inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big Eye/Sad Eye Art

Written By: gemini on 07/22/09 at 12:20 pm

I'm sure most of you remember the sad eye paintings from the 60s/70s. When I was a kid I had some of the puppies and kittens pictures. You could buy them at any department store and they usually came in a plastic frame. Well, me being the crazy collector of kitsch, I saw one at the Goodwill and I started collecting them.  I love the Mod Kids pictures by the artists Lee and Eve. They were kids dressed in mod clothes usually dancing with a record player or radio, or playing guitars.  After doing a little research I found out that the most popular painter of Sad Eye kids was Margaret Keane. The short version of her story is, her husband had her paint the paintings and then he took the credit for them. During their divorce proceedings, her husband wanted credit for the artwork, but the judge had Margaret paint and realized that she indeed was the painter and she got full credit for the paintings.  Anyways, alot of people think they're creepy paintings, which, some of them are, but I like that kind of wierd stuff, so that's my new collection!  :D

Subject: Re: Big Eye/Sad Eye Art

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/09 at 12:23 pm

oh..those are too cute!

Written By: Brigitte on 07/22/09 at 12:53 pm

Could you post some pictures? I want to see.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/09 at 1:01 pm

I think I know the pictures she means, I am looking for them online, you could buy them from Woolworths.

Written By: gemini on 07/22/09 at 1:20 pm

Could you post some pictures? I want to see.

Sure! The doggy is Gig and the Kids are Eve

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rfk975/doggy.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rