inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summer Wine and proms in the late 60s - please help with information

Written By: jayare on 02/29/08 at 1:51 pm

I'm trying to compile a story for a family member based on her life in the 60s (she was born in 1951) as a birthday present. Can anyone here please tell me if the song could have been played at a prom in '67 or '68? Also, someone told me that the song was performed at the Monterey Pop festival in 1967, all of which was way before my time. Living in Finland at the moment, so running down to the local library is not really an option. any help much appreciated. I have looked this up but personal stories are always that much more interesting.

Subject: Re: Summer Wine and proms in the late 60s - please help with information

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/08 at 3:30 pm

I'm trying to compile a story for a family member based on her life in the 60s (she was born in 1951) as a birthday present. Can anyone here please tell me if the song could have been played at a prom in '67 or '68? Also, someone told me that the song was performed at the Monterey Pop festival in 1967, all of which was way before my time. Living in Finland at the moment, so running down to the local library is not really an option. any help much appreciated. I have looked this up but personal stories are always that much more interesting.

Have you tried out wikipedia?

Subject: Re: Summer Wine and proms in the late 60s - please help with information

Written By: jayare on 02/29/08 at 6:25 pm

of course. Nothing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/08 at 3:09 am

Summer Wine on wikipedia

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/08 at 3:11 am

Summer Wine on YouTube sung by The Corrs and Bono

Written By: jayare on 03/01/08 at 11:17 am

thanks, I know all the versions of the song, even the foreign-language once and the history around it including all the trivia around how Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood met and started working together, Hazlewood's work with Anna Hanski and so on. What I'm looking for is (semi) personal stories of people who heard it somewhere, in schools, in concerts, at dances. Basically all the stuff you can't really find on Wikipedia or any of the other information sites.

Written By: Obbop on 11/07/08 at 9:43 pm

From memory.....

Strawberries cherries and an angel's kiss of spring. My summer wine is really made from all these things. Take off your silver spurs and help me spend some time.... and I will give to you.... summer wine. Oh ohhhhhhh summer wine. (female sang that part.)

Then the male sings.

Male/female alternate

Catchy tune.

I considered the tune to be a ballad-type song since it conveyed a story and the lyrics conveyed the main aspect of the song vice the musical instruments.

My recollection is of the Sinatra/Hazelwood version.

Played on Am stations in the San Francisco Bay area. Didn't receive a lot of airplay. Lots of competing music back then when fewer stations to play the songs.

FM was around but most folks I knew listened to AM out of habit and because many of the FM stations apparently didn't have the broadcast power back then that they have today.... or, perhaps today's broadcast equipment is simply better.

I can still hear the tune in my mind despite not having heard it on the radio for many many years.

Check for new replies or respond here...