inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I love Lucy

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/02/07 at 7:54 am

Of all the shows that was on the 50's, my favorite would be I Love Lucy. I would watch this show until the cows come home. And is it true that all their seasons are on DVD?

Subject: Re: I love Lucy

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 11:00 am

Of all the shows that was on the 50's, my favorite would be I Love Lucy. I would watch this show until the cows come home. And is it true that all their seasons are on DVD?

Yes they are available on DVD. I found them on Amazon. 

Note. I Love Lucy ran for 6 seasons.  from Oct 1951 to May 1957.  From Nov. 1957 to April 1960 they made 13 episodes of an hour long spin-off titled the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I found these episodes on Amazon packaged as I Love Lucy seasons 7-9; they are subtitled The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 11:03 am

I have never seen I love Lucy (only clips), but the closes I have come to seeing the show was that moment of the Lucille Ball Appreciation Society in movie Rat Race.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 11:34 am

I have never seen I love Lucy (only clips), but the closes I have come to seeing the show was that moment of the Lucille Ball Appreciation Society in movie Rat Race.

It was a good show- if you're into physical comedy from the 50s. And you don't mind the repetitive theme of Lucy trying to get into Ricky's show. That was essentially the plot of every other episode. The first few seasons were the best. IMO it lost steam once they took the show on the road.  First off to CA so Ricky can shoot a movie. Then on an Ocean Liner so Ricky can perform all over Europe. But the European episodes were the worst . I don't even think I've seen them all because usually if Lucy is out of the country then I turn the show off. 

Okay there is one exception to the European episodes. When they are in France and Lucy is arrested for passing counterfeit currency. The scene in the jail where one officer speaks French, another speaks french & spanish, and Ricky of course speaks Spanish & English and Lucy only speaks English.  This scene is second only to the Vitameatavegamin speech as my all time favorite I Love Lucy scene.  (I think the chocolate factory skit is over rated). 

I am not a fan of Ricky/Desi's singing so any time he sings I usually fast forward it. I do like the Hiawatha scene tho. That's my favorite musical moment. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/07 at 2:00 pm

I enjoy I Love Lucy.  My folks grew up watching it in their childhood, so I grew up watching the reruns in the 80s and 90s

I like the show when it's colorized.  B&W sometimes gets a little hard on the eyes.  I don't know how people survived when that was the only option lol

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 2:42 pm

I enjoy I Love Lucy.  My folks grew up watching it in their childhood, so I grew up watching the reruns in the 80s and 90s

I like the show when it's colorized.  B&W sometimes gets a little hard on the eyes.  I don't know how people survived when that was the only option lol

Colorize a B&W show?  :o  Surely you jest!
SACRILEGE!

I liked up until now.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/07 at 12:11 pm

It was a good show- if you're into physical comedy from the 50s. And you don't mind the repetitive theme of Lucy trying to get into Ricky's show. That was essentially the plot of every other episode. The first few seasons were the best. IMO it lost steam once they took the show on the road.  First off to CA so Ricky can shoot a movie. Then on an Ocean Liner so Ricky can perform all over Europe. But the European episodes were the worst . I don't even think I've seen them all because usually if Lucy is out of the country then I turn the show off. 

Okay there is one exception to the European episodes. When they are in France and Lucy is arrested for passing counterfeit currency. The scene in the jail where one officer speaks French, another speaks french & spanish, and Ricky of course speaks Spanish & English and Lucy only speaks English.  This scene is second only to the Vitameatavegamin speech as my all time favorite I Love Lucy scene.  (I think the chocolate factory skit is over rated). 

I am not a fan of Ricky/Desi's singing so any time he sings I usually fast forward it. I do like the Hiawatha scene tho. That's my favorite musical moment. 

I had forgotten about the scene with the guy speaking French & Spanish. I hadn't seen that in DECADES!!!

I agree with you that the chocolate factory skit is overrated. Never been one of my favorites but I STILL laugh at the Vitaminavegamin skit considering how many times I have seen it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 12:13 pm

I STILL laugh at the Vitaminavegamin skit considering how many times I have seen it.

Are you un-poop-u-lar? Do you pop out at parties?  Get vitameatymegamin...This stuff.  ;D I LOVE IT.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/07 at 11:33 pm

Colorize a B&W show?   :o  Surely you jest!
SACRILEGE!

I liked up until now.  ;)

"And now for those of you watching in Black and White, this one's in Technicolor"
  - Paul Weller

Some people love it in B&W.  I do love B&W shows, but the color brings it more to life.  I used to watch colorized re-runs of I Love Lucy, and i seemed to enjoy them so much more because it almost seemed like a whole different show.  Seeing things that you never saw before

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/07 at 11:25 am

"And now for those of you watching in Black and White, this one's in Technicolor"
  - Paul Weller

Some people love it in B&W.  I do love B&W shows, but the color brings it more to life.  I used to watch colorized re-runs of I Love Lucy, and i seemed to enjoy them so much more because it almost seemed like a whole different show.  Seeing things that you never saw before

I remember when Ted Turner was colorizing everything that was black and white but the colors were always muted so it just made it seem more fake. Then there were the times the main focal point was colorized but if you looked in the background the view in the window or open door was left B&W

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/07 at 12:45 pm

I remember when Ted Turner was colorizing everything that was black and white but the colors were always muted so it just made it seem more fake. Then there were the times the main focal point was colorized but if you looked in the background the view in the window or open door was left B&W

Yeah, I remember that. I have always felt if something was made in B&W, it should stay B&W. B&W does add a bit of artistic quality to movies/shows.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/07 at 1:06 pm

I Love Lucy is a great show.  I like the episode where they went to Hollywood.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/07 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, I remember that. I have always felt if something was made in B&W, it should stay B&W. B&W does add a bit of artistic quality to movies/shows.

