inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: KTLA Goes Retro in Thanksgiving Weekend

Written By: woops on 11/16/07 at 5:39 pm

KTLA Goes Retro in Thanksgiving Weekend

Baby Boomers, Gen Xers,  classic tv fans, anybody interested in the LA area (though I don't live in LA, but felt like posting) might like this.

As part of their 60th Anniversary, KTLA is showing nothing but classic TV shows which were on the Ch. 5 schedule at one time or another from Friday 11/23 at 11pm until Monday 11/26 at 5am.  The only break will be a shortened version of Prime News both Sat. and Sun. at 10pm.  Check this out:

Late Night Friday 11/23:

11pm - Jack Benny Show
(2 episodes with Bob Hope and Lawerence Welk - both KTLA Alumni)

Midnight - The Honeymooners
("The $99,000 Question" and "The Golfer")

1am - Kung Fu
("The Well")

2am - Rawhide
("Incident of the Reluctant Bridegroom)

3am - The Big Valley
("Palms of Glory")

4am - Hopalong Cassidy (2 episodes)

5am - Bonanza
("The Legacy")

Saturday 11/24

6am- Little House on the Prairie
("A Harvest of Friends")

CLASSIC SATURDAY MORNING
------------------------------
7am - Lassie
7:30am - Timmy and Lassie
8am - Uncle Waldo (2 episodes)
9am - Underdog (2 episodes)
10am - POPEYE
11am - The Little Rascels

Noon - Gidget (w/Sally Field)
("Take A Lesson" and "Now There's A Face")

1pm - Charles In Charge
("Runaround Charles" and "Second Banana")

2pm - Doogie Howser M.D.
("A Stitch Called Wanda" and "Tough Guys Don't Teach")

3pm - Dr. Kildare
("Hand That Hurts, Hand That Heals")

4pm - Emergency
("Snakebite")

5pm - Highway Patrol (2 episodes)

6pm - CHiPS
("Battle of the Bands")

7pm - Dragnet (60's version)
("The Big Neighbor" and "The Bookie")

8pm - 21 Jump Street
("God Is A Bullet")

9pm - New Adventures of Wonder Woman
("Light-Fingered Lady")

10pm - Prime News

10:30 - Peter Gunn
("Let's Kill Timothy" and "Murder on the Midway")

11:30pm - I Spy
("Home to Judgement")

12:30am - Hunter
("Where's Echos End")

1:30am - Alfred Hitchcock Presents (3 Episodes)

3am - McHales Navy
("Six Pounds from Paradide" and "McHale the Desk Commando")

4am - F Troop
("Old Ironpants" and "The Day the Indians won")

5am - Mayberry R.F.D. and Andy Griffith

7am - The Munsters
("Herman the Rookie" and "Movie Star Munster")

8am - The Three Stooges

9am - The Monkees
("Monkee Vs. Machine" and "Art for Monkees Sake")

10am - Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
11am - Family Matters
Noon - What's Happening
1pm - Cheers
2pm - Friends
3pm - Laverne and Shirley
4pm - Happy Days
5pm - Please Don't Eat the Dasies
6pm - The Partridge Family
7pm - Father Knows Best
8pm - Brady Bunch
9pm - Leave It To Beaver

10pm Prime News

10:30 - Twilight Zone
("The After-Hours" and "Eye of the Beholder")

11:30pm - Lost In Space
("Visit to a Hostle Planet")

12:30am - Star Trek
("Space Seed")

1:30am - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
("The Fear Makers")

2:30am - Tarzan
("Tarzan and the Tiger")

3:30am - Gilligan's Island

4:30am - Time for Beany

Subject: Re: KTLA Goes Retro in Thanksgiving Weekend

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/16/07 at 9:23 pm

I hope that some TV Station out there would play all the TV Shows and cartoons with Thanksgiving themes.

Here's how I would do it...

WKRP-Turkeys Away
Bewitched-Samantha's Thanksgiving to Remember
Friends-There were a few good ones. Like the one in 1994 and 1998.
Seinfeld-The Mom and Pop Store (That's where the Woody Woodpecker balloon deflates)
A Garfield Thanksgiving
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
Mouse on the Mayflower

And some cartoon shorts with Thanksgiving themes...

Daffy Duck-Tom Turk and Holiday for Drumsticks
Huckleberry Hound-Grim Pilgrim
Tex Avery-Turkey Jerky
Tom and Jerry-Little Orphan
Loopy de Loop-Drum Sticked

There are a few more, but can you find them for me?

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/16/07 at 10:35 pm

KTLA Goes Retro in Thanksgiving Weekend

Baby Boomers, Gen Xers,  classic tv fans, anybody interested in the LA area (though I don't live in LA, but felt like posting) might like this.

Wow!  :o
This list is so cool! Its the stuff that TV Land should show, but doesn't.

Jack Benny, Peter Gunn and Highway Patrol? Uncle Waldo? (Never heard of it.) I've always heard about these shows, but never saw them, nows my chance.  8)

I'm betting this will be a huge success, and will be adopted as a once a month or week programming.

