parents it is Sasha. I think these terms give history perspective.

Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/20/07 at 8:16 am

I did.  My Grandmother on my mother's side was born in 1899 but she is gone now.

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 4:50 pm

My Great-Uncle Vic was born in 1998.  I have fond memories of him.  He liked songs such as "Old Folks At Home" and "Little Brown Jug".  He dies when he 93.  I still miss him.

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 5:30 pm

My Dad's Grandma was born in 1894. She was 103 when she died.

Written By: hot_wax on 07/21/07 at 9:16 pm

I still remember them well, although now all passed away, but 3 of my grandparents were born in mid-1890's and my father's father was born in 1886.

Written By: karen on 07/23/07 at 9:35 am

I can only vaguely remember meeting my grandmother's mum when she was about 98 years old.  I was about 4 or 5 at the time so it would have been sometime around 1973/74.  She must have been born around the 1870's.  She was very ill when I met her and died not long afterwards.

My grandad's mum died when I was about 11 or 12.  She was born around 1890 or so. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/07 at 6:14 pm

I did know people born in the 1800's.  My grandparents, and my grandmothers sister and brother, and a couple of their friends.  My grandmother knew her grandmother who was born in 1802(died in 1906).  My grandmother didn't talk much about the past though.  She had something like 10 brothers and sister, only 3 made it past 30, she saw them all die. Her mother in childbirth, her father in a fire, and her brothers and sisters who made it through the birth to influenza or consumption.  She was always concerned when any of us started to cough, we used to shrug it off not knowing the whole history until we were much older.  My grandfather was the son of slaves who were freed during the civil war and moved north being afraid that slavery would rear its head again in the south, they weren't too far from the truth.

Written By: gmann on 07/29/07 at 10:46 pm

My maternal great-grandfather Oscar was born in 1886. He died several years ago, but lived long enough for me and my older sister to have an opportunity to know him. He was a funny guy; he once offered me a sample of his chewing tobacco. I said "no thanks".  :)

Written By: dodgeboy on 07/30/07 at 1:46 pm

Yes I knew one very old lady who lived to be 107 in 1990, so she was born in 1883. She was the grandma of one of my mom's friends.

Written By: Banks on 09/07/07 at 2:25 am

My great-great aunty was born in London in 1880. She died when she was 102. She lived nextdoor to my Nana and Farder (grandfather). I have always been a HUGE history buff, even when I was a little kid, especially about things like Jack The Ripper and the streets of London. My Great-great aunty Laura used to tell me stories about what her life was like living in London around the time of Jack the Ripper, about the London pea Soupers, the handsome cabs, the cobbled streets, the tiny living areas, bringing in the new century (1900) huddled up in a blanket sitting alongside the Thames watching fireworks, her trip to Sydney (Australia) on a sailing boat, moving to Newcastle (where I live), her husband fighting in the First World War, stories of being in London during the Second World War...My only wish was that I hadve had the foresight to get her talking on tape or on video somehow. Of course, being only 10 when she died I wasnt thinking of the history for future generations...Only about the history for myself.

Then, I have the same wish that I couldve got my Grandparents talking on video ot tape about their lives....

Its sad that as each older person dies, a lifetime of history goes with them.

AN

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/07 at 9:17 pm

What really fascinates me is that if you talked to one of these 100 + year old seniors they might have seen or talked to a 100 + year old person when they were a kid, this is what gives me a rush...to think I had a connection to a person living in the 1700's, who maybe voted in the first presidential race in the USA...I don't know why that scenario intrigues my imagination, but it always did.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/07 at 3:29 pm

What really fascinates me is that if you talked to one of these 100 + year old seniors they might have seen or talked to a 100 + year old person when they were a kid, this is what gives me a rush...to think I had a connection to a person living in the 1700's, who maybe voted in the first presidential race in the USA...I don't know why that scenario intrigues my imagination, but it always did.

It just make the past that much closer.

