inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Election of 1960

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/06/09 at 7:24 pm

In terms of 20th century US Presidential elections, (imo) the 1960 race is the most culturally significant. So let's have a hypothetical debate. Let's pretend this is 1960. Without having ANY knowledge of what came after 1960--Nothing about how Kennedy was president, his death, Watergate etc. Nothing. Pretend for a moment you're alive in November 1960, and you're in the voting booth or whatever they used then. Who do you choose? Why?

Subject: Re: The Election of 1960

Written By: hot_wax on 06/10/09 at 10:38 pm

In terms of 20th century US Presidential elections, (imo) the 1960 race is the most culturally significant. So let's have a hypothetical debate. Let's pretend this is 1960. Without having ANY knowledge of what came after 1960--Nothing about how Kennedy was president, his death, Watergate etc. Nothing. Pretend for a moment you're alive in November 1960, and you're in the voting booth or whatever they used then. Who do you choose? Why?

Kennedy, because he was a Democrate. I wasn't old enough to vote then, but would hear my family talk about the candidates who used to run for offices, and would always be about how the democrates will help the working man. They were struggling middleclass people, and  my father was an hourly wage earner and a die hard Democrate. I remember him saying this, "If you punch a clock to earn a salary, you are a Democrate whether you like it or not and should vote that way, it's a vote for your own good", and I say the same thing to people today who punch a clock at work, like myself. I'm register Democrate and one by default due to the clock I punch and always will vote that way.

Subject: Re: The Election of 1960

Written By: Fasolt on 08/31/09 at 7:51 pm

I WAS alive in November of 1960, but I was only five years old. Still I vaguely remember watching the Nixon-Kennedy debates on TV. When election day came, my mom went out to vote - and I remember telling her she should vote for Nixon. As a five-year-old kid, I thought he seemed more "presidential" than Kennedy. I didn't like the way Kennedy spoke, didn't like his mannerisms, considered him "effite" (although I didn't know the word at the time). Frankly, I thought Nixon was more trustworthy. I guess that's why they don't let five-year-olds vote.

By the way, she voted for Kennedy anyway.

Check for new replies or respond here...