inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 60's afternoon TV Show

Written By: gibbo on 01/12/08 at 1:22 am

All those afternoons spent in front of the telly. Some of these spilled over into the 70'. I've given plenty of options.

I liked them all for different reasons. I thought Elizabeth Montgomery and Babara Eden were hot but in the end GET SMART stands the test of time and has my vote.

Subject: Re: Favourite 60's afternoon TV Show

Written By: KKay on 01/12/08 at 7:34 am

I can't pick one. this is just too hard.
Love them all.
i think i really watched Jeannie and Gilligan the most.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 12:39 pm

I chose Batman. I really loved the look of it, the bright colors! The BAMs! The WHAMs! It was great fun.

I watched the other shows too but probably Gilligans Island was a close second. Although I hate it now I watched it all the time as a kid.

I even dreamt once that I was in the woods behind my aunts apartment and I ran into the GI cast. Funny- they were all old but still wearing the same clothes they wore in the show...like they'd been on the island for 20 years at that point. I was being chased through the woods by one of th natives (the dream was so vivid I could hear and feel spears whooshing by me before *thwang* landing in a tree trunk.  The professor found me and hid me behind a tree. Gillian ran interference and then when the natives left we went back to camp for banana creme pie...  :-\\

All this and I've never done drugs...go figure!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/12/08 at 5:25 pm

What, no F-Troop?

Gilligan's Island has my vote.

Written By: gibbo on 01/12/08 at 5:34 pm

What, no F-Troop?

Gilligan's Island has my vote.

I thought of F-troop and Flying Nun and Gidget  after I posted........

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/13/08 at 8:12 pm

OK, boss, you wanted an idea for the new sitcom?  Get this!  OK, so there's this POW camp, in Nazi Germany, and the Allied prisoners basically run the place.  The Commandant is a friendly affable WW1 vet who's just phoning it in, the Sergeant in charge of the guards is sorta like a German Santa Claus, but dumber... and every once in a while, a General and a Gestapo agent show up and get absolutely infurated because they can never quite catch the prisoners for all the escapes and sabotage they're getting away with, nor get enough evidence of incompetence to have the Commandant or the Sergeant sent to the Russian front!  It'll be hilarious!  Boss?  Boss?

Yeah, file Hogan's Heroes under "shows that could never be made today". Funny as all get out, and for bonus points, there were a few episodes based on actual historical events.

Written By: KKay on 01/14/08 at 7:36 am

There is an article in the Times about how The Odd Couple was the best sitcom; they took all the laugh points to the extreme, it was a situation taht would never hapen in real life, and the performers were genius enough that you did not see the 'formula' at work.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/08 at 2:55 pm

All of the above.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 01/14/08 at 4:01 pm

It's hard to pick just one. I remember watching the Brady Bunch alot after school, and Gilligans Island and Jeannie, and Bewitched! See, told you it's hard to pick just one!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/08 at 10:29 pm

OK, boss, you wanted an idea for the new sitcom?  Get this!  OK, so there's this POW camp, in Nazi Germany, and the Allied prisoners basically run the place.  The Commandant is a friendly affable WW1 vet who's just phoning it in, the Sergeant in charge of the guards is sorta like a German Santa Claus, but dumber... and every once in a while, a General and a Gestapo agent show up and get absolutely infurated because they can never quite catch the prisoners for all the escapes and sabotage they're getting away with, nor get enough evidence of incompetence to have the Commandant or the Sergeant sent to the Russian front!  It'll be hilarious!  Boss?  Boss?

Yeah, file Hogan's Heroes under "shows that could never be made today". Funny as all get out, and for bonus points, there were a few episodes based on actual historical events.

you forgot to add that when the Germans are alone together they continue to speak in English allowing the POWs to ease drop and get the better of them.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/20/08 at 10:06 pm

I used to watch Get Smart reruns when I was little. I wanted to have a shoe phone like Maxwell Smart and have Agent 99's wardrobe.  ;D

Written By: 66drivein on 02/05/08 at 12:54 pm

F-Troop Loved the episode where the Hacowies (spelling?) told how their tribe was named.

