inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You know you're old when you remember...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/09 at 2:32 pm

there's already a thread like this in the 70's, so I decided to do one for before the 70's  :)

YKYOWYR... .the tire bell     you never had to pump your own gas, all the stations were full service gas stations and when you rolled in, they had that "tire bell" that would alert the attendant that they had a customer. they'd check your oil, wash your windows, & check the air in your tires too  :o

Subject: Re: You know you're old when you remember...

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/06/09 at 2:34 pm

there's already a thread like this in the 70's, so I decided to do one for before the 70's  :)

YKYOWYR... .the tire bell     you never had to pump your own gas, all the stations were full service gas stations and when you rolled in, they had that "tire bell" that would alert the attendant that they had a customer. they'd check your oil, wash your windows, & check the air in your tires too  :o

Wow Mike, you are really old :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/09 at 2:35 pm

Wow Mike, you are really old :P
I'll have you know that I'm old enough to know the score ,& young enough to play the game

...wow, that's an old cliche'  ;D 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/09 at 3:26 pm

How about YKYOWYR party lines.

Cat

Written By: karen on 02/06/09 at 4:08 pm

Cat

That makes my husband old then! 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/09 at 4:21 pm

Cat
oh yeah, you could eavesdrop on other peoples telephone conversation

YKYOWYR...getting Polio vaccines via sugar cubes.  In my town, they held a vaccination day at the High School auditorium

Written By: karen on 02/06/09 at 6:18 pm

YKYOWYR...getting Polio vaccines via sugar cubes.  In my town, they held a vaccination day at the High School auditorium

Don't say this - I'm not old!  I can still recall getting my preschool Polio booster this way.  Or rather not getting the sugar cube because they'd run out by the time they got round to my appointment :\'(  First time I can recall eating a Cadbury's Creme Egg as well, my mum bought me one for a treat afterwards.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/06/09 at 7:48 pm

Mike, you're not that old, unless you were around when they invented the tire bell.  :D

I remember them from the early 80s... one gas station here still has them.

YKYOWYR a time when cable TV didn't exist, and every TV got its signal via rabbit ears or house-mounted antenna.

YKYOWYR rotary dial phones, and used them. You're extra old if you've ever had a 5 digit phone number.

signature banned as well

Written By: nally on 02/06/09 at 7:54 pm

Mike, you're not that old, unless you were around when they invented the tire bell.  :D

Yeah, I think I might actually remember some from that time as well...which would be my early childhood days.

YKYOWYR rotary dial phones, and used them. You're extra old if you've ever had a 5 digit phone number.

We still had one of those until retiring it in '90 or so. And by "5 digit phone number", does that refer to numbers that began with two letters followed by 5 digits, such as KL 5-3229?

Written By: karen on 02/06/09 at 8:12 pm

YKYOWYR a time when cable TV didn't exist, and every TV got its signal via rabbit ears or house-mounted antenna.

Still does in this house!

Rotary dial phones aren't before the 70s things.  Our first phone was a rotary dial and we didn't get it installed until 1981/82.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/06/09 at 8:42 pm

Rotary dial phones have been around for over 100 years. Even push button phones aren't new technology, but didn't become mainstream until the mid 80s. Touch tone service has been around for nearly 50 years as well.

Karen, you've probably more knowledge of this than I do: will rabbit ears/antenna work once everything goes digital? I know there is a converter box for TVs, but my understanding of that that is it only covers older model TVs, not the signal source. If you still get TV on rabbit ears, more power to you. Cable TV isn't worth the cost anyway.

Jeff, yeah, back before area codes there were local exchanges, and you had two letters plus a 5 digit number. Some places required dialing all 7, some only as few as four for local calls. Our "exchange" was CApital-9, so my first three numbers are 229.

I'll have to ask my aunt about phones in the 40s: my mother (6 years younger) seems to remember when ALL calls were operated assisted and the phone "number" was a letter and two digits.

Back to Karen: I know rotary phones aren't that old, but it does make me feel old when many kids of today have no clue that phones were ever anything but small touch tone models. Or that TVs were once huge, heavy CRTs with no color. "High Def" back in the day meant a well-adjusted set of rabbit ears.

signature banned as well

Written By: Red Ant on 02/06/09 at 8:48 pm

Cat

My mom was talking about those as well. She only had a two party line, with the next-door neighbors, who had a daughter her age. If my mom wanted to call her, she'd have to hang up as soon as she got a busy signal... unless the neighbors were on the phone, then she'd blurt out "have your daughter call me!" and hang up. lol

signature banned as well

Written By: karen on 02/06/09 at 8:55 pm

Karen, you've probably more knowledge of this than I do: will rabbit ears/antenna work once everything goes digital? I know there is a converter box for TVs, but my understanding of that that is it only covers older model TVs, not the signal source. If you still get TV on rabbit ears, more power to you. Cable TV isn't worth the cost anyway.

Our TV is a new one with an integrated digital tuner so it will accept the digital signal through the rabbit ears.  If you have an older analogue set you will need a converter box.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.html

I am considering getting a new antenna but will wait till after the switch over to see if our situation improves any.

Paul/Phil will know this.  When is the signal switiching in the UK?  I know it's sometime soon.  We bought our set top box a few years back now.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/06/09 at 9:01 pm

We still had one of those until retiring it in '90 or so. And by "5 digit phone number", does that refer to numbers that began with two letters followed by 5 digits, such as KL 5-3229?

My grandma used to tell everyone her number was Eldorado 9-**** until the day she died. ;D

Written By: karen on 02/06/09 at 9:13 pm

Similar things happened with phone numbers over the years in the UK.  Sometime in the early 70s 4 figure numbers in town I lived in were made 6 figure by adding  21 at the front.  My brother could only ever remember the last four numbers of my grandparents phone number I always had to remind him of the 21 at the beginning!

And Dai's mum until very recently used to answer the phone with the old exchange name and the last three numbers of her phone number.

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/09 at 10:46 pm

man.... I remember those... I was going to say the Pep Boys.....remember them?

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/09 at 11:01 pm

How about old state abbreviations? I was thinking about this at Christmas time....

Old Style Abbreviation  (I didn't list all the states..... )

Alabama Ala.

Arkansas         Ark.

Arizona Ariz.

California Calif.

Colorado Colo.

Connecticut  Conn.

Delaware Del.

Florida Fla.

Illinois Ill.

Indiana Ind.

Kansas Kan.

Massachusetts Mass.

Michigan            Mich.

Minnesota          Minn.

Mississippi                 Miss.

Montana Mont.

Nebraska Neb.

Nevada Nev.

]
Oklahoma Okla.

Oregon Ore.

Pennsylvania Pa.

Tennessee Tenn.

Virginia Va.

Washington Wash.

Wisconsin Wis.

West Virginia W.Va.

Wyoming Wyo

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/09 at 11:51 am

I remember going to the local Catholic school to get a German Measles (Rubella) shot. Standing in line with a lot of other kids & getting shot by a nun!  :o :o :o I think this was after my grandfather passed away because he was a doctor and gave us all of our shots-except that one.

signature banned as well

Yup-remember the rabbit ears and the rotary dial.

I also remember the 2 letters followed by the numbers. Ours was AX7-7235-or 297. (It is strange that this was a number I had until I was 8 years old and I STILL remember it.)

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/09 at 7:15 pm

I remember going to the local Catholic school to get a German Measles (Rubella) shot. Standing in line with a lot of other kids & getting shot by a nun!  :o :o :o I think this was after my grandfather passed away because he was a doctor and gave us all of our shots-except that one.

Yup-remember the rabbit ears and the rotary dial.

I also remember the 2 letters followed by the numbers. Ours was AX7-7235-or 297. (It is strange that this was a number I had until I was 8 years old and I STILL remember it.)

Cat

I remember getting the newly discovered polio vaccine and TV commerials promoting the vaccine, they would show kids in "Iron Lungs" scaring parents into getting the shots for their kids. 

Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/09 at 9:55 pm

My brother making me wear a big "I like Ike" button on my hat in kintergarden...but I am a Democrat!

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/09 at 11:30 pm

My brother making me wear a big "I like Ike" button on my hat in kintergarden...but I am a Democrat!

you were a democrat in kindergarten? I didn't even know what a democrat was when I was 5  ;D

Written By: hot_wax on 02/09/09 at 1:59 am

A horse drawn vegetable vendor used to ride into the neigborhood and sell his stuff, he would have bells on his cart and would jingle them to let the housewives know he was here. He'd put a feed bag over the horse's mouth while he took care of his customers and us kids would pet the horse and the old man would give us a piece of fruit. Sometimes the horse would take a dump and the old man would clean it up and then the neigborhood dogs would roll around on the dump spot, I guess it killed their fleas.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/09 at 11:26 am

-Mail without zip codes.
-Mimeograph copies/machines in schools.
-There were only 4 t.v. stations (ABC-7, CBS-2, NBC-4, & PBS-13)-unless you lived in the NYC area and then we also had WNEW (Channel 5), WOR (Channel 9), & WPIX (Channel 11).
-Weekly t.v. shows were live.
-T.V. stations went off the air at midnight and came on the air at 6 a.m.
-"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 02/09/09 at 6:14 pm

-Mail without zip codes.
-There were only 4 t.v. stations (ABC-7, CBS-2, NBC-4, & PBS-13)-unless you lived in the NYC area and then we also had WNEW (Channel 5), WOR (Channel 9), & WPIX (Channel 11).
-Weekly t.v. shows were live.
-T.V. stations went off the air at midnight and came on the air at 6 a.m.
-"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Cat

Hi Cat, your TV shows brought back old memories how the radio was still the main stream entertaiment for the masses in the early 50's. My mom had the radio on all day long for music and the evening serial shows which one of those you mentioned. Yes, most were radio shows before they were adapted to TV. We had a TV since 1950 but not to many shows where broardcasted then and the radio was still the main sorce of everyday intertainment. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/09/09 at 11:07 pm

Cat

oh they smelled so good and were such a lovely shade of  purple  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/09 at 6:49 pm

Either purple or blue.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 7:07 pm

Either purple or blue.

Cat

semantics...it was a purplish blue  ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 02/11/09 at 7:51 pm

semantics...it was a purplish blue  ;)

blurplish??

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 7:55 pm

blurplish??

exactly!

Written By: Frank on 02/11/09 at 11:26 pm

not only did I have singles (45's) I also had records at 78 speed as a kid.
Then a friend of mine got this 8 track tape stuff, what amazing technology that was!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/09 at 12:01 pm

YKYAOWYR February having TWO holidays-Lincoln's Birthday on the 12th & Washington's Birthday on the 22nd (and it didn't matter what day it fell on-THAT was the day we had off-not the Monday closest to it).

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 12:30 pm

YKYAOWYR February having TWO holidays-Lincoln's Birthday on the 12th & Washington's Birthday on the 22nd (and it didn't matter what day it fell on-THAT was the day we had off-not the Monday closest to it).

Cat
I remember that. those were the good ol' days.

YKYAOWYR...air raid sirens going off during the 60's just to test them. I think the one in our town sounded off at 5pm and i can't remember what year they stopped running it.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/17/09 at 9:18 pm

I remember that. those were the good ol' days.

YKYAOWYR...air raid sirens going off during the 60's just to test them. I think the one in our town sounded off at 5pm and i can't remember what year they stopped running it.

Our sirens were at 6PM sharp, it went on until the mid 70's.

On the same note, though it was real popular before my time, I remember watching the the Duck And Cover film with the
turtle. Tou had to sing the Duck and Cover song.  ;D

There was a turtle by the name of Bert
and Bert the turtle was very alert;
when danger threatened him he never got hurt
he knew just what to do...
He ducked!
And covered!
Ducked!
And covered! He did what we all must learn to do
You, And you, And you And you!
Duck, and cover!'

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 9:42 pm

Our sirens were at 6PM sharp, it went on until the mid 70's.

