inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Courtship Of Eddie's Father

Written By: Mushroom on 07/27/08 at 11:15 pm

I have long wondered what happened to this show.

I grew up watching it, and over the years it seems to be both fondly remembered, and totally forgotten.  Just when I think I am the only one that remembers it, the theme song appears in some commercial.  Yet as wonderful as this series was (between "My Favorite Martian" and "The Magician" in Bill Bixby's career), it is unavailable on DVD.

Am I the only one that remembers this series?  And why can I get almost any crappy sitcom ever made on DVD, but not a truely incredible gem like this?

Subject: Re: The Courtship Of Eddie's Father

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/08 at 12:18 am

The longer these DVD Companies wait to put it on DVD, the people who were alive when it was a popular show won't be around to get the DVDs, and the way DVD companies work, if Season 1 doesn't sell, there won't be a Season 2

With the recent success of HULK, I am sure new fans will dive into the original series, and in turn, look at Bixby's career and stumble across Courtship of Eddie's Father.  I used to watch reruns in the 80s, but it's been so long, I don't remember much.  I'd definately get the DVD sets if they came out :)

Written By: gibbo on 07/28/08 at 1:02 am

I was sitting around the table with some family reminiscing about this show just yesterday. I would certainly buy it if it came out.........but I have to get through my Fjying Nun DVD's first... ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/08 at 2:36 pm

Where all the other girls were gaga for David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, and/or Donny Osmond, I was SOOOO in love with Bill Bixby (though it was "The Magician" that really clinched it for me). I cried the day he died.  :\'( :\'( :\'( 

The Courtship of Eddie's Father was indeed a gem-and even though the series is not remembered too well, the movie that the series was based on is remembered even less-starring Glenn Ford & Ron Howard played Eddie. The movie was more of his dating where the series was more of a father/son bonding. And of course you have the WONDERFUL music of Harry Nilsson.

Edited to add: It is on DVD:

http://www.tvaddicts.tv/movie/comedy/The_Courtship_of_Eddies_Father.html

However, I would be a bit cautious of this. It may be a Chinese bootleg-then again, it may not be. 

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/28/08 at 4:47 pm

I was watching the very first episode of Kung Fu with David Carradine, and guess who was one of the guest stars?  Brandon Cruz...Eddie 
here's a small Youtube clip of Eddie and his dad Bill Bixby talking about life and girls, it's too cute  :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6wbPX1nM-Y
and then of course you have that wonderful theme song "Best Friend" performed by Harry Nilsson

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/08 at 9:13 pm

However, I would be a bit cautious of this. It may be a Chinese bootleg-then again, it may not be. 

I am very cautious.  IMDB is very good about saying if a movie or TV show has been officially released on DVD or VHS.  And it is showing nothing for TCOEF.  Also things like "Region Code 0" and "DVD-R" are a bit tip-off that it is probably a cheap copy.

And looking through their listings, there are a huge number of shows listed that have not been released officially on DVD.  This includes such classic shows as Salvage 1, Project UFO, and WKRP ("original unedited", which is not what is available from authorized DVD).  And many others are obviously copies.  Some even mre expensive then buying the real thing.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/03/08 at 5:16 pm

I only know the theme which was written by Nilsson.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/08/08 at 12:05 pm

Where all the other girls were gaga for David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, and/or Donny Osmond, I was SOOOO in love with Bill Bixby (though it was "The Magician" that really clinched it for me). I cried the day he died.  :\'( :\'( :\'( 

The Courtship of Eddie's Father was indeed a gem-and even though the series is not remembered too well, the movie that the series was based on is remembered even less-starring Glenn Ford & Ron Howard played Eddie. The movie was more of his dating where the series was more of a father/son bonding. And of course you have the WONDERFUL music of Harry Nilsson.

I was absoulty in love with Bill Bixby ever since My favorite Martian. I thought David Cassidy was too conceited, Bobby Sherman, I prefered Robert Brown the older brother on Here come the Brides. But I loved Mickey Dolenz also. My other really odd crush was OMG I can't believe I'm admitting this Glen Campbell. :-[

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/08 at 9:46 pm

'Course I remember the Courtship of Eddie's Father.

Thing is, I don't remember Mr. Eddie's Father getting, you know, "courted" very much!
:P

Written By: ninny on 11/24/08 at 4:33 pm

Cat

You were not alone,I too thought a lot of Bill Bixby and was distraught by his passing. :\'(
The Courtship of Eddies Father was a great show,Brandon Cruz was so adorable :-*
I would go around singing"People let me tell you about my best friend
He's a warm hearted person who'll love me till the end.
    People let me tell you 'bout my best friend,
    He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down, my pride and joy.

