inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any Peter Paul and Mary fans?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/08 at 6:52 am

My dad has their Ten Years Together hits album and I remember hearing it as a kid. I always liked "Blowing in the Wind" and sometimes "Puff the Magic Dragon" (as sentimental and heartbreaking as it sounds), but I kinda forgot about the rest until the other day. I was really depressed and listened to it all the way through (it's not the best stuff for that lol, it's mostly ballads), but I realized again how good some of the songs were.

They're really a good folk/pop band that sung about alot of political and social issues of the '60s and early '70s (which I had no idea about when I was younger, so I identify more with that side of it now).

Aside from the two songs I already liked, I'm into "500 Miles" (sad accoustic ballad, that sounds like it's some woman on a train running away from home), "If I Had a Hammer" (poppy, positive song about wanting to make a change in the world) and the more upbeat "Too Much of Nothing" (which has a little rock influence).

Subject: Re: Any Peter Paul and Mary fans?

Written By: ninny on 08/12/08 at 8:27 am

I'm a fan  :) They also had a version of Leaving On a Jet Plane,plus I like .. I Dig Rock and Roll Music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/08 at 9:02 am

^Right on. :) Oh yeah those are good too. "Jet Plane" is pretty and "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" is fun, as one of their few totally upbeat songs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/08 at 11:32 am

BIG fan here. I got their 10 Years Together album when it first came out and I was so excited and was telling people about it and I got the same reaction, "Who are Peter, Paul, & Mary?"  :o :o :o  When I mentioned Puff, they were like, "Oh, ok" and gave me a strange look thinking that was their ONLY song. About 20 years ago, they did one of their Christmas concerts on PBS and I was there recording it. Even though the tape is pretty worn now (really need to replace it), I still watch it every year at Christmas. My ABSOLUTE fav P,P, & M song is a Christmas tune: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rleWR6_0mq4

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/12/08 at 8:31 pm

I'm a pretty big fan. I like all the other songs mentioned, especially "Puff The Magic Dragon".

My favorite from them is probably "Right Field" (that one came out sometime in the '80s which was later in there career). It's about a kid that's not a very good baseball player catching the winning out during a game. It's a catchy, upbeat, and very well written song that always reminds me of playing baseball every day in the summer when I was a kid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/08 at 1:14 am

Another big fan here, I grew up listening to their songs

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/17/08 at 3:31 am

I'm a pretty big fan. I like all the other songs mentioned, especially "Puff The Magic Dragon".

My favorite from them is probably "Right Field" (that one came out sometime in the '80s which was later in there career). It's about a kid that's not a very good baseball player catching the winning out during a game. It's a catchy, upbeat, and very well written song that always reminds me of playing baseball every day in the summer when I was a kid.

Good stuff, man. I actually had no idea they were still around in the '80s (in the sense of charting with new material), I'll have to check that one out.

EDIT: Just saw it on YouTube - not bad, I liked it. It's got a warm, breezy nostalgic feeling and I know what you mean about feeling like a Summer song. It sounds alot like their older stuff, and probably could've come out in 1970.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 10:54 am

Me ,too huge fan. Puff used to make me cry when I was little. I actually thought it was about a dragon, but I was only about 8.

Written By: Zeb on 08/25/08 at 3:38 pm

" If I had a Hammer " is my fave.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/08 at 5:25 pm

" If I had a Hammer " is my fave.

If I had a hammer, there would be no folk singers.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

j/k

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/18/08 at 6:47 pm

I always liked them, even today I appreciate they're song "Blowing in the Wiind" it sort of started the ball rolling in trying to stop the Viet Nam war through message songs. Yes I'll always be a fan of theirs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/08 at 1:40 pm

I always liked them, even today I appreciate they're song "Blowing in the Wiind" it sort of started the ball rolling in trying to stop the Viet Nam war through message songs. Yes I'll always be a fan of theirs.

I'm sure you know that "Blowin' in the Wind" was supposedly written by Bob Dylan but I heard rumor that Bob stole the song. Of course there is no proof otherwise Bob probably would have been sued a long time ago.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/19/08 at 6:55 pm

I'm sure you know that "Blowin' in the Wind" was supposedly written by Bob Dylan but I heard rumor that Bob stole the song. Of course there is no proof otherwise Bob probably would have been sued a long time ago.

Cat

Hi Cat, did Dylan make that song popular or PP&M? I remember they both had versions on the radio at different years but PP&M version was version had more exposer to the masses on network radio in a sing song way only, and Dylan's version was more of a message song popular with underground stations. PP&M version got me to change my attitude on the Viet Nam war, I think around 64',  and Dylans version put  a stamp on it and it became the national athem of the protest movement about 66'(?), it's been awhile and the dates are fuzzy but I believe it was that song that open the flood gates for change in America. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/08 at 2:22 pm

Hi Cat, did Dylan make that song popular or PP&M? I remember they both had versions on the radio at different years but PP&M version was version had more exposer to the masses on network radio in a sing song way only, and Dylan's version was more of a message song popular with underground stations. PP&M version got me to change my attitude on the Viet Nam war, I think around 64',  and Dylans version put  a stamp on it and it became the national athem of the protest movement about 66'(?), it's been awhile and the dates are fuzzy but I believe it was that song that open the flood gates for change in America.   