On the same note, though it was real popular before my time, I remember watching the the Duck And Cover film with the
turtle. Tou had to sing the Duck and Cover song.  ;D

There was a turtle by the name of Bert
and Bert the turtle was very alert;
when danger threatened him he never got hurt
he knew just what to do...
He ducked!
And covered!
Ducked!
And covered! He did what we all must learn to do
You, And you, And you And you!
Duck, and cover!'

funny how they thought the duck and cover would protect us from an atomic explosion

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/09 at 1:32 pm

funny how they thought the duck and cover would protect us from an atomic explosion

Yup-you put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good-bye.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 02/18/09 at 3:25 pm

Yup-you put your head between your knees and kiss your ass good-bye.

Cat

HA! HA! HA! HA!

Written By: hot_wax on 02/18/09 at 3:34 pm

When the Sunday Blue Laws were enforced with fines.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/18/09 at 7:18 pm

I should have thought of this yesterday, like I said it was a bit before my time but in grade school in the 60's
I did see this video more than once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixy5FBLnh7o

We also held a drill once a year where we all lined up and went to the fallout shelter,
which was nothing more than the basement of the public school.

Written By: hot_wax on 02/19/09 at 9:43 pm

I should have thought of this yesterday, like I said it was a bit before my time but in grade school in the 60's
I did see this video more than once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixy5FBLnh7o

We also held a drill once a year where we all lined up and went to the fallout shelter,
which was nothing more than the basement of the public school.

Loki 13, I don't remember that exact duck and cover film, there were many very similar ones like that, the one that scared that crap out of me was the one that melted the faces off of dummy kids playing in there back yard and then their house was blown away in a second, right then and there I knew if we were that close to see that flash we wouldn't live 3 seconds after it, and living only 20 miles from New York City we'd have the same chance as a snow ball in hell that we'd live long enough to hit the floor to duck and cover...only a pile of ashes with on top of my PF Flyer's.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/19/09 at 11:36 pm

cigarette commercials on tv like The Flintstones cartoon, here's Fred & Barney enjoying a smoke  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvHiiWFbBU

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 9:21 pm

cigarette commercials on tv like The Flintstones cartoon, here's Fred & Barney enjoying a smoke  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvHiiWFbBU

good one!

Written By: mooster on 02/20/09 at 9:49 pm

School milk  8-P

Written By: hot_wax on 02/20/09 at 11:13 pm

Those cigarette companies were really priming the pump to get a new generation of cancer victims by advertising an cigarettes on a kids tv program, and we accepted this as common stuff...they succeeded to get me to smoke at 13. If not anything else, President Nixon did a great thing to ban cigarette advertising on TV in the early 70's. My kids never smoked maybe because they didn't see cigarettes advertised on their cartoon shows like we did as kids.

Written By: hot_wax on 02/20/09 at 11:29 pm

Nash Ramblers
Studebakers
DeSotos
Hudsons
Buicks with real holes

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/20/09 at 11:37 pm

Those cigarette companies were really priming the pump to get a new generation of cancer victims by advertising an cigarettes on a kids tv program, and we accepted this as common stuff...they succeeded to get me to smoke at 13. If not anything else, President Nixon did a great thing to ban cigarette advertising on TV in the early 70's. My kids never smoked maybe because they didn't see cigarettes advertised on their cartoon shows like we did as kids.
tried my first smoke at 8, and like you, at 13 started smoking & smoked Marlboros.  but I'm not sure the commercials & ads influenced me as much as it was that I hung out guys a few years older who smoked and they were cool and I wanted to be cool too  8) 

Written By: hot_wax on 02/20/09 at 11:41 pm

tried my first smoke at 8, and like you, at 13 started smoking & smoked Marlboros.  but I'm not sure the commercials & ads influenced me as much as it was that I hung out guys a few years older who smoked and they were cool and I wanted to be cool too   8)  

yeah! you know that's why we did it..to be cool, mine were Lucky's.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 12:11 am

yeah! you know that's why we did it..to be cool, mine were Lucky's.
yikes, the non-filtered one's  :o  those were heavy duty. I smoked all those too. and Pall Mall and I remember stealing my dad's nasty cigs, Salem's ughh  8-P    I quit smoking back in 1979

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/09 at 12:12 pm

tried my first smoke at 8, and like you, at 13 started smoking & smoked Marlboros.  but I'm not sure the commercials & ads influenced me as much as it was that I hung out guys a few years older who smoked and they were cool and I wanted to be cool too   8)   

I had my first cig at 12.  (Yeah, yeah, I know. I know  :-[ ) Quit at the age of 19 for 2 & 1/2 years-until I got drunk one night.  :-[  Now I have been cigarette-free for more than 16 months.  ;D ;D ;D  (Yeah, I'm bragging.  ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 02/21/09 at 12:47 pm

yikes, the non-filtered one's  :o  those were heavy duty. I smoked all those too. and Pall Mall and I remember stealing my dad's nasty cigs, Salem's ughh  8-P    I quit smoking back in 1979

You brought back a forgotten memory, my mom smoked Taringtons and I would ask her if I can put out her cigarettes under the kitchen sink faucet and she would give me her lite cigarette butts and told me to drown them, I'd carry them to the sink, but before I would drown it I would sneak a puff or two and feel really cool and grown up doing it and I was only around 5 years old at the time. She soon got wise and followed me to the sink and saw me trying to give my 3 year old sister a puff... oh! she whacked my ass pretty good with her wooden spoon that day, that was my last but it was also my first time I'd tried smoking.
My old man smoked Italian stogies, talk about ughh!

Written By: hot_wax on 02/21/09 at 1:10 pm

I had my first cig at 12.  (Yeah, yeah, I know. I know  :-[ ) Quit at the age of 19 for 2 & 1/2 years-until I got drunk one night.  :-[  Now I have been cigarette-free for more than 16 months.  ;D ;D ;D  (Yeah, I'm bragging.  ;D ;D)

Cat

Good for you!! Cat, it's never to late to stop. I finally got my wife to stop this new years day since she was a teenager, excluding her pregnancy days when she stopped for the nine months but slowly went back to them afterwards. I stopped when I was 26 after having pneumonia, at the time it was half my life I'd been smoking a pack a day, that was 35 years ago, but I do have my occasional cigar and Jack Daniel today.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 1:41 pm

I had my first cig at 12.  (Yeah, yeah, I know. I know  :-
You brought back a forgotten memory, my mom smoked Taringtons and I would ask her if I can put out her cigarettes under the kitchen sink faucet and she would give me her lite cigarette butts and told me to drown them, I'd carry them to the sink, but before I would drown it I would sneak a puff or two and feel really cool and grown up doing it and I was only around 5 years old at the time. She soon got wise and followed me to the sink and saw me trying to give my 3 year old sister a puff... oh! she whacked my ass pretty good with her wooden spoon that day, that was my last but it was also my first time I'd tried smoking.
My old man smoked Italian stogies, talk about ughh!
5 years old  :o  you were a little maniac hot_wax  :o  but I guess a lot of us baby boomers all have similar stories.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/09 at 2:08 pm

Cat was a bad girl at 12  ;D   but as for being free from the bondage of smoking for 16 months. way to go, we're all very proud of you.
5 years old  :o  you were a little maniac hot_wax  :o   but I guess a lot of us baby boomers all have similar stories.

The funny thing neither of my parents smoked. It was my sister who gave me my first cig. We were the only two in the family who ever really smoked. She quit about 10 years ago or so. Another sister smoked for a couple of years but not for as long as the two of us did.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/09 at 2:09 pm

The funny thing neither of my parents smoked. It was my sister who gave me my first cig. We were the only two in the family who ever really smoked. She quit about 10 years ago or so. Another sister smoked for a couple of years but not for as long as the two of us did.

Cat
that's a trip that neither parent smoked. both of mine did, my mom only for a short while. your lungs are getting nice and clean now

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/09 at 3:07 pm

that's a trip that neither parent smoked. both of mine did, my mom only for a short while. your lungs are getting nice and clean now

I just went to the Q net (where I haven't been in a while) and realize that I just past another milestone-500 DAYS!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 3:10 pm

I just went to the Q net (where I haven't been in a while) and realize that I just past another milestone-500 DAYS!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

Cat

YAY you and yay for anything that's called 'Q'  ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 02/21/09 at 8:35 pm

Cat

You go girl!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/09 at 11:24 am

YKYAOWYR TWA, Pan Am, Allegheny Airlines, & Braniff.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 03/02/09 at 1:48 pm

YKYAOWYR TWA, Pan Am, Allegheny Airlines, & Braniff.

Cat

Cat, you can add National, Tiger Airlines to your list.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/02/09 at 1:54 pm

The Army "Draft" was part of our life's journey. Enlist or be drafted...or jail!

Written By: hot_wax on 03/03/09 at 1:25 am

I just had a big laugh and then remembered this reply and had to share it with you. I'm watching "Fast times at Ridgemont High" right now, and in the scene where after Mr. Hand, the history teacher, throws Specolli out of his classroom for being late, passes out sheets of paper to the rest of the class with their homework assignments on it, and in unison, they all picked the sheets of paper put it to their noses and took a deep sniff of it, and everyone rolled their eyes with delight from the aroma of the mimeograph ink...funny stuff, but true to life.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/03/09 at 2:22 pm

more tobacco commercials:  "Cigars? Cigarettes? Tiparillos?"

Written By: karen on 03/03/09 at 4:08 pm

"Happiness... is a cigar called Hamlet. The mild cigar from Benson and Hedges"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/09 at 4:28 pm

I just had a big laugh and then remembered this reply and had to share it with you. I'm watching "Fast times at Ridgemont High" right now, and in the scene where after Mr. Hand, the history teacher, throws Specolli out of his classroom for being late, passes out sheets of paper to the rest of the class with their homework assignments on it, and in unison, they all picked the sheets of paper put it to their noses and took a deep sniff of it, and everyone rolled their eyes with delight from the aroma of the mimeograph ink...funny stuff, but true to life.

I had recently watched that movie which is why I recalled it and posted about it.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/09 at 6:15 pm

more tobacco commercials:  "Cigars? Cigarettes? Tiparillos?"

"Is polite for a gentleman to offer a lady a Tiarillo?"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/05/09 at 1:05 am

"Is polite for a gentleman to offer a lady a Tiarillo?"

it depends on who the lady is? 
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020tUea9J6nAAbm6jzbkF/SIG=12m8pcf3l/EXP=1236323028/**http%3A//www.foxnews.com/images/225405/0_61_320_clinton_lewinsky.jpg

Written By: Davester on 03/05/09 at 7:38 am

TV end of broadcast day.  Sign-off...

Programming will resume at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  Play national anthem, cut to snow.  Do television stations sign-off anymore..?

PS - totally the wrong place for this post... :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/05/09 at 11:00 am

Programming will resume at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  Play national anthem, cut to snow.  Do television stations sign-off anymore..?

I think that this is the right place for the post

Written By: hot_wax on 03/05/09 at 2:27 pm

it depends on who the lady is? 
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020tUea9J6nAAbm6jzbkF/SIG=12m8pcf3l/EXP=1236323028/**http%3A//www.foxnews.com/images/225405/0_61_320_clinton_lewinsky.jpg

HA! HA! HA!...

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:43 pm

some networks sign off once a week for about an hour or two... Nick, TV Land, and the premium channels like HBO STARZ & Skinamax.... its annoying when they do...

Written By: Paul on 03/05/09 at 2:55 pm

Do television stations sign-off anymore..?

In this day and age of round-the-clock broadcasting, it's very rare...

Heh! Back in the day, the announcer would always gently remind us to 'turn off your TV and remove the plug from the socket'...these being the days when TVs were notoriously unstable creatures and the high voltages involved could easily start an electrical fire!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/09 at 5:44 pm

I rue the day when TV networks realized the didn't have to show test patterns when some schzmuck hocking steak knives would buy the 3:00 to 6:00 block.

Written By: Davester on 03/06/09 at 1:28 am

I think that this is the right place for the post

Cool!  I thought this was the '70s section...

In this day and age of round-the-clock broadcasting, it's very rare...

