inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teenagers of the 1940's

Written By: 90steen on 02/09/09 at 1:37 pm

It seems to me growing up and until now it always seems like teen pop culture started in the 1950's. They have all those movies like Grease, The Rebel Without A Cause, etc...

It seems like teenagers didn't have freedom until the 50's.

i always thought it was the end of WW2 that gave them their freedom. But since it ended in 1945, a big part of the whole decade is left. So what were teenagers in the 40's doing? And dressing like? Did they have cars? Did they go out on the weekends? Were they rebellious and did they party at all?

I wouldn't say it's so old fashioned where they had absolutely no fun at all, but I'm just wondering how limited they actually were.

Subject: Re: Teenagers of the 1940's

Written By: Paul on 02/09/09 at 2:17 pm

For a start, there were no 'teenagers' in the 1940s!

The term didn't come into common use until the decade after (hand in hand with the RnR culture)...in those days, youngsters between 12 and 20 were known as 'juveniles' or 'adolescents'...

Written By: woops on 02/09/09 at 9:19 pm

All the girls screaming for Frank Sinatra in  Looney Tunes  (ie the chickens in "Crooner Swooner"):D

Written By: Brigitte on 02/12/09 at 7:23 pm

I think the young people of the 40's were going to movies or doing the "Jitterbug"

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/12/09 at 9:03 pm

That is a pretty dark period in that period for youngsters. However that are some examples including the Bowery Boys (the comedy version), Our Miss Brooks, and in the 90's "Swing Kids".

Another good example would be "The Notebook". I've always imagined that teenagers in the '40s would go out to canteens, dance halls to swing dance, amusement parks, view points to make out, and go out joy riding.

Written By: 90steen on 02/15/09 at 10:41 pm

I've always admired the hairstyles of the 40's.

As a teenager, my sister had beautiful long and thick hair that you could pretty much do anything with. She was really into the old fashioned look. Whenever we had somewhere formal to go she would give her hair some type of 30's or 40's old-fashioned look.

And she loved putting ringlets in her hair, and they looked perfect on her.

Check for new replies or respond here...