inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jonathan King

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/21/08 at 10:13 am

I loved this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuY0ux8So_4
Whats the deal? I never heard about a scandal till I just you tubed this song.
Maybe some of my Brit buddies could enlighten me?
Thanks

Subject: Re: Jonathan King

Written By: Paul on 08/21/08 at 3:17 pm

He was charged with sexual offences against underage teenagers dating back to the 1970s. He was tried, convicted and spent several years at HM's pleasure until he was recently released on parole...

He still claims he was innocent of the charges and I gather he's taking his case to the European Court Of Human Rights...

The song that you linked to ('Everyone's Gone To The Moon') was his response to the 'kind of nonsensical drivel that Bob Dylan puts out' (Dylan was riding high about that time - 1965)

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/21/08 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I still love the song. Its so haunting.. I was also very young when it came out, 9 yrs old.

Written By: Paul on 08/21/08 at 3:25 pm

He was also the originator of the 'Ooga Chucka' chant on 'Hooked On A Feeling', which Blue Swede somehow made a monster hit of... :P

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/21/08 at 3:27 pm

He was also the originator of the 'Ooga Chucka' chant on 'Hooked On A Feeling', which Blue Swede somehow made a monster hit of... :P

I didn't know that either... I like that version better than BJ Thomas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/08 at 1:54 am

Jonathan King was last reported to be writing a musical, and has been seen driving his expensive car in the area where he lives.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 10:14 am

Jonathan King was last reported to be writing a musical, and has been seen driving his expensive car in the area where he lives.

Really I detest pedophiles, And that would really stink, because I love a lot of the things he did. I hope he was wrongly accused. Did you see his short movie "Vile Pervert"? Its very strange... and a musical.
/vilepervert.com/  It has some nudity in it and adult content.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/08 at 10:51 am

Really I detest pedophiles, And that would really stink, because I love a lot of the things he did. I hope he was wrongly accused. Did you see his short movie "Vile Pervert"? Its very strange... and a musical.
/vilepervert.com/  It has some nudity in it and adult content.
In one sense I do not wish to see it.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 11:11 am

In one sense I do not wish to see it.

I was driven by morbid curiosity, I skipped a lot of it. But like I said it was downright strange.

Written By: ninny on 08/22/08 at 11:55 am

I just got done listening to his version of Hooked On A Feeling. I also listened to BJ Thomas & Blue Swede.I would probably pick his version last,only because I'm use to the other two versions,that's not to say I didn't like his version

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/08 at 5:18 pm

Jonathon King certainly did contribute a lot to music (in all his various alter-egos) but there is something about the man I don't like. I'm not sure whether that is to do with the paedophilic charges against him or not.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 6:07 pm

He also founded and named Genesis
He looks so innocent on the vid for "Everyones gone to the Moon". Until the other day I had never heard of him.
I you tubed the song because I love it and hadn't heard it in years. I still love the song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/08 at 6:09 pm

Jonathon King certainly did contribute a lot to music (in all his various alter-egos) but there is something about the man I don't like. I'm not sure whether that is to do with the paedophilic charges against him or not.
St Cecilia ?

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/08 at 7:10 pm

St Cecilia ?

Yes, Jonathon King was part of St Cecilia with the song 'Leap up and down and wave your knickers in the air'. My dad had it on a single record. I may have to acquire that to see if it as corny as I remember it, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/08 at 1:40 am

Yes, Jonathon King was part of St Cecilia with the song 'Leap up and down and wave your knickers in the air'. My dad had it on a single record. I may have to acquire that to see if it as corny as I remember it, lol.
I can vaguely remember a black and white film on Top Of The Pops for this song.

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/08 at 8:00 am

I can vaguely remember a black and white film on Top Of The Pops for this song.

It got banned apparently, lol.

This was St Cecilia introduced by Noel Edmunds in 1985:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnb0Fn1_iDc

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/08 at 8:03 am

Sadly not the film I remember from somewhere in the depths of time.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 8:32 pm

I think its really silly... and the reaction or over reaction to it.

Written By: Bobby on 08/26/08 at 4:08 am

I think its really silly... and the reaction or over reaction to it.

I agree and, considering it came out in the 70s, I have heard more cheekier stuff than that.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/08 at 5:32 am

I agree and, considering it came out in the 70s, I have heard more cheekier stuff than that.  ;D
Judge Dread for instance?

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/26/08 at 11:59 am

Oh yeah.. What garbage, actually I think Judge "Drudge" was way worse. The song is silly but kinda fun. Although I don't see myself waving my "knickers in the air" ( and I doubt anyone else would either), well except my hubby!!!!! ;D

Written By: Bobo on 08/26/08 at 12:02 pm

"These bloody boots are killing me!"

Written By: Paul on 08/26/08 at 12:50 pm

The Judge (sadly no longer with us) was a terrific fella...I saw him years ago at a record fair in downtown sunny Swanley and he was as down-to-earth and as self-depreciating as you'd find him on his records...

...which, although they sound horrendously tame now, never got a split-second of radio airplay!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...