inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AMC doesn't show many old movies anymore

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/02/09 at 8:14 pm

I wanted to watch some classic movies this evening and while I was scrolling through the guide, I noticed TCM (Turner Classic Movies) was showing 2 westerns from the '50s this evening. I've seen enough westerns recently, so I wanted to check what was on AMC (American Movie Classics). What I was so shocked was that the next three movies were all from the 21st Century!  :-[ They were Constantine, Return to House on Haunted Hill  8-P (When Was 2007 "CLASSIC/RETRO"?) and Reign of Fire! Looking at the entire guide for the next 3 days shows only a few '50s/'60s films (mainly Western and Sci-Fi) during the overnight/early morning time slot and mostly '80s-'00s films for the rest of the schedule, with most prime-time films fonly from the '90s and today. I'm appaled at this owner of this network as the channel name is supposed to appeal to people OVER 40 (This is not Gen X's/Y's type of channel, and most people from Gen Y are backlashing against television (besides sports and reality TV) in general. It's another sad casualty in TV; you're better off going to your local library branch and renting DVD's. Probably the only things on TV I enjoy these days are the XM/Sirius music channels, the sports channels, Game Show Network, and VH1 Classic. The digital transition is happening at a BAD time; I just can't stand most of the "call toll-free" commercials too! 

Subject: Re: AMC doesn't show many old movies anymore

Written By: Bree on 01/02/09 at 8:21 pm

Turner Classic Movies still airs pre-1970's films

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/18/09 at 7:51 pm

I wanted to watch some classic movies this evening and while I was scrolling through the guide, I noticed TCM (Turner Classic Movies) was showing 2 westerns from the '50s this evening. I've seen enough westerns recently, so I wanted to check what was on AMC (American Movie Classics). What I was so shocked was that the next three movies were all from the 21st Century!  :-[ They were Constantine, Return to House on Haunted Hill  8-P (When Was 2007 "CLASSIC/RETRO"?) and Reign of Fire! Looking at the entire guide for the next 3 days shows only a few '50s/'60s films (mainly Western and Sci-Fi) during the overnight/early morning time slot and mostly '80s-'00s films for the rest of the schedule, with most prime-time films fonly from the '90s and today. I'm appaled at this owner of this network as the channel name is supposed to appeal to people OVER 40 (This is not Gen X's/Y's type of channel, and most people from Gen Y are backlashing against television (besides sports and reality TV) in general. It's another sad casualty in TV; you're better off going to your local library branch and renting DVD's. Probably the only things on TV I enjoy these days are the XM/Sirius music channels, the sports channels, Game Show Network, and VH1 Classic. The digital transition is happening at a BAD time; I just can't stand most of the "call toll-free" commercials too! 

AMC sucks now. I don't even bother going to that network anymore. If I want to watch an old film I go straight to TCM.

Written By: star500 on 01/18/09 at 8:02 pm

AMC sucks now. I don't even bother going to that network anymore. If I want to watch an old film I go straight to TCM.

And you know what's really cool about TCM? You can request a movie...and chances are, they will play it! My mom just recently requested the movie Susan Slade with Connie Stevens and Troy Donahue and it played on TCM earlier this month!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/09 at 12:49 am

Whatsa matter, don't you like John "Duke" Wayne?  You're telling me you got something better to do on a Saturday afternoon?  Ahnold not classic enough for you?  You some kind girly-man?

It's better than TNT & TBS where every other movie has the word "wedding" in the title!

Hey, the History channel doesn't show much history.  You gotta make a buck out there and that means selling the viewers what they wanna see:  CRAP!!!

:P

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/22/09 at 6:32 am

Well I wouldn't say it's a generational thing, more like a money thing. The problem with these specialty channels is that they sellout their original mission and becomes a weird general entertainment venue. I believe I posted about a while ago. Here are a few channels that have "mutated"

FX- Used to show old Fox owned programs- now a Showtime wannabee
Headline News- A useful channel that had an entire news show every 1\2 hour. Now it's trying to be a 3rd rate CNN
AMC- Classic oldies- Another Showtime wannabee
History- Although still plays History related shows, likes to dabble in the supernatural. While I like these programs, should they really be there?

And the big Daddy- MTV: Has gone from featuring the latest in music videos to solid Pop culture. 

Don't forget Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite! Nick has gone from entertaining, funny shows for children with a WIDE VARIETY to the same episodes of Drake and Josh (on 4 hours every weekday, considered a "marathon" back in the '90s) every other week! Nick at Nite has gone from '50s-early '70s programs with a WIDE VARIETY to the '90s now with Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, Family Matters and even the '00s show George Lopez!

And the technology advances in films of the last 20 years have even made '90s movies seem "old"! Today's movies are more about image rather than plot! Too many people under 30 don't understand the REAL movies!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/09 at 1:31 pm

AMC went downhill A LONG time ago. At first, they used to show old B&W films without commercials and such and it was great. Then, they started having commercials & showing more later films. There was one that they showed that I recorded-Raggedy Man (with Sissy Spacek). Half way through the movie, they had a "commercial break" so I stopped the recording. Then they started to show a short film on the history of the bikini. Ok, that was interesting but WHERE WAS THE END OF THE MOVIE??!!! After this 15 minute film was over, THEN they showed the end of the movie. WTF??? Ok, it could have been just an oops but I believe that was the last time I watched AMC.

Like everyone has already said, TCM is SOOOO much better. I sincerely hope they don't change their format.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/09 at 6:12 pm

TCM killed AMC!

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/25/09 at 12:47 pm

The slogan for AMC is now  - THE FUTURE of CLASSIC :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

I loved watching AMC in the late 80's early 90's. 

I love movies with Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Jimmy Stewart (not westerns), Robert Mitchum, Marylin Monroe, Doris Day, Maureen O'Hara, Lauren Bacall, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Cary Grant, and so on ...............

I love classic movies!!!!!

Once AMC got the host Nick Clooney , and I do not remember the formers name - older gentleman with glasses; AMC went down hill, commercials in movies, they started playing Wolfen, and Silver Bullet and other newer movies, etc.....

I miss the classic classics, even TMC does not offer as much of a showing of classics as I was once able to watch :(

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/09 at 2:13 pm

The slogan for AMC is now  - THE FUTURE of CLASSIC :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

I loved watching AMC in the late 80's early 90's. 

I love movies with Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Jimmy Stewart (not westerns), Robert Mitchum, Marylin Monroe, Doris Day, Maureen O'Hara, Lauren Bacall, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Cary Grant, and so on ...............

I love classic movies!!!!!

Once AMC got the host Nick Clooney , and I do not remember the formers name - older gentleman with glasses; AMC went down hill, commercials in movies, they started playing Wolfen, and Silver Bullet and other newer movies, etc.....

I miss the classic classics, even TMC does not offer as much of a showing of classics as I was once able to watch :(

It seems that every Cable station is doing the same concept.

The Disney Channel doesn't play the older cartoons, Toon Disney is now aimed toward teen boys, Nickelodeon doesn't aim toward the first generation who watched that station, Cartoon Network removed the older shows and put them on Boomerang, Boomerang is squeezing-out their older shows for newer ones, ABC Family is okay but never had the time to make it enjoyable, TV Land kicked-out most of their older shows, AMC Plays newer movies, TCM dumped some of their older flicks, MTV stopped playing Music Videos, VH1 has done the same thing, and I could go on, but what we should do is save our stations!

Check for new replies or respond here...