inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Elvis always be the King?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/24/08 at 11:09 pm

Will anyone ever beat Elvis Presley in album sales?

I have researched Elvis's album sales and most say he's sold between 600 million to 1 billion records worldwide. He even still continues to sell today. The Beatles are second to him. It's been 31 years after his death and no one has beat him in influence, album sales, and having the most people imitate him. Whether you're into him or not, you cannot deny that he's definately one of the most famous people in history! The point/question I'm trying to ask is about his album sales, and if anybody will ever surpass him in influence?

Subject: Re: Will Elvis always be the King?

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/08 at 12:45 am

Will anyone ever beat Elvis Presley in album sales?

I have researched Elvis's album sales and most say he's sold between 600 million to 1 billion records worldwide. He even still continues to sell today. The Beatles are second to him. It's been 31 years after his death and no one has beat him in influence, album sales, and having the most people imitate him. Whether you're into him or not, you cannot deny that he's definately one of the most famous people in history! The point/question I'm trying to ask is about his album sales, and if anybody will ever surpass him in influence?

considering people are not buying music the way they used to I think he's in no danger of losing his record. (pun was not intended)  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/08 at 2:24 am

In my opinion, he has never been the King of the Pop in the first place.

Written By: ninny on 08/25/08 at 5:36 am

Who do you consider that to be Phil?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/08 at 5:48 am

Who do you consider that to be Phil?
In the pop music industy, to be king you have to be a master of all trades. Elvis just sung other peoples' song and never composed any of his own.

Written By: ninny on 08/25/08 at 6:01 am

In the pop music industy, to be king you have to be a master of all trades. Elvis just sung other peoples' song and never composed any of his own.

So then would you say the kings were The Beatles,or maybe Elton John or Michael Jackson who both had a hand in their music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/08 at 6:02 am

So then would you say the kings were The Beatles,or maybe Elton John or Michael Jackson who both had a hand in their music.
Correct! Include Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Written By: ninny on 08/25/08 at 6:29 am

Correct! Include Freddie Mercury of Queen.

I see according to Wikipedia,the best selling musicans with over 500 million records are 1. The Beatles,2. Bing Crosby,3. Elvis Presley,4. Frank Sinatra,5. Michael Jackson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists#500_million_records_or_more

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/08 at 10:00 am

Yeah, fans tend to over-inflate artists' record sales who they like. I believe that Elvis sold about 500 million albums, not 1billion like fans say. I love him, but I don't lie about the sales! But I do tend to obssess about the artist/band in my head, Lol!

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/08 at 10:30 am

It would differ for each country, I would think

America had Elvis
Canada has Paul Anka
United Kingdom has Cliff Richard

Tons of songers with tons of hits and major album sales.  Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll, Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, but those titles don't really mean anything if you ask me

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 1:39 pm

I have to agree with that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/08 at 2:20 pm

America had Elvis
Canada has Paul Anka

Tons of songers with tons of hits and major album sales.  Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll, Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, but those titles don't really mean anything if you ask me
...only Paul Anka wrote his own songs (and for others).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/26/08 at 2:09 pm

I used to think Elvis was overrated myself, but then I made The Pilgrimage.  Everyone should visit Graceland at least once in their lifetime, it truly was a profound experience for me.

I went away thinking not that Elvis Presley was some kind of king or god or anything like that, but instead that he was just a really, really, really super cool guy.  8)

As far as records go, well, a picture is worth a thousand words...  ;)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/IMG_1174.jpg

Written By: hot_wax on 08/26/08 at 10:18 pm

I used to think Elvis was overrated myself, but then I made The Pilgrimage.  Everyone should visit Graceland at least once in their lifetime, it truly was a profound experience for me.

I went away thinking not that Elvis Presley was some kind of king or god or anything like that, but instead that he was just a really, really, really super cool guy.  8)

As far as records go, well, a picture is worth a thousand words...  ;)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/IMG_1174.jpg

I agree with you Al-B, just a real cool guy who was blessed with karisma. Early Elvis, and only early Elvis, is the only Elvis that deserves any kind of label or title, he showed us young kids how to dress cool talk cool and act cool just by him being himself.

As far as selling albums, he the winner, but all the other artists who he stole from or sang  songs written for or by other singers should get credit for his success in the sales too.

I haven't been to Graceland yet, maybe soon.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/27/08 at 3:41 am

I think he's a little overrated to be honest.