BTW, I noticed you posted on Sep. 7th-which was my grandmother's 99th birthday.  :o :o :o  We are planning the BIG party for next year.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/11/07 at 8:42 pm

It just make the past that much closer.

BTW, I noticed you posted on Sep. 7th-which was my grandmother's 99th birthday.  :o :o :o  We are planning the BIG party for next year.

Cat

WOW! 99 years old! God blessed her and blessed all of her family to still have her here to enjoy. Cat, record these times like Alrigth Now mentioned in her reply. I only wish I would have done it with all my grandparents especially my moms mom who lived the longest out of all my grandparents, she was only 87 when she past away in 1986.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/11/07 at 9:45 pm

I did know people born in the 1800's.  My grandparents, and my grandmothers sister and brother, and a couple of their friends.  My grandmother knew her grandmother who was born in 1802(died in 1906).  My grandmother didn't talk much about the past though.  She had something like 10 brothers and sister, only 3 made it past 30, she saw them all die. Her mother in childbirth, her father in a fire, and her brothers and sisters who made it through the birth to influenza or consumption.   She was always concerned when any of us started to cough, we used to shrug it off not knowing the whole history until we were much older.  My grandfather was the son of slaves who were freed during the civil war and moved north being afraid that slavery would rear its head again in the south, they weren't too far from the truth.

I have to say, your repy is the most fascinating, at least to me it is. Your grandmom knew her grandmom born in 1802, there's that senerio that intigues me, knowing someone who knew someone who was involed with people from the 1700's while growing up, and your grandfather must of had hundreds of stories about his life. the same fate happen to our family like your family, along with your great aunts and uncles, my natural grandmother, my fathers mom, and thousands of others in the USA, died in 1918 of influenza during the epidemic that was started by the WWI soldiers when they were returning home from Europe after the war. I know very little of her life too, it's a shame.   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/07 at 12:12 pm

WOW! 99 years old! God blessed her and blessed all of her family to still have her here to enjoy. Cat, record these times like Alrigth Now mentioned in her reply. I only wish I would have done it with all my grandparents especially my moms mom who lived the longest out of all my grandparents, she was only 87 when she past away in 1986.

Someone in the family had a bunch of old home movies (8 and/or 16 millimeter-probably dating back to the 1920s and ending in the 1960s). I think my brother or my mother put them on video and my sister sat down to watch them with my grandmother and had a tape recorder going so my grandmother could say who and what was going on in the movies. My brother than put it on disks and sent those disks to all of us-so we each have a copy of the old home movies with my grandmother's narration. It is truly a very priceless item to have. I am very grateful for my brother & sister doing that.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/13/07 at 9:01 pm

Someone in the family had a bunch of old home movies (8 and/or 16 millimeter-probably dating back to the 1920s and ending in the 1960s). I think my brother or my mother put them on video and my sister sat down to watch them with my grandmother and had a tape recorder going so my grandmother could say who and what was going on in the movies. My brother than put it on disks and sent those disks to all of us-so we each have a copy of the old home movies with my grandmother's narration. It is truly a very priceless item to have. I am very grateful for my brother & sister doing that.

Cat

That was nice of your brother and sister to do that for the family. I'd like to start a history book of sorts to pass down to my generations ahead and they can add to it and so and so on...we will live in their minds for maybe a millenium, and who knows maybe I could influence one of my great great grandkids in a life altering decision...cool!

Written By: Banks on 09/14/07 at 7:12 am

'That was nice of your brother and sister to do that for the family. I'd like to start a history book of sorts to pass down to my generations ahead and they can add to it and so and so on...we will live in their minds for maybe a millenium, and who knows maybe I could influence one of my great great grandkids in a life altering decision...cool! '

Thats exactly what I am doing, except in video form. I have many hours of video from around 1966 to now  (before 1977 they are silent films put on video, a number of them feature myself...I also have 52 three hour videos of my daughter, who is nine years old in December)...My hope is that my daughter will do the same for her kids and so on and so forth, so that, in the distant future, the generations of my family will be able to see and hear not only how their ancestors looked and sounded, but also how and where they lived.

