inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Underdog remake

Written By: woops on 08/03/07 at 12:11 am

Yet another mediocre 60's cartoon (though never saw, but not fond of most cartoons from that decade) turned awful movie  :P

Subject: Re: Underdog remake

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 12:40 am

It was funny in the late 80s when it was a thinking baby, but talking animals that aren't animated?  To me, it's kind of creepy.  They should have made this live action/animation, oike what they did with Scooby Doo.  Now that was OK

Kids will like this movie though

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/03/07 at 10:44 am

My husband actually wants to see this movie, he was a big fan of the cartoon, I guess. We'll probably end up going and taking Vaughn to see it.

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/03/07 at 12:04 pm

Wow, I’m so disappointed in this movie and I haven’t even seen it yet.

The trailers show this is going to be another throwaway live-action knock off.

The thing is, they had such huge potential with this film. Underdog was written originally somewhat “tongue in cheek” as a parody of Superman ("Look, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a frog...a frog?")  ;D

With an alter ego name of Shoeshine boy, and Polly Purebred and villains Simon Bar Sinister & Riff Raff they really had a chance to camp this up a bit or focus this more to an “adult swim” type audience. Off the top of my head, I can already see some very funny situations that could have been written for the Underdog character in today’s (2007) setting.
Remember, the show had other characters/show segments too, Tennessee Tuxedo (voice by Don Adams of Get Smart fame), Colonel McBragg, and Savoir Faire “Savoir Faire is every-where!" So they had more than just one aspect of the show to work with.

Disney could’ve done so much more with this, but they choose to take the easy way and make fast buck and gave us what we don’t need, yet another talking dog movie  :P

Written By: Snoopygirl on 08/09/07 at 4:27 pm

I know I won't see this movie but I'm hoping this generates more interest in Underdog. He needs a major comeback. I just wish that they would of released it as an animated movie.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/09/07 at 6:58 pm

I saw it and it was cute.  My kids loved it.

It sorta gave an explanation of how he became Underdog. 

Check for new replies or respond here...