inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's talk latter-day Beatles

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/08 at 5:33 pm

I realized most of the time when I talk music, it's stuff from the early 1980s and up...but the Beatles are one of my longtime favorites too. :)

Even though it's way before my time in the literal technical sense, I still grew up listening to their latter stuff (it's as sentimental to me as the actual current songs 'cause I heard both at the same time, lol). My dad especially was/is a big fan of theirs, and I have great childhood memories tied to Sgt Peppers and part 1 of the White Album.

I'll have to do full album reviews later when I've got enough time, but I like them because they've got alot of variety in their songs (I don't think any two sound indistinguishable from each other), and it's more catchy pop as opposed to classic rock. In that respect it's kinda like '80s music (even if the production style and some instruments are different of course).

Overall it kinda occured to me that Sgt Peppers is actually pretty dark. "She's Leaving Home" is almost heartachingly sad, and "The Benefit of Mr. Kite" is just wild and trippy (I heard it was inspired by a 19th Century carnival poster one of the guys saw). Even the happier pop songs tend to have some dark elements. Like "When I'm 64" is a kind of vaudeville-influenced song where Paul is worried about whether life will be as good when he's aged, or "With a Little Help From my Friends" where Ringo is afraid of being alone. 

There's other great individual songs from that 1966/67 to 1970 period, like "Hello Goodbye" is melodic medium pop, and "Let it Be" is a catchy piano ballad that gets kinda upbeat as it goes.

Subject: Re: Let's talk latter-day Beatles

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/29/08 at 9:44 pm

I always perfered the later day stuff to that crappy "baby yeah yeah" stuff

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Stereo
Year: Originally 1967
Bitrate: 320
Bootleg
Download...
http://sharebee.com/99a58ebc

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour, Stereo
Year: Originally 1967
Bootleg
Download...
http://sharebee.com/e077b4df

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Year: Originally 1969
Bootleg
Download...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A8K6LWG5

The Beatles (White Album)
Year: Originally 1968
Bootleg
Download...
1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NBR0DRYX
2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OBRQAYOQ

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine
Year: Originally 1969
Bootleg
Download...
http://rapidshare.com/files/22777905/ysub.zip

Manson was a big fan for sure!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/30/08 at 11:05 pm

*Bump*

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/01/08 at 9:42 am

Since I've been a Beatles fan for almost 14 years, this is a topic I can easily relate to :0)

The Beatles really took off in the second half of the '60s. Even after Beatles for Sale album, they had pretty much removed themselves from the happy-go-lucky sound that first got them really big. I think this was because they were spending more and more time in the studio until they stopped touring all together in 1966.

I think their latter-day stuff had a more raw, edgy sound. Many people consider Sgt. Pepper as their breakthrough album, but I think the White Album really showed their chops as a group. Plus, who can deny a double dose of the Beatles in one single package!

Some of their best songs from this era, I would say, are:

Julia (very moving tribute to John's deceased mother)
Dear Prudence (written about Mia Farrow's hippie sister)
Happiness is a warm Gun (very edgy for it's time)
Long, Long, Long (slow, but beautiful melody)
Honey Pie (good 'ol 30s style singin')
I Will (sweet declaration of love-road type of song)
Martha My Dear (about Paul's dog)
I'm So Tired (evident of John's boredom with his domestic life)
Back in the U.S.S.R. (fun song!)

.... the list can go on. It's actually a very consistant album. It has many rare little gems on it. I remember hearing it in full for the first time and rediscovering songs with each listen.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 5:19 pm

^ Right on Krissy. :)  8) I knew you were a Beatles fan too, but that's cool that we've got the same fave with the White album.

It's got just about every style of music imaginable for 1968 standards. I love trying to decipher what some of the songs are about. I've heard that it was initially slated to just be a single album of the "better" songs, but I'm glad they ended up making it a double. Even the ones I don't listen to as much make it that much more interesting. I've gotten much more attached to Part 1, I think it's more pop-friendly and it's also the one I heard much more as a kid. For Part 2, I do love "Birthday" (fun energetic pop/rock) and "Mother Nature's Son" (lovely accoustic ballad), but maybe I should listen to those songs more.

I know what you mean about their progression too. With most bands, it's touring and stuff that takes up time, which probably is why they could pump out albums so quickly (one, even two per year sometimes), but it's a shame they never toured. It would've been really cool to see how those songs would've sounded live.

P.S. You know what's funny, I never considered "Honey Pie" to be a real song (even if it's an interesting piece), just 'cause it's so short and only has one line (the title lol). I always kinda considered it a segue between "Obladi Oblada" and "Bungalow Bill". I love both of those too. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/08 at 12:07 am

I'm not big on Sgt. Pepper (Though I love the album that inspired it - The Mothers' Freak Out!)