Already I can watch the videos I took in the very early 1990's and see the changes around my home town and in my family. Theres even more of a change between the 1980's and the 1970's videos and now.

AN

Written By: hot_wax on 09/14/07 at 9:08 pm

'That was nice of your brother and sister to do that for the family. I'd like to start a history book of sorts to pass down to my generations ahead and they can add to it and so and so on...we will live in their minds for maybe a millenium, and who knows maybe I could influence one of my great great grandkids in a life altering decision...cool! '

Thats exactly what I am doing, except in video form. I have many hours of video from around 1966 to now  (before 1977 they are silent films put on video, a number of them feature myself...I also have 52 three hour videos of my daughter, who is nine years old in December)...My hope is that my daughter will do the same for her kids and so on and so forth, so that, in the distant future, the generations of my family will be able to see and hear not only how their ancestors looked and sounded, but also how and where they lived.

Already I can watch the videos I took in the very early 1990's and see the changes around my home town and in my family. Theres even more of a change between the 1980's and the 1970's videos and now.

AN

I have hundreds of photos of both my wife's and my family dating back from around 1900, that's were I start my visual history book. I know there's home movies scattered around the family of my relatives from 50's and then me and family life's history starts on super 8 films from 1968 and then the video era from around 1980 to date. I want to put eveything, photos and all on today's disc technology and hope the same technology is available in the future to retrieve it or hope they would, or could, download everything onto their new technology to pass them on to the future...that's so cool to think about.

or maybe this one might be cooler... If I was given 3 wishes, 1 would be to go back into time and meet every one of my blood line relatives from when they stood up straight and ate Mammoth meat to survive...just give that a thought for one moment, we are all here today because of them and we all had blood relatives from 1000 generations ago, wouldn't you like to know who and what they did over those milleniums for you to be here today? did you every have a Dejavu and don't know why?, maybe it's one of their genes that was passed on from 1000 years ago that recognized the situation and gave you flash of the past...maybe?? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/07 at 1:02 pm

I have hundreds of photos of both my wife's and my family dating back from around 1900, that's were I start my visual history book. I know there's home movies scattered around the family of my relatives from 50's and then me and family life's history starts on super 8 films from 1968 and then the video era from around 1980 to date. I want to put eveything, photos and all on today's disc technology and hope the same technology is available in the future to retrieve it or hope they would, or could, download everything onto their new technology to pass them on to the future...that's so cool to think about.

or maybe this one might be cooler... If I was given 3 wishes, 1 would be to go back into time and meet every one of my blood line relatives from when they stood up straight and ate Mammoth meat to survive...just give that a thought for one moment, we are all here today because of them and we all had blood relatives from 1000 generations ago, wouldn't you like to know who and what they did over those milleniums for you to be here today? did you every have a Dejavu and don't know why?, maybe it's one of their genes that was passed on from 1000 years ago that recognized the situation and gave you flash of the past...maybe?? 

My mother does genealogy. She has traced my family (both her side & my dad's side) back to the "old country" (my dad's side-that was Russia & Poland mid 19th century). I think my mom's side came here shortly after the pilgrims landed at Plymouth. 

A funny thing happened a few years ago. Carlos' youngest daughter was part of a dance group that went overseas. This guy in Germany saw her last name (which is the same as his), and contacted her. She in turn kind of passed him to Carlos (she was only about 16 at the time and wasn't interested). This guy sent Carlos some info about his family tree-coming out of the Black Forest and settling in Stetton, Germany. Carlos has this image of these people with animal furs on their back and battle axes in hand, peering out between the trees.  :D ;D ;D The guy also gave him some info on his (I can't remember how many "greats") grandfather who fought in the Napoleonic wars and was killed by a bunch of farmers in Spain. We suspect that it was because of 2 reasons: He was either stealing their chickens or stealing their daughters. Our guess is it the latter.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/16/07 at 7:54 pm

My mother does genealogy. She has traced my family (both her side & my dad's side) back to the "old country" (my dad's side-that was Russia & Poland mid 19th century). I think my mom's side came here shortly after the pilgrims landed at Plymouth.  