Bob Dylan made the song popular. I heard the rumor from Carlos who's ex-wife knew the kid who had supposedly wrote it. I just check with Snoops and they said the rumor is false.  :-\\

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/blowin.asp

BTW, there is ANOTHER rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/10/08 at 7:10 am

I saw them over here in Oz in the late 80's and loved the concert. For some strange reason I found the tears flowed when Puff The Magic Dragon was performed. :o

I liked most of their stuff.....those boys could play great guitar and sing great harmonies.

A Soulin' hasn't yet been mentioned and was an excellent song.

Also Tiny Sparrow is cute...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmFFo_LEik

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/08 at 7:13 am

The trio canceled several dates of their summer 2007 tour, as Mary took longer than expected to recover from back surgery and later had to undergo a second surgery, further postponing the tour. They made up at least one of the dates, at the Northfork Theatre (formerly Westbury Music Fair) in June 2008.

Written By: gibbo on 10/10/08 at 8:38 am

The trio canceled several dates of their summer 2007 tour, as Mary took longer than expected to recover from back surgery and later had to undergo a second surgery, further postponing the tour. They made up at least one of the dates, at the Northfork Theatre (formerly Westbury Music Fair) in June 2008.

I was looking at some of their recent clips on Youtube and that explains why she was sitting while holding a walking stick....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/08 at 4:30 pm

I saw them over here in Oz in the late 80's and loved the concert. For some strange reason I found the tears flowed when Puff The Magic Dragon was performed. :o

I ALWAYS have to fight the tears whenever I hear that song.

I liked most of their stuff.....those boys could play great guitar and sing great harmonies.

A Soulin' hasn't yet been mentioned and was an excellent song.

Also Tiny Sparrow is cute...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmFFo_LEik

Ahem.

BIG fan here. I got their 10 Years Together album when it first came out and I was so excited and was telling people about it and I got the same reaction, "Who are Peter, Paul, & Mary?"  :o :o :o  When I mentioned Puff, they were like, "Oh, ok" and gave me a strange look thinking that was their ONLY song. About 20 years ago, they did one of their Christmas concerts on PBS and I was there recording it. Even though the tape is pretty worn now (really need to replace it), I still watch it every year at Christmas. My ABSOLUTE fav P,P, & M song is a Christmas tune: 

Cat

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 5:54 pm

I ALWAYS have to fight the tears whenever I hear that song.

Ahem.

Cat

I stand (or sit) corrected ....as usual.  :-[  I see we have similar tastes (and even cry at the same songs).....we both chose that particular clip from the many on you tube (because it has the best sound quality). Maybe you're not so evil after all..... :-\\ ;) ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/08 at 6:19 pm

I stand (or sit) corrected ....as usual.  :-[  I see we have similar tastes (and even cry at the same songs).....we both chose that particular clip from the many on you tube (because it has the best sound quality). Maybe you're not so evil after all..... :-\\ ;) ;D

It is my twin that you are thinking of. She is the evil one.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 6:28 pm

It is my twin that you are thinking of. She is the evil one.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Now ...that line didn't work when you were growing up....and it won't work now!  ;D

Written By: Obbop on 11/07/08 at 8:53 pm

Early Mornin' Rain.....

Sigh..........

Groovin' on the outtasight acoustic guitar riffs.

Believe it is a Gordon Lightfoot song.

Anybody recall the controversy about Puff the Magic Dragon?

If i recall correctly at least one Congress critter conducted an investigation and the FBI may have become involved due to possible promotion of... Gasp!!!!!  advocating the inhalation of the evil weed!!!!!!!

Shock!!!! Eeeeeek!!!!!!!

Puff the Magic Dragon, yah know. Little Jackie (rolling) Paper.

It's a wonder the Commies didn't overthrow us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/07/08 at 9:35 pm

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee them! And I'm only 19.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/10/08 at 6:34 am

BTW, there is ANOTHER rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

;D ;D  ( I wouldn't hold my breath on that one)  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 6:37 am

Cat
I was under the impression that he has never been away.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/10/08 at 10:59 am

I was under the impression that he has never been away.

She means Dylan getting himself  back together.  If you have seen the movie No Direction Home you will have seen that he seems pretty screwed up.  That whole genius/insanity fine line thing.   ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/08 at 12:30 pm

She means Dylan getting himself  back together.  If you have seen the movie No Direction Home you will have seen that he seems pretty screwed up.  That whole genius/insanity fine line thing.   ;)
He sounds alright on the raido programme he has on BBC Radio 2.

Check for new replies or respond here...