inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember Lucille Ball??

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/08 at 8:18 am

What a comedic genius.  All but forgotten these days... Sad, really.  She was a real star.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Anyone remember Lucille Ball??

Written By: ninny on 01/17/08 at 9:53 am

What a comedic genius.  All but forgotten these days... Sad, really.  She was a real star.   :\'(

This is so true,I use to watch her all the time,one of my all time favorities is the episode with Harpo Marx,sadly I too have not watch an episodes on TV land recently :-[

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/08 at 11:32 am

What a comedic genius.  All but forgotten these days... Sad, really.  She was a real star.   :\'(

I love her. I was sort of amazed to see the first season of "I Love Lucy" at Best Buy for $30. Usually seasons go for more, especially when the show was a hit.

Did you ever see the movie "Yours, Mine, and Ours" that she starred in? Awesome. I laughed myself silly.

And I thought she was absolutely beautiful.

Written By: laffytaffy on 01/17/08 at 11:54 am

What a comedic genius.  All but forgotten these days... Sad, really.  She was a real star.  :\'(

Of course, she was a staple in my TV viewing!  Wait does this make me <gasp> "old"?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/08 at 12:06 pm

My only true experience of her was The Lucille Ball Appreciation Society in the movie Rat Race.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/08 at 12:37 pm

I have always loved Lucy, ever since i was a kid.  I'm 29 now, and I can remember thinking she was so hilarious...and I still do.  I was actually reading an article about her on Wikipedia (very interesting read) and it just dawned on me that she's actually gone... it's hard to believe.  she is a legend... always will be

this thread kind of started as a joke...how could anyone not remember Lucy? LOL  but nobody really got the humor so now it can just be a Lucy Appreciation Thread  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/17/08 at 1:12 pm

They still rerun "I Love Lucy" on channel 20 for us on the weekends and very likely the weekdays (which I'm usually not around to watch). I've watched the show for many years because of these reruns. My friend use to have her Dad tape the episodes while she was at school and then she'd watch them when she got home. I still buy her I Love Lucy memorabilia from time to time.

Also, don't forget her movie with Desi Arnaz, "The Long, Long Trailer." Very fun to watch and gives way to that great American dream of traveling cross country and exploring the great wide open.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/08 at 5:45 pm

never heard of her...

Written By: wildcard on 01/17/08 at 9:42 pm

My only true experience of her was The Lucille Ball Appreciation Society in the movie Rat Race.

me too

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/17/08 at 11:19 pm

I ....well, I love Lucy! She's so funny and charming...and pretty. She had such a talent in making people laugh. I always have a smile on my face when I watch the shows.

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/08 at 11:30 pm

I don't remember her no LOL

"I Love Lucy" is a classic.  After Christmas, I bought all the seasons on DVD as a gift for my mother because she grew up with that show and it is her favourite :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/08 at 1:49 am

When the Lucille Ball programmes were broadcasted in the 60s, it was rumoured it was Queen Elizabeth II
favourite tv show.

Written By: gibbo on 01/18/08 at 6:56 am

I have issues with weird red heads.......... Loved the grape tramping episode LOL

Written By: cables on 01/18/08 at 2:27 pm

Also, don't forget her movie with Desi Arnaz, "The Long, Long Trailer." Very fun to watch and gives way to that great American dream of traveling cross country and exploring the great wide open.

Thank you for reminding me of the name of that film. I remember watching it on Christmas Day when I was a child and have wondered for years what it was called.

Here's Lucy was on when I was a child. I enjoyed it but could never understand why my mum referred to it as I Love Lucy - until the programme of that name was repeated some years later.

As a Bilko fan I remember the episode of Bilko in which she made a guest cameo. And there's even a tribute to her in the film This is Spinal Tap, when the group say they're playing a festival on the Isle of Lucy (it's more obvious when spoken).

Written By: Dagwood on 01/18/08 at 5:28 pm

Did you ever see the movie "Yours, Mine, and Ours" that she starred in? Awesome. I laughed myself silly.

That is one of my all time favorite movies.  It is hilarious. ;D

Written By: nally on 01/18/08 at 5:30 pm

I can't really say I remember her, per se, since most of her work was done before I was born...and when she passed away, I was still in the single digits. But I love watching I Love Lucy! :D 8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/08 at 3:21 am

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e246/angelboyd73/vitameatavegamin.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/08 at 3:24 am

Hoping that the image works:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1604980.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F10638597BE02438DEFD5A5397277B4DC33E

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/08 at 5:50 pm

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e246/angelboyd73/vitameatavegamin.jpg

Are you un-poop-u-lar?  ;D  Do you pop out at parties?  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/19/08 at 6:30 pm

This is so true,I use to watch her all the time,one of my all time favorities is the episode with Harpo Marx,sadly I too have not watch an episodes on TV land recently :-[

She starred with Harpo and his two other brothers in "Room Service".

