inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Sitar

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/15/07 at 10:47 pm

This instrument was popular in the mid-60's. What Rock songs have the sitar? (You can go even into the 70's-90's. It's only here because it was popular in the 60's.)

Subject: Re: The Sitar

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/07 at 11:40 pm

Ravi Shankar is perhaps the most well known & I believe it is he that plays the sitar on the song "The Inner Light" by The Beatles written and sung by George Harrison. Ravi's daughter Anoushka plays the same song on The Concert For George that was done on the 1 year anniversary of his death. Jeff Lynne of ELO sang.  I love sitar music and most anything done by either of the Shankars.

nice thread topic MrCleveland  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/07 at 11:44 pm

here's youtube from The Concert For George with Ravi Shankar's exotic & lovely daughter playing the sitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxr2R-zHNXw

here's a clip of the song sung by George http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhHm-5lKkZ0 unfortunately it's not live

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/07 at 12:16 pm

Love You To - by George Harrison on Revolver is a good example

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/26/07 at 9:40 pm

"Hey You"---No Doubt

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/26/07 at 9:50 pm

"Hey You"---No Doubt
do you happen to know who plays the sitar on this song?

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/07 at 11:45 pm

Ravi Shankar is perhaps the most well known & I believe it is he that plays the sitar on the song "The Inner Light" by The Beatles written and sung by George Harrison. Ravi's daughter Anoushka plays the same song on The Concert For George that was done on the 1 year anniversary of his death. Jeff Lynne of ELO sang.  I love sitar music and most anything done by either of the Shankars.

nice thread topic MrCleveland   8)

Sitar music is awesome. Ravi Shankar rules. He is also the father of Norah Jones, another talented singer.

"Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones has some sitar playing in it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/07 at 9:45 pm

nice thread topic MrCleveland   8)

Sunshine Superman by Donovan. The songs on that album that has a sitar in it include "Guinivere", "Three Kingfishers", "Fat Angel", and "Ferris Wheel".

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/13/07 at 12:34 am

Sunshine Superman by Donovan. The songs on that album that has a sitar in it include "Guinivere", "Three Kingfishers", "Fat Angel", and "Ferris Wheel".

man, I've always loved Guinivere and used to play the album on my little phonograph with the speaker next to my head and that song would help me fall asleep, it was so soothing and I'll have to listen for the sitar in it, I never even noticed before. And Donovan too? another excellent 60's folk hippie kind of guy  ;D nice work MrCleveland

Check for new replies or respond here...