inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WWII era cartoons

Written By: woops on 10/18/07 at 11:39 pm

Here's some public domain WWII cartoons:

I might end up sounding like Leonard Maltin from the Disney Treasures DVDs, but here's my intro...

Keep in mind, that some of the cartoons may contain images that are considered "politcally incorrect" by today's standards. (BTW, the cartoons I posted are mild)

Also, these were originally intended for adults not children since they were shown in theatres before films like "Gone With The Wind" & "Casablanca"...

Daffy Duck:
"Daffy the Commando"
"Scrap Happy Daffy"

Private Snafu, made for the troops
"Spies"

Tweety:
"A Tale Of Two Kitties"

Contain several referances to WWII like victory garden & Tweety as an air raid warden/"Put Out Those Lights" gag. Many cartoons from the era have referances as well like food rationing, rubber shortage, etc.

Featuring  caricatures of Abbott & Costello, a popular comedy duo from the 1940's, as cats and Tweety's debut cartoon.

Some notable WWII era cartoons

"Der Fuerher's Face" (Donald Duck)

One of the greatest WWII propaganda shorts I've seen (featured on "Walt Disney Treasures: On The Front Lines" and the second volume of the Donald Duck set), which is anti Nazi. Many of the images  of the cartoon maybe taken out of content, but have be considered that it was made in WWII. It's about Donald having a nightmare that he's  forced to work at a munitions factory and had to salute the evil dictator. At first, I thought it would be a serious cartoon, but it's actually funny and the song, from band leader Spike Jones, is also catchy. Also the only Donald Duck cartoon that won an Oscar for best animated short in 1943.

Also "Plane Daffy", which features Daffy against the seductive spy Hatta Mari and "Blitz Wolf", based on "Three Little Pigs"...

Subject: Re: WWII era cartoons

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/28/07 at 8:24 pm

Don't forget "Herr meets Hare" with Bugs Bunny. Too bad we don't have that high support for a war even for a worthless one. :(

Subject: Re: WWII era cartoons

Written By: woops on 10/30/07 at 2:09 am

That's a great cartoon, and one scene with Bugs as Brunhilda (sp) inspired "What's Opera Doc?" about 12 years later

Check for new replies or respond here...