After traveling many moons they were lost and the question was asked. "Were the heck are we" ;D

Written By: gibbo on 02/06/08 at 4:38 am

F-Troop Loved the episode where the Hacowies (spelling?) told how their tribe was named.

After traveling many moons they were lost and the question was asked. "Were the heck are we" ;D

I liked when Sgt O'Rourke said to Agarn " That's why every one says you're so dumb" and much later he would suddenly think about it (usually when they were sneaking around trying to be quiet) and reply " Who says I'm dumb"??

Written By: holicman on 02/08/08 at 5:10 am

I dont know why but i chose Get Smart.

Written By: Moon444 on 02/10/08 at 3:58 pm

Had to go with Jeannie on this one.

What I remember as being the most humorous about the show is how Major Nelson would get caught doing something strange by Dr. Bellows, who would then run to get General Peterson. Of course when Peterson would arrive Jeannie had already fixed everything and Bellows would always look silly.

Good memories  :)

Written By: gibbo on 02/12/08 at 3:26 am

Had to go with Jeannie on this one.

What I remember as being the most humorous about the show is how Major Nelson would get caught doing something strange by Dr. Bellows, who would then run to get General Peterson. Of course when Peterson would arrive Jeannie had already fixed everything and Bellows would always look silly.

Good memories  :)

Yes, I agree. I just bought the 2nd series of Jeannie and that occurs in almost every episode.

Written By: mandamoo on 02/18/08 at 11:22 pm

You left off Skippy  ;)

I chose other as I couldn't decide  :P

Written By: gibbo on 02/19/08 at 1:07 am

You left off Skippy  ;)

I chose other as I couldn't decide  :P

Yeah ...and I'm an Aussie...unforgivable!

Written By: mandamoo on 02/19/08 at 1:40 am

Yeah ...and I'm an Aussie...unforgivable!

:o :o :o

Well then that calls for the obvious - tut tut tut  :D ;)

Written By: nally on 05/29/08 at 3:10 pm

I wasn't around then, but I have watched a number of these shows in reruns! I can't pick a favorite, though. Here are the ones I know and have enjoyed:

Gilligan's Island
Get Smart
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Addams Family

Written By: Michael on 06/18/08 at 7:58 am

Does anyone remember the Lancelot Link show?  They had monkeys dressed as people in various settings and as the monkeys moved their mouths, the voice over gave them the dialogue.  Lancelot was, of course, the lead and his wife/girfriend was Matta.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/21/08 at 8:41 am

Does anyone remember the Lancelot Link show?  They had monkeys dressed as people in various settings and as the monkeys moved their mouths, the voice over gave them the dialogue.  Lancelot was, of course, the lead and his wife/girfriend was Matta.

Very short lived.....The "Banana Splits" out lived them...'Romoured to have all died in a plane crash"
& "Beaver to be shot in Vietnam"  ;D ;D ;D

TV shows or at least the networks copied each others shows back then
For every Munster there was an Addams
Bewitched/I Dream of Jeanie
Mr Ed/My Mother the Car
Lost in Space/My Favorite Martian

Most of the HIT American shows were British scipts from their shows rewritten for US TV
Till Death Do Us Part....All in The Family
Man About The House....3s Company
Steptoe & Son.....Sandford & Son
Todays shows as well "Worst Jobs in History...."Dirty Jobs"

Footnote about "Gilligans Island" all the actors/actresses involved never got Royalties from the show!
Their agents never got any for them..........Screwed & Boned
I think it was the only US show that happened to!

