inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Felix the Cat

Written By: woops on 10/15/07 at 5:02 pm

Baby boomers probably are more familiar with the 1950's/1960's incarnation and some Gen Xers/Yers the mid 1990's "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat" or the three mid 30's cartoons that appears on various public domain tapes/DVDs.

Not much of a fan of silent films nor a hardcore animation buff (mostly into animation for nostalgia), but I've enjoyed a few silent era Felix the Cat cartoons that have recently appeared on various public domain DVDs in the past several years like "Felix in Hollywood", "Felix Gets The Can" (where he tries to catch salmon in Alaska), "False Vases", and "Felix Whoos Whoopee" (where he gets drunk and hallucinates).

Subject: Re: Felix the Cat

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/07 at 6:36 pm

I used to watch the Colorized 60s verison in reruns when I was a kid in the 80s.  I loved it 8)

♪♪ You'll laugh so much
your sides will ache
your heart will go pitter-pat
watching Felix the wonderful cat! ♪♪

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/15/07 at 8:01 pm

I used to watch Felix the Cat in the 80's, too. I love that he's always got his little bag of tricks!  :D

Written By: woops on 10/15/07 at 8:21 pm

I've seen the 60's incarnation and not really into it. It's now officially on DVD.

The 1988 "Felix the Cat" movie is best forgotten...  :P ::)

The mid 30's cartoons were OK, basically turned him into another Mickey Mouse clone despite that he was around about 10 years before the mouse...

"Bold King Cole" from 1936

Here's two cartoons from the 20's:

"Felix In Hollywood"

Notice cameos from Charlie Chaplin.

Strangely, the studio boss looks like Prince Charles... who wasn't even born yet.

"Felix Woos Whoopee"

Written By: Dukeoworc on 12/02/07 at 11:27 am

I am a Boomer and remember the silent versions as well as 1930s talkies of Felix. These were shown on daytime TV in the early 1950s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/07 at 3:04 pm

Believe it or not, I never cared for Felix the Cat.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/07 at 7:25 pm

thanks for the topic! Other than Betty Boop...Felix the Cat is my favorite cartoon character! :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/07 at 6:01 am

I liked Felix until Top Cat. Once I went TC I never went back  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/26/08 at 12:27 pm

I've only seen the three colored films in the 1930's.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/28/08 at 11:57 am

I used to watch Felix The Cat as a tiny tyke in the early 60's.  I liked it - but I was a little small and don't remember it that well.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/01/08 at 10:22 am

Believe it or not, I never cared for Felix the Cat.

Cat

I could never get into Felix the Cat either, was it just me or did anyone else feel that Felix the Cats animation style was somewhat "creepy"? There was something about the drawing methods or style that were very dark to me as a kid and kind of scared me. I never felt comfortable watching the show, always seemed like there was something really sinister about it...felt that way about some of the older black and white Popeye shorts too. I guess I'm just weird... :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...