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 1:21 am

Oh this is great! Thanks I have satellite & usually watch the NY stations but I will definitely be watching this!

Wow!  :o
This list is so cool! Its the stuff that TV Land should show, but doesn't.

There's alot of stuff TV land (& Nick at Nite) should but doesn't....if I have to sit through one more fresh prince marathon.....

Written By: woops on 11/18/07 at 11:14 pm

"Hardship of Miles Standwhich"
"Pilgrim Porky"
South Park episode with the mutant turkies

Written By: nally on 11/18/07 at 11:18 pm

I have lived in the L.A. area all my life, so for me, some of this stuff will probably be worth watching. (Unless I decided to be busy with stuff.)

Of course, some of these shows are more recent (especially the ones for Sunday midday/afternoon), but I'd like to check out the older ones...especially those that I haven't seen in ages!!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/20/07 at 11:29 am

What? No Alice's Restaurant?

Written By: woops on 11/24/07 at 4:03 pm

I actually watch some of it...

Uncle Waldo is the wolf in the "Hippity Hooper" cartoons and appeared to be from Jay Ward since it aired "Fractured Fairytales", "Peabody & Sherman", and even short Rocky & Bullwinkle bits towards the end of the show. The episode was interesting, which was about the "Traffic Zone", whic is some vortex that turns people into vegetables (ie the bear turning into a turnip)

The Popeye cartoons that were shown were theatrical shorts from Famous studios in the later 1940's/1950's and one badly colorized Flieschers. Not the 60's tv cartoons, incase anybody's wondering.

Also due to the Malibu fire, there's some news coverage and also mentioned at the bottom of the tv screen.

What I find odd is that it's a CW affiilate network and would air vintage "Soul Train", which would fit with the marathon. Though it probably didn't aired on the network (WB, UPN, or whatever station it was before)

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/24/07 at 9:33 pm

Man, I'm watching this now, and whomever did the programing for KTLA definitely has a sense of humor...

I've never seen "Highway Patrol" before this day. I like it. But it is pretty bad, bad acting, bad editing, bad directing, how did Broderick Crawford get to be an actor, much less his own TV show? I know it was the 50's, but how did this show get on the air?

Then CHiP's came on after, Highway Patrol actually makes CHiP's look like a class act in comparison, didn't think I'd ever say that.

Whats better is that its the episode that Ponch and John are chasing some punk rocker wanabees, and Ponch is in a band. And, too our displeasure sings (a cover of Kool & Gang's "Celebration", one of my most hated songs).

Gawd, to see Erik Estrada jump around on stage like that, doing a incredibly terrible job of lip-syncing is totally worth the price of admission!

Awesomely bad/funny. Funniest two hours I've seen on TV in a long time. 8)

I hope KTLA does this again, soon.

Written By: nally on 11/24/07 at 9:37 pm

What I find odd is that it's a CW affiilate network and would air vintage "Soul Train", which would fit with the marathon. Though it probably didn't aired on the network (WB, UPN, or whatever station it was before)

for the record, it was WB before. ;)

I watched some old Popeye cartoons this morning.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 1:39 am

Man, I'm watching this now, and whomever did the programing for KTLA definitely has a sense of humor...

I've never seen "Highway Patrol" before this day. I like it. But it is pretty bad, bad acting, bad editing, bad directing, how did Broderick Crawford get to be an actor, much less his own TV show? I know it was the 50's, but how did this show get on the air?

Then CHiP's came on after, Highway Patrol actually makes CHiP's look like a class act in comparison, didn't think I'd ever say that.

Whats better is that its the episode that Ponch and John are chasing some punk rocker wanabees, and Ponch is in a band. And, too our displeasure sings (a cover of Kool & Gang's "Celebration", one of my most hated songs).

Gawd, to see Erik Estrada jump around on stage like that, doing a incredibly terrible job of lip-syncing is totally worth the price of admission!

Awesomely bad/funny. Funniest two hours I've seen on TV in a long time. 8)

I hope KTLA does this again, soon.

I guess since you didn't reference it it wasn't the Chips episode where Broderick Crawford made a cameo... Ponch got all starstruck after they pulled him over... I think Jon gave him a ticket but I could be wrong... I didn't get it as a kid but now its a pretty funny inside joke.

Written By: woops on 11/26/07 at 8:22 pm

Also watched "Gidget", which was OK, and "Twilight Zone", which still airs on Sci Fi... though during the dusk and with annoying pop ups at the bottom. Taped "Time For Beany", which is a puppet show from Bob Clampett. Not confused with the cartoon from the later 50's/early 60s.

A review from the Animation Show forum about edits and that there's more commercials shown on tv now...

Somewhat agree about "Family Matters" & "Friends". Only because they're still shown in syndication and shown in about a dozen stations in basic cable.

TV Land was good and had more variety, until about several years ago. Not suprised from a Viacom network (MTV, Nickelodeon) and that other networks have gone downhill.

Check for new replies or respond here...