Heh! Back in the day, the announcer would always gently remind us to 'turn off your TV and remove the plug from the socket'...these being the days when TVs were notoriously unstable creatures and the high voltages involved could easily start an electrical fire!

No such friendly reminders on this side.  Toaster maybe, TV, no...

Infomercials definately had an entertainment value.  Never purchased a Ron Popeil but he was fun to watch in the same way televangelists are fun to watch.  God is in the pasta maker... :P

Written By: Frank on 03/07/09 at 12:39 am

Right place  :)

And the big Indian head would be on the screen (kinda like the NHL Chicago Black Hawks logo)

Written By: hot_wax on 03/13/09 at 9:19 pm

I remember trying to make my JC Higgins English racer bicycle sound like Harley Davidson motorcycle by  putting my Mickey Mantle rookie baseball cards into my wheel spokes...cool idea then, 8) but it was a stupid stupid stupid idea! $$$ :\'(

Written By: Brigitte on 03/14/09 at 11:48 am

I remember trying to make my JC Higgins English racer bicycle sound like Harley Davidson motorcycle by  putting my Mickey Mantle rookie baseball cards into my wheel spokes...cool idea then, 8) but it was a stupid stupid stupid idea! $$$ :\'(

We used old cigarette packs!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/09 at 6:23 pm

But that's why Mickey Mantle rookie cards are worth something...because kids like you put 'em in their bicycle spokes!  It's like the first-run Star Wars figures.  If I only had my original Boba Fett in the Kenner package, I coulda paid off my college loans!  But noooo....that Boba Fett took million beat downs from Han Solo, and then got melted into a toxic blue puddle with some lighter fluid when I was 13...and that was that!
:\'(

Written By: hot_wax on 03/17/09 at 9:07 pm

But that's why Mickey Mantle rookie cards are worth something...because kids like you put 'em in their bicycle spokes!  It's like the first-run Star Wars figures.  If I only had my original Boba Fett in the Kenner package, I coulda paid off my college loans!  But noooo....that Boba Fett took million beat downs from Han Solo, and then got melted into a toxic blue puddle with some lighter fluid when I was 13...and that was that!

I feel your pain!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/24/09 at 5:07 pm

YKYOWYR...square dancing in P.E.  when I was in 5th grade for Physical Education, instead of playing football or basketball, we combined with the girls and did square dancing

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 5:09 pm

YKYOWYR...square dancing in P.E.  when I was in 5th grade for Physical Education, instead of playing football or basketball, we combined with the girls and did square dancing
I had only sport and exercises in my P.E. at school.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/24/09 at 5:12 pm

I had only sport and exercises in my P.E. at school.
that's what we had too except this one year, some teacher got a little bit too creative but it was fun, unless you got stuck dancing with a nerd  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 5:15 pm

that's what we had too except this one year, some teacher got a little bit too creative but it was fun, unless you got stuck dancing with a nerd  :D
Dancing was never thought of at my school.

Written By: Frank on 03/25/09 at 12:56 am

Ah, wish I had a Mickey Mantle rookie card...The best I have is Nolan Ryan's, Robin Yount's, Guy Lafleur's and a 2nd year Bobby Orr card.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/26/09 at 12:01 am

Ah, wish I had a Mickey Mantle rookie card...The best I have is Nolan Ryan's, Robin Yount's, Guy Lafleur's and a 2nd year Bobby Orr card.

What ever you do...DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR BICYCLE SPOKES!!!

Written By: Davester on 03/26/09 at 12:48 am

Square dancing in PE, I hated that.  I would feign illness to get out of it...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/09 at 12:51 am

to think that those packs of Baseball cards probably only cost .05 cents a pack and the gum was dang good  :)

Square dancing in PE, I hated that.  I would feign illness to get out of it...
and they fell for your trickery  ???  thank goodness it wasn't just me that had to endure this experience. I danced because I hoped to end up with a fox  ::)

check out the clip of The Wonder Years  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFH1C0VEEQ

Written By: Frank on 03/26/09 at 1:30 am

to think that those packs of Baseball cards probably only cost .05 cents a pack and the gum was dang good  :) ]

I used to buy them at 10 cents a pack, and the gum was quite good. I had a friend who bought the packs just to get the gum and he'd throw away the cards.  :o
The gum tasted like a combination between Dubble Bubble gum and Colgate toothpaste..at least to me it did.

Written By: anabel on 03/27/09 at 8:29 am

Cat

OMG!  I was just thinking of that last night for some reason when Matthew and I were finishing his Math!  I looked them up because I remembered them being called "Dittoes".  Here's what I found.....this will SO bring it back even more to any of you who vaguely remember them....

Taken from      http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_89955.asp

"The purple color of the text of the document jogged my memory. The pages had been printed on a ditto machine. I had not seen the output from one of those types of printers since the day when I wore a younger man’s clothes."

"The ditto machine used no ink. The user typed, wrote, or drew on a ditto master sheet which was backed by a second sheet of paper coated with a dye-impregnated, waxy substance. The inscribed image appeared on the back of the ditto sheet in reverse. The ditto machine used an alcohol-based fluid to dissolve some of the dye in the document, and transferred the image to the copy paper"

"Though other colors of ditto sheets were available, purple was commonly used. In elementary school, I remember that the teacher would distribute drawing sheets for us to color. The sheets had been through the ditto machine, which gave purple outlines to the drawings of fruit, animals (mostly lions and tigers and bears), letters, numbers, and everything else that we were asked to stay within the lines while we colored."

"The output of the ditto machine had a special aroma. Students could tell when a class assignment was hot out of the machine by the strength of the odor of the pages. The smell came from the ditto machine’s duplicating fluid, a mix of methanol and isopropanol."

I totally remember huffing that scent!  That explains a lot now, doesn't it?  :D

Written By: nally on 03/27/09 at 1:40 pm

A lot of tv stations used to do that...now I think they all run 24/7, and some of them just fill the graveyard shift hours (1 to 5 a.m. or so) with infomercials.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/09 at 2:29 pm

Not just square dancing but all sorts of different dances (over the years). One year we were taught the Alley Cat which (believe it or not) I still remember. Last Oct. we went to a party to celebrate my niece's civil union and I was showing everyone how to do the Alley Cat. I also recall in high school, we were learning a dance to Le Freak by Chic.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/27/09 at 3:01 pm

Not just square dancing but all sorts of different dances (over the years). One year we were taught the Alley Cat which (believe it or not) I still remember. Last Oct. we went to a party to celebrate my niece's civil union and I was showing everyone how to do the Alley Cat. I also recall in high school, we were learning a dance to Le Freak by Chic.

Cat
I'm gonna have to look up the Alley Cat because I can't remember it at all

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/09 at 12:51 pm

I'm gonna have to look up the Alley Cat because I can't remember it at all

I couldn't find ONE video which would give you a good glimpse of it. Anyway, here is the actual dance (with instruction in case you want to learn).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pd-XPKqfs

Here is the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV21W0Ustkw&feature=related

Don't watch this last video. Whoever posted this-their house is a mess. lol (But, they are doing the dance right. lol)

Cat

Written By: Womble on 03/30/09 at 9:35 am

I remember the test pattern with the Native American Warrior wearing a Feathered headress accompanied by a Steady beep. This would end broadcasting.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/09 at 11:31 am

YKYOWYR elementary school parties that would end with a sugar buzz.  Hawaiian punch, iced cup cakes, pretzels and candy.  I guess the pretzels were to make it seem healthy.  Try that in schools now a days parents would throw a fit.

Written By: karen on 03/30/09 at 11:38 am

I remember the test pattern with the Native American Warrior wearing a Feathered headress accompanied by a Steady beep. This would end broadcasting.

This was the one shown on the BBC

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/television/bbc-f1997.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 12:02 pm

..and the girl is a daughter of a BBC Producer.

Written By: Womble on 03/30/09 at 12:21 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 12:24 pm

It was accompanied by musak.

And I believe there are collectors of that musak.

Written By: karen on 03/30/09 at 12:25 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

off-topic but I'm intrigued by your user name.  I didn't know Wombles made it outside the UK  :-\\

Written By: Bobo on 03/30/09 at 12:27 pm

I saw the Test Card on BBC 2 a couple of weeks ago, they must have been testing local transmitters or something - though for as long as I remember, the Test Card was accompanied by a continuous tone, whereas Pages from Ceefax always was accompanied by muzak.

I composed some muzak once for an assignment, and it was very good fun. Just gotta create the most rambling thing you can possibly think of.. and then reorder the notes so it all makes sense!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 12:41 pm

I composed some muzak once for an assignment, and it was very good fun. Just gotta create the most rambling thing you can possibly think of.. and then reorder the notes so it all makes sense!
...and people got paid for it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/09 at 1:57 pm

YKYAOWYR Kukla, Fran, & Ollie.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/09 at 2:04 pm

The Test Card Gallery

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 2:17 am

YKYOWYR elementary school parties that would end with a sugar buzz.  Hawaiian punch, iced cup cakes, pretzels and candy.  I guess the pretzels were to make it seem healthy.  Try that in schools now a days parents would throw a fit.

Oh yeah!  The iced cupcakes!  I still covet those when I walk past the supermarket bakery.  Chocolate icing.  Pink icing.  Orange icing.  Even blue icing!
One voice says, "Pssst...you're a grownup now.  You can just buy those and no one can say boo about it; heck, buy two trays, no one's gonna care!"
Another voice says, "If you buy those, you'll chow down on 'em 'til you barf!  You haven't learned a damned thing since you were seven, so just leave 'em on the shelf!"
"But I...I just thought I'd have one or two..."
"Uh-uh, that's not how you operate; now you came in here to get a loaf of bread and bottle of OJ, so hop to it!"
"Yazza boss."

(That's what they call the id and the superego)
:P

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 2:26 am

Hawaiian Punch!  I miss those adds.
"You get 7 kinds of fruit in Hawaiian Punch,  7 kinds of fruit in Hawaiian Punch. Hawaiian Punch is
made with seven kinds of fruit for a one-of-a-kind fruit taste"

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/31/09 at 11:26 am

Oh yeah!  The iced cupcakes!  I still covet those when I walk past the supermarket bakery.  Chocolate icing.  Pink icing.  Orange icing.  Even blue icing!
One voice says, "Pssst...you're a grownup now.  You can just buy those and no one can say boo about it; heck, buy two trays, no one's gonna care!"
Another voice says, "If you buy those, you'll chow down on 'em 'til you barf!  You haven't learned a damned thing since you were seven, so just leave 'em on the shelf!"
"But I...I just thought I'd have one or two..."
"Uh-uh, that's not how you operate; now you came in here to get a loaf of bread and bottle of OJ, so hop to it!"
"Yazza boss."

(That's what they call the id and the superego)

I know, I just stare and kind of whimper.  One of these days I'm going to have a well planned binge.  No more than five a day.

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:04 pm

YKYAOWYR Kukla, Fran, & Ollie.

Cat

Is that the comedy troupe Harvey as with before teaming up with Laurel?  :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/31/09 at 10:09 pm

YKYOWYR...having to open your can of soda/pop with a can opener
http://d2q78vesc84xfw.cloudfront.net/OpenerTravcoSet9.4-19.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:14 pm

dude that thing is so rusty it could kill you!  BTW U still have one

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:17 pm

and... you know you're really old when you remember this can opener

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ARV81CAGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I only know about it because its what my dad used... I could never make it work

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/31/09 at 10:18 pm

dude that thing is so rusty it could kill you!   BTW U still have one
oh yeah, we have one in the drawer. I use it seldomly, but it works.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ARV81CAGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I had one long ago pre-Lady Di, and I had a hell of a time using it.

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:21 pm

oh yeah, we have one in the drawer. I use it seldomly, but it works.

Ha ha.... that was actually supposed to read BTW I still have one... why'd they put the U and the I so close to each other?

