inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any good hippie movies?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/28/09 at 5:40 pm

Are there any good movies which take place in or were made around 1965-1974 which give a good glimpse at the hippie culture, lifestyle, clothes, etc?

Subject: Re: Any good hippie movies?

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 5:42 pm

Are there any good movies which take place in or were made around 1965-1974 which give a good glimpse at the hippie culture, lifestyle, clothes, etc?

Hair.  (if you don't want to rent it I just saw its avail on Hulu.com with limited commercial interruption)

Written By: Frank on 03/28/09 at 5:57 pm

Gosh, there are lots out there..but can't think of any right now. Maybe "Easy Rider" is one.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 6:00 pm

Gosh, there are lots out there..but can't think of any right now. Maybe "Easy Rider" is one.

I know I was thinking the same thing.. I've seen tons but just can't recall any right now... 

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/09 at 7:56 pm

Ryan, back in the 60's there where many "B" movies made about LSD Hippies, Pot that where second features at the Drive-in movies, but by the time the second features where shown you were pretty f==ked up yourself on smoke or booze or you getting it on with your girl and didn't pay much attention to them. Yet there was a movie called "Wild in the Streets" but more about the hippie philosophy and political views of the young generation and people over thirty years old being put into old age camps. It was really a goof movie but drew some interest with us kids and what our government was doing to us with Viet Nam, the draft, no voting until you were 21 and it rattled some cages and lead them to protesting against our government policies and riots on college campuses. It had some impact on me too, that's why I still remember it.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/09 at 8:00 pm

They were throw backs from the 60's hippie era...the Cheech and Chong characters in their movies.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/28/09 at 8:22 pm

Alice's Resturaunt

Written By: loki 13 on 03/28/09 at 8:34 pm

a 1970 made for TV movie - Tribes with Jan-Michael Vincent.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 8:35 pm

how bout cult movies.... like Ticket to Heaven....

Written By: anabel on 03/28/09 at 9:18 pm

What about the movie Shampoo  (not to be confused with the product Sham Wow!)
It's from 1975 but it's about a hairstylist, who is a guy, played by Warren Beatty, and I think it's set in 1969 or 1970, and it really portrays the whole "free love' and hippie lifestyle pretty well, I think.  Goldie Hawn is in it too.

Written By: Frank on 03/29/09 at 1:27 am

Thought of more:

Billy jack
Godspell (with that famous song "day by day")
5 easy pieces (with the famous restaurant scene about the sandwich..Ah Jack Nicholson)
Forrest Gump (parts of it only)

..or watch clips of George Carlin doing "Al State"...the hippie dippie weather man
We miss ya George!

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/29/09 at 3:02 am

Good topic, I love cheezy B-movie, second feature hippie flicks.

Some of the best ones were already listed here like Easy Rider & Alice's Restaurant.

Also:
Wild in the Streets (1968, first film appearance for Richard Pryor, 25 yr old rock star becomes President of the US, strange cast selection, but pretty stinky film though)
The Trip (1967, Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Bruce Dern, Dennis Hopper, you KNOW theres a lot of drugs in this by the cast listing alone  :D)
Psych-Out (1968 w/ Jack Nicholson, more low budget psychedelic silliness)
Woodstock, the movie (of course)
The Love Ins (pseudo-documentary of the San Fransisco/Haight-Ashbury scene)
Any number of oddly paired motorcycle gang/hippie grindhouse-like films that were popular towards the end of the 60's early 70's are a good choice.

Depending on your take on it, Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar & Godspell all have a very heavy "hippie" theme, but were all released in the 70's as movie/musicals...

A bit off topic but...ANY Dragnet episode where Joe Friday gives a lecture of the evils of the drug/counterculture, specifically the infamous "Blue Boy" or "The Big Prophet" episodes. ::)

Written By: Brigitte on 03/29/09 at 12:19 pm

Woodstock

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/09 at 12:32 pm

Hair.  (if you don't want to rent it I just saw its avail on Hulu.com with limited commercial interruption)

Godspell (with that famous song "day by day")

UGH!! Hollywood ruining wonderful plays.

The best one was NOT fiction but the documentary about Woodstock. There you can see the hippie culture first hand.

Alice's Restaurant is also a good one. Based on real events (and for the most part acted out by the real people-though some were not-like Alice), but I thought it was a sad movie.

Butterflies Are Free.
Head (the Monkees)
Harold & Maude
I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 03/29/09 at 1:42 pm

We all got off on "The Yellow Submarine", a cartoon but is was cool to get into it with a little help from your friends. I think is was a hippie movie of sorts.

Come to think of it, the whole Saturday morning cartoon show of the Beatles was all hippie oriented, if that qualifies?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 1:46 pm

We all got off on "The Yellow Submarine", a cartoon but is was cool to get into it with a little help from your friends. I think is was a hippie movie of sorts.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds....

...need we say more?

Written By: anabel on 03/29/09 at 4:04 pm

UGH!! Hollywood ruining wonderful plays.

Butterflies Are Free.

Cat

I forgot about that one!  I LOVE that movie!!  It's nearly safe to say anything with Goldie Hawn in it made between 63-73 would be a good one to check out.

