inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Attention DJ's and Musicians Do You Know this??

Written By: motown_radio_network on 10/05/07 at 7:28 pm

motownradionetwork@comcast.net/color] Please email me what this song type was and where can I find them. This was most prevelant in the 50's, 60's and early seventies. thank you

Subject: Re: Attention DJ's and Musicians Do You Know this??

Written By: Mushroom on 10/05/07 at 10:29 pm

motownradionetwork@comcast.net/color] Please email me what this song type was and where can I find them. This was most prevelant in the 50's, 60's and early seventies. thank you

There were several artists that did things like that, but probably the most famous was Buchanan & Goodman.

Bill Buchanan and Dickie Goodman first hit fame in 1956 when they did a comedy record called "The Flying Saucers".  It was basically a parody news report where a reporter would ask a subject questions, and the answers would be clips from pop songs of the era.

They worked together for 5 years, until 1961 when Dickie went solo.  He then continued to make similar records for another 16 years.  Among his last records were "Mr. Jaws" and "Watergrate".  There have been numerous people who have done similar bits over the years, including National Lampoon and many artists on Dr. Demento.

I even have one I did myself last year.  It was based on the Dune series (most notably Dune, Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune).  Someday when I get my computer out of storage I am going to have to polish it up a bit and release it.

Subject: Re: Attention DJ's and Musicians Do You Know this??

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/07 at 1:15 am

Bill Buchanan and Dickie Goodman

Dang.  Beaten to the punch!

At the time, the genre was called "break-in" - we'd call it "sampling" today - and Dickie Goodman was the target of one of the first copyright lawsuits of its type.  Back then, his work was ruled parody, and as such, exempt from the copyright restrictions.  Without that legal precedent (RIAA's landsharks still try to nibble at it from time to time, and RIAA's lobbyists try to purchase new laws to ban it every few years), the entire history of sample-based music from the 80s forward would have been different.

Check for new replies or respond here...