I get a good chuckle from Family Guy as he spoofs those old shows now & again!
Land of The Lost
"Just as sure as Paul Lynde was Gay"

Written By: gibbo on 06/21/08 at 8:45 am

Yes...we got it in Australia. Lance Link (secret chimp) with mata hari (his side kick)....... and there was Lance Link and the Evolution Revolution band..... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/08 at 3:54 pm

Very short lived.....The "Banana Splits" out lived them...'Romoured to have all died in a plane crash"
& "Beaver to be shot in Vietnam"   ;D ;D ;D

TV shows or at least the networks copied each others shows back then
For every Munster there was an Addams
Bewitched/I Dream of Jeanie
Mr Ed/My Mother the Car
Lost in Space/My Favorite Martian

Most of the HIT American shows were British scipts from their shows rewritten for US TV
Till Death Do Us Part....All in The Family
Man About The House....3s Company
Steptoe & Son.....Sandford & Son
Todays shows as well "Worst Jobs in History...."Dirty Jobs"

Footnote about "Gilligans Island" all the actors/actresses involved never got Royalties from the show!
Their agents never got any for them..........Screwed & Boned
I think it was the only US show that happened to!

I get a good chuckle from Family Guy as he spoofs those old shows now & again!
Land of The Lost
"Just as sure as Paul Lynde was Gay"

The Addams Family, Munsters & Bewitched were shows about interracial marriage and also desegregation. 
I Dream of Jeannie was simultaneously a commentary on domestic help and the changing roles of women in our society.

Mr Ed was about a horse who could talk where as My Mother the car was about Reincarnation.... those two shows are nothing alike.

In Lost in Space the Robinsons were ....in Space but in My Favorite Martin Uncle Martin was on Earth. . . where's the similarity?
If anything BattleStar Gallactica was more like Lost In Space because they were trying nomads trying to return to Earth just like the Robinsons.

You're right many shows popular in other countries have been repackaged for American Audiences but you forget even though Americans speak English too there is a significant difference in the language and the culture therefore some jokes found in the original shows would not "play" well here because the humor would get lost in translation.

Also, in the early days of television no one knew what the future held that is why many stars didn't get Royalties because no one knew there would be reruns, syndication and DVDs.

Written By: hot_wax on 07/06/08 at 9:40 pm

If it's the afternoon shows only, in the early 60's, we get home from school about 3:30 PM in time to watch the "Doby Gillis" show then the "Patty Duke" show would follow or there was "Gomer Pyle" show on another channel and Johnny Carson had a game show, I think it was called "Do you trust your wife" that we would watch every so often for the comedy schtick he would do with Ed McMann. In the mid 60's we couldn't get home fast enough to watch the "Soupy Sales" show he was the king of schtick, him and his character puppets and his adult overtone comedy, we were addicted to his show, we had to watch it, it was that funny, and all of these shows in all of those years in the 60's shared time with Dick Clark's American Bandstand.

In the late sixties, I didn't watch any afternoon stuff it was a different life then, only got to watch evening shows and that's a different subject for another time. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/13/08 at 1:19 pm

WHAT.... No Dark Shadows!!!! or are we just talking sitcoms? :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 09/13/08 at 10:01 pm

WHAT.... No Dark Shadows!!!! or are we just talking sitcoms? :-\\

Dark Shadows wa quite scary at that time and was shown in the mid afternoon over here (usually before us kids got home). But I remember it (and Barnabas). :o

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/13/08 at 10:19 pm

Dark Shadows wa quite scary at that time and was shown in the mid afternoon over here (usually before us kids got home). But I remember it (and Barnanbas). :o

It came on right after school at 3:30 or maybe 4:00. I loved it and didn't realize how cheesy it was until I watched reruns on SciFi. But yeah it scared the crap outta me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/13/08 at 11:34 pm

Weren't The Monkees a 60's afternoon tv show?  if so, that would be on my list with Batman and I Dream Of Jeannie and Gilligan's Island and The Beverly Hillbillies.  Andy Griffith and The Dick Van Dyke Show were pretty good ones too.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/14/08 at 8:24 pm

Weren't The Monkees a 60's afternoon tv show?  if so, that would be on my list with Batman and I Dream Of Jeannie and Gilligan's Island and The Beverly Hillbillies.  Andy Griffith and The Dick Van Dyke Show were pretty good ones too.

