inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tom & Jerry

Written By: woops on 02/26/08 at 6:30 pm

Anybody into 1940's MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons?

For some reason, it's now the only classic theatrical cartoons currently being shown on television and the DVD sets are  edited/dubbed. Though the cartoons are uncut on the Academy Award winners/nominations DVD set, which features 12 cartoons from the popular cat & mouse duo and a few other MGM cartoons.  8) Though "Old Mill Pond" and two others should've been included since I doubt they'll be on a DVD set anytime soon...

Fun facts:

The most cartoon series that won an Academy Award with 7 wins: "Yankee Doodle Mouse", "The Cat Concerto", "The Little Orphan", "Quiet Please", "Two Mousekteers", "Quiet Please", and "Johan Mouse".

"Yankee Doodle Mouse" and "Little Orphan" are among my favorites  8)

There was controversy with "Cat Concerto" since it has a similar plot as "Rhapsody Rabbit", a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he also plays "Lizt's Second Hungarian Rhapsody" and gets interrupted by a mouse.

All directed by William Hanna & Joe Barbara (1940 to 1958, others from Gene Dietech & Chuck Jones, but frowned upon by animation buffs)

In the debut cartoon "Puss Gets The Boot", Tom is called "Jasper" and looked more like a realistic cat. Nominated for an Oscar, but lost to "The Wilky Way" (also from MGM) in 1940.

Yes, they've talked before. Jerry spoke in the movie "Anchor Aways" and Tom in a few cartoons like "Quiet Please" and "Zoot Cat".

And let's not talk about the '70's tv cartoons with them as friends and the even more inane theatrical movie from the early 1990's

Subject: Re: Tom & Jerry

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/26/08 at 7:20 pm

Thanks for the fun facts.  Zoot Cat is my absolute favorite!  Iz you iz or iz you aint's my bebee?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/29/08 at 1:33 am

I used to love watching the old Tom & Jerry cartoons after school, they were by far the most violent cartoons ever made.  :D

As far as making them friends in the 70's, WTF were they thinking?

Filmation also made a few Tom and Jerry cartoons in the late 70's/early 80's, they were even worse than the 70's cartoons.  :P

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/29/08 at 11:44 am

I love Tom and Jerry.

Doesn't it seem that after the H-B years, they went downhill?

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 6:11 pm

wow, i didn't tom and jerry dated back to the 40s i thought it came out in the 80s and don't forget they came out with tom and jerry kids

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 9:54 pm

I loved T & J back when I was a kid in the 80's. Maybe it was because I wanted Tom to finally eat that obnoxious mouse, especially when he did that silly dance!  ::) :)

Written By: karen on 03/10/08 at 1:35 pm

I loved the old H and B Tom and Jerry.

Does anyone else remember this board game?  I know we had this but can't recall what the game was about!

http://www.neatstuff.net/games/tom-jerry.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/10/08 at 3:34 pm

I love Tom and Jerry.

So do I!  :)

Doesn't it seem that after the H-B years, they went downhill?

It sure does... :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/10/08 at 8:20 pm

I love the original Tom & Jerry, I can tolerate the ones by Chuck Jones but I absolutely HATE those directed by Gene Dietech...the animation is horrible and the sound effects are the worst. 

I think Nibbles the baby mouse from The Two Mouseketeers is too cute.

Written By: robby76 on 03/11/08 at 8:58 am

It's on the Cartoon Network as I type!

My great auntie loved Tom & Jerry and even as an 80 yr old, would still watch her vhs tapes.

The family favourite Tom & Jerry episode is The Cat Concerto!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nagpV0dKRM

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/11/08 at 10:49 am

The Gene Deitch films are pretty weird.  :D I don't like the ones with the fat guy voiced by Alan Swift...those are just too mean-spirited...http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/44/200px-Highsteaks.jpgbut the "mad scientist" ep, the "goofy bird" ep, the "Build Your Own Tom & Jerry Cartoon Kit", and the one where they are temporarily buddies and get drunk on the floor of a luxurious penthouse suite...those are a lot of fun and bring me much childhood nostalgia.  :)

The Chuck Jones ones certainly lost some of the sentimental appeal, and some of them don't even have a plot...just Road Runner/Coyote situations sometimes, and I also know they ripped off the one where Jerry and an unnamed mouse torment Tom through the house chimney from a Looney Tunes cartoon...but I find those immensely enjoyable, too.

I'd love to get the DVD box sets, but I find it pitiful that they censored a few of the films because of stereotypical ethnic humor (prpobably involving "blackface") in order to be PC...Disney and Looney Tunes knows that animation fans are smart and know their history, and still offer their cartoons uncut in spite of objectionable material. (But let's see Disney offer an official DVD release of "Song Of The South" if they have any juevos. :-\\)

The current T&J cartoons shown on 'Kid's WB' syndication nowadays at least attempt to capture some of the old cartoons' flavor with some modern-day touches.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/11/08 at 10:50 am

I think Nibbles the baby mouse from The Two Mouseketeers is too cute.

"C'est la guerre!" http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4138/mouseketeer2oc2.jpg ;D

Written By: woops on 03/11/08 at 9:07 pm

As for "Song of the South", part of it is on "One Hour In Wonderland" special on the "Alice In Wonderland" DVD with Briar Rabbit tricking Briar Bear to get into a snare trap and the song "Zip A Dee Do Dah".

There was plans of a release of the movie on DVD, but Robert Igor  wanted it to keep it banned.

Back on topic...

Honestly, I don't remember any Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons. Gene Deitch... the weirdest probably the one with Tom & Jerry in ancient Rome (or Greece) with strange sound effects.

"Tom & Jerry Tales"... I don't like the new Tom's scream. It's not that bad, though not good either. Atleast they're not cheesy  futuristic super heroes or in CGI.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/14/08 at 12:34 pm

Honestly, I don't remember any Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons. 

Here's an excellent example (had to dig deep in Youtube for it...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8yD63U2eKs

look for more from member "erkanowski"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 6:34 am

Violent but fun

Written By: mary on 04/02/08 at 11:32 pm

i thought tom and jerry were only out in the 80s i had no idea they came out in the 40s interesting, i think in the 90s were tom and jerry kids

Written By: woops on 04/03/08 at 9:01 pm

I find it funny that some people think Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc. are from the decade they grew up in, but were actually from early decades, made for theatres, and aimed towards adults.

As a young kid in the 1990's, I knew they were from another era from the candle stick phones, the full animation (contrast to tv animation), and referances to past pop culture and topical topics from WWII to 50's era sitcoms.

Written By: midnite on 04/06/08 at 11:27 pm

As a kid of the 80s we watched alot of cartoons from earlier decades.  I thought they ALL were new at the time.  Shows such as Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Flintstones.

By the way, did anyone watch Mr. Slim Goodbody, Romper Room, or The Great Space Coaster

Check for new replies or respond here...