People let me tell you 'bout him he's so much fun
    Whether we're talkin' man to man or whether we're talking son to son.
    Cause he's my best friend.
    Yes he's my best friend."

Written By: Zeb on 01/23/09 at 10:07 am

That was back in the early and I mean early days of Nick at Night. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 8:46 pm

That was back in the early and I mean early days of Nick at Night. 

TV Land should rerun all those short-lived sit-coms from the sixties through the eighties. 

I'd rather see "Courtship" than "Third Rock from the Sun."  Fuh, I'd rather see a dead horse in the road than "Third Rock"!
::)

"Courtship" was set up as a sit-com, but I remember it as more drama-oriented.

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/25/09 at 9:55 am

TV Land should rerun all those short-lived sit-coms from the sixties through the eighties. 

I'd rather see "Courtship" than "Third Rock from the Sun."  Fuh, I'd rather see a dead horse in the road than "Third Rock"!

"Courtship" was set up as a sit-com, but I remember it as more drama-oriented.

Yes. I agree. There was more drama to the show. At the end of each episode Eddie learned a valuable lesson. TV land has overlooked quite a few shows that I personally consider classics.

Written By: star80 on 01/25/09 at 11:55 am

It was a good show.  I watched probably every one of the shows when I was growing up.

Written By: ninny on 01/25/09 at 12:19 pm

Yes. I agree. There was more drama to the show. At the end of each episode Eddie learned a valuable lesson. TV land has overlooked quite a few shows that I personally consider classics.

So true,it seems like more family  shows in the 50's-70's taught kids valuable lesson. Shows like Leave It to Beaver,The Andy Griffith Show,The Waltons,Little House On the Prairie,The Brady Bunch. In the 80'sI would have to say The Cosby Show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 12:16 am

Yeah...I just don't think viewers nowadays would find a Japanese nanny who refers to "Mr. Eddie's Father" to be anything but an objection of derision!
:(

There are others, such as, "My World and Welcome To It," which ran only fall 1969 to spring 1970, is one I've never seen.  Even if the writing's crummy, I'd still watch it. 

The Beverly Hillbillies and Andy Griffith run pretty thin after a while. 

TV Land could run the entire "My World" series (not to be confused with My World Series)  in a month, and I guarantee with a little promo investment, there would be a viewership spike. 

Of course, with some of these old, forgotten, short-lived programs, there might be a wrangle with rights and even the integrity of the tapes!

When are they gonna bring back "The Odd Couple"?  That hasn't been on ages!

Written By: Mushroom on 01/29/09 at 12:44 am

When are they gonna bring back "The Odd Couple"?  That hasn't been on ages!

Actually, it was last on in 1983.  It ran for one season, with Demond Wilson as Oscar, and Ron Glass as Felix.

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/29/09 at 7:32 pm

Actually, it was last on in 1983.  It ran for one season, with Demond Wilson as Oscar, and Ron Glass as Felix.

Yeah! I remeber that. Although Wilson and Glass are fine actors the show didn't have the same charisma as the original.

Written By: Frank on 02/08/09 at 7:04 pm

Both my wife and I like this show a lot.
I'd like to see it on DVD (just as I want to see the Wonder years on DVD and My three sons)

Eddie was cute.
I always liked it when the Japanese maid (Mrs Livingstone) said "Mr. Eddie's father" and never called him Mr Corbett, or Tom...

I never cared much for Tina. Uncle Norman was OK.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 5:59 pm

how did we get through two pages of discussion on Courtship of Eddie's Father and no mentions Jodie Foster?  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWomoLg1j3Y&feature=related  except for the whole women are here to cook dinner for men thingy I love this show!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 1:23 am

N-n-n-no! I'm not talking about that rubbish!  I mean, the other rubbish...the original TV series with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman.  They oughta run that again on TV Land and get rid of that Hogan's Heroes crap (apologies to any Hogan fans).

To bad about Demond Wilson (aka Lamont Sanford), he seemed like such a cool dude, but he turned out to be a paranoid reactionary minister preaching against the evils of the New Age movement!

Written By: Frank on 05/29/09 at 12:40 am

Brandon Cruz ( Eddie) turns 47 years old today.

Written By: snozberries on 05/29/09 at 12:42 am

Happy Birthday Mister Tom Corbett's son!  ;D  this show really needs to come to DVD...

Written By: Frank on 05/29/09 at 12:47 am

Happy Birthday Mister Tom Corbett's son!  ;D  this show really needs to come to DVD...

Amen to that. This show and the Wonder years.

Check for new replies or respond here...