I think they all had a shot at the afternoon slots on at different channels at different times of the year that went up to 6:00pm, or so, then came sit-coms like Hazel, F Troop, Pettycoat Junction and Green Acres then they made way for the PM sophisticated comedy shows Eddies Father Flying Nun That Girl The Diane Carol Show and others, but sooner or later they all went to re-runs on AM or afternoon time slots. Today, I'm always tuned into the TV Land station for all of those oldie shows, the Black sit-coms were and still are some of the best shows made, except for Sanford and Son can't get into it, but I think most of the Black shows started in the 70's due the acceptance of Black comedy shows on the major networks, but thank goodness open minds and re-runs. 

Written By: gibbo on 09/14/08 at 11:25 pm

I think they all had a shot at the afternoon slots on at different channels at different times of the year that went up to 6:00pm, or so, then came sit-coms like Hazel, F Troop, Pettycoat Junction and Green Acres then they made way for the PM sophisticated comedy shows Eddies Father Flying Nun That Girl The Diane Carol Show and others, but sooner or later they all went to re-runs on AM or afternoon time slots. Today, I'm always tuned into the TV Land station for all of those oldie shows, the Black sit-coms were and still are some of the best shows made, except for Sanford and Son can't get into it, but I think most of the Black shows started in the 70's due the acceptance of Black comedy shows on the major networks, but thank goodness open minds and re-runs. 

It's a stretch describing The Flying Nun as sophisticated... ;D  I've been watching the DVD's of season 1 with my kids....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/15/08 at 12:17 am

I recall that Batman started as an early evening tv show. I remember the anticipation of sitting in front of the tv (same Bat Time, same Bat channel)  I voted for Batman as my favorite.

Written By: gibbo on 09/15/08 at 12:34 am

I recall that Batman started as an early evening tv show. I remember the anticipation of sitting in front of the tv (same Bat Time, same Bat channel)   I voted for Batman as my favorite.

Yes, now that you come to mention it, I remember it coming on about 6.00 or 6.30 pm week days.  I also recall each Friday night that The Flintstones came on followed by Bonanza  ....oh and we had to eat fish on friday's as well...and I hated fish back then. 8-P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/15/08 at 12:36 am

Yes, now that you come to mention it, I remember it coming on about 6.00 or 6.30 pm week days.  I also recall each Friday night that The Flintstones came on followed by Bonanza   ....oh and we had to eat fish on friday's as well...and I hated fish back then. 8-P
now in those time slots we have Tila Tequila and I love New York and Dr Phil.  things sure have changed  :-\\

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 3:40 pm

It's a stretch describing The Flying Nun as sophisticated... ;D  I've been watching the DVD's of season 1 with my kids....

That was tongue'n cheek, they're all mindless entertainment, just the way I like them.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 3:50 pm

Yes, now that you come to mention it, I remember it coming on about 6.00 or 6.30 pm week days.  I also recall each Friday night that The Flintstones came on followed by Bonanza   ....oh and we had to eat fish on friday's as well...and I hated fish back then. 8-P

Nothing but Chicken of the Sea for me and we had pasta fasoli on Friday's...hated that too I used to stuff it into my pockets to show my mom I ate it.

Written By: gibbo on 09/16/08 at 4:17 pm

Nothing but Chicken of the Sea for me and we had pasta fasoli on Friday's...hated that too I used to stuff it into my pockets to show my mom I ate it.

That's a co-incidence....so did I... ;D  I then flushed what I could down the toilet or threw it in the garden (especially my vegies).