*ducks*

Written By: Bobby on 08/27/08 at 6:10 pm

America had Elvis
Canada has Paul Anka

I think this a true point. The labelling of 'King' is merely for commercial purposes imo. It's like calling Aretha Franklin 'The Queen of Soul' - it's merely a way of identifying someone.

Cliff Richard is very underated in terms of success because his international appeal isn't as obvious as The Beatles or Elton John. Cliff Richard has had commercial chart success in the UK for five decades (admittedly his success has slowed down since the early 90s though he is still going strong and in the last couple of years his album hit the top 10).

I like some of Elvis's songs and I think he influenced things at a crucial point in time. However, I believe if it wasn't Elvis it would be somebody else because I don't think Elvis is that special.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/08 at 3:03 am

Cliff Richard is very underated in terms of success because his international appeal isn't as obvious as The Beatles or Elton John. Cliff Richard has had commercial chart success in the UK for five decades (admittedly his success has slowed down since the early 90s though he is still going strong and in the last couple of years his album hit the top 10).

Cliff Richard bears the title of "The Peter Pan of Pop"

Written By: ninny on 08/28/08 at 6:36 am

Cliff Richard bears the title of "The Peter Pan of Pop"

Does that mean he doesn't want to grow up?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/08 at 6:38 am

Does that mean he doesn't want to grow up?
He just has not aged in appearance.

Written By: ninny on 08/28/08 at 6:53 am

He just has not aged in appearance.

Ok kinda like Dick Clark.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/08 at 6:06 pm

Is Prince the Prince of Pop?

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/29/08 at 12:35 am

Pill Poppin Elvis was always over rated in my books!
"love me Tenderizers"
"All Shook Uppers"
"Blue Suede Ludes"

Say what there is.But the price of Fame did have its impact on him .....

No Band will ever top The Beatles!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/08 at 6:09 am

I do not think Elvis Costello will ever be the King of Pop

Written By: hot_wax on 09/05/08 at 10:23 pm

I do not think Elvis Costello will ever be the King of Pop

Another Elvis? who would name their kids Elvis today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/08 at 6:01 pm

Another Elvis? who would name their kids Elvis today?
There again, Elvis Costello is not his real name.

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 1:21 am

Declan Patrick MacManus Has Left The Building ;D ;D ;D

Written By: hot_wax on 09/09/08 at 1:49 pm

Declan Patrick MacManus Has Left The Building ;D ;D ;D

That's a cool name, why did take Elvis Costello as his stage name?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 2:16 am

That's a cool name, why did take Elvis Costello as his stage name?
Costello is his mother's maiden name.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/08 at 2:34 pm

Costello is his mother's maiden name.

Ok! but do you know why Elvis? I didn't pay to much attention to his music, because I thought it was his real name and a cheap way to get attention to his music by using Elvis, exploiting Presley's first name. Why doesn't Lisa Marie put a stop to him using it if it's not his real name? 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 2:44 pm

Ok! but do you know why Elvis? I didn't pay to much attention to his music, because I thought it was his real name and a cheap way to get attention to his music by using Elvis, exploiting Presley's first name. Why doesn't Lisa Marie put a stop to him using it if it's not his real name? 
His stage name was suggested by Stiff Records manager Jake Riviera and he kept it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 2:46 pm

From wiki:

"Elvis is a given name which is derived from Old English Alviss, "all-viss" meaning "All wise". However, in Old English a stressed "a" often becomes an "e", hence Alvis → Elvis."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 2:48 pm

Elvis - Origin and Meaning of the name

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/08 at 3:02 pm

His stage name was suggested by Stiff Records manager Jake Riviera and he kept it.

I don't know why Lisa Marie didn't put up a fuss about it, If I was in charge of the Elvis Presley money machine I would have demanded a royalty from dime one using Elvis's name to sell records. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 4:06 pm

I don't know why Lisa Marie didn't put up a fuss about it, If I was in charge of the Elvis Presley money machine I would have demanded a royalty from dime one using Elvis's name to sell records. 
A name is a name, and really cannot be under copyright. It is the same as Paul Young cannot use Paul because Paul McCartney bears that name.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/08 at 4:26 pm

A name is a name, and really cannot be under copyright. It is the same as Paul Young cannot use Paul because Paul McCartney bears that name.

wrong, there are many lawsuits and laws that protect icon names and lets face it who else is named Elvis or would even think of taking a stage name as Elvis other than to profit from it...shame on him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/08 at 4:32 pm

wrong, there are many lawsuits and laws that protect icon names and lets face it who else is named Elvis or would even think of taking a stage name as Elvis other than to profit from it...shame on him.
The icon name is Elvis Presley, not Elvis.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/08 at 5:47 pm

The icon name is Elvis Presley, not Elvis.

