inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Silent Sundays.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/16/09 at 6:35 pm

I discovered the magic that is Silent Sundays on TCM over a month ago. Silent Sundays is an event which Turner Classic Movies plays one or two silent films every Sunday night. Sadly, for the past 3 weeks, it has been missing due to the Oscars, and TCM having specials for said Oscars. However, I am pleased to say that they have returned! This thread will basically be updated every Sunday or Monday, and I doubt anyone will be interested in the slightest. I will be informing you on upcoming films, talking about previously shown films, and posting photos of my favorite style-choices of actresses/actors in said films, because I am so very intrigued by the wardrobes of silent film stars.

Now, I realize that it isn't, in fact, Sunday night, however TCM will be showing "The Navigator" this evening, featuring the lovely Buster Keaton.

I would tell everyone how much I adore this man, but much like the majority of his acting career- there are no words! Between performing all of his own stunts, his sensational sense of style, that signature porkpie hat, his deadpan face, and large gleaming eyes, Buster Keaton has very quickly made his way into a special place in my heart. I can't help but to have a serious crush on him!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/BusterKeatonn.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/Buster_Keaton_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/2008_2keaton.jpg

"He was, by his whole style and nature, so much the most deeply "silent" of the silent comedians that even a smile was as deafeningly out of key as a yell. In a way, his pictures are like a transcendent juggling act in which it seems that the whole universe is in exquisite flying motion and the one point of repose is the juggler's effortless, uninterested face."

- James Agee in LIFE magazine (5 September 1949)

Now, I have not had the pleasure of viewing "The Navigator" yet, so I am thrilled to very soon learn a little more about Buster Keaton's acting career! According to IMDB, the synopsis is:

"Rollo (Keaton) decides to marry his sweetheart Betsy and sail to Honolulu. When she rejects him he decides to go alone but boards the wrong ship, the "Navigator" owned by Betsy's father. Unaware of this, Betsy boards the ship to look for her father, whom spies capture before cutting the ship loose. It drifts out to sea with the two socialites each unaware of there being anyone else on board."

It sounds as if there are plenty of opportunities for Keaton to incorporate loads of his signature slapstick comedy- I can't wait!

Subject: Re: Silent Sundays.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/09 at 6:10 am

Buster Keaton was a genius, along with Chaplin, and Oliver and Hardy.  That kind of acting will never again be duplicated.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/17/09 at 9:01 am

Buster Keaton was a genius, along with Chaplin, and Oliver and Hardy.  That kind of acting will never again be duplicated.

You are so right. It was a charm that many people strive to have, but often fail miserably. To me, that was true comedy. I've also started to watch some Harold Lloyd films, and have discovered that he is quite magnificent as well.

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/09 at 10:27 am

I saw Sunrise a few years ago.... I enjoyed it.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/17/09 at 10:46 am

I saw Sunrise a few years ago.... I enjoyed it.

I haven't seen it yet! I'm excited to, though.

Written By: woops on 03/25/09 at 12:22 pm

Not into silent films, but I've enjoyed some Felix the Cat & Oswald Rabbit cartoons.

Check for new replies or respond here...