inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jay Ward Cartoons (ie "Rocky & Bullwinkle", original "George of the Jungle")

Written By: woops on 03/06/08 at 9:13 pm

Most people probably never heard and/or not familiar of  the name  Jay Ward, but many would recognize his creations like "Rocky & Bullwinkle". :)

Info about Jay Ward. I recently bought some DVDs, which I find quite entertaining and better than Hanna Barbara cartoons of the same era in terms of writing, IMHO.

Nevermind the bad movies based on the cartoons  and recent "George of the Jungle" cartoon (though still never seen the original).

Subject: Re: Jay Ward Cartoons (ie "Rocky & Bullwinkle", original "George of the Jungle"

Written By: KKay on 03/06/08 at 9:47 pm

this is so weird. i was just pm - ing about a Tex Avery cartoon ...an old one with a similar look...
I enjoyed thos jay Ward cartoons and loved Rocky and Bullwinkle.  I really liked all of the cartoons of the era; my early child hood in 67-71.

Subject: Re: Jay Ward Cartoons (ie "Rocky & Bullwinkle", original "George of the Jungle"

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/06/08 at 11:58 pm

I so very well remember Jay Ward.

I grew up in the early '70s laughing from these '60s cartoons. Maybe I'm a little stuck up, but I feel these were some of the best cartoons directed to those with a more intellectual mindset than the regular Hanna-Barbara limited animation slapstick.

There was some great concepts in these cartoons that were probably missed by and lost upon the general public.

Rocky & Bullwinlke and some of the other character spin offs of the show can still be watched and still generate laughs today. 8)

Smart and silly cartoons for the thinking TV public, Family Guy of its day? :-X

Subject: Re: Jay Ward Cartoons (ie "Rocky & Bullwinkle", original "George of the Jungle")

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/07/08 at 11:57 am

Great topic!  :)

Instead of voting for my favorites (because I can't decide  ???)  I voted for ones I thought nobody else would.  Specifically, I picked Hoppity Hooper and Super Chicken.  I remember each of those fondly (in different time periods), and they seem to be forgotten cartoons.

Of course, I like all the others.  Although I'm having a hard time remembering "Crusader Rabbit"  :-\\

Question: was it one of these shows that had "Commander McBragg"?

Subject: Re: Jay Ward Cartoons (ie "Rocky & Bullwinkle", original "George of the Jungle")

Written By: woops on 03/07/08 at 4:08 pm

I saw "Hoppity Hooper" on a retro Thanksgiving marathon last year, which is the first time I watched it. Also have it on a cheap dollar DVD. Here's a review.

Though "Commander McBragg" was produced by Total TV (Under Dog), it did aired along with Hoppity Hooper cartoons in the mid 1960's. Don't know why, but guessing Jay Ward productions shared rights to some of the cartoons from Total TV.

Most of the Jay Ward cartoons are available on DVD.

"Crusader Rabbit" is the first television cartoon, though dates back to the later 1940's to mid 1950's.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/26/08 at 3:24 pm

If I could have picked 4 .Super Chicken would have been there!
A hero that drank martinis......(super sause)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1426067894dd84ab/

Written By: woops on 03/30/09 at 3:59 pm

Hokey Smokes!, "Rocky & Bullwinkle" will air on WGN

The classic cartoon series, not the horrid CGI movie.

WGN America will launch The Bullwinkle Show with a two hour marathon Friday April 17th from 8-10 ET. What we know is the marathon will feature episodes with the main story arc "Wossamotta U".

In the regular slot the next night the main story arc will be "Rue Britannia".

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 11:37 pm

Rocky & Bullwinkle, great cartoon Also liked Mr. Peabody & Sherman and Fractured Fairytales. Tom Slick...not bad.. but George of the jungle, great theme song.

I have a friend for 40 years and I used to call her "Super chicken" because of the show..but after all these years I forgot why I called her that, and I'm sure she doesn't remember either.

Written By: woops on 10/26/09 at 3:07 pm

"Rocky & His Friends" is on syndication on my local CW affiliate  8) (though nolonger on WGN)

Though the intro's different and not the one used on the DVD sets or the syndicated Bullwinkle show. It features a parade with a calliope and elephants.

Ironically before "The Simpsons", which Matt Groenning have stated to be influenced from the show.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 4:49 pm

Rocky & Bullwinkle, great cartoon Also liked Mr. Peabody & Sherman and Fractured Fairytales. Tom Slick...not bad.. but George of the jungle, great theme song.

My votes exactly!  :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/29/09 at 1:14 pm

I'd have to say Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Boy, I would like to see those shows now.

Written By: alleykid76 on 11/10/09 at 7:16 pm

Rocky and Bullwinkle was an incredibly great cartoon. When my daughter was young I bought six VHS tapes of R&B and she loved them. Of course there was also Fractured Fairy Tales,  Boris and Natasha, Dudley Do-right, Snidely Whiplash and Nell, Mr. Peabody and of course, Fearless Leader.                             
Ya know...this is the old fart coming out in me... why can't cartoons today be as intelligent and witty as those. I mean, Sponge Bob is O.K., but the stuff back then was so far advanced. Maybe it's a P.C. thing. Someone would probably find Boris, Natasha and Dudley as unacceptable stereotypes.
  There was a lot of crazy violence back then: Coyote vs Roadrunner, Tom and Jerry, Sylvester and Tweety Bird,  Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny and the Tasmaniam Devil, Mighty Mouse, Underdog, "Phineas J Whoopee, you're the greatest" 
  The stuff nowadays may be more educational, inclusive, peaceful, culturally diverse, and politically correct...but it's not near as fun.

Check for new replies or respond here...