inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Concrete and Clay

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/08 at 9:38 pm

Concrete and Clay is a beautiful song.  Click an artist below for it's youtube link to hear what each version sounds like ...

1965 - Unit 4 + 2
1965 - Eddie Rambeau
1976 - Randy Edelman

Subject: Re: Concrete and Clay

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/21/08 at 10:41 pm

I only know the Unit 2 + 4 version (I don't get to listen to the youtube clips)

Based on that version, I agree - it's a wonderful song!  :)

Written By: gibbo on 01/21/08 at 10:52 pm

Love that song. I preferred the original but Martin Plaza (an Aussie) did a very good version in the 80's. He was in the group Mental As Anything.

Interesting, the lack of movement from the waste down. maybe a hangover from the Elvis the Pelvis furore???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 2:17 am

I have only know the Unit 4 + 2  2 and Randy Edelman versions, and after the mid 70's I have always prefered Randy Edelman. Eddie Rambeau is new territory for me.

Written By: Paul on 01/22/08 at 7:01 am

In a different departure from the normal run of things at that time, the US version was a cover of the British original...

Didn't matter so much in Britain, but it did split the sales Stateside...

Unit 4+2 made some fine records in their time, but this was their only signifcant hit...

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/08 at 7:54 pm

In North America, both Unit 4+2 and Rambeau were in the chart at the same time.  American magazine Cashbox charted them together, where as Billboard (The official US chart) did not.  In Canada, RPM (Canada's then official chart) paired them in the chart together, so they both hit #1. 

I prefer Unit 4+2 over Rambeau, but I like Randy Edelman's version the best.  The horns he used made it sound even better :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/16/08 at 5:25 pm

I have only heard the Unit 4 + 2 version so voted for it. It is a great track.

Written By: Nostalgic on 02/22/08 at 12:53 am

Love it. Very catchy. I've also heard Martin Plaza's version from 1986, but I don't think that wasn't released outside Australia.

Check for new replies or respond here...