A funny thing happened a few years ago. Carlos' youngest daughter was part of a dance group that went overseas. This guy in Germany saw her last name (which is the same as his), and contacted her. She in turn kind of passed him to Carlos (she was only about 16 at the time and wasn't interested). This guy sent Carlos some info about his family tree-coming out of the Black Forest and settling in Stetton, Germany. Carlos has this image of these people with animal furs on their back and battle axes in hand, peering out between the trees.  :D ;D ;D The guy also gave him some info on his (I can't remember how many "greats") grandfather who fought in the Napoleonic wars and was killed by a bunch of farmers in Spain. We suspect that it was because of 2 reasons: He was either stealing their chickens or stealing their daughters. Our guess is it the latter.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I like it, I like the intrigue of what our fore fathers did in their lifetime, maybe one a Roman Senator or a stone mason constructing Cathedrals in Europe, hey! I don't think any were lonely sheep herders otherwise I wouldn't be here now!! 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/07 at 5:08 pm

The only person I recall knowing was my great grandmother, who was born in 1896. I hardly remember her, but I did know her somewhat and hear lots of stories about her from my Grandma (b. 1929)

Written By: Dukeoworc on 12/02/07 at 11:52 am

Having been born in 1951 myself, I happen to have had grandparents who were all born in the 1890s. That would include both of my mother's parents and my father's mother (his father having died before I came along). If you count 1900 as the 19th century (which many people did back then), then one of my uncles would count, too. He married my father's older sister (who was born in the 20th century, but he was older than her). He lived to be 90-something, so I remember talking with him about fifteen years ago. My aunt told a funny story about taking him to the hospital for an emergency (from which he recovered--otherwise it wouldn't be quite so funny). The admitting nurse asked for his year of birth. My aunt said, "Nineteen hundred." The nurse said, "Nineteen hundred and what?" My aunt said, "Nineteen hundred and nothing!"

Written By: Nozmo on 12/17/07 at 11:36 pm

My Grandfather was born in 1898. He died in 1988.

Nozmo

Written By: cables on 12/30/07 at 2:25 pm

On simlilar lines, (I have not met them) there are only three British Soldiers left that fought in the Great War (1914-18) and one of them Harry Allingham is currently the oldest man in the UK.

Three of my grandparents were born in 1900, the fourth was younger. They all died many years ago, but I vaguely remember meeting some of their brothers and sisters. I suspect some of the brothers and sisters will have been older, which means they were born in the 1800s. I definitely met people born in the 1800s as part of my job in the 1980s.

Sad to report that Philip's post (quoted above) has become out of date in the last five months. Harry Patch is now the only British survivor of World War 1. God bless you Harry.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/30/07 at 7:22 pm

My great-grandma Nana was born in 1890.  She died in 1980 so I had 9 years with her.  When we were cleaning out my grandma's house after my father died I found a bunch of her report cards from 1896 or so.  They are in really good condition since they spent all these years in a box in a drawer. 

Written By: holicman on 12/30/07 at 8:21 pm

Three of my grandparents were born in 1900, the fourth was younger. They all died many years ago, but I vaguely remember meeting some of their brothers and sisters. I suspect some of the brothers and sisters will have been older, which means they were born in the 1800s. I definitely met people born in the 1800s as part of my job in the 1980s.

Sad to report that Philip's post (quoted above) has become out of date in the last five months. Harry Patch is now the only British survivor of World War 1. God bless you Harry.

what happened to Sir Henry Allingham ?

Written By: cables on 12/31/07 at 3:14 am

According to Wikipedia he's still alive, which suggests my information was incorrect.

For this year's rememberance day service, they definitely said that Harry Patch was the only one left.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/08 at 4:06 pm

I don think that Henry Allingham has been knighted yet.