I don't think so, I would have challenged the using the name Elvis in court and have a very good chance to win, it's a chosen stage name not his legal name...why Elvis? From what I remember marques on only used only "Elvis" on them and everyone knew who he was, on TV shows on the back groundstages a gaint Elvis was written in light bulbs spelling his name and we knew who he was and billboards promoting his corny films the Elvis dominated the poster and in smaller print the movie name was shown with the other actors, we knew Elvis, didn't know or care who else was in it and on the stripe in Las Vegas 10 ft letters of Evis was being promoted, everyone in the world knew his icon Elvis name, Presley didn't have to be used, the world knew the man as Elvis and to me Costello was a nobody in his beginings and used the name Elvis only to get attention and should not have been aloud to use the icon name Elvis for his fame or without paying a royalty for his fame.

Is there a lawyer out there who might have an opinion on the only 2 people in show business with the name Elvis? 

Written By: karen on 09/12/08 at 1:53 pm

You can not copyright a name.  Copyrighting is about protecting the creators right to use their original work.  You could perhaps copyright the style it is written as (such as font and layout)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/08 at 4:28 pm

Is there a lawyer out there who might have an opinion on the only 2 people in show business with the name Elvis? 

I work with a guy named Elvis.  He's  H O T!

Written By: hot_wax on 09/12/08 at 9:54 pm

You can not copyright a name.  Copyrighting is about protecting the creators right to use their original work.  You could perhaps copyright the style it is written as (such as font and layout)

I'm sure that the Presley Estate had their top lawyers question Mr. Costello's motive taking the most popular name in show business as his stage name...what nerve! I thought it was his real name and didn't care for him or his music because he used his Elvis name and didn't change it and have the courage to have his music and talent stand on it's own merit for fame and stardom, but to use a gimick to get attention, it's a joke, now that I know he deliberately took Elvis's name as his own to draw attention to work, I have absolutely no respect for the man, forget his music I'll never support him. End of subject thanks for the debate. HW

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/13/08 at 1:47 pm

Pill Poppin Elvis was always over rated in my books!
"love me Tenderizers"
"All Shook Uppers"
"Blue Suede Ludes"

Say what there is.But the price of Fame did have its impact on him .....

No Band will ever top The Beatles!!!

Yep,Yep really overated 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 12:33 pm

I had a volunteer at my old work with the name Elvis.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 3:27 pm

curious...how old are they today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 4:06 pm

curious...how old are they today?
The Elvis at my old work must had been in his mid-30's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 4:09 pm

Looking at the Birth Records for England and Wales 1837 to 1920, there are 70 recording of the naming of Elvis long before Elvis Presley was born.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 4:10 pm

Looking at the Birth Records for England and Wales 1837 to 1920, there are 70 recording of the naming of Elvis long before Elvis Presley was born.
...and there are 17 recording of deaths of males with the of Elvis.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 5:17 pm

The Elvis at my old work must had been in his mid-30's.

He must have been in a lot of fights growing up with that name.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 5:20 pm

...and there are 17 recording of deaths of males with the of Elvis.

Only in England?

Before, and how many after 1954?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 5:24 pm

Only in England?
...and Wales.

I cannot supply that answer for I am not a subscribed member to ancestry.co.uk, but from 1984 to 2005, it is 1,136 boys named Elvis in England and Wales.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 5:27 pm

curious, was he English and/or born after 1954?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/08 at 5:39 pm

I think he was of Hispanic descent.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 5:47 pm

...and Wales.

I cannot supply that answer for I am not a subscribed member to ancestry.co.uk, but from 1984 to 2005, it is 1,136 boys named Elvis in England and Wales.

OK, it seems to be a more common name in the British Isles but I think in the USA and to be named Elvis after 1954 takes on a different kind of aura, a target for teasing by kids growing up and as an adult it's like a label for being not taken seriously in the real business world except if your in show business and your last name is Costello and exploit the name Elvis with it's aura for cheap profit.  

