inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Wild West generation turning into the Industrial age?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/07 at 9:42 pm

I saw something on a documentary show once (something on A&E I believe). I can't remember the exact context or details, but it was to the effect of this older gentleman in the early 20th Century who, while he appreciated the design of automobiles and stuff, he never really warmed up to it or felt comfortable riding in them. He still preferred horse and carriages and other things from the "old world".

That old-school sentiment sounds familar, especially around here! I guess it's true about that adage of "the more things change, the more they stay the same". ;D

Anyway, this got me to thinking about that in general. I'd say 1890 to 1913-'15 or so was the transition to "modern" luxuries like electricity, cars, plumbing and running water getting commonplace. Just around World War I was when it got really noticeable, and by the Victorian era, it was a standard I bet. However, from what anyone has seen, were there people who refused to catch up with the times and embrace this stuff even later? For instance, I wonder if there were places way out in the country in, say 1930 where people still rode horse and buggies.

It's funny because we talk about people who are reluctant to give up things like VCRs for DVDs, or '80s and '90s people who love analog technology and music....yet that's absolutely nothing compared to any of this! I imagine alot of the older generations were totally left in the dust, and just found it totally alien.

I wonder who the oldest person (chronologically) to drive a car was? Maybe like born in 1870?

Subject: Re: The Wild West generation turning into the Industrial age?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 9:45 pm

I'm sure there were people who totally rebelled against certain things. I mean....a perfect example would be my great-grandmother. She lived until she was 101 years old. She lived in this country for YEARS...yet she refused to learn English. She lived the ways of the world she was born/grew up in...and refused to advance.

There are a lot of stubborn people out there...and as much as I LOVE old/retro/vintage/antique things, I have to admit that there are some advances of today...that are very difficult to live without.

Check for new replies or respond here...