Written By: Michael C. on 03/29/09 at 8:41 pm

The Strawberry Statement -1970- w/ Bruce Davison & Kim Darby.

Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIgaarWfhsI

Written By: hot_wax on 03/29/09 at 11:17 pm

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds....

...need we say more?

I pulled up Lucy's flick and it's still mesmerizing after all these years.

Written By: Womble on 03/30/09 at 9:41 am

"I Drink Your Blood" is a campy horror film about rabies-infected Hippies who go on a killing spree in a small town.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067229/plotsummary

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/09 at 11:23 am

"I Drink Your Blood" is a campy horror film about rabies-infected Hippies who go on a killing spree in a small town.

Sounds like something you would see on MST3K.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 03/30/09 at 4:41 pm

1972's The Deathmaster was about a Charles Manson type who Lorded over a group of Hippies.
And.........He happened to be a Vampire.
Check out the Trippy Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAltxajwNo
It starred Robert Quarry and Brenda Dickson {the original Jill from The Young and the Restless.....Not that I'd ...uhh....know that.How would I know that ? Huh? How ?..... :o........... don't judge Me...... ;)...}
]

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 1:19 am

Harold & Maude
I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!

These were the two I was going to mention!

Of course, I could do a whole thread on Harold & Maude, which is the one folks are more likely to have seen.  However, "I Love You Alice B. Toklas" is great fun and anybody who hasn't seen it SHOULD see it ASAP!

I love you, Alice B. Toklas and so does Gertrude Stein,
I love you, Alice B. Toklas and so does Harold Fine!

Harold: I've got pot, I've got acid, I've got LSD cubes. I'm probably the hippest guy around here. I'm so hip, it hurts!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/french.gif

Written By: Womble on 04/01/09 at 10:56 am

1972's The Deathmaster was about a Charles Manson type who Lorded over a group of Hippies.
And.........He happened to be a Vampire.
Check out the Trippy Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAltxajwNo
It starred Robert Quarry and Brenda Dickson {the original Jill from The Young and the Restless.....Not that I'd ...uhh....know that.How would I know that ? Huh? How ?..... :o........... don't judge Me...... ;)...}
]

I remember that movie. I saw it in the early 70's under the title 'Count Yorga Returns'. I also recommend the film as an entertaining Hippie flick.

Written By: Michael C. on 04/01/09 at 4:59 pm

Womble- They're 2 different Movies.
Count Yorga returns was released in 1971.
The Deathmasterwas released the next year.Quarry's Vampire was named Khorda in it,not Yorga.

I remember that movie. I saw it in the early 70's under the title 'Count Yorga Returns'. I also recommend the film as an entertaining Hippie flick.

Written By: Womble on 04/02/09 at 7:27 am

Womble- They're 2 different Movies.
Count Yorga returns was released in 1971.
The Deathmasterwas released the next year.Quarry's Vampire was named Khorda in it,not Yorga.

All this time I thought the film was a 'Count Yorga" movie. Thanks for clearing that up for me Michael.  :)

Written By: Tia on 04/02/09 at 8:22 am

ha ha! i saw that. it was terrible. kinda funny though.

a couple of ones i thought of right away are electra-glide in blue and medium cool.

Written By: Michael C. on 04/04/09 at 12:53 pm

No problem.....just sharin' all the useless info in My head...............
Now You've got another Robert Quarry Film to watch. :)  {I highly recommend it}

All this time I thought the film was a 'Count Yorga" movie. Thanks for clearing that up for me Michael.  :)

Written By: star80 on 04/04/09 at 5:12 pm

There were (2) made for tv movies:  They were "Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring" that starred Sally Field and David Carradine (1971) and "Go Ask Alice" (1973)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/06/09 at 7:09 pm

I mean...are there any movies which were not so much hippie in theme
But in ''looks''--Like a movie made between 65-74 that shows the hairstyles, clothes styles and whatnot of the Hippies. Sort of like what Saturday Night Fever was to Disco.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/09 at 9:44 pm

I mean...are there any movies which were not so much hippie in theme
But in ''looks''--Like a movie made between 65-74 that shows the hairstyles, clothes styles and whatnot of the Hippies. Sort of like what Saturday Night Fever was to Disco.

What about James Coburn's "Our Man Flint" and "In Like Flint"?  They're sort of like the Monkees meet James Bond, as I recall!
;D

Written By: Michael C. on 04/12/09 at 8:41 pm

1968's Skidoo
Lots of counterculture comedy packed into this......pretty much mess of a Movie....
Has to be seen to be believed............
Jackie Gleason even goes on a "trip" :o

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFO-D3TInGg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 12:27 am

1968's Skidoo
Lots of counterculture comedy packed into this......pretty much mess of a Movie....

Trailer:

Karma for that one.  I saw Skidoo.  My friend Bill had a copy.  I just didn't remember what it was called because...I was sooooo frikkin' stoned when I watched it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_shaking2.gif

Written By: hot_wax on 04/13/09 at 1:13 am

1968's Skidoo

Trailer:

I don't remember Skidoo, it sounds like a mindless intertaining movie, now I have to watch it.

Check for new replies or respond here...