I do like their later albums, though, quite a lot. Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, and Abbey Road are my very favorites.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/08 at 4:39 am

One of the advantages of age is being able to say I was there.  I remember when they came to the states, I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show, and on their last tour I saw them live in Boston.  The thing that is  so unique about them is the evolution of their music.  It changed dramatically because they were one step beyond musicians, they did not find a niche and stagnate in it.  I love and appreciate what they did.  I'd also write more but I am off to work.  I will key in later with my faves.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/03/08 at 12:01 am

I'm not big on Sgt. Pepper (Though I love the album that inspired it - The Mothers' Freak Out!)

I do like their later albums, though, quite a lot. Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, and Abbey Road are my very favorites.

Right on dude. I didn't actually even know that about Sgt Peppers either. It's weird to think that Zappa was around as long as the Beatles were. Both were groundbreaking, it's just that he was less mainstream I guess.

Written By: holicman on 07/03/08 at 8:04 am

Abbey Road for me :)

One of my favourite ever beatles songs is "golden Slumbers".

I dont know why, I just love the song :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/08 at 11:37 am

^ Right on Krissy. :)  8) I knew you were a Beatles fan too, but that's cool that we've got the same fave with the White album.

It's got just about every style of music imaginable for 1968 standards. I love trying to decipher what some of the songs are about. I've heard that it was initially slated to just be a single album of the "better" songs, but I'm glad they ended up making it a double. Even the ones I don't listen to as much make it that much more interesting. I've gotten much more attached to Part 1, I think it's more pop-friendly and it's also the one I heard much more as a kid. For Part 2, I do love "Birthday" (fun energetic pop/rock) and "Mother Nature's Son" (lovely accoustic ballad), but maybe I should listen to those songs more.

I know what you mean about their progression too. With most bands, it's touring and stuff that takes up time, which probably is why they could pump out albums so quickly (one, even two per year sometimes), but it's a shame they never toured. It would've been really cool to see how those songs would've sounded live.

P.S. You know what's funny, I never considered "Honey Pie" to be a real song (even if it's an interesting piece), just 'cause it's so short and only has one line (the title lol). I always kinda considered it a segue between "Obladi Oblada" and "Bungalow Bill". I love both of those too. :)

Isn't it a great album?? Yes, and I used to LOVE "Birthday." Still love it! I just remember that my evolution of music pretty much changed when I discovered the Beatles. And with each album of theirs I listened to, it was like this overwhelming feeling would come over me. Like pure exhileration. They pretty much taught me what real great rock was.

You know what I'm just realizing now. There's "Honey Pie" and then there's "Wild Honey Pie." The latter is the one between Ob-la-di, Ob-la-Da and Bungalow Bill. I just haven't looked at the album listing in such a long time, I didn't realize that had two songs on there so close in name.

Even though half the group has passed on, I have fulfilled one lifelong dream in my life - I saw Paul McCartney live in 2005. I think I could've died that night and had been happy  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/03/08 at 2:37 pm

Things We Said Today, could listen to that a thousand times

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/04/08 at 1:26 pm

The "1967-1970" album is the best to hear. As a matter of fact, it beat the "1962-1966" album.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/08 at 4:33 pm

Here Comes the Sun doo n doo doo    :)

The syncopated clapping is just soooooo right

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/05/08 at 1:12 am

Ah! Paul saw those lyrics on some sheet music his dad had; but since he couldn't read music, he wrote his own for the words.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/05/08 at 1:54 am

I love it all, from the Early Beatles to the latter-day Beatles. as a group, they could do no wrong. it's all good to me. I appreciate every album and song.  being an 8 year old kid and witnessing Beatlemania in America, and then hearing each new album when they came out was something I'll never forget. and since the topic is latter-day Beatles, I'm amazed at how they just got better and better all the way to Let It Be. I enjoy the early stuff "All My Loving" just as much as the latter stuff  "Helter Skelter" it doesn't matter, I can listen to them every day and then Sir George Martin and son Giles recreated with the "Love" album, a stunning piece of work which is my favorite record. it's extraordinary.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/08 at 5:39 am

I love it all, from the Early Beatles to the latter-day Beatles. as a group, they could do no wrong. it's all good to me. I appreciate every album and song.  being an 8 year old kid and witnessing Beatlemania in America, and then hearing each new album when they came out was something I'll never forget. and since the topic is latter-day Beatles, I'm amazed at how they just got better and better all the way to Let It Be. I enjoy the early stuff "All My Loving" just as much as the latter stuff  "Helter Skelter" it doesn't matter, I can listen to them every day and then Sir George Martin and son Giles recreated with the "Love" album, a stunning piece of work which is my favorite record. it's extraordinary.