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:23 pm

Oh I did this one with my dad the other day... you know you're old when

you think of QWERTY as ASDF keys   ;D

I said qwerty to my dad and he said what? What the hell  is a Qwerty  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/31/09 at 10:28 pm

Oh I did this one with my dad the other day... you know you're old when

you think of QWERTY as ASDF keys   ;D

I said qwerty to my dad and he said what? What the hell  is a Qwerty  ;D
I'm with your dad on this one

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/09 at 10:29 pm

I'm with your dad on this one

yer old  :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/31/09 at 10:30 pm

yer old  :P
I am not... I'm ancient  8)

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 11:46 pm

That can opener looks like to one we had...and still have...and it also still works

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/01/09 at 1:24 am

That can opener looks like to one we had...and still have...and it also still works
I just looked in our drawer and we still have one too, much shinier than the old one in the pic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:35 am

Those were the days my friend.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/01/09 at 1:40 am

they worked great  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:42 am

they worked great   :)
Scarring the skin tissue on your fingers?

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:43 am

We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose. We'd fight and never lose.

- Milk delivered to your door
- 7 Cent stamps (in Canada)
- 5 cents for a chocolate bar, or popcicle, or a bag of chips

For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:45 am

We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose. We'd fight and never lose.

- Milk delivered to your door

I saw a milkman with his milk float the other day and my first response was "Now that is a rare sight these days!"

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:47 am

I saw a milkman with his milk float the other day and my first response was "Now that is a rare sight these days!"

I don't think I've seen a milkman here since...since...1971? 1972? (that's a guess)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:48 am

I don't think I've seen a milkman here since...since...1971? 1972? (that's a guess)
A milkman in 1971, was it Ernie?

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:54 am

A milkman in 1971, was it Ernie?

No..and he didn't look like Benny Hill either, more like a guitarist from CCR (long hair, long mustache) ..he was our milkman for years in Canada

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:59 am

No..and he didn't look like Benny Hill either, more like a guitarist from CCR (long hair, long mustache) ..he was our milkman for years in Canada
I was thinking of taking a picture of that milkman but we were in the car and could not stop.

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 2:10 am

I was thinking of taking a picture of that milkman but we were in the car and could not stop.

Taking a pic of Ernie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 2:11 am

Taking a pic of Ernie?
No, of the milkman I saw last Saturday in Hampstead.

Written By: hot_wax on 04/01/09 at 2:14 am

Diaper service at your home. A truck would come and pick up dirty diapers and deliver clean ones a couple times a week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 2:15 am

Taking a pic of Ernie?
You are thinking of this Ernie?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/m_9fc88b795d964c1b8307de50d004ed45.jpg

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 2:16 am

No, of the milkman I saw last Saturday in Hampstead.

Ahh..didn't catch that.  I better go to sleep...maybe..but at least it's April 1st here now. (12:13AM)
Hope I don't dream of milkmen..unless it's that Monty Python sketch with Michael Palin as the milkman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 2:17 am

Ahh..didn't catch that.  I better go to sleep...maybe..but at least it's April 1st here now. (12:13AM)
Hope I don't dream of milkmen..unless it's that Monty Python sketch with Michael Palin as the milkman.
A classic sketch, I remember seeing on its first broadcast.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 2:18 am

Taking a pic of Ernie?
BTW, Benny Hill at a famous London location.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/bennyhillthebestoffronttu8.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/01/09 at 2:50 am

BTW, Benny Hill at a famous London location.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/bennyhillthebestoffronttu8.jpg
one of the best he was.  :)  that's a cool pic of him on Abbey Road

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 2:52 am

one of the best he was.  :)  that's a cool pic of him on Abbey Road
I have recently seen a programme on Benny Hill's life on tv and the memories of his sketches all came flooding back.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/01/09 at 2:52 am

I have recently seen a programme on Benny Hill's life on tv and the memories of his sketches all came flooding back.
there's a bunch on Youtube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 3:15 am

there's a bunch on Youtube.
On Monday I saw two programmes on Kenneth Williams and Frankie Howard.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/09 at 11:54 am

Still have a bunch of these.

I was given those when I was in the AF with my C-Rations.

YKYAOWYR C-Rations (as opposed to MREs  ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 11:56 am

Cat
Sell 'em on ebay!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/09 at 11:58 am

Sell 'em on ebay!

Believe it or not I still use them. I HATE twistoffs and can never really get it, so I use the bottle opener.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/01/09 at 11:53 pm

I was given those when I was in the AF with my C-Rations.

YKYAOWYR C-Rations (as opposed to MREs  ;D ;D ;D )

Cat
it's a classic kitchen gadget

Written By: Womble on 04/04/09 at 7:13 pm

off-topic but I'm intrigued by your user name.  I didn't know Wombles made it outside the UK  :-\\

Wombles had a hint of recognition in the States circa 1974. Oddly enough only Wombles merchandise was available not the shows/fims. I had several pin-on buttons of the Wombles and a paperback novel of their adventures . Unfortunately the Wombles fad lasted about one year here but I'm still a fan.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/09 at 8:20 pm

When everything was glass...from pop bottles to peanut butter jars--it was all glass, no plastic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/09 at 8:26 pm

One of my favorite sketches too.  I always associated the band "The Dead Milkmen" with that. 

The milk delivery services really died out in the U.S. in the late '60s.  Apparently there was still a guy with a milk route in our town in the early '70s.  I later learned he was an acid burnout and the kids used to make fun of him.  Oh well.

Written By: karen on 04/04/09 at 9:48 pm

Wombles had a hint of recognition in the States circa 1974. Oddly enough only Wombles merchandise was available not the shows/fims. I had several pin-on buttons of the Wombles and a paperback novel of their adventures . Unfortunately the Wombles fad lasted about one year here but I'm still a fan.  :)

Thanks for the explanation.

I had a toy Madame Cholet as a child.  I loved the TV series (I wonder if they are out on DVD?)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/09 at 2:14 am

Thanks for the explanation.

I had a toy Madame Cholet as a child.  I loved the TV series (I wonder if they are out on DVD?)
Every time I hear the voice of Bernard Cribbens I think Wombles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/09 at 2:15 am

Yes, HMV has them in stock.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/11/09 at 3:32 pm

You know what, I might remember the tail end of when some stations were still doing that. Sometimes when I'd stay up on the weekends, I noticed VH1 called their overnight video blocks "All Nighter". If they were advertizing it that way, I'm guessing it was still something kinda new at the time. This was like 1992.

I also remember rotary phones in the 80s (my grandma on dad's side had one), but I don't know if that counts. It's not uncommon for people that age to still have older technology in their homes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 5:14 pm

You know what, I might remember the tail end of when some stations were still doing that. Sometimes when I'd stay up on the weekends, I noticed VH1 called their overnight video blocks "All Nighter". If they were advertizing it that way, I'm guessing it was still something kinda new at the time. This was like 1992.

I also remember rotary phones in the 80s (my grandma on dad's side had one), but I don't know if that counts. It's not uncommon for people that age to still have older technology in their homes.

Rotary phones were still around in the '80s but practically extinct by the '90s.  Last time I used one it was about 1997 and my car broke down outside this Armenian church.  I went in the church and asked to use the phone; they directed me to a rotary phone in the kitchen, and I thought, "Hey, wow, a rotary phone, I haven't used one of these in years!"  I haven't used one since either.

I think what really killed the rotary phone was the requirement of digital interface automated menus, voice mail, the Internet, and stuff like that.

Written By: Paul on 04/13/09 at 5:19 pm

I think what really killed the rotary phone was the requirement of digital interface automated menus, voice mail, the Internet, and stuff like that.

Actually, theyare still available from some specialised outlets (along with the dreaded 'trimphone', the epitome of 70s 'kitsch'!)

Some people still go for the 'retro' kick, so it's not been killed outright...just wounded somewhat!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/09 at 5:28 pm

Rotary phones were still around in the '80s but practically extinct by the '90s.  Last time I used one it was about 1997 and my car broke down outside this Armenian church.  I went in the church and asked to use the phone; they directed me to a rotary phone in the kitchen, and I thought, "Hey, wow, a rotary phone, I haven't used one of these in years!"  I haven't used one since either.

The rotary phone was already passé WAY before all the digital interface came into being.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/14/09 at 12:30 am

My mom still had a rotary phone, until I got rid of it in 2006

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/09 at 2:06 pm

My mom still had a rotary phone, until I got rid of it in 2006

So did you buy her a new one or did you leave old mom incommunicado? 

Written By: spankyd on 04/20/09 at 11:51 am

& gas was 33¢ a gallon!  & cigarettes were 33¢ a pack & the Marlboro Man told us they were cool!

Written By: hot_wax on 06/08/09 at 10:23 pm

You know when you're old when you remember why you walked into a room to get something!

Written By: Frank on 06/08/09 at 11:42 pm

So did you buy her a new one or did you leave old mom incommunicado? 

Got her a real phone, finally. She didn't want it, but I convinced her. Some old people resist change.

Written By: Womble on 06/25/09 at 8:58 pm

YKYOWYR Milk Vending Machines at Gas Stations and in the Lobbies or basements of Apartment buildings. They sold milk in cartons of various sizes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/09 at 9:06 pm

"Fill it up with regular."
"Fill it?"
"Fill it."

Written By: smittykins on 06/28/09 at 1:19 pm

YKYOWYR Milk Vending Machines at Gas Stations and in the Lobbies or basements of Apartment buildings. They sold milk in cartons of various sizes.

Cigarette vending machines.  Until New York's indoor smoking ban took effect a few years ago, a bar a few blocks from me still had one.

Written By: hot_wax on 06/28/09 at 2:38 pm

Cigarette vending machines.  Until New York's indoor smoking ban took effect a few years ago, a bar a few blocks from me still had one.

In the 50's when most cigarettes were .25 cents a pack cigarette vending machines only took small change and gave back nickels and dimes in change if needed. In the mid 60's when cigarettes crept up to .38 and .41 cents a pack the vending machines used to give you the pennies back in change taped to the cigarette pack, in the 70's those old machines were scraped due to higher priced .70 and .80 cents a packs. I remember the mid 60's machines in the NYC bars charged $1.50 a pack for cigarettes that were .55 cents over the counter...Outrageous!! huh! the nerve!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/09 at 4:19 pm

YKYAOW you are the only one in the room who remembers The Jackson 5 on Ed Sullivan. Heck, when your the only one who remembers Ed Sullivan

Written By: hot_wax on 06/28/09 at 8:50 pm

YKYAOW you are the only one in the room who remembers The Jackson 5 on Ed Sullivan. Heck, when your the only one who remembers Ed Sullivan

I think that was the show when their father was on stage with them playing the drums while they sang and danced.

Written By: hot_wax on 06/28/09 at 9:10 pm

...when you recited the "Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag" with 48 stars on it and before the "Under God" was added to the last verse of the Pledge.

Written By: Frank on 06/29/09 at 1:23 am

I remember watching Ed Sullivan. But I don't know if I can recall seeing the Jacksons or not

Written By: Womble on 07/04/09 at 9:53 am

I remember watching Ed Sullivan. But I don't know if I can recall seeing the Jacksons or not

I remeber that show. My parents let us kids stay up later than usual just to see the Jacksons.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/09 at 5:16 pm

YKYAOWYR everything was closed on the 4th except the ice cream parlor, and that closed about an hour after the parade.  During the hometown parade just about everyone went and lined the streets, and all males over the age of 5 new enough to remove their hats when the American flag went by, no matter how many American flags there were in the parade.

Written By: Frank on 07/04/09 at 5:54 pm

YKYAOWYR everything was closed on the 4th except the ice cream parlor, and that closed about an hour after the parade.  During the hometown parade just about everyone went and lined the streets, and all males over the age of 5 new enough to remove their hats when the American flag went by, no matter how many American flags there were in the parade.

And the flag had 48 stars only  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/09 at 7:41 pm

YKYOWYR when you could get gumballs out of a gumball machine for 5c and 10c

Written By: hot_wax on 07/05/09 at 9:09 pm

The little glass domed gum ball machines that had the gum balls with the word Ford printed on their gum balls were the best. For 5 cents you get 3 gums balls, I always hoped for the black liquorish and white peppermint gum balls to come out together they tasted the best...Yummmm!

