inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Candy Bar of the 60's 70's

Written By: iquestion on 09/22/08 at 2:46 am

This may have been brought up before..but surprised, it wasn't acted on...

CARAVEL from Peter/Paul Mounds company..to think they now only offer ALMOND JOY AND MOUNDS!...

I remember the bar was the same as the $100,000 BAR..from NESTLES

The wrapper was white, brown and Aqua(I remember as if it were yesterday!) and the actor in most of the commercials(do you think youtube has this one?)..used some guy with horned rimmed glasses who was in a LOT of commercials those days..the one I remember,..he was  sitting on a cruise ship and eating his CARAVEL Bar!

Subject: Re: Candy Bar of the 60's 70's

Written By: hot_wax on 10/13/08 at 7:52 pm

This may have been brought up before..but surprised, it wasn't acted on...

CARAVEL from Peter/Paul Mounds company..to think they now only offer ALMOND JOY AND MOUNDS!...

I remember the bar was the same as the $100,000 BAR..from NESTLES

The wrapper was white, brown and Aqua(I remember as if it were yesterday!) and the actor in most of the commercials(do you think youtube has this one?)..used some guy with horned rimmed glasses who was in a LOT of commercials those days..the one I remember,..he was  sitting on a cruise ship and eating his CARAVEL Bar!

kudos...?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/08 at 10:45 pm

Chunky? 

I dunno, your guess' gooder 'n' mine!

Written By: hot_wax on 10/14/08 at 1:14 pm

Chunky? 

I dunno, your guess' gooder 'n' mine!

Reggie Bar?

Written By: iquestion on 10/22/08 at 2:05 am

Did you lose sleep on this one?

I called HERSHEY as they took over the Peter/Paul Candy company- a part of Cadbury..and thier info seemed to skip the chain of candies that Peter/paul had..

One office worker located this news: 1965 Caravelle        THAT WAS IT!! I wasn't dreaming the commercial at all!
But no further info on why it discontinued or any tantalizing descriptions.

Yet I believe a site does briefly list it later became $100,000 GRAND..It was just like it but I know NESTLES owned the $100,00 bar.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/22/08 at 3:22 am

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/food/caravel1.jpg

I remember loving these candy bars, but I vaguely remember them looking like this pic. I don't recall it being so full of caramel.  Now was it in one piece or 2 like the 100 Grand bar is now. I seem to think it was in 2 pieces. no matter what, it was good. good luck locating any video or images as they are scarce.  8)

Indescribably delicious!

Written By: iquestion on 10/23/08 at 1:30 pm

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/food/caravel1.jpg

I remember loving these candy bars, but I vaguely remember them looking like this pic. I don't recall it being so full of caramel.  Now was it in one piece or 2 like the 100 Grand bar is now. I seem to think it was in 2 pieces. no matter what, it was good. good luck locating any video or images as they are scarce.  8)

Indescribably delicious!

Kudos to you for validating the item!

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/25/09 at 5:58 pm

They were one of my favorite candy bars. If I'm not mistaken I think they were manufactured into the 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...