inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sgt. Peppers vs. Pet Sounds

Written By: OuterSpace on 07/18/07 at 10:22 pm

I think both are very overrated. I like the Beach Boys' earlier stuff and the Beatles had better albums.

I'll say Sgt. Peppers.

Subject: Re: Sgt. Peppers vs. Pet Sounds

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/07 at 10:24 pm

Pet Sounds

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/18/07 at 10:45 pm

Peppers.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/18/07 at 10:52 pm

Being exposed to these records when I was about 11, and still listening to them 40+ years later, it's not even close.  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xXe3p5G.m0B4xCjzbkF/SIG=12eh276dr/EXP=1184903262/**http%3A//www.musikhuset.se/senaste.nytt/images/sgt.peper.jpg  8)

Written By: La Roche on 07/18/07 at 11:33 pm

Pet Sounds is so far superior.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 3:13 am

I know all the tracks of these albums very well. The Beatles I grew up with, and the Beach Boys I know as singles. I need to  listen to Pets Sounds to confirm a true opinion.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/19/07 at 11:11 am

Peppers, which I can listen to entirely; whereas, the only song off of Pet Sounds, in which I like, is "God Only Knows".

Written By: Paul on 07/19/07 at 5:13 pm

A much better 'contest' would have been 'Pet Sounds' v 'Revolver' as the latter 'fed' off the former...

'Pepper' is landmark stuff, but way overrated...'Pet Sounds' for me...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/19/07 at 6:47 pm

A much better 'contest' would have been 'Pet Sounds' v 'Revolver' as the latter 'fed' off the former...

'Pepper' is landmark stuff, but way overrated...'Pet Sounds' for me...

Actually, Pepper fed off of Pet Sounds, according to Sir Paul himself. Revolver had already been released in August 1966 (recorded in April) and Pet Sounds released in May 1966.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/20/07 at 8:12 am

Sgt. Peppers

Written By: mandamoo on 07/20/07 at 8:44 am

Sgt. Peppers

Written By: gemini on 07/20/07 at 6:38 pm

Sgt. Peppers

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/01/07 at 10:04 pm

I like Pet Sounds...but Sgt. Pepper really moves me more!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/07 at 1:56 am

Both albums have great songs, bu voted for Sgt. Peppers

Written By: micah on 10/02/07 at 3:25 pm

Sgt. Peppers without a doubt.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/02/07 at 4:39 pm

Sgt. Peppers.  No contest!

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/13/07 at 2:26 am

ya know, I don't care what Paul said about Pet Sounds..maybe he was just bein gracious..Sgt Pepper is soooo much better than anything the the Beach Boys ever did..including Brian Wilson's release of Smile.
And yes, I was around in the 50's 60's etc. And I loved the beach Boys right up til I heard the Beatles, and even a little after, and I still put some Beach Boys on the player..but Pet Sounds is the most over rated and Genius is used way to liberally with that and Smile. in my opinion .

sooo, I'd go with Sgt. Pepper :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/16/07 at 10:42 am

I think both are very overrated. I like the Beach Boys' earlier stuff and the Beatles had better albums.

I'll say Sgt. Peppers.

I started this EXACT same topic here over two years ago...

and I'll stick by my original opinion and say Sgt. Pepper is a record which has outgrown itself...Pet Sounds is still a work of genius - although still not perfect, it probably remains my favourite album of all time. As composers, Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney (and Lennon of course, although Pepper was mainly Paul's work) are on par, but I think the Beatles had better records, but Pet Sounds was Wilson's greatest individual achievement.

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/16/07 at 10:43 am

ya know, I don't care what Paul said about Pet Sounds..maybe he was just bein gracious..Sgt Pepper is soooo much better than anything the the Beach Boys ever did..including Brian Wilson's release of Smile.
And yes, I was around in the 50's 60's etc. And I loved the beach Boys right up til I heard the Beatles, and even a little after, and I still put some Beach Boys on the player..but Pet Sounds is the most over rated and Genius is used way to liberally with that and Smile. in my opinion .

sooo, I'd go with Sgt. Pepper :)

To each their own, I suppose...but how can you compare 'Good Morning' to 'Wouldn't It Be Nice?'

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/07 at 12:14 pm

To each their own, I suppose...but how can you compare 'Good Morning' to 'Wouldn't It Be Nice?'

There isn't any comparison,  Good Morning outshines it by more than half.  Wouldn't it be Nice is rehashed pop.

Written By: lipsynchronicity on 11/06/07 at 7:08 pm

I can't vote for either because I love them both. I know every note on those 2 LPs like the back of my hand.

I really think we're kinda comparing apples to oranges here. I mean, Pepper's is clearly psychedelic. It is a serious contender for the title of "the Beatles' masterpiece". Brian's masterpiece, Pet Sounds, is a unique achievement in songwriting, arrangement, "mood," and production. But it's not psychedelic. Hauntingly beautiful, at times, but not psychedelic. So we're dealing with different things here. Pepper's and the original Jan. '67 Smile are a better point for comparison and I still couldn't pick one over the other because they're both so great. I love "The White Album," "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Revolver" too. I love "Friends," "Holland," and "Sunflower". We're dealing with some of the best Lps by the giants of that era.

Just my two cents...

By the way, I like the song "Sloop John B." but does anyone else feel (like me) that it doesn't seem to fit on that album? Brian does this every so often. I think "Gettin' Hungry" is kind of another example of this. It doesn't fit well with the rest of the LP.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 11:38 pm

It really depends on what you're on at the time you're listening to them man http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hippy.gif

Written By: runner69 on 11/13/07 at 8:58 pm

both good albums...........but both a little overated..........i go pepper :-\\

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/16/07 at 7:14 am

There isn't any comparison,  Good Morning outshines it by more than half.  Wouldn't it be Nice is rehashed pop.

The Beatles themselves said they thought Good Morning was sheesh...while Macca praised Pet Sounds. I think that's sayin' something...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/07 at 11:42 pm

First off, let's show a little respect and call it properly: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles.

Don't get me wrong, "Pet Sounds" is a wonderful album, but "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" will be in the archives of 20th century culture 500 years from now.  "Pet Sounds" will not. 
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/07 at 5:52 am

First off, let's show a little respect and call it properly: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles.

Don't get me wrong, "Pet Sounds" is a wonderful album, but "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" will be in the archives of 20th century culture 500 years from now.  "Pet Sounds" will not. 
8)

rightonrightonrighton

Written By: KKay on 11/27/07 at 7:24 am

I agree that they are overrated and that the feud between these albums is imaginary and popular.  Still, I love Pet Sounds with all my heart.  I can listen to the Beatles anytime...they are still everywhere and I kinda need a break.  When the time is right I will pull out the ol' Beatles records and enjoy them again.  I'll still love Pet Sounds, though.  It's romantic and interesting and unusual...:-)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/07 at 8:40 pm

rightonrightonrighton

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!  You are too kind.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sunny.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...