PS...and the chewing gum didn't lose it's flavor on the the bed post over night!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/09 at 5:23 am

PS...and the chewing gum didn't lose it's flavor on the the bed post over night!

My mother said don't chew it, so I swallowed it in spite.

Written By: hot_wax on 07/06/09 at 3:12 pm

My mother said don't chew it, so I swallowed it in spite.

Can you catch it on your toncils can you heave it left and right?...Wah! wah!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/06/09 at 5:04 pm

Super balls were also 10 cents. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/09 at 5:42 pm

YKYAOWYR penny candy costing only a penny-or even 2 for a penny.
YKYAOWYR Bazooka Joe.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/06/09 at 6:02 pm

YKYAOWYR Bazooka Joe.

Cat
i remember Bazooka Joe gum, luv'd it, especially the comic strips, they were hilarious. wasn't there also a fortune underneath the comic?

Written By: Frank on 07/06/09 at 7:22 pm

I loved super balls!

YKYAOWYR Bazooka Joe.

Cat

Dubble Bubble, loved their gum

Written By: mooster on 07/07/09 at 4:48 am

...metal garbage bins - domestic that is!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/09 at 12:23 pm

i remember Bazooka Joe gum, luv'd it, especially the comic strips, they were hilarious. wasn't there also a fortune underneath the comic?

http://www.recidivism.org/images/2006/12/bazookajoe.jpg

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/07/09 at 5:48 pm

As were Pimple Balls, great for a game of half ball.

Written By: Frank on 07/08/09 at 12:46 am

Baseball and Hockey Cards were 10 cents a pack, with bubble gum that was sometimes hard as a rock

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/08/09 at 12:57 am

Baseball and Hockey Cards were 10 cents a pack, with bubble gum that was sometimes hard as a rock
and you still eagerly chewed that gum

Written By: Frank on 07/08/09 at 12:59 am

and you still eagerly chewed that gum

You bet I did!

Written By: Womble on 07/08/09 at 6:16 pm

YKYOWYR "Green Stamps" from the the A & P supermarket. My Grandfather got a card table with those stamps.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/08/09 at 6:31 pm

YKYOWYR "Green Stamps" from the the A & P supermarket. My Grandfather got a card table with those stamps.

I remember my Mom doing that.  I also remember S&H green stamp stores. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 12:35 pm

I used to close the door to the bathroom and bounce a super ball really hard... I was nearly 'taken out' on more than one occasion by those balls... they were dangerous  :o

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 3:38 pm

I used to close the door to the bathroom and bounce a super ball really hard... I was nearly 'taken out' on more than one occasion by those balls... they were dangerous  :o

;D

The smaller ones were more dangerous.  I was obsessed with the ones with glitter inside.  I think they're 50 cents now. :\'(

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 4:40 pm

;D

So they've hit ya on the head on few times. That explains so much now!!! :D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 5:01 pm

So they've hit ya on the head on few times. That explains so much now!!! :D

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1772.gif
errrr....duh... I don't know what you;re talking abo.. huh?  ???

:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 5:04 pm

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1772.gif

errrr....duh... I don't know what you;re talking abo.. huh?  ???

I thought you told me the brain damage was from falling off your bike.  :o  Something so small as a superball can do such damage.  Wow!!!

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 5:08 pm

I thought you told me the brain damage was from falling off your bike.  :o  Something so small as a superball can do such damage.  Wow!!!

I've fallen off my bike many times, and played tackle football on ice. Nope, nothing wrong with me!  :o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 5:09 pm

I've fallen off my bike many times, and played tackle football on ice. Nope, nothing wrong with me!  :o

But have you ever had a collision with a Superball???

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 5:11 pm

But have you ever had a collision with a Superball???

Probably, I don't remember!!! :D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:19 pm

I can not be expected to remember what I have and haven't told you since I have brain damage and all!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/09 at 6:41 pm

;D

One time us three youngest had a slumber party-can't remember how many friends the 3 of us had all together, but we all decided to have a séance (what else do you do at slumber parties  :D ;D ;D). My grandfather had just passed away at the time and his photo was in the living room where we all were so we thought it would help. Whoever it was doing talking said, "If you are in this room, give us a sign." Little did I know that my sister ("Dawg") had a superball and threw it. You never heard a bunch of girls scream so loud in your life!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D My mother came running out of her room to see what was going on. Then everyone started laughing but I was still scared and couldn't understand why everyone was laughing because I hadn't realized what everyone else did-that my sister threw that ball. I finally did. I was just a little slow in those days.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:44 pm

One time us three youngest had a slumber party-can't remember how many friends the 3 of us had all together, but we all decided to have a séance (what else do you do at slumber parties  :D ;D ;D). My grandfather had just passed away at the time and his photo was in the living room where we all were so we thought it would help. Whoever it was doing talking said, "If you are in this room, give us a sign." Little did I know that my sister ("Dawg") had a superball and threw it. You never heard a bunch of girls scream so loud in your life!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D My mother came running out of her room to see what was going on. Then everyone started laughing but I was still scared and couldn't understand why everyone was laughing because I hadn't realized what everyone else did-that my sister threw that ball. I finally did. I was just a little slow in those days.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

crafty one that Dawg is!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/09 at 6:55 pm

crafty one that Dawg is!  ;D

Yup-she was such a bad influence on me.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:56 pm

Yup-she was such a bad influence on me.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

whuddaya mean wuz?  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/09 at 6:57 pm

whuddaya mean wuz?  ;)

I was thinking of that as I was typing it. lol

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/09 at 5:05 pm

You know you're old when you DON'T remember

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/09 at 6:30 pm

You know you're old when you DON'T remember

Do I know you?

Cat

Written By: Frank on 07/20/09 at 2:22 pm

When you recall that 40 years ago today you were watching a black and white TV as man first walked on the moon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/09 at 2:23 pm

When you recall that 40 years ago today you were watching a black and white TV as man first walked on the moon.
I fall into that club!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/09 at 4:14 pm

I didn't watch but I do remember my mother telling me about it. I ducked thinking they were right on the roof.  :D ;D ;D ;D

A day or two later, I remember going outside. It was daylight yet the moon was out. I was looking up and thinking, "Wow, there are people up there."

My sister had a pennant depicting the landing hanging on her wall. Whenever I slept in her room (which was A LOT) I would stare of that pennant and the date was forever etched in my brain.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/09 at 4:17 pm

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app3/saturn-5.jpg

If that is the moon in the sky in the back ground, then the Saturn 5 rocket is pointing in the wrong direction.

Written By: Frank on 07/21/09 at 1:21 am

Can't see your pic, Philip

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 1:45 am

It worked yesterday!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 1:47 am

Let's try again...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/saturn-5.jpg

If that is the moon in the sky in the back ground, then the Saturn 5 rocket is pointing in the wrong direction.

Written By: Frank on 07/21/09 at 1:50 am

Ah, now i see it. Nice sunset Pic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 1:51 am

Ah, now i see it. Nice sunset Pic.
Splendid!

Written By: Frank on 07/22/09 at 1:26 am

You know you're old when you remember...Watergate (Nixon)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/22/09 at 2:26 am

http://www.fizzies.com/images/Fizzies101_03.gif  fruit-flavored, effervescent drink tablets

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3658589446_997c7e2149.jpg?v=0

Written By: Frank on 07/22/09 at 2:38 am

http://www.fizzies.com/images/Fizzies101_03.gif  fruit-flavored, effervescent drink tablets

Don't know this product ( maybe we didn't have it in Canada?)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/22/09 at 2:42 am

Don't know this product ( maybe we didn't have it in Canada?)
probably sold in America. as a kid they seemed very cool, now they look disgusting but if your family could not afford soda pop, these were a cheap substitute since you used tap water

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/22/09 at 2:36 pm

Looks like flavored Alka Seltzer
indeed it was very much like AS. I used to love alka seltzer  :D

Written By: gemini on 07/22/09 at 5:53 pm

http://www.fizzies.com/images/Fizzies101_03.gif   fruit-flavored, effervescent drink tablets

I remember these, but I don't think we ever had them. Our drink was usually Rootin Tootin Raspberry and Choo choo Cherry, and all those Funny Face Drink Mixes.

Written By: Frank on 07/22/09 at 7:58 pm

probably sold in America. as a kid they seemed very cool, now they look disgusting but if your family could not afford soda pop, these were a cheap substitute since you used tap water

Maybe we did have it, be we never bought it. And it does look like Alka seltzer. "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"...(old add for that product)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/27/09 at 4:52 pm

...a box of Cracker Jack cost a dime and the prize was a small toy or trinket

Written By: Frank on 07/27/09 at 5:04 pm

...a box of Cracker Jack cost a dime and the prize was a small toy or trinket

That's right, and as soon as you opened the box you went directly for the prize. I Remember that. 10 cents went a long ways back then (You could buy a chocolate bar, or a pack of baseball cards,or a bag of chips)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/27/09 at 5:06 pm

That's right, and as soon as you opened the box you went directly for the prize. I Remember that. 10 cents went a long ways back then (You could buy a chocolate bar, or a pack of baseball cards,or a bag of chips)

do you remember the compass that Slim Pickens got as a prize in the comedy 1941?  .10 cents sure did go far then, now we pay up to 10 x's that amount

Written By: Frank on 07/27/09 at 5:12 pm

do you remember the compass that Slim Pickens got as a prize in the comedy 1941?  .10 cents sure did go far then, now we pay up to 10 x's that amount

Know what? I haven't seen that John Belushi movie yet, but hope to one day.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/27/09 at 8:08 pm

One of my fondest memories and glad to be the age I am.

Listening to the ball game on the radio. Baseball was rarely televised and the only way to follow your team was
on a transistor radio. To this day, I usually listen to the Sunday game rather than watch it.

Written By: Frank on 07/28/09 at 2:01 am

One of my fondest memories and glad to be the age I am.

Listening to the ball game on the radio. Baseball was rarely televised and the only way to follow your team was
on a transistor radio. To this day, I usually listen to the Sunday game rather than watch it.

I also still enjoy listening to games on the radio, have done so since the early 1970s

Written By: Frank on 08/13/09 at 2:55 am

Postage stamps to mail a letter costs 6 cents. I remember licking one on an envelope I sent to Santa Claus when I asked for toys ( Major Matt Mason stuff, a frisbee, and some wizzers)

http://wesclark.com/am/matt_mason.jpg
http://www.feelingretro.com/toys/images/whizzer.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 08/13/09 at 5:13 am

When a losing streak in baseball was five or six games.  Two game losing streak  ::)  please.  That is just two losses.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 4:47 pm

YKYOWYR postage stamps that you have to lick.

YKYOWYR telephones that you couldn't do anything with except make phone calls with. (i.e. no taking photos, no text messaging, no web surfing, etc, etc.) The horrors! The horrors!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/09 at 4:56 pm

YKYOWYR postage stamps that you have to lick.

YKYOWYR telephones that you couldn't do anything with except make phone calls with. (i.e. no taking photos, no text messaging, no web surfing, etc, etc.) The horrors! The horrors!

Cat

not to mention the thrill of the rotary dial!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 5:17 pm

not to mention the thrill of the rotary dial!

Yup-that, too.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/17/09 at 7:21 pm

paying by the carload for the entire family to watch a couple movies at the drive-in

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/09 at 10:46 am

paying by the carload for the entire family to watch a couple movies at the drive-in

Hell, YKYOWYR drive-ins.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 08/18/09 at 2:41 pm

Hell, YKYOWYR drive-ins.

Cat

I read that they're making a come back, but with a twist on the old standard drive-ins, did anyone else read this? they're more events for kids to do and the movie itself not the main attraction, like an action park with a night time out door movie to cap off the day. It sounds like be a good idea, I'd take my grand daughters to it if they put built one here.

Written By: Frank on 08/18/09 at 4:37 pm

Hell, YKYOWYR drive-ins.