Written By: hot_wax on 09/15/08 at 6:01 pm

I think he was of Hispanic descent.

again, not an American.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/08 at 2:13 am

again, not an American.
He certainly did not speak with an American accent.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/16/08 at 3:24 am

well, if Elvis is the King...then Little Richard must be the -----  ::) 

oh no you didn't  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0205HbM9I7k4BrzajzbkF/SIG=12ca16jo7/EXP=1221639623/**http%3A//www.danablankenhorn.com/images/little_richard.jpg

Written By: hot_wax on 09/16/08 at 12:58 pm

well, if Elvis is the King...then Little Richard must be the -----   ::)  

oh no you didn't   http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0205HbM9I7k4BrzajzbkF/SIG=12ca16jo7/EXP=1221639623/**http%3A//www.danablankenhorn.com/images/little_richard.jpg

HA! HA! HA!

Written By: hot_wax on 09/16/08 at 1:05 pm

He certainly did not speak with an American accent.

I'm not surprised that Hispanic's name thier son's Elvis, they name them Jesus too. Uh oh! move over John Lennon, Elvis is as popular as Heysoos

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/16/08 at 3:26 pm

HA! HA! HA!
i wouldn't have teased Little Richard like this,  but he himself said this joke many years ago, and it just cracked me up. he's a funny guy.

Written By: karen on 09/17/08 at 10:42 am

I get the same problem Philip does in that I am not registered with Ancestry.com so I can't access the full records.  However searching for the name Elvis with a birth year of 1955 in the USA finds pages and pages of them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/08 at 9:02 am

There was at least one boy born in 1935 given the name Elvis by his parents.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/08 at 9:04 am

In the 5th Century there was a St Elvis, an Irish saint who became bishop of Munster, Ireland.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/18/08 at 6:15 pm

I get the same problem Philip does in that I am not registered with Ancestry.com so I can't access the full records.  However searching for the name Elvis with a birth year of 1955 in the USA finds pages and pages of them.

Thanks for the leg work, you're probably rigth, but honestly I never ever heard of anyone with the legal name of Elvis up here in the Northeast of the USA, maybe in the South or Mid-West in the Biblebelt where the name Elvis takes on a different religious meaning to the locals, but up in the New York area a kid growing up stuck with a high profile name of Elvis would get the teased to tears or just get the crap kicked out of him for the hell of it...sort of like the Johnny Cash song "A boy named Sue"

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 2:45 am

People named Elvis
Elvis Brajkovic (born 1969), retired Croatian football player
Elvis Crespo (born 1971), Puerto Rican Merengue singer
Elvis Dumervil (born 1984), African-American football player, currently a defensive end for the NFL's Denver Broncos
Elvis Grbac (born 1970), U.S-born former NFL quarterback
Elvis Hammond (born 1980), Ghanaian footballer playing in Britain
Elvis Knapman (born 1985), Canadian race car driver
Elvis Mitchell (born 1958), African-American film critic, formerly with the New York Times
Elvis Perkins (born 1976), U.S-born singer/songwriter, son of actor Anthony Perkins
Elvis Sinosic (born 1971), Australian Mixed Martial Artist amd UFC Veteran aka The King of Rock N Rumble
Elvis Stojko (born 1972), former world champion figure skater from Canada
Elvis Vermeulen (born 1979), French rugby player
Saint Elvis of Munster

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 2:48 am

Also, and according to a recent study by the UK-based Pet Charity (PDSA) in the U.K, the name Elvis ranks eight in the top ten names chosen for a pet dog in Britain, the other nine being Tyson, after boxer Mike Tyson, which topped the list, followed by Harry, (after Prince Harry, or the boy wizard Harry Potter), Ozzy (inspired by Ozzy Osbourne), Robbie (for Robbie Williams), Rooney (for Wayne Rooney), Beckham (for David Beckham), Hilton (for Paris Hilton), Wallace (for Jessie Wallace) and Britney (for Britney Spears).

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/21/08 at 3:25 am

Elvis is too worshipped imo...he's not even in the same class as the Beatles musically. He didn't invent Rock'n'roll and copied from other performers. He did have charisma and stage presence though.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/22/08 at 11:10 pm

People named Elvis
Elvis Dumervil (born 1984), African-American football player, currently a defensive end for the NFL's Denver Broncos
Elvis Mitchell (born 1958), African-American film critic, formerly with the New York Times
Elvis Perkins (born 1976), U.S-born singer/songwriter, son of actor Anthony Perkins
Elvis Sinosic (born 1971), Australian Mixed Martial Artist amd UFC Veteran aka The King of Rock N Rumble
Saint Elvis of Munster

Good work, but you're showing me what I'm saying, they're foreighborn or probably born in the Biblebelt and are not named Elvis pretentiously except for the Perkins kid who was probably named Elvis for Elvis Presley, that's show business mentality, they're weird that way anyway. 

