inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Little Lulu

Written By: woops on 06/02/08 at 9:48 pm

Did anybody read the comic books or watch the cartoons (the mid '40's theatrical shorts and/or the mid '90's HBO series that are based on the comics)?

Never read the comic books, though the '90's cartoon was good. What I find a bit odd (even for the early/mid 20th century)  is that they were written by John Stanely and appear to be taken from a female perspective. Though I know the character was created by Marge Buell. The best would be "Green Girl", when Lulu & Tubby created a hair tonic, the lemonade sell, and snow fight. 

Several of the '40's cartoons are in public domain and some are OK like "Loose In A Caboose" and "Bargain Counter Attack". Though the character was bland.

Subject: Re: Little Lulu

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/08 at 9:51 pm

I watched the cartoon when I was younger..and Vaughn likes to watch it now.  I always sort of favored Lil' Audry though.

Written By: LaurieBeth on 06/21/08 at 3:27 pm

The only character I ever learned to draw was Little LuLu. That was 40 years ago and I can still draw her today!

Written By: Zeb on 08/02/08 at 5:50 pm

I only remember the HBO 90s series, not too bad:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/08 at 10:00 pm

I remember there were Little Lulu comics in a chest in my grandparents' basement.  The classic early ones had no caption, everything was expressed in the drawing.  Charles Addams often did the same.  I recall one panel where a kid is sliding down a bannister and Little Lulu is shoving a cactus right where his butt's gonna fall.  It was a little dark and sadistic at times. 

I also seem to remember some kind of TV movie franchise on the name Little Lulu, but these had nothing to do with the early comics, to which only Tim Burton could do justice!
8)

Written By: woops on 09/25/09 at 2:49 pm

"Little Lulu Show" theme (1995/1996)

"Mimibur"

"Poor Little Rich Boy"

Lulu's Stand-Up sequence

1940's cartoon:

"Bargain Counter Attack"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/2346524930_311b95f55c.jpg

Written By: hot_wax on 10/18/09 at 9:07 pm

Influenced by the "Little Lulu" comics, in 1956 Gene Vincent wrote his hit song "Be-bop-A-Lula".

Check for new replies or respond here...