Cat

Drive ins were fun

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/09 at 6:35 pm

Drive ins were fun

Yeah, they were. And sometimes we even watched the movie.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 08/18/09 at 8:05 pm

Cat

HA! HA! HA! Disk jockey Murry "The K" called it "submarine race watching"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/19/09 at 1:26 am

Cat
could you see the movie from the back seat?  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/09 at 10:48 am

HA! HA! HA! Disk jockey Murry "The K" called it "submarine race watching"

YKYOWYR Murry The K, Cousin Brucie & Wolfman Jack.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 08/19/09 at 1:45 pm

YKYOWYR Murry The K, Cousin Brucie & Wolfman Jack.

Cat

So true.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/09 at 1:55 pm

So true.

I used to listen to Cousin Brucie in the mornings on WABC out of NYC.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 08/19/09 at 9:40 pm

I used to listen to Cousin Brucie in the mornings on WABC out of NYC.

Cat

I know I'm old because I remember when rock n' roll music was good, I just don't like anything on the radio today, it all sucks. I really feel bad for these kids today with the music they're growing up on...boy o' boy I sound like an old fart, a real dinosaur, ya' see "you know your old when you can remember that your just old" 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/20/09 at 1:05 am

YKYOWYR...that 3 people could sit in the front of a car because the front seat of a car was a a bench seat just like the back seat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/09 at 11:17 am

YKYOWYR...that 3 people could sit in the front of a car because the front seat of a car was a a bench seat just like the back seat.

And you slid all over the place (or was that just me?  :-\\ ) And no seat belts.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/20/09 at 11:24 am

And you slid all over the place (or was that just me?  :-\\ ) And no seat belts.

Cat

It wasn't just you!
And climb to the back seats too whilegoing 70MPH

I know I'm old because I remember when rock n' roll music was good, I just don't like anything on the radio today, it all sucks. I really feel bad for these kids today with the music they're growing up on...boy o' boy"

Totally agree. Music has gone into the toilet since about 1990, although there are a few good songs here and there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/09 at 11:32 am

I know I'm old because I remember when rock n' roll music was good, I just don't like anything on the radio today, it all sucks. I really feel bad for these kids today with the music they're growing up on...boy o' boy I sound like an old fart, a real dinosaur, ya' see "you know your old when you can remember that your just old" 

It wasn't just you!
And climb to the back seats too whilegoing 70MPH

Totally agree. Music has gone into the toilet since about 1990, although there are a few good songs here and there.

As Bob Seger said, "Today's music ain't got the same soul. Just give me that old time Rock-n-Roll!"

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/09 at 11:31 am

YKYOWYR not to trust anyone over under 30.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/07/09 at 7:45 pm

The bands that are now playing State Fairs, Amusement Parks and Casinos once played to
sold out Arenas and Stadiums.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/09 at 10:18 pm

The bands that are now playing State Fairs, Amusement Parks and Casinos once played to

Are the Rolling Stones still on tour?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/09 at 10:22 pm

and sadly many are not even headlining, but at least they are rockin'  8)

Written By: Frank on 09/08/09 at 12:02 am

Good one!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/09 at 5:24 pm

Rushing out to buy the 45 of the hot new single by your favorite artist that you are now
humming to while standing in an elevator.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/09 at 5:38 pm

Rushing out to buy the 45 of the hot new single by your favorite artist that you are now
humming to while standing in an elevator.

YKYOWYR 45s-or even worse 78s.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: Frank on 09/10/09 at 7:04 pm

YKYOWYR 45s-or even worse 78s.  :o :o :o

Cat

I had a few 78's as a kid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/09 at 11:49 am

I had a few 78's as a kid.
Do they sell on ebay?

Written By: Frank on 11/21/09 at 1:24 pm

Do they sell on ebay?

I don't know, I do not have them anymore. I suppose someone out there collects them

Written By: hot_wax on 11/21/09 at 2:24 pm

I don't know, I do not have them anymore. I suppose someone out there collects them

Are you guys serious? I'm sure there are many of us reading your replies that still have their "collection of 78's" from the 50's through the 80's but we purchased them new when they first became available in the record stores and collected them by default of just wanting the music. Now many of our albums are "collectors items" not for the music but for the art work that was done on the covers and jackets...go figure! I only have about 300 hundred, I'm sure some people reading this have up to a couple of thousand in their collection. Sorry you guys missed out on the best way to listen to your music, CD's are great, but lose a certain quality that the sound of music gets from vinyl.

You know when your old when you have to explain old technology to second generation kids.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/09 at 4:31 pm

Are you guys serious? I'm sure there are many of us reading your replies that still have their "collection of 78's" from the 50's through the 80's but we purchased them new when they first became available in the record stores and collected them by default of just wanting the music. Now many of our albums are "collectors items" not for the music but for the art work that was done on the covers and jackets...go figure! I only have about 300 hundred, I'm sure some people reading this have up to a couple of thousand in their collection. Sorry you guys missed out on the best way to listen to your music, CD's are great, but lose a certain quality that the sound of music gets from vinyl.

You know when your old when you have to explain old technology to second generation kids.

We have a box of 78s that we bought at an auction. These are the REALLY, REALLY old ones (something like first or second generation of records)-Victrola (not even RCA yet), Columbia and a few others that I can't remember. They are in OUTSTANDING condition. They look like they have never been played at all. We were hoping to sell them. We put a couple up on eBay but no bites. If you know of anyone who is interested, send them our way.

Cat

Written By: Womble on 11/23/09 at 5:51 pm

YKYOWYR Green Stamps from the A & P

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/09 at 10:39 am

YKYOWYR Green Stamps from the A & P

"The surest sign of thrifty shopping"  ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/09 at 1:32 pm

We have a box of 78s that we bought at an auction. These are the REALLY, REALLY old ones (something like first or second generation of records)-Victrola (not even RCA yet), Columbia and a few others that I can't remember. They are in OUTSTANDING condition. They look like they have never been played at all. We were hoping to sell them. We put a couple up on eBay but no bites. If you know of anyone who is interested, send them our way.

Cat

Hi Cat! I was given a box full of very old carbon records, some dated in the 19"teens" on them, but most from the 20's to the 40's. all in mint condition with most having their covers and jackets. I didn't ask any any one on their value yet, but I don't think their all that collectable, I don't know maybe an Al Jolson is worth a couple of dollars or a Phillip Sousa marching cut might have some interest to collector, if I find someone who collects antique records I'll let you know, OK?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/09 at 1:52 pm

Hi Cat! I was given a box full of very old carbon records, some dated in the 19"teens" on them, but most from the 20's to the 40's. all in mint condition with most having their covers and jackets. I didn't ask any any one on their value yet, but I don't think their all that collectable, I don't know maybe an Al Jolson is worth a couple of dollars or a Phillip Sousa marching cut might have some interest to collector, if I find someone who collects antique records I'll let you know, OK?

On eBay, it is the ones that are of Enrico Caruso that go quite high-well, higher than others.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/09 at 2:27 pm

On eBay, it is the ones that are of Enrico Caruso that go quite high-well, higher than others.

Cat

Now you got me curious, I have to dig them out of my cellar and check them out. I'll keep in touch with you on this.

Written By: Frank on 09/08/10 at 12:52 am

When you used to get up as a kid on weekday mornings and watch kids shows...before Sesame street even existed

(ysed to watch Captain Kangaroo and the Friendly Giant, I think the latter was a Canadian show and perhaps wasn't on in the US)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/10 at 8:57 pm

When a digital watch was a status symbol!

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pulsar_led_watch.jpg

I'm too young to remember this particular watch (1972), but I do remember when digital watches were uncommon.  It was just a few years later my grandmother bought me my first digital watch, and then every kid had one.  A kid I went to school with had one that could play a Space Invaders-type video game.  That was 1981.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/08/10 at 9:54 pm

When a digital watch was a status symbol!

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pulsar_led_watch.jpg

I'm too young to remember this particular watch (1972), but I do remember when digital watches were uncommon.  It was just a few years later my grandmother bought me my first digital watch, and then every kid had one.  A kid I went to school with had one that could play a Space Invaders-type video game.  That was 1981.

I remember watching a Johnny Carson show back in early 70's when he had a new ideas segment for christmas gifts and he was amazed with a digital wristwatch and had the the stage lights dim down low so the cameras could see the time change on the watch and the audeince were ooooing and aaaahing at the this new invention. I can't remember what company brought it to the show, but the price was only $2,000, a christmas gift for someone who had everything then. Now you can get them in gum ball machines for a 25 cents

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/09/10 at 8:44 pm

...when most TV's didn't have remotes, KIDS were the remotes. "Hey Alan, get up and change the channel, will ya?" :D

My uncle Matt up in North Dakota bought this 25-inch ( :o :o :o!!!) Sylvania console TV back in the 70's, and while it had an old-style tuning dial, it also had a remote where you would hold down the "Channel Up" (or "Down") button, and it would automatically rotate the dial and flip through the channels, making this "CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK" sound.

Of course, being a little kid I thought this was the coolest thing ever so I'd grab the remote and just sit there and hold the Channel Up button down and watch the TV go "CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK."

That is until Uncle Matt, who was kind of a crusty type, would get irritated and say, "Gimme that goddamn thing!" and snatch the remote away from me.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 11:28 pm

Expanding on AL-B's post, you qualified TV as color or black & white.  Only about half the kids in my neighborhood had color TV in the late seventies.  Remote control was less common and cable was a luxury. 

Only computer professionals had computers and if you had an email address, you probably worked for the Department of Defense.

On the plus side, hi-fi was in and people knew their speakers.  People from the seventies would be shocked at the substandard audio quality we're now accustomed to.  It's almost like going back to the 1940s!
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 12:52 am

people complaining when you were younger about the same crap you complain about now!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/10 at 11:44 am

people complaining when you were younger about the same crap you complain about now!

-These young whippersnappers today don't know how good they have. When we were their age, we had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot and in 6 feet of snow, up hill-BOTH WAYS!!!!

-When we were kids, our cell phones were two tin cans and a piece of string.

-For us, a Wii was something we did in the bathroom.

-A text message was something someone wrote in the margins of a school book.

Ok, ok. I'll go take my Geratol now. 

Is that what you are talking about, Max?  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 3:14 pm

-These young whippersnappers today don't know how good they have. When we were their age, we had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot and in 6 feet of snow, up hill-BOTH WAYS!!!!

-When we were kids, our cell phones were two tin cans and a piece of string.

-For us, a Wii was something we did in the bathroom.

-A text message was something someone wrote in the margins of a school book.

Ok, ok. I'll go take my Geratol now.  

Is that what you are talking about, Max?  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_NhnXMCKw

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/10 at 3:36 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And you got caught in the quote box again.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 10:42 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And you got caught in the quote box again.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Fixed...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/twirl.gif

Written By: Hud on 09/12/10 at 4:35 am

Expanding on AL-B's post, you qualified TV as color or black & white.  Only about half the kids in my neighborhood had color TV in the late seventies.  Remote control was less common and cable was a luxury. 

8)

This just got me to thinking. I grew up below poverty level in a less than Beaver/Brady neighborhood and most there went from b/w to color between late '60's and mid '70's. I think we got our first color TV in '73, from a garage sale, where all our major appliances came from then.
We never had AC in brutal Okla Jul-Aug's either and I remember what a treat it was to spend the night with one particular friend that had it, when even overnight lows are 80 with 256% humidity in those months. We had a water cooler from the McKinley administration which would make one feel slightly less baked if you sat right in front of its loud roaring wind.
My folks splurged ($10-15/mo) to get cable in '74, more for the clear reception than the added eight channels, as our aerial was 55 miles from the four over-the-air Tulsa stations and made for a snowy picture.
I don't believe they got remotes until the late '80's, being both poor and old and fighting technology. Now I am old and poor and fighting the inevitable myself, but they'll never plant a microchip in me so I can be employed, buy, sell, trade or be gps located by the authorities <cue evil laff>.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/10 at 1:04 pm

This just got me to thinking. I grew up below poverty level in a less than Beaver/Brady neighborhood and most there went from b/w to color between late '60's and mid '70's. I think we got our first color TV in '73, from a garage sale, where all our major appliances came from then.
We never had AC in brutal Okla Jul-Aug's either and I remember what a treat it was to spend the night with one particular friend that had it, when even overnight lows are 80 with 256% humidity in those months. We had a water cooler from the McKinley administration which would make one feel slighly less baked if you sat right in front of it's loud roaring wind.
My folks splurged ($10-15/mo) to get cable in '74, more for the clear reception than the added ten channels, as our aerial was 55 miles from the four over-the-air Tulsa stations and made for a snowy picture.
I don't believe they got remotes until the late '80's, being both poor and old and fighting technology. Now I am old and poor and fighting the inevitable myself, but they'll never plant a microchip in me so I can be employed, buy, sell, trade or be gps located by the authorities <cue evil laff>.