Cat

remember the big joke was we were waiting for him to colorize the opening and closing scenes of The Wizard of Oz  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/07 at 1:15 pm

remember the big joke was we were waiting for him to colorize the opening and closing scenes of The Wizard of Oz  ;D

Yes.  Do you remember the one where she went to the Brown Derby Restaurant and was "stalking" actor William Holden?  That one was hysterical.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/07 at 1:47 pm

Yup-I have the feeling that if he even attempted to do that, he would have been tarred & feathered.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/07 at 1:48 pm

Yes.  Do you remember the one where she went to the Brown Derby Restaurant and was "stalking" actor William Holden?  That one was hysterical.

The one in Hollywood that I like is the one with Harpo Marx.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/07 at 3:54 pm

I did like the one when they left Hollywood on a train (because Ricky sold the car in the previous episode).

I always felt sorry for the Mertzes. Especially in the Ricky sells the car episode because its like they are always an after thought. And even when Lucy would scheme she would do so to place herself on top. 

Lucy gets new furniture? The Mertzes get her crappy old furniture. 
Lucy & Ricky move to a nice house in the country? The Mertzes get to live in the small guest house on the property.

Poor Ethel!  Lucy was not a very good friend

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/07 at 5:43 pm

I did like the one when they left Hollywood on a train (because Ricky sold the car in the previous episode).

I always felt sorry for the Mertzes. Especially in the Ricky sells the car episode because its like they are always an after thought. And even when Lucy would scheme she would do so to place herself on top. 

Lucy gets new furniture? The Mertzes get her crappy old furniture. 
Lucy & Ricky move to a nice house in the country? The Mertzes get to live in the small guest house on the property.

Poor Ethel!  Lucy was not a very good friend

Not to mention "El Breako The Leaseo"

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/07 at 6:40 pm

Not to mention "El Breako The Leaseo"

Cat

;D  that lease would have been broken anyway... it was for like 99 years. Someone was gonna die before it was up!

How about when Lil Ricky was playing drums and the Mertzes were bothered by the racket so Lucy and Ricky paraded around the apartment making as much noise as they could.

Or the times they went to court to sue over the broken TV set.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/12/07 at 8:17 pm

I was watching this every night as a went to bed last week until TV Land starting playing Sanford & Son instead  >:(....

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/07 at 1:00 am

Lucy had big stands of spaghetti hanging out of her mouth, so Ethel cut them off with scissors ;D

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/13/07 at 2:10 am

I don't remember ever seeing colorized versions of I Love Lucy.
are you sure?
Desi's Babaloo is classic. he could beat the hell outta his conga.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 10/13/07 at 8:35 am

Obviously we have Ted Turner on our boards. Leave our B&W alone Ted!

And for those who enjoyed Desi and Lucy in glorious Grayscale, you need to search for a movie they did called The Longest Trailer. Not all out whacky like I Love Lucy, but still very funny and even touching.

Written By: nally on 03/18/09 at 12:23 am

I have too many favorites!! I love seeing them on the tv, but I recently found some clips of the show on Youtube...including the ep entitled 'Lucy Hires An English Tutor.' The one segment of that episode I found hilarious was when Ricky was reading a book to Lucy and he kept mispronouncing all the words that ended with "ough"; there were 4 of them and they were all pronounced differently! Bough, rough, through, and cough!

Written By: nally on 03/18/09 at 12:24 am

And for those who enjoyed Desi and Lucy in glorious Grayscale, you need to search for a movie they did called The Longest Trailer. Not all out whacky like I Love Lucy, but still very funny and even touching.

Yes, that one was filmed in color, and it starred Lucille and Desi as a married couple named Tacey and Nicky Collini.

Written By: nally on 03/27/09 at 2:32 pm

I don't remember ever seeing colorized versions of I Love Lucy.
are you sure?
Desi's Babaloo is classic. he could beat the hell outta his conga.

In the episode where he had laryngitis ('Ricky Loses His Voice'), he tried to sing it, and Lucy quipped, "That's very Baba-lousy!" ;D

Written By: Womble on 03/28/09 at 12:10 pm

I love this show. I grew up watching it in reruns. There was a time when 'I Love Lucy' would air 3 times a day in some places. In NYC back in the 70's the show was on at 9:00am & 9:30am, 6:00pm & 6:30pm then 11:00pm & 11:30pm. Now the show barely airs at all. I wish a TV network would start re-running the show consistantly again. I will never get tired of watching it.

Written By: anabel on 04/02/09 at 5:43 pm

I Love Lucy too!  My best friend and I are like Lucy and Ethel-we get ourselves into some really funny situations that you have to see to believe!

I love The Long, LongTrailer too-especially when she collects all the rocks....(I'm a Packrat too!) they can't figure out why it won't go up the hill and then she has to choose which ones to keep and has to throw the rest out. I have laughed til I cried at Lucy since I was a kid too! And when Desi has to back it into the driveway? All he relatives were so mad at him!  Of the episodes, there are too many for me that are favorites.  I do especially love when Little Ricky is born and Ricky comes into the Father's room in full voodoo man makeup!

Classics, all of them!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/09 at 12:37 am

Lucy was actually quite a well-scripted and sophisticated---yes, sophisticated--sit-com compared to Donna Reed or Patti Duke.  Lucille Ball was always too shrill for my liking, though. 

Check for new replies or respond here...