inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Capturing the 50's

Written By: 2oldskool on 03/09/09 at 1:54 pm

What are some recent films that you feel really capture the 50's feel?

Subject: Re: Capturing the 50's

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 03/10/09 at 11:02 am

Grease and American Grafitti certainly come to mind first.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/10/09 at 2:20 pm

What are some recent films that you feel really capture the 50's feel?

I know this movie is from 1998, but Pleasantville is sooooooo 50's!  ;D

It really captures the era of the 50's and has a message to tell people.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/10/09 at 3:16 pm

Cooley High
Shag
House Party (even though the style and the culture was more 90s, the storyline and plot was influenced by 50's rock n roll films)

Written By: 90steen on 03/10/09 at 5:41 pm

Yes. I agree with Grease and American Graffiti, although it takes place in 1962. It seems more 50's to me.

Grease is my favorite 50's movie of all time. I think it sums up the 50's perfectly with a little over exaggeration. Which you can't make a movie that's not just a little over exaggerated or it will be boring, IMO.

Grease shows that the craziness of teenagers goes back all the way to the 50's. And seeing people their age now (I'd say about 68 years of age. I read something about Grease that said Rydell High School class of 1959) would be funny, imagining them being crazy teenagers. A kid who doesn't know about the 50's probably sees an old man or old lady and thinks that their teenage life was like The Little House On The Prairie. LOL.  ;D Hmmm probably not that far back but you know what I mean.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/10/09 at 8:01 pm

Back To The Future  when Marty is transported back to 1955, particularly the scene where his mom's family is excited about getting their first tv.

Written By: M on 03/11/09 at 4:38 pm

Badfinger..I'm loving the Colonel Kurtz image:) Very nice.    There is another movie that will be out in April ..only ast Landmark Theaters though.. it's called Alien Trespass. It's an homage to the 50''s and stars Eric McCormack. Check it out here. (www.alientrespass.com) 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/09 at 4:58 pm

The latest Indiana Jones was set in the 50's

Written By: 90steen on 03/11/09 at 8:57 pm

I wanted to say The Rebel Without A Cause but that was actually made in the 50's and it doesn't seem like that's what you're looking for, but I'll keep the suggestion here just in case.

Another one is High School Confidential. It captures the results of teenage drug use in the 50's.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/13/09 at 12:59 am

Badfinger..I'm loving the Colonel Kurtz image:) Very nice.    There is another movie that will be out in April ..only ast Landmark Theaters though.. it's called Alien Trespass. It's an homage to the 50''s and stars Eric McCormack. Check it out here. (www.alientrespass.com) 

thanks M. I like it too. Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite films

...another film that captures late 50's feel is Stand By Me

Written By: Frank on 03/13/09 at 1:27 am

There is a bit of a 50's feeling in parts of Shawshank Redemption and Quiz Show as well.
I like 50's movies such as Stand by me, Grease, Apocalypse now (I love the smell of napalm in the morning),

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/13/09 at 1:32 am

There is a bit of a 50's feeling in parts of Shawshank Redemption and Quiz Show as well.
I like 50's movies such as Stand by me, Grease, Apocalypse now (I love the smell of napalm in the morning),

that could be an interesting double feature. Apocalypse Now and Stand By Me  ;D    they are both excellent movies
Shawshank does have it's moments that reflect that time or era of the 50's , for instance the movie that the prisoners watch starring Rita Hayworth
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020nR_blJztIACcyjzbkF/SIG=125igtem1/EXP=1237012305/**http%3A//img202.imageshack.us/img202/5170/15pf1.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/09 at 2:59 pm

My Favorite Year.
Porky's.
Animal House.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 03/24/09 at 6:16 pm

I liked "The Majestic" with Jim Carrey, it was the dark side of the early 50's, but that theater brought back some great memories of my old neighborhood theater The Rivoli, which today is now a post office and warehouse.

Written By: Frank on 03/25/09 at 12:59 am

Pleasantville is another movie that captures a nice part of the 50's

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 8:31 am

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a 1999 American psychological thriller written for the screen and directed by Anthony Minghella, is set in the 1950s.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/14 at 6:07 pm

Far from heaven with Julianne Moore is a great film. The 50s seem almost modern in the film!  :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 6:09 am

Elements of the 1950's can be seen in Forrest Gump (1994)

Written By: Howard on 06/13/14 at 6:21 am

How about in Happy Days?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 6:45 am

How about in Happy Days?  ???
The origin of the topic asks for films.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/13/14 at 8:09 am

Real Life '50s:
-Any film released in that era regarding themes of Juvenille Deliquency
-Blackboard Jungle
-Bye, Bye Birdie
-Any Elvis film before GI Blues
-Any Marilyn Monroe film
-Any Sandra Dee film, such as Gidget
-All of those sci-fi movies led to the fascination of both the fear of UFOs, nuclear war, and later the emerging Space Age.

Theme Park '50s (Portray the teens as the heroes and the adults as villains and are heavily pigenhold with the obligatory diner with jukebox, drive-in movie, poodle skirt, and tailfinned car):
-Grease
-American Graffiti
-Diner
-The 1955 scenes of Back to the Future
-Peggy Sue Got Married
-School Ties
-The Last Picture Show (the Country/Western portrayal of the '50s)

Modern, Realist movies that provide a thoughtful approach while removing many of the pigenholed stereotypes:
-Revolutionary Road
-L.A. Confidential
-Quiz Show
-Capote
-The Buddy Holly Story
-La Bamba (transitional though with some Theme Park elements)

That said, I enjoy all three styles of "fifties film". The former provides the closest to a first-hand look that you'll get while providing some entertainment, the second is the guilty pleasure that makes you young at heart, and the third takes a more critical look at reality.

Check for new replies or respond here...