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/08 at 12:37 am

When she was still alive, I remembered her for a Three's Company special where she presented the best moments of the show.  She was in the apartment, and John Ritter comes up and was all surprised lol

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 9:35 pm

When she was still alive, I remembered her for a Three's Company special where she presented the best moments of the show.  She was in the apartment, and John Ritter comes up and was all surprised lol

I remember that... and the one where George Burns salutes the TV show Fame....both appearances seemed weird to me.

How about that last series she did?  I wish I remembered it better.

Written By: cinnabon on 01/31/08 at 6:12 am

I remember that... and the one where George Burns salutes the TV show Fame....both appearances seemed weird to me.

How about that last series she did?  I wish I remembered it better.

It was called "Life with Lucy" and it ran during the 1986-87 season on ABC - she played a woman who involved herself constantly in the lives of her son and his wife and it was directed by Marc Daniels, the first director on I Love Lucy. A lot of people didn't seem too fond of the series though, even among diehard Lucy fans, who seemed to prefer her when she was younger.

Written By: Bobby on 02/14/08 at 5:16 pm

I remember watching the rather farcical 'I love Lucy' in the early mornings about 15 years ago before getting ready for school. I think it had her husband in it Desi Arnaz (spelling?) and I enjoyed it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/08 at 6:38 pm

you know I was watching I Love Lucy yesterday and today...actually I was only listening to them because I was getting ready for work on both days.

They were two of the Connecticut eps... one was the one where Lucy promised (w/o checking w/ him) that Ricky would perform for her Women's club  (YOU'D THINK SHE'D KNOW BETTER BY NOW  ::) )

The second was the one with the statue for the founder's day celebration...the last episode of the series.  (Those horrid Desi & Lucy hours don't count)

Anyway- in listening to them I heard something that I had not picked up on before. 

Everyone sounded so angry.  I knew that the relationships were falling apart that Lucy and Desi had seperated (or divorced) by then.  But even the exchanges between Lucy and William Frawley & Lucy and Vivian Vance were just dripping with animosity...  anyone else ever notice this?

It was kind of a sad thing to pick up on.

I think it helps to just listen to the tone of the voices without watching the actors.. That's probably why I never noticed before... I was always watching!

Written By: woops on 02/18/08 at 6:40 pm

Everybody's familiar with her and I've seen a few episodes of "I Love Lucy" like the one where she's working at a chocolate factory or something

Written By: musicgirl on 02/20/08 at 11:19 pm

I grew up watching reruns of I Love Lucy on TVLand, but I don't remember her because she passed away a few years before I was born.

Written By: Mudbug on 03/06/08 at 10:54 am

I used to love her on that show.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 9:48 pm

I used to watch I love Lucy as a kid in the 80's. When I saw some of her non-I.L.L work I was surprised how much of a serious actress she could be.  Does anyone remember a movie of the week in 1985 where she played a bag lady?

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/08 at 9:49 pm

I used to watch I love Lucy as a kid in the 80's. When I saw some of her non-I.L.L work I was surprised how much of a serious actress she could be.  Does anyone remember a movie of the week in 1985 where she played a bag lady?

That was really good it was called The Stone Pillow

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 9:55 pm

Thanks! You really have a good memory!

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/08 at 9:56 pm

Thanks! You really have a good memory!

or an illness.... disability... mental defect  :D  at least my mother thinks so!  but funny when she wants to know this stuff she always calls me!  ;D

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 10:00 pm

or an illness.... disability... mental defect   :D   at least my mother thinks so!  but funny when she wants to know this stuff she always calls me!  ;D

Well if I had the ability right now I'd give you a point because how many people would actually remember a TV movie from the 80's? I remember it because our 3rd grade teacher discussed it in class.

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/08 at 10:04 pm

Well if I had the ability right now I'd give you a point because how many people would actually remember a TV movie from the 80's? I remember it because our 3rd grade teacher discussed it in class.

thanks- its the thought that counts....btw you'll find on this board that people here have a very long memory and can recall even the most random things from fairly vague clues.

Written By: adagio on 06/20/08 at 12:13 am

It always impressed me that Lucy could be so pretty and disregard that in favor of her antics and stuffing her face with candy and looking like a toothless old woman.  I think most actresses now would not dare do the things she did for fear of looking ugly.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/26/08 at 3:02 pm

She started that rumor "about a radio station reception through her fillings"
as seen on Mythbusters!
I Love Lucy was great but the later shows wern't as funny.
But it was desilou studios that gave us star trek

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/08 at 8:44 pm

She started that rumor "about a radio station reception through her fillings"
as seen on Mythbusters!
I Love Lucy was great but the later shows wern't as funny.
But it was desilou studios that gave us star trek

It was also Desilu that gave us TV shows filmed before a live audience with a three camera format!  (A style that's still used 52 years later) Desi Arnaz was a genius!

Check for new replies or respond here...