inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smoke gets in your eyes parody - Source?

Written By: metheeandsee on 11/17/07 at 3:29 am

In the 60's or early 70's someone came out with a parody of the song 'Smoke gets in your eyes' which started with ' They....asked me how I knew, my career was through'.  Does anyone know the source, group and words?

Subject: Re: Smoke gets in your eyes parody - Source?

Written By: Ron Keeperman on 11/10/08 at 6:14 pm

In the 60's or early 70's someone came out with a parody of the song 'Smoke gets in your eyes' which started with ' They....asked me how I knew, my career was through'.  Does anyone know the source, group and words?

I think that the lyrics you're thinking of were embedded in a Spike Jones Hit record parodying another song. I think I have it on reel-to-reel tape somewhere, but I'm not 100 percent sure...about 75% sure.  :o

Subject: Re: Smoke gets in your eyes parody - Source?

Written By: Mushroom on 11/13/08 at 6:34 am

The song is called "More Money For You And Me", by The Four Preps.  It was a hit song in 1961, reaching as high as 17 on the Top 40 charts.

It was actually a medley of small song parodies, including:

I'm Mr. Blue
Alley Oop
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
In This Whole Wide World
Worried Man Blues
Tom Dooley
A Teenager In Love

I actually grew up listening to this song, as it was one of my dad's favorites.  I even did it in a skit for school was back in 1979.  Here is a link to a copy somebody put up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C92uz7lTFRo

I hope his lets other people enjoy this gem from another era.

Check for new replies or respond here...