Written By: hot_wax on 09/16/08 at 7:15 pm

That's a co-incidence....so did I... ;D  I then flushed what I could down the toilet or threw it in the garden (especially my vegies).

and I thought I was the only smart one! most vegtables were ok, but even today I always mix grape jelly into my mashed potatos, it's was a ploy by my mom to get me to eat them, I love it...try it!

Written By: robby76 on 09/19/08 at 8:31 am

I went for Jeannie too... though I wasn't even around in the 60s.  ;D

I'm surprised Bewitched has no votes so far. That would've been my 2nd choice.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/19/08 at 6:47 pm

There was a afternoon series called It's About Tiime"  2 astronauts on a space mission end up going back to prehistoric time (it was a Comedy) Imogene Coca and a male comedian were a cave man and cave woman. i can't remember his name

it was Sid Ceasar. I just remembered  :)

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/08 at 7:21 pm

I also recall this show...it was short lived ...but I still liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/08 at 7:27 pm

Does anyone remember MR Terrific? Corny show...... ;D  .....and the service station attendant was Hymie in Get Smart!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1k57303ZFM&feature=related

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/19/08 at 7:52 pm

Does anyone remember MR Terrific? Corny show...... ;D   .....and the service station attendant was Hymie in Get Smart!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1k57303ZFM&feature=related
yes i remember it and there was another goofy one called Captain Nice

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/08 at 8:38 pm

Didn't get Captain Nice over here...

What about this one.... Here Come the Brides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9f1FaXbV8

or the very Thunderbird..ish, Stingray.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPu9mLfLoOA&feature=related

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/08 at 9:34 pm

Maybe not afternoon...but a favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YA7v6YdlM&feature=related

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/08 at 9:42 pm

Geez...I really am feeling nostalgic!  :o

Does anyone remember ...The Forest Rangers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OoPyYGKdI&feature=related

Written By: robby76 on 09/19/08 at 9:47 pm

I'm loving all these rare shows being linked. Such a simple time... well television-wise.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/08 at 2:32 pm

Didn't get Captain Nice over here...

What about this one.... Here Come the Brides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9f1FaXbV8

or the very Thunderbird..ish, Stingray.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPu9mLfLoOA&feature=related

I LOVED Here Comes the Brides.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 09/20/08 at 3:46 pm

I went for Jeannie too... though I wasn't even around in the 60s.  ;D

I'm surprised Bewitched has no votes so far. That would've been my 2nd choice.

Bewitched was close to my favourite......

Being a teenager in the 70's....I loved any show with an attractive girl in it. Jeannie in Jeaanie, 99 in Get Smart (I found her quirky and attractive), Juliet Mills in Nanny and the Professor,  Ginger and Maryann in Gilligan's Island, Wrnagler Jane in F-Troop etc etc

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/20/08 at 3:52 pm

well I liked 'Belle and Sebastien' and The White Horses and Follyfoot
being a girl an all

:D

http://www.thechestnut.com/belle.htm

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/20/08 at 3:57 pm

also Hectors House

Written By: gibbo on 09/20/08 at 4:02 pm

well I liked 'Belle and Sebastien' and The White Horses and Follyfoot
being a girl an all

http://www.thechestnut.com/belle.htm

We didn't get any of those over here.  We did get prime time English shows though.....like The Champions!!!  (great show)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/08 at 4:05 pm

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe

In black and white, and I still remember the theme music today.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/20/08 at 9:53 pm

We didn't get any of those over here.  We did get prime time English shows though.....like The Champions!!!  (great show)

we still love the "Monty Python Flying Circus" and "The Saint" and who can forget "Benny Hill"

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 2:03 am

we still love the "Monty Python Flying Circus" and "The Saint" and who can forget "Benny Hill"
...originally Monty Python Flying Circus and Benny Hill were show at night time.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/21/08 at 5:00 am

great show, we get regular re-runs of that series here in the UK, i always wanted to be like Sharon McReady (Alexandra Bastedo) when i was a little girl..