If I were born in 1955 or after, while Elvis Presley was the center of the universe in the USA starting from 1955 and my parents named me Elvis, I'd dis-owned them for setting me up to fight my way through life with that name, or just change to John or Paul or George, or even Harry, I'd blend a little more into society with those more common names other then Elvis which carries a lot of high profile bagage with it.

Could or would anyone today name their kid Pope John Paul or Your Highness how about Ghengis Khan, maybe Adolph Hitler? and if they did, think of the problems that kid would have...what do you think?     

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/25/08 at 1:03 am

Saint Elvis of Munster???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/08 at 2:03 am

Saint Elvis of Munster???
Not quite

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/26/08 at 11:13 am

Darn....Darn..Darn ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/08 at 12:19 pm

Elvis' dad was Vernon Elvis Presley.  I believe they traced his roots back to Wales.  He is also a distant cousin of Oprah.  Lisa Marie didn't stick Elvis' name in any of her childrens, I find that kinda odd.  Usually children want to pass on the name of a deceased parent, especially when the parent died when the child was so young.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/26/08 at 7:16 pm

Elvis' dad was Vernon Elvis Presley.  I believe they traced his roots back to Wales.  He is also a distant cousin of Oprah.  Lisa Marie didn't stick Elvis' name in any of her childrens, I find that kinda odd.  Usually children want to pass on the name of a deceased parent, especially when the parent died when the child was so young.

I don't know what kids she has, but Lisa Marie did the right thing, now they are their own person not having to live up to their name sake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 1:45 am

Another branch of his family come from Scotland.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 4:56 am

Another branch of his family come from Scotland.

That is the way with us Americans,  we're all from someplace else anyway, and most of us are from a half dozen somewhere elses  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 4:58 am

That is the way with us Americans,  we're all from someplace else anyway, and most of us are from a half dozen somewhere elses   ;)
Now I what like to see a Ancestry Chart for EP.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 5:13 am

You can google Presley ancestry, but the problem is a lot of people try very hard to tie Elvis and his ancestors to their own family tree that it can be a bit unreliable, but the first few generations a pretty solid.  All southern USA

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 5:15 am

You can google Presley ancestry, but the problem is a lot of people try very hard to tie Elvis and his ancestors to their own family tree that it can be a bit unreliable, but the first few generations a pretty solid.  All southern USA
I will still look online, but it is just the line back from his parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc, that interests me.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 9:23 am

Then there is the great unknown, he may have had a sister he didn't know about. 

www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/sep/25/woman-claims-kinship-to-elvis/?partner=RSS

Written By: ninny on 09/28/08 at 6:00 am

People named Elvis
Saint Elvis of Munster

This is a site my daughter goes to for baby names
http://www.babynames.com/name/ELVIS
It tells you the meaning,how popular the name is and where it places on the Social Security list

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/08 at 6:03 am

If you go into Ancestry and put the name Elvis in you will find lots of them.  I wouldn't say it was very common, but there are quite a few. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/08 at 6:04 am

This is a site my daughter goes to for baby names
http://www.babynames.com/name/ELVIS
It tells you the meaning,how popular the name is and where it places on the Social Security list
The origin of the name Elvis is Scandinavian?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/08 at 6:05 am

Wōden Heart ?

Written By: ninny on 09/28/08 at 7:03 am

I also found this
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Elvis

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/08 at 7:06 am

I also found this
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Elvis
True, in one sense, parents should think before naming their child?

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/08 at 2:40 pm

Wōden Heart ?

That's a good one!  ha! ha! ha!

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/08 at 3:13 pm

That's a good one!  ha! ha! ha!

True, in one sense, parents should think before naming their child?

Kid's should have a legal birth certificate "out clause" attached to it, giving them the right  to change their name they were given at birth if they wanted to, then if they wanted to called Elvis it was thier choice and not by a star struck parent to live with it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/08 at 3:19 pm

Kid's should have a legal birth certificate "out clause" attached to it, giving them the right  to change their name they were given at birth if they wanted to, then if they wanted to called Elvis it was thier choice and not by a star struck parent to live with it.
...but if you have changed your name, your schoolfriends will not know who you are?

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/08 at 3:23 pm

...but if you have changed your name, your schoolfriends will not know who you are?

They'll get used to it quickly.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/08 at 6:41 pm

They'll remember you if you wanted your name to be Sponge Bob Square Pants Jones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/08 at 3:34 am

They'll remember you if you wanted your name to be Sponge Bob Square Pants Jones.
...but how about twenty years at the School Reunion?