Well, we are on the same page  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/09/08 at 5:39 pm

I am also a huge Beatles fan, and I've found that as I've gotten older, I've continued to love them more and more.  I never get tired of them, I can listen to them costantly, and I find new and interesting parts of songs that I'd never heard before.  I think Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers are probably my favorite albums, but I can honestly say I love everything. Like Mike, I think Love is just a gorgeous album too.  I love the version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that's on it.  I have always loved the original, but that one just makes my heart hurt for some reason. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/10/08 at 8:57 am

I would have to say my fav album are the later ones. Far more creative, although as far as a breakthrough album it would hve to be Rubber Soul.
I used to sing Golden Slumbers to my kids when they were babies.
When I was pregnanat with my oldest she is 25 now I had to listen to Sgt Pepper everyday( it was a craving ya know like pickles and ice cream).
As a teenager she asked me to listen to this really cool cd she had found guess what it was? Sgt Peppers lonlely hearts club band. Abbey road is her fav and her 1 yr old loves it, he bops in his car seat to it all the time that and REMs version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evillaugh.gif

She then (years later) to introduce my youngest son to Maxwells silver hammer. He loved it.
I guess some music is just timeless............ Silver Hammer http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evillaugh.gif

Written By: gemini on 07/10/08 at 4:14 pm

I totally agree. I love it all. I love the Early stuff because I love the sound of the amps back then. Like the very beginning guitar of I Want To Hold Your Hand. I love the way those songs sounded. Then the changes as the years went by and they experienced different things, like the Maharishi and drugs. It all had an effect on the music they made. I love all of it and never get tired of it. Same with all their solo stuff.  Listened to some of George's songs today.  None of it ever gets old to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/11/08 at 8:31 pm

Oh yeah cool, you had a similar experience to my mom, who was literally just about turning 10 in early 1964 when they went on Ed Sullivan. I think that was the first music that was kinda more universal (Elvis and '50 rock was big, but seemed too rebellious to really be embraced in the mainstream), and I heard just about all kids at the time loved it.

I love "Let it Be" too, especially how it starts off as a piano ballad but slowly builds up. I like the organ and keyboards too, it's more of a catchy ballad, as opposed to "The Long and Winding Road" which is more sad and somber (but I love that one too).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/08 at 12:39 am

Oh yeah cool, you had a similar experience to my mom, who was literally just about turning 10 in early 1964 when they went on Ed Sullivan. I think that was the first music that was kinda more universal (Elvis and '50 rock was big, but seemed too rebellious to really be embraced in the mainstream), and I heard just about all kids at the time loved it.

I love "Let it Be" too, especially how it starts off as a piano ballad but slowly builds up. I like the organ and keyboards too, it's more of a catchy ballad, as opposed to "The Long and Winding Road" which is more sad and somber (but I love that one too).
yeah Marty, I'm sure your mom's experience was very similar, because being anywhere from 8 to 18 years old during the time that the Beatles were together was exciting and fun. There was this intense anticipation & thrill for each new song and album that came out & it made us feel a bit more grownup & rebellious because our parents weren't too accepting of them, with their long hair and clothing and pointy boots  ;D I had me a pair of Beatle boots. They were a lot more interesting than the Folk music I had been exposed to through my older sister.
Let It Be is one of my favorite songs. I love it. I remember playing the 45 record on our phonograph, just played it over and over and over.
I think on the first few albums from 1963 to Help in 1965, they sang mostly about love & relationship issues, and then in 66 with Revolver, they started to sing more about life and began the  psychedelic stuff.  I remember being 11 when Sgt Pepper's Lonely hearts Club Band came out and me and my friends were still innocent and not very aware of the drug/counter culture. 2 more years and then we became very aware of it  ;)   

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/08 at 4:39 am

Oh that's cool, Yeah, I had no idea what almost any songs were about until I was 11ish either, sometimes even older. I just liked how they sounded, but the lyrics went over my head (I usually took everything literally, lol).

I agree they got more of a fanbase when they sang about deeper subjects. My dad who is born in 1938 (so around 30 then) is a huge fan of their late albums, more than the early stuff.

Yeah, my grandpa (who died just before I was born) apparently made fun of them when my mom and uncle got into it. Not in an "I hate it" way, but like "I dont get what these darn kids today are into". ;D My grandma on that side was surprisingly hip for her age, and I think casually liked some of their songs.

I imagine it was a huge generation gap though 'cause there was NOTHING adults could relate it to when they were growing up. Back then "your parents time" meant the Depression or the big band era lol.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/14/08 at 11:50 am

Oh, the anthologies are interesting too.

Lots of filler, but there are some nice outtakes, B-sides, alternate versions, and demos. I especially like the extended version of "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" and a demo of "And Your Bird Can Sing," which is basically John and Paul singing over the background tracks whilst practically rolling on the floor in laughter.

Check for new replies or respond here...