inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Searching for a cartoon...maybe Merrie Melodies

Written By: Butterball on 02/24/08 at 1:57 pm

This cartoon had a guy flying a plane straight up into the air, at one point he says "I've got icing on the wings", they pan over to the wing and there's a polar bear walking around on the wing. At the very end, the plane starts back down in a nose dive, the pilot pulls back the canopy with his scarf blowing back in the wind, pulling back hard on the control stick. Finally crashes into the ground, the smoke clears, the narrator says " Is he hurt, is he killed?"...The pilot crawls out of the wreckage and says "Umm, could be".

Help me find the title for this please.

Subject: Re: Searching for a cartoon...maybe Merrie Melodies

Written By: saver on 02/24/08 at 4:19 pm

This cartoon had a guy flying a plane straight up into the air, at one point he says "I've got icing on the wings", they pan over to the wing and there's a polar bear walking around on the wing. At the very end, the plane starts back down in a nose dive, the pilot pulls back the canopy with his scarf blowing back in the wind, pulling back hard on the control stick. Finally crashes into the ground, the smoke clears, the narrator says " Is he hurt, is he killed?"...The pilot crawls out of the wreckage and says "Umm, could be".

Help me find the title for this please.

Have no title, but remember various versions of when Bugs Bunny or a pilot was troubled by the popular 'Gremlin'..with Bugs he was flying and the Gremlin would open the door of the plane and almost cause Bugs to be sucked out and the line 'Umm could be' was also used I believe when they discovered the problem were 'gremlins' and a bunch would pop up at the end of the toon and say that...

Maybe Warner animation has an expert on title for you or you can throw it to a cartoon writer webboard through www.newsfromme.com
and ask if anyone knows as many readers are cartoon writers.

Ahhhh...even better...contact thius guy: jbeck6540@aol.com

I had his card for some years now, I hope he kept the same address...he owns cartoon research co.
web site is www.cartoonresearch.com 

Written By: woops on 02/24/08 at 5:28 pm

Not familiar and don't think it features Gremlins since Warner Bros. only did "Falling Hare" and "Russian Rhapsody" (gremlins from the Kremlin vs. Hitler)

I reccomend the Golden Age of Cartoons site, though their boards are very strict and dominated by harcdore animation buffs.

Written By: Butterball on 02/24/08 at 5:41 pm

Ok, I did a google search for Merrie Melodies...The title of this particular cartoon was "Ceiling Hero", it was a spoof on pilots. Found the name of a lot more titles that I had for gotten, including the gremlin episode that was mentioned above. Remember the "Wim Wam Whistling Shark", cartoon titled "Fresh Fish". Hard to believe these cartoons were made in the 30's, 40's, etc. Where did people watch them?

Written By: woops on 02/24/08 at 5:48 pm

They were shown in the movie theatres inbetween newsreels and feature films.

Also, they were originally aimed at adults not kids.

Written By: Dr. J on 10/18/08 at 2:16 pm

What was the narrator's name (real name).  Also, I am looking for an old merrie melodies cartoon that ended with two mice coming out of their respective homes in the wall and one whispers to the other "Merry Christmas" and the other one hollers "QUIET" very loudly.  Anyone have any ideas?....thanks

Written By: Butterball on 10/18/08 at 2:25 pm

What was the narrator's name (real name).  Also, I am looking for an old merrie melodies cartoon that ended with two mice coming out of their respective homes in the wall and one whispers to the other "Merry Christmas" and the other one hollers "QUIET" very loudly.  Anyone have any ideas?....thanks

I remember that cartoon very well, but I don't know the title. Try google, I'm sure you'll be able to find it thru them. Can't help you  with the narrator's name either...sorry.

Check for new replies or respond here...