inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bette Davis--Sex Symbol?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/10/09 at 11:47 pm

Hi Y'all!

As many of you know, I am a great fan of older films and the old film stars, but one star I never quite understood was Bette Davis. Now don't get me wrong, she is a wonderful actress and absolutely riveting on a screen, but I've heard her referred to as a sex symbol and darned if I just don't see it. I just see an average looking woman. Not ugly, but not anything that would make my jaw sag the ground either. I always hear about the "Bette Davis Eyes" and even have a song by the same name. She had big eyes. Nothing to swoon over to me again.

I just don't understand. Will someone kindly explain her alleged sec appeal to me? Is it really there or just the figment of the imagination of a person swimming at the bottom of a pool of bootleg rum? (She did come to stardom during Prohibition)  ::)

Thank you.

Subject: Re: Bette Davis--Sex Symbol?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 6:19 am

Her eyes looked right through you, that was the meaning of Bette Davis Eyes, not the eyes, but the look. 

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_03/BetteD_468x654.jpg

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/09 at 10:13 am

Her sex appeal was in the fact that she didn't take sh*t from anybody and was totally her own woman.  Was she gorgeous?  Not in the conventional sense, but she could make you think so.  And Danoota is right, her eyes just pierced right through you.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/11/09 at 3:12 pm

Gosh, I keep forgetting that at one point in time Bette was a young woman. Whenever I think of her, I remember her older like in Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (which scared me stupid)

She was beautiful. Gosh.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 3:48 pm

She's got Bette Davis Eyes

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/09 at 3:59 pm

Gosh, I keep forgetting that at one point in time Bette was a young woman. Whenever I think of her, I remember her older like in Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (which scared me stupid)

She was beautiful. Gosh.

Two of the best movies.  I love "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" because you can FEEL how much her and Joan Crawford hated each other.  Awesome. ;D

I'm the nicest goddamn dame that ever lived.

Bette Davis

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/11/09 at 5:46 pm

^^She certainly ws a modest chick, wasn't she?^^  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...