hears sharp ringing in ears

http://www.cultv.co.uk/champions.htm

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
In black and white, and I still remember the theme music today.

a brilliant series Philip, i managed to find the entire series on video when i worked down in London but now is out of date again, wonder if Pete would convert it to dvd for me? yeah the theme music is hauntingly beautiful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 5:02 am

great show, we get regular re-runs of that series here in the UK, i always wanted to be like Sharon McReady (Alexandra Bastedo) when i was a little girl..

hears sharp ringing in ears

http://www.cultv.co.uk/champions.htm

The Champions series is being shown on ITV4

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/23/08 at 1:27 pm

Terry Hall (x of Fun Boy Three and The Specials) always put me in mind of Herman Munster

saw him in Camden once, i think he's very cute in a distinguished but quite scary way..

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/15/180px-Fun_Boy_Three_album.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/1814247168_c5a8580d95.jpg

Written By: ralfy on 08/19/15 at 11:02 am

"Yvonne Craig who, as Batgirl, was a pioneer of female superheroes passes away"

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/19/entertainment/yvonne-craig-batgirl-death/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 12:59 pm

:o I'm amazed of how gibbo can actually remember all of those shows he mentioned. I wonder if he's in his mid or late 50s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/19/15 at 2:36 pm

I disagree in terms of a memory since all you need is to find some old TV Guides somewhere and read the listings, and you'll find that not only these shows originally aired in primetime, but most were syndicated staples for years or even decades after they first aired, originally on local big network stations, followed by smaller independent stations and cable channels such as WGN, and later on cable (Nick at Nite, TV Land, and today on some Antenna/Me-TV type channels). By "afternoon", this usually means the late afternoon following soap operas, as such content made good filler programming prior to evening news programming, and this was the practice even well into the '90s on some stations, and typically the shows & episodes were about 3-10 years old. This meant in the '60s, you got a lot of '50s shows in reruns (Amos 'n Andy, Leave It To Beaver, Dragnet, Lucy), and so on with today meaning that you might find '00s shows being rerun on some secondary networks and cable channels. These shows should be just as well known as popular songs/albums/movies from the era as they are true classics. In some cases, these afternoon syndication reruns made these shows more popular there compared to when it first aired, with Star Trek probably the most famous example.

Out of all of these, I'll say Get Smart since it was quite ahead of its time with regards to defending against a terrorist organization, and still feels fresh watching today. On the other hand, shows like Batman have an obvious camp factor, but for those who embrace it, will be thoroughly pleased.

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/15 at 9:15 pm

:o I'm amazed of how gibbo can actually remember all of those shows he mentioned. I wonder if he's in his mid or late 50s?

Why are you so obsessed with everyone's age? And surprised that most of us are older....especially since we told you a couple weeks ago that most of us are in fact of an older generation???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 9:16 pm

Why are you so obsessed with everyone's age? And surprised that most of us are older....especially since we told you a couple weeks ago that most of us are in fact of an older generation???

Does that make me weird or something? I'm just curious.

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/15 at 9:19 pm

Does that make me weird or something? I'm just curious.

I think it's more weird that you're surprised by our ages

It feels like you think we should have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

But I just looked and I see you're 15 so maybe that's it. I guess when I was 15 I thought everyone in their 30s were old and I thought when I watched shows like Charlie's Angels they were way older...now I watch Charlie's Angels and I can't get over how young they all were.

Written By: gibbo on 08/22/15 at 3:37 am

That's exactly correct ... I'm 55.  I used to display my birth date in my profile, but removed it just before my last birthday so people couldn't start a birthday thread for me.  I'm such a creep!  ;D

Written By: ralfy on 03/29/16 at 11:42 pm

"Holy golden anniversary, 'Batman'! Classic TV show turns 50"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/12/entertainment/batman-50-anniversary-burt-ward-feat/

Check for new replies or respond here...