inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Billie Holiday

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/20/08 at 9:03 pm

The grandmother of the blues.. great stuff, I love the music itself, but the antiquity of the recordings is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT_h8mQsD1Y

Subject: Re: Billie Holiday

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 11:27 am

Well here's a pic of my living room.... specifically the wall above my desk.  Where do you suppose I stand?  ;)

I don't know if you can tell by my monitor currently displays this particular topic.  ;D

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/DSC00409.jpg

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/21/08 at 2:59 pm

Well here's a pic of my living room.... specifically the wall above my desk.  Where do you suppose I stand?  ;)

I don't know if you can tell by my monitor currently displays this particular topic.  ;D

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/DSC00409.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance2.gif Wow I am in awe a fellow fan. I just love the pics you have. Yep I can see my blue moose.
I have a sketch of John Lennon over my puter.
I love that Lady Sings the blues wall hanging too!
I gotta get me some Lady Day for my house
I have a boat load of almost everything she recorded either on cd or on my ipod. I would love to find some old 78s'.
But if I went after all my passions I would be broke.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 10:01 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance2.gif Wow I am in awe a fellow fan. I just love the pics you have. Yep I can see my blue moose.
I have a sketch of John Lennon over my puter.
I love that Lady Sings the blues wall hanging too!
I gotta get me some Lady Day for my house
I have a boat load of almost everything she recorded either on cd or on my ipod. I would love to find some old 78s'.
But if I went after all my passions I would be broke.

yeah I know what you mean. Collecting is an expensive hobby. I have a ton of CDs and few LPs.

I saw Lady Sings the Blues in the theater when I was 5. my parents took me to it not knowing I was too young for the content.  I don't remember actually seeing the film  but I do have a conscious memory of seeing two scenes.

1- the scene with the klan and Billie on the bus
                        2- the scene of Billie detoxing in the "rubber room'

I had nightmares about these things for years- I was haunted by these scenes not really knowing what they were. It wasn't until I was 14 and saw Lady Sings the Blues in it's entirety that I was able to connect my nightmares with that film.

I fell in love with Billie's music through that film. I think Diana Ross was AMAZING!  but I also realized what an impact the film, moving pictures made on my life. I was too young to understand but affected by it anyway... that has ruled my life. So when I bought that poster it was like embracing my own history.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/21/08 at 10:11 pm

yeah I know what you mean. Collecting is an expensive hobby. I have a ton of CDs and few LPs.

I saw Lady Sings the Blues in the theater when I was 5. my parents took me to it not knowing I was too young for the content.  I don't remember actually seeing the film  but I do have a conscious memory of seeing two scenes.

1- the scene with the klan and Billie on the bus
                        2- the scene of Billie detoxing in the "rubber room'

I had nightmares about these things for years- I was haunted by these scenes not really knowing what they were. It wasn't until I was 14 and saw Lady Sings the Blues in it's entirety that I was able to connect my nightmares with that film.

I fell in love with Billie's music through that film. I think Diana Ross was AMAZING!  but I also realized what an impact the film, moving pictures made on my life. I was too young to understand but affected by it anyway... that has ruled my life. So when I bought that poster it was like embracing my own history.
Yeah that was how I was introduced to Billies music, from Lady sings the blues its on dvd, I have a copy. I was like 16 when I saw it.
And yes Dianan Ross was totally BELIEVABLE in that part.
Did I see some autographed pics of Lady Day amongst your collection?

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 10:16 pm

Yeah that was how I was introduced to Billies music, from Lady sings the blues its on dvd, I have a copy. I was like 16 when I saw it.
And yes Dianan Ross was totally BELIEVABLE in that part.
Did I see some autographed pics of Lady Day amongst your collection?

no, although I collect autographs I don't have hers. Mostly I just collect autographs of people I have actually met.

See the pics on the far left? One is the LP soundtrack to LStB (its burgundy and isn't very clear) under that is photo of a visit Billie took to a school in the south. My photo is a reprint but I have it because I cannot imagine what it must have been like for those kids, being black and in the south at the height of racial segregation and getting to meet Billie Holiday in person. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 10:17 am

no, although I collect autographs I don't have hers. Mostly I just collect autographs of people I have actually met.

See the pics on the far left? One is the LP soundtrack to LStB (its burgundy and isn't very clear) under that is photo of a visit Billie took to a school in the south. My photo is a reprint but I have it because I cannot imagine what it must have been like for those kids, being black and in the south at the height of racial segregation and getting to meet Billie Holiday in person. 

I know it really is a dark stain on our history....What difference does it make what color you are, or who you love. Anyway I don't want to rant and rave.
I have Justin Haywards autograph!!!! It is one of my most treasured  things. Because The Moodys are my all time fav band and always will be.

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/08 at 9:11 pm

I know it really is a dark stain on our history....What difference does it make what color you are, or who you love. Anyway I don't want to rant and rave.
I have Justin Haywards autograph!!!! It is one of my most treasured  things. Because The Moodys are my all time fav band and always will be.

True.... strange fruit is such a haunting song but I wish it never had to be written at all

Congrats on getting an Autograph from a member of your alltime favorite band. That's always so much fun.

Check for new replies or respond here...