Written By: 66drivein on 02/03/08 at 10:20 pm

My great grand dad was born in 1883 and passed away in 1979. He was 96.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/20/08 at 11:33 pm

I never met them, but my great-grandparents on both sides of my family were born in the 1860s/1870s.

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 6:15 pm

wow, i don't i always said i would love to sit and have a lengthy conversation with someone born them. imagine the things they have seen. so those of you that do know someone during that time, have they talked about what its like now, and their feelings about things like the tv and the clothes and just anything, i would be interested to hear :)

Written By: hot_wax on 03/02/08 at 10:17 pm

wow, i don't i always said i would love to sit and have a lengthy conversation with someone born them. imagine the things they have seen. so those of you that do know someone during that time, have they talked about what its like now, and their feelings about things like the tv and the clothes and just anything, i would be interested to hear :)

Mary, you just reminded me of someone who is a neighbor of mine, Ervina, she just turned 100 this past December, she is a young 100, she always in her garden and putzing around her house and you forget she's that old for what she does. I'm going to do what you mentioned and ask her about what she lived through that we only read about today.

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with a neighbor who owned a small business at the top of our street, he made harmonicas and reeds for musical instruments and was retiring after running the business since the early 1920's, he was in his 90's then and still alive today living in Connecticut. His family was part of our town for generations and when we talked he gave me a history lesson on my hometown that isn't written in any book, he told me where blacksmiths businesses were located old taverns that where around since the the turn of the 1800 century and dirt roads now are super highways, Revolutionary War homes that were on my street and the surrounding neighborhood that where torn down in the name of progress. I learned so much more information in one hour that I should write down for future generations, I'll do it and add what Ervina will have to say too.   

Written By: ninny on 03/03/08 at 8:15 am

My Great-Grandfather was born in 1874,he died in 1975. I was 15 when he died. He was 101,and would of lived longer but he fell asleep smoking a cigar and he and the chair caught fire :\'(  3 of my grandparents were born in the late 1890's one died in 1972,one in1980 and the other in 1989, my fourth grandparent was born in 1903 and died in 2005.Ican remember great times with all my grandparents, both sets ended up being farmers,my moms parents did not farm until they were in their late 30's,they originally lived in Rochester,NY, were my grandfather was a chauffeur for Henry Strong (Whom Strong Memorial Hospital was named after) he decided the country was a better place to raise my mom. My fathers parents both come from a long line of farmers (neither of my parents wanted to continue that tradition)

Written By: Marian on 03/11/08 at 2:34 pm

me too.

Written By: Marian on 03/11/08 at 2:35 pm

My Great-Grandfather was born in 1874,he died in 1975. I was 15 when he died. He was 101,and would of lived longer but he fell asleep smoking a cigar and he and the chair caught fire :\'(  3 of my grandparents were born in the late 1890's one died in 1972,one in1980 and the other in 1989, my fourth grandparent was born in 1903 and died in 2005.Ican remember great times with all my grandparents, both sets ended up being farmers,my moms parents did not farm until they were in their late 30's,they originally lived in Rochester,NY, were my grandfather was a chauffeur for Henry Strong (Whom Strong Memorial Hospital was named after) he decided the country was a better place to raise my mom. My fathers parents both come from a long line of farmers (neither of my parents wanted to continue that tradition)
Holy crap!That's why they shouldn't allow soming in nursing or convalescent homes,or retirement homes.

Written By: draykno on 04/16/08 at 11:16 pm

[
How about you guys. Do any of you know anybody that was alive in the 19th century, even if for only a year or two?

When I was growing up, we spent a lot of  time with my great aunt and uncle.  Both of them have been gone for many years, but my great uncle could remember when Abraham Lincoln was president.  It has always blown me away that I have very clear memories of someone whose memories went back that far.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/20/08 at 4:45 am

[

When I was growing up, we spent a lot of  time with my great aunt and uncle.  Both of them have been gone for many years, but my great uncle could remember when Abraham Lincoln was president.  It has always blown me away that I have very clear memories of someone whose memories went back that far.

Wow, that's awesome...hold old are you btw?

Check for new replies or respond here...