Written By: hot_wax on 09/29/08 at 9:04 pm

...but how about twenty years at the School Reunion?

Why not? if you changed it at 5, 8 or 10 years old they'll know you at 38 with the name you chose to be called. I bet their are people out reading this now that would have changed their name as a child before they can a do it legally as an adult. I know people today who changed their name as soon as it was legal for them to do so, I think 21 but it could be 18. People I know changed their names from Clement to Dominic and an Iris to Laura, and their was a boy named Francis who hated it and would kill you if you called them that. I like my given first name it was my grandfather's name, my last name is another thing, oh I like it alrigth, but I had to smack a few kids around from time to time who thought they can make some silly rhymes with it, after they called me MR. ......

Again, they will know you even in the obituaries. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 10/01/08 at 6:31 am

Elvis is a good name for a DOG!

Written By: hot_wax on 10/01/08 at 3:20 pm

Elvis is a good name for a DOG!

I thought "hound dog" was a cool name for a dog, but only if it was a mutt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/08 at 3:28 pm

I thought "hound dog" was a cool name for a dog, but only if it was a mutt.
Shep, or even Old Shep....

Written By: hot_wax on 12/17/08 at 10:05 pm

Good work, but you're showing me what I'm saying, they're foreighborn or probably born in the Biblebelt and are not named Elvis pretentiously except for the Perkins kid who was probably named Elvis for Elvis Presley, that's show business mentality, they're weird that way anyway.  

If I were born in 1955 or after, while Elvis Presley was the center of the universe in the USA starting from 1955 and my parents named me Elvis, I'd dis-owned them for setting me up to fight my way through life with that name, or just change to John or Paul or George, or even Harry, I'd blend a little more into society with those more common names other then Elvis which carries a lot of high profile bagage with it.

Could or would anyone today name their kid Pope John Paul or Your Highness how about Ghengis Khan, maybe Adolph Hitler? and if they did, think of the problems that kid would have...what do you think?     

Did you see the news today, a cracked pot named his son Adolph Hitler Campbell. For his 3d birthday party he wanted a birthday cake with his name Adolph Hitler written on it and a Shoprite refused to write that name on the cake and turned him away. That poor kid is only 3 years old already is getting a taste of what's in front of him next 80 years being shuned by society because of his insaine father and ignorant mother for agreeing to this maddness. The kid don't know now because he's to young to know anything, but when he gets the crap kicked out of him time after time because of that name he will change it to fit in and have a normal life in the USA or move to Germany and join the neo-nazi party where he'll be idolized for his name sake.

Oh!I almost forgot, he named his first daughter JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell she'll be 2 years old soon and he named his 1 year old daughter Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell. He says he's not a racist they're only names. Like I said before,there sould be a law that kids could change their names without parents permission at any time in their childhood life just to save their life.

PS...His father got a Wallmart to write his name on a birthday cake...shame on them!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/18/08 at 6:37 am

Did you see the news today, a cracked pot named his son Adolph Hitler Campbell. For his 3d birthday party he wanted a birthday cake with his name Adolph Hitler written on it and a Shoprite refused to write that name on the cake and turned him away. That poor kid is only 3 years old already is getting a taste of what's in front of him next 80 years being shuned by society because of his insaine father and ignorant mother for agreeing to this maddness. The kid don't know now because he's to young to know anything, but when he gets the crap kicked out of him time after time because of that name he will change it to fit in and have a normal life in the USA or move to Germany and join the neo-nazi party where he'll be idolized for his name sake.

Oh!I almost forgot, he named his first daughter JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell she'll be 2 years old soon and he named his 1 year old daughter Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell. He says he's not a racist they're only names. Like I said before,there sould be a law that kids could change their names without parents permission at any time in their childhood life just to save their life.

PS...His father got a Wallmart to write his name on a birthday cake...shame on them!

There are some, sick, sorry, excuses for parents in this world

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/08 at 9:41 am

Adolf Hitler Campbell!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/08 at 9:56 am

Adolf Hitler Campbell!  ;D
Elvis Campbell?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/18/08 at 7:24 pm

I know a guy whose last name is Campbell and everyone calls him Soupy, he hates it! 

Written By: hot_wax on 12/18/08 at 11:29 pm

I know a guy whose last name is Campbell and everyone calls him Soupy, he hates it! 

What can he do, there's certain names that have baggage attached to them, I think that's pretty creative even cool to have that as a nic name, or even The Souper would be cool too. 

Check for new replies or respond here...