inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 50's - 60's Quiz Shows

Written By: cinnabon on 02/16/08 at 6:45 am

A lot of people at this board may not be old enough to remember many of the original game shows that aired in the 50's and 60's - I included the ones in the poll that have aired on GSN's black and white lineup.  I vote for What's My Line? and Password (the show that helped bring Allen Ludden and Betty White together)  :)

Subject: Re: 50's - 60's Quiz Shows

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/08 at 8:03 am

I can recall the British version of these Quiz Shows, but as for a favourite I donot really have on from the given list.

Written By: nally on 12/11/16 at 11:03 pm

What's My Line and I've Got A Secret are my two top picks on this poll. They have a similar premise, but I see them regularly on the BUZZR channel now.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/12/16 at 10:14 pm

I went with other - my favorite from the 60's was Let's Make A Deal  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/13/16 at 7:08 am

I went with other - my favorite from the 60's was Let's Make A Deal  :)

Do you remember the one with Monty Hall?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/15/16 at 6:43 am

Sadly, most of the episodes from this version are gone, but Concentration, hosted by Hugh Downs (the former 20/20 co-anchor). It was also important in that it really began the shift of quiz/game shows from primetime into daytime, where it would remain a staple for the next few decades. At least the '70s and '80s versions are still intact and I fondly watched the tail end of the later as a kid growing up. Its also more challenging in that unlike the '80s version with 25 squares, the original had 30 and also had gag gifts that later versions lacked, similar to a Zonk on Let's Make A Deal.

Of those that you've listed, definitely the original Price Is Right with Bill Cullen.

Written By: nally on 01/01/17 at 12:31 am

Do you remember the one with Monty Hall?

He was the emcee for the longest time, even when the original version began in '63. I haven't seen that version, but I'd like to at some point. Maybe I can find it on Youtube.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/17 at 2:47 pm

He was the emcee for the longest time, even when the original version began in '63. I haven't seen that version, but I'd like to at some point. Maybe I can find it on Youtube.

I'm pretty sure it's on there.

Written By: nally on 01/01/17 at 3:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it's on there.

Aha... I just found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvNXm_5kLmo

Check for new replies or respond here...