Gotta love Oklahoma in the summer-NOT!!!!  ::)  Lived in Tulsa for about a year (1978-1979) and still have family there.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/12/10 at 5:25 pm

...these!  :o

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/un/1j/remove-manual-window-crank-800X800.jpg

Written By: Brigitte on 09/12/10 at 8:48 pm

I miss the roll down window, never a big problem rolling them down - EVER! Now we have electrical problems where you could get seriously hurt!

Written By: ADH13 on 09/12/10 at 11:56 pm

how to score bowling manually.

I have more trouble trying to figure out how to enter names & get the automated scoring thing set up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/10 at 10:54 am

YKYOWYR a person to person call.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 09/13/10 at 7:11 pm

YKYOWYR working a telex machine ( before faxes were the norm)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/13/10 at 7:27 pm

YKYOWYR cars that had "three on the tree."  :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/13/10 at 7:42 pm

YKYOWYR not much of anything really.  :-\\ :\'(

Written By: Hud on 09/17/10 at 11:22 am

...pro football players had real jobs during the off season to make ends meet and July training camp was for getting into shape. There were no "superstars", but just good players and very very good players, as it is today, without the hype of grandiose words suggesting superhuman capabilities. The difference from the early days and today being guys can afford devotion to year-round training and to being a full-time athlete because all their needs are taken care of by popular demand from us fans.
Annual salaries were from around $9000-30,000, with SB I-XI (1967-77) winners getting $15,000, losers getting $7500. Compare four figure salaries then to some making eight figures per year for the past couple decades. I like the regular Joe old days, but what can you do? I hear a few of those guys would light up a cig at halftime then. Bigger, stronger, faster has shot thru the roof since pre-1980, but we'll never see the same type characters again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 1:07 am

Roll-down windows work without the electrical system.  Major advantage.  If the window system itself fizzles out, they you have to replace it, which costs thousands!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 1:09 am

How awkward all this stuff was coming in because it's awkward again now that it's leaving!
:)

Written By: Frank on 09/20/10 at 1:58 am

you picked up a penny from the floor/street/sidewalk and was glad to find it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/20/10 at 8:32 am

Even some 4-year olds today can be glad to find it, simply because it's "money" and don't know the concept of a lot of money. I don't feel glad to find something until it's at least a quarter nowadays, but even today all a quarter buys is a gumball, and an arcade game if you're lucky.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/10 at 12:05 pm

I'm still glad that I find them. In fact, right now I have 2 pennies in my pocket that I found.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I have to look at them closer because they COULD BE worth something more than a penny.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Frank on 09/20/10 at 11:37 pm

I'm still glad that I find them. In fact, right now I have 2 pennies in my pocket that I found.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I have to look at them closer because they COULD BE worth something more than a penny.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I do the same. Actually sometimes I'll pick up an Amerfcan penny here from the sidewalk (since it's worth abot 2 million CDN...just kidding) and check the date. I throw it back if it's post civil war  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/28/11 at 7:13 pm

not sure what made me think of this but Ykyowyr... having a big fat can of Crisco shortening on your kitchen counter  8-P  now of course we have olive oil and Pam

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/11 at 7:33 pm

YKYAOW you remember how cool it was that Auric Goldfinger had power tinted windows and a telephone in his car, because you knew that stuff would never happen.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/01/11 at 7:28 am

Even some 4-year olds today can be glad to find it, simply because it's "money" and don't know the concept of a lot of money. I don't feel glad to find something until it's at least a quarter nowadays, but even today all a quarter buys is a gumball, and an arcade game if you're lucky.

YKYOWYR when you could buy a gumball out of a machine for a penny.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/11 at 8:21 pm

YKYOWYR when "hell" was still a swear word!

Written By: Claybricks on 07/02/11 at 8:06 pm

You know you're old when you can't remember

Dan

Written By: snozberries on 07/02/11 at 8:51 pm

You know you're old when you can't remember

Dan

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/11 at 10:04 pm

YKYAOWYR Chestnut trees.  The city I live in used to have lots of chestnut trees, but a disease came and now there are just a couple that they managed to save in the graveyard .  The rest are all gone. Same with Elms.  Just about every city has a Chestnut Street and an Elm Street, without the trees.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/04/11 at 11:15 am

you know what a phone book is.  When we moved here, our house didn't have a phone book or yellow pages, so my hubby went in to the T-mobile store on the off-chance that they might happen to have an extra phone book.  The teenagers there had no idea what one was... is it an app?  To list cell phones?  For the i-pad?  uh... no.  The older manager had to come out to say no, they didn't have any.  ;D :D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/04/11 at 1:05 pm

YKYAOWYR Chestnut trees.  The city I live in used to have lots of chestnut trees, but a disease came and now there are just a couple that they managed to save in the graveyard .  The rest are all gone. Same with Elms.  Just about every city has a Chestnut Street and an Elm Street, without the trees.

I was telling The Boy this very thing last week. Where I grew up, in the Fairview section of Camden, NJ, chestnut trees lined all the main streets
in the town. I won't get into detail with what we did with the chestnuts, lets just say the aluminum awnings in town had mysterious dents and
leave it at that. As the years went by fewer and fewer chestnut trees now there are none.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 5:42 pm

YKYOWYR Trash men AND garbage men.  Two different trucks, and the garbage men would come into your yard, take out the garbage pail the was set in the ground, dump it in the truck, then take the pail back and put it back in the ground.  I have an old house and still have a garbage pail in the ground, I use it for compost.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/04/11 at 7:32 pm

YKYOWYR Trash men AND garbage men.  Two different trucks, and the garbage men would come into your yard, take out the garbage pail the was set in the ground, dump it in the truck, then take the pail back and put it back in the ground.  I have an old house and still have a garbage pail in the ground, I use it for compost.

Never knew that.  :-\\

Along similar lines...
Alot of houses in Pittsburgh still have the little coal chute doors in the facade of their houses.  Ours should but maybe it was changed when they converted to gas furnace.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/11 at 4:37 am

Never knew that.  :-\\

It had a cast iron lid that you would flip open with your foot.  The pail was like an inner liner with a handle.

http://www.dorchesteratheneum.org/images/11103.jpg

Written By: karen on 07/05/11 at 10:44 am

what is the difference between trash and garbage?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/11 at 11:16 am

what is the difference between trash and garbage?

Trash is paper stuff garbage is food stuff. Garbage rots, stinks & attracts bugs, trash does not.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/11 at 5:03 pm

YKYOWYR  You pulled into the gas station and the attendant came out, pumped the gas, washed your windshield(front and rear), and checked your oil.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/11 at 6:53 pm

The Dutch elm disease destroyed millions of elms from its arrival in the 1920s.  I have vivid early memories of two large elms being cut down.  That was the early 1970s.  They stood like sentries at the end of that road for perhaps 150 years.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/11 at 10:46 pm

YKYOWYR  You pulled into the gas station and the attendant came out, pumped the gas, washed your windshield(front and rear), and checked your oil.

And they pumped regular gasoline

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/11 at 3:42 am

With the engine running, and a cigarette in their mouth

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/11 at 10:30 am

Full of lead.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/11 at 5:55 pm

With the engine running, and a cigarette in their mouth

Hell yeah!

Full of lead.

Cat

At 85 cents a gallon  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/11 at 6:22 pm

Hell yeah!

At 85 cents a gallon  :o

25cents a gallon 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/11 at 6:48 pm

I remember my mother putting 10 cents worth of gas in the tank.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/11 at 6:53 pm

I never paid attention to gas prices until started paying for it myself in 1986  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/11 at 11:10 pm

Ding-Ding

What can I do for you today, ma'am?

Fill it up with regular.

Fill it?

Yep. Fill it.

Written By: King Tut on 09/23/11 at 11:23 pm

Collected these!

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20100426/320523323624.jpg

Or you know you're old when people start offering you a seat on public transit  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 12:21 am

http://stevenroddy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/aaa.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/11 at 5:08 pm

Collected these!

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20100426/320523323624.jpg

Oh man. I think I still have a couple somewhere around.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://stevenroddy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/aaa.jpg

I remember when they were reissued (1976-the Bicentennial). Believe it or not, the mint is still printing them. If you can see the date on that pic you posted-it looks like it says 2007 to me-but remember, I am blind.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 5:22 pm

^ My grandmother used to send me two-dollar bills.  I realized later she didn't want to spoil me with fives, and she would have sent me a dollar at a time, but Susan B. Anthony coins didn't fare well in the post.  And that's the last time I've ever doubled my returns on a currency scheme!

Indeed, you can go to the bank and ask for Jeffersons or Anthonys but they're emblematic of the Jimmeh Cawtah era!

The problem with the Susan B. Anthony dollar is cashiers think its a quarter.

Ahem, sir...
::)

Written By: King Tut on 09/25/11 at 5:28 pm

Oh man. I think I still have a couple somewhere around.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I remember when they were reissued (1976-the Bicentennial). Believe it or not, the mint is still printing them. If you can see the date on that pic you posted-it looks like it says 2007 to me-but remember, I am blind.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I think the date on the bill is 2003.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/11 at 5:44 pm

^ My grandmother used to send me two-dollar bills.  I realized later she didn't want to spoil me with fives, and she would have sent me a dollar at a time, but Susan B. Anthony coins didn't fare well in the post.  And that's the last time I've ever doubled my returns on a currency scheme!

Indeed, you can go to the bank and ask for Jeffersons or Anthonys but they're emblematic of the Jimmeh Cawtah era!

The problem with the Susan B. Anthony dollar is cashiers think its a quarter.

Ahem, sir...
::)

My grandmother used to also send me a dollar-so I kept writing her and sure enough, I would get another dollar.  :D ;D ;D ;D  The funniest time was when she sent a dollar and told us to split it amongst four of us.  :D ;D ;D ;D  We had to be very careful not to spend that all in one place.

I think the date on the bill is 2003.

I told you I was blind.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/27/11 at 12:36 pm

dial 0 in case of emergency

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/11 at 12:31 am

dial 0 in case of emergency

If you dialed zero you got a live operator, not a telephone tree and she could call your local police if your emergency prevented you from doing so yourself!

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/11 at 10:09 pm

when minimum wage was 85 cents an hour and you got coupons in your 25 cent a pack of cigarettes towards more cigarettes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/11 at 11:00 pm

If a guy had an earring he was a degenerate freakshow!
8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/11 at 11:29 pm

If a guy had an earring he was a degenerate freakshow!
8)
...or a pirate?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/01/11 at 6:37 pm

when businesses (restaurants) used to post signs on their door warning customers with pacemakers that microwaves were in use inside.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/11 at 8:41 pm

when businesses (restaurants) used to post signs on their door warning customers with pacemakers that microwaves were in use inside.

And there was a ready-to-drop pregnant lady at the bar pounding Gibson Martinis and toking Kools and nobody looked twice!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/01/11 at 9:40 pm

when kids used to ride in the shopping cart standing up and nobody thought anything about it 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/11 at 3:11 pm

when kids used to ride in the shopping cart standing up and nobody thought anything about it 

Or when kids would ride on top of the back seat in convertibles (like we used to do with my Dad's convertible).  :-\\

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/11 at 4:12 pm

Or cruising around in the flatbed of a pickup truck!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: hot_wax on 10/02/11 at 8:30 pm

when PF Flyers were cool!

Written By: hot_wax on 10/02/11 at 8:34 pm

when Crisco was used as a hair gel.

