inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song Help Please!

Written By: Albert on 01/12/08 at 8:45 pm

There's a song I just have to find, and I have no idea of the title or artist, but I believe it to be from the 60's or early-70's (similar to the 1973 Bloodstone song "Natural High") that mixes soul with doo-wop and it's a love ballad that has lyrics that include "in the still of the night don't waste your time" (repeated a lot throughout the song) and "too young to be in love" (just once in the song.) Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you!

Subject: Re: Song Help Please!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/08 at 3:18 pm

By any chance, is this it?

http://www.rhapsody.com/theshangrilas/301311_bestoftheshangrilas/dressedinblack/lyrics.html

Cat

Written By: Albert on 01/15/08 at 12:48 am

That isn't the one. It's sung by a male group in a soul doo-wop style. The song begins with the words "in the still of the night" (but the song bears no relation to the 1956 Five Satins song by that name) and ends with (if i remember correctly) "don't waste your time" ("in the still of the night" and "don't waste your time" are repeated several times throughout the song). It has a spoken part in the middle, close-knit harmonizing, drums, and guitar (i know, that's not very specific, but it's the best i can do.) It's an amazing song, and I just wish I could have it identified. I heard it on a radio station that often plays soul hits of the past. I'm not sure if this song is from the 60's or the 70's. Comparable songs to it are the following: "I'm on the Outside (Looking in)" - Little Anthony & the Imperials (1964); "Natural High" by Bloodstone (1973); "Stay in My Corner" - The Dells (1968); "Have You Seen Her?" - The Chi-Lites (1971); "Love on a Two-Way Street" - The Moments (1970). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Written By: Albert on 01/16/08 at 2:34 am

Ok I found the song (I had previously misunderstood part of the lyrics.) The song is "You're Still a Young Man" by Tower of Power, which got to #29 nationally in 1972 (so technically belongs to a different board but oh well).

Written By: karen on 01/16/08 at 7:55 am

Ok I found the song (I had previously misunderstood part of the lyrics.) The song is "You're Still a Young Man" by Tower of Power, which got to #29 nationally in 1972 (so technically belongs to a different board but oh well).

Thanks for letting us know you found the song.  I'd searched a couple of times but not found the song you were looking for.  Of course, having the right lyrics helps!

Check for new replies or respond here...