Written By: King Tut on 10/02/11 at 8:45 pm

being told to put your thinking caps on, or being double dog dared for something, or learning how to use a slide rule, or being told to "get up, walk to the TV and change the channel on the TV"

Written By: hot_wax on 10/02/11 at 8:49 pm

when the number one song for many weeks in the USA on the TV show " The Hit Parade " was "The Shrimp Boats are Coming"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/11 at 11:51 pm

when the number one song for many weeks in the USA on the TV show " The Hit Parade " was "The Shrimp Boats are Coming"

???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dz1YRXdOA

Written By: Christie Marie M on 10/03/11 at 12:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsfVEFvrxA

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 7:39 am

If you had a color television and two phone lines in your house, you were probably rich!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 11:56 am

YKYAOWYR refridge door handles like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Bh9m7h8e0Lo/SZsqL05L6bI/AAAAAAAADbw/cKvRRXgNQTo/s400/045.JPG

And you know what this is and what it was used for-and even had one on your house.

http://rlavalette.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/tv-antenna-large-4-23-07.jpg

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 2:34 pm

YKYAOWYR these:

http://images.thingsyouneverknew.com/images/products/en_us/detail/p46390.jpg

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 5:31 pm

YKYAOWYR refridge door handles like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Bh9m7h8e0Lo/SZsqL05L6bI/AAAAAAAADbw/cKvRRXgNQTo/s400/045.JPG

Later dumped in a vacant lot to become a child's coffin!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/11 at 5:46 pm

YKYAOWYR these:

http://images.thingsyouneverknew.com/images/products/en_us/detail/p46390.jpg

Cat

what are those?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 5:54 pm

what are those?

I guess you are not old.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 6:07 pm

what are those?

I don't know those either.

Written By: Davester on 10/03/11 at 6:42 pm

Later dumped in a vacant lot to become a child's coffin!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif

...A child's coffin...

Dang, that's sad, man...

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/11 at 6:58 pm

I guess you are not old.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I didntmean it that way  ;D
I'm still curious tho.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 7:10 pm

I didntmean it that way   ;D
I'm still curious tho.

They were little magnets that were negative & positive on different sides. One side would attract each other and the other side would repel. It was a little toy to keep little kids fascinated for a while-until they lose one or both or the magnets.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/11 at 10:06 pm

They were little magnets that were negative & positive on different sides. One side would attract each other and the other side would repel. It was a little toy to keep little kids fascinated for a while-until they lose one or both or the magnets.

Cat

Ha ha.  Must have carried over....I used to do that with regular magnets.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 10:43 pm

...A child's coffin...

Dang, that's sad, man...

Sorry to be so macabre...but just think of the hundreds of kids who did get to grow up because of onerous big government regulations imposed on utility manufacturers!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2586/is-it-impossible-to-open-a-refrigerator-door-from-the-inside

Written By: King Tut on 10/07/11 at 5:27 pm

You know you're old when you remember it was normal to watch commercials selling this product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvuhIyWSJk&feature=related

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/11 at 10:00 pm

when butter was a major food group!

Written By: King Tut on 10/09/11 at 1:37 am

when butter was a major food group!

Whoa whoa whoa there. Are you saying it isn't anymore?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/11 at 12:12 pm

Froot Loops weren't part of a complete breakfast...they were a complete breakfast!

Froot Loops and Tom & Jerry!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

Written By: King Tut on 10/11/11 at 5:31 pm

Reading posts in the "100 years ago thread" and say: I remember that!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/13 at 6:53 pm

Ykyowyr...the family car was a station wagon with rear seat facing the back

http://www.hemmings.com/story_image/159891-500-0.jpg?rev=1

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 6:17 am

doo-wop was on the radio.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/13 at 1:50 pm

What happened to the other YKYOWYR thread?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 2:32 pm

???

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=21928.885

One is in Before the '70s, and the other is in In the '70s.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/08/13 at 2:39 pm

???

YKYOWYR that there was another thread called YKYOWYR  somewhere else  :P :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 2:41 pm

YKYOWYR that there was another thread called YKYOWYR  somewhere else  :P :D

You know you are old when you CAN'T remember.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/08/13 at 2:44 pm

Cat

can't remember.....what?  ???

;D

Why am I laughing?

;D

:-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 2:51 pm

can't remember.....what?  ???

;D

Why am I laughing?

;D

:-\\

Because you saw a pic that Howard posted in the funny pic thread.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 7:19 pm

???

I never knew there was another thread, maybe I am getting old.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 7:20 pm

Cat

CRS... Can't Remember Squat  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 7:21 pm

Because you saw a pic that Howard posted in the funny pic thread.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Nah, that ain't it.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/13 at 7:36 pm

You knew you're old when you remember what happened thirty years ago crystal clear, but you haven't the foggiest about five minutes ago.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/13 at 6:06 am

You knew you're old when you remember what happened thirty years ago crystal clear, but you haven't the foggiest about five minutes ago.

That reminds me of me sometimes.

Written By: warped on 02/11/13 at 7:20 am

when Tiny Tim got married on TV

Written By: warped on 11/11/13 at 8:00 pm

When the Beatles were still together.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/13 at 1:47 am

When the Beatles were still together.
...and when they split up!

Written By: Howard on 11/12/13 at 6:37 am

My parents got married

Written By: warped on 11/12/13 at 6:44 am

My parents got married

You remember your parents getting married?

Written By: Howard on 11/12/13 at 8:42 am

You remember your parents getting married?

August 3rd,1969.

Written By: warped on 11/12/13 at 10:15 am

August 3rd,1969.

Great, but you were not born yet. This thread ``You know you're old when you remember...`` is for events and things that you're old enough to  remember.

Written By: Redhairkid on 11/12/13 at 2:21 pm

You know you're old when you remember:

Button A and Button B in public telephone booths.

When the aforementioned booths were red.

When television transmission ran on either 405 or 625 lines.

When 20 shillings equalled one pound.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/13 at 11:34 pm

YKYOWYR...walking down the street to see what your friends were doing

Written By: Howard on 11/15/13 at 3:02 pm

YKYOWYR...walking down the street to see what your friends were doing

and this was 40 years before Facebook, Instagram and Myspace.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/13 at 10:18 pm

Ykyowyr...if you got thirsty, your mom had a pitcher of Kool Aid in the fridge

Written By: Howard on 11/16/13 at 3:07 pm

Ykyowyr...if you got thirsty, your mom had a pitcher of Kool Aid in the fridge

Was Kool Aid better back then than it is now?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/17/13 at 2:20 am

Was Kool Aid better back then than it is now?
it's probably the same. I haven't had any in over 35 years

Written By: Howard on 11/17/13 at 3:08 pm

it's probably the same. I haven't had any in over 35 years

Wow! 35 years? :o

Written By: warped on 11/17/13 at 3:36 pm

When you remember the original Jeopardy (on TV) and who these guys (game show hosts) were.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/tvseries/zguest1e.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/13 at 2:43 am

When you remember the original Jeopardy (on TV) and who these guys (game show hosts) were.

I was never in a position to watch the original series of Jeopardy, but wish to now.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/13 at 3:41 am

Ykyowyr... in the 60's many folk had a backyard burning barrel for their trash

http://blog.drpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Burn-Barrel.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/13 at 4:36 am

Nowadays, we have to use a paper shredder.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/13 at 6:44 am

But didn't they have garbage bags at that time or it wasn't invented yet?  ???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/13 at 12:45 am

But didn't they have garbage bags at that time or it wasn't invented yet?  ???
I am not sure Howard but I don't think they were invented yet, people used paper grocery bags

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 6:23 am

I am not sure Howard but I don't think they were invented yet, people used paper grocery bags

I think garbage bags were invented in the early 1970's.

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/13 at 11:45 am

I think garbage bags were invented in the early 1970's.

According to google they were invented in 1950

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/13 at 5:17 pm

I was there to match my intellect on national TV
Against a plumber, oh and an architect, both with a PhD
I was tense, I was nervous, I guess it just wasn't my night
Art Flemming gave the answers
Oh, but I couldn't get the questions right-ight-ight

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:14 pm

Nowadays, we have to use a paper shredder.

and paper shredders weren't invented until many years later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 3:39 am

and paper shredders weren't invented until many years later.
From wiki:

The first paper shredder is credited to prolific inventor Abbot Augustus Low of Horseshoe, located on the Western shore of Horseshoe Lake, in Piercefield, New York. His patent for a "waste paper receptacle" to offer an improved method of disposing of waste paper was filed on February 2, 1909, and received the U.S. patent number 929,960 on August 31, 1909. Low’s invention was never manufactured, however.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 6:46 am

From wiki:

The first paper shredder is credited to prolific inventor Abbot Augustus Low of Horseshoe, located on the Western shore of Horseshoe Lake, in Piercefield, New York. His patent for a "waste paper receptacle" to offer an improved method of disposing of waste paper was filed on February 2, 1909, and received the U.S. patent number 929,960 on August 31, 1909. Low’s invention was never manufactured, however.

So it's been almost 115 years since the paper shredder was first started.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/18/13 at 2:07 pm

What are you talking about "used to". My Daddy's been burning crap in one of those 55 gallon drums as long as I can remember.  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:08 pm

What are you talking about "used to". My Daddy's been burning crap in one of those 55 gallon drums as long as I can remember.  :o

What kind of crap?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/18/13 at 7:11 pm

What kind of crap?

My father used to junk cars in his spare time and things of that nature, and for the junk yard to take certain metals they had to be burned down. Also if he was working on his car in the cold, he'd burn wood in it to keep warm. I've seen my father cut down countless car and even an old school bus once.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/13 at 8:49 pm

he still does? good for him!  8) I would if I could

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/13 at 8:53 pm

he still does? good for him!  8) I would if I could

The State to Northern Cali:  So...why did you guys burn down?

NorCal:  I dunno...someone said BFF was burning some shyt in a 55 gal drum. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/13 at 8:55 pm

The State to Northern Cali:  So...why did you guys burn down?

NorCal:  I dunno...someone said BFF was burning some shyt in a 55 gal drum. 

gimme a break, I was freezing cold  ::) 

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/13 at 8:58 pm

gimme a break, I was freezing cold  ::)

;D

Written By: warped on 01/08/14 at 6:18 pm

You know you're old when you remember that the first person you ever babysat (and made $4 for the whole 4 hours)

Well...that girl turns 40 years-old today.

Damn that makes me feel old!

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/08/14 at 8:46 pm

*If you lived/visited the southern US, the dreaded white and colored signs.

*4-track tapes before there were 8-tracks.

*When a new song was known as a platter (and that's how a popular Doo-Wop group was named!)

*How realistic that man would be on Mars by the year 2000.

*Having a new color TV set but being disappointed that your favorite show is still being broadcast in black and white.

*When cartoons and newsreels played before the feature movie.

*Burma-Shave signs while driving on the highway.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/14 at 6:32 am

You know you're old when you remember that the first person you ever babysat (and made $4 for the whole 4 hours)

Well...that girl turns 40 years-old today.

Damn that makes me feel old!

Wow, 40 years old, that's unbelievable.

Written By: warped on 01/09/14 at 12:35 pm

Wow, 40 years old, that's unbelievable.

Yup Howard, and I know you are turning 40 this year, so technically I could have babysat you.
I think you would have been a fun kid to babysit.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/09/14 at 3:21 pm

Yup Howard, and I know you are turning 40 this year, so technically I could have babysat you.
I think you would have been a fun kid to babysit.  :)

I was a rambunctious kid, just being playful and throwing couch pillows around, ask my Mother she knows all about my rambunctiousness. ;D

Written By: warped on 01/12/14 at 7:43 am

I was a rambunctious kid, just being playful and throwing couch pillows around, ask my Mother she knows all about my rambunctiousness. ;D

That's part of being a kid, we were all rambunctious to a certain extent.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/16/16 at 7:13 pm

When a person could ride in the bed of a pickup truck and cops wouldn't care.
78 records.
Tape singles

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:15 pm

people were able to have a eye to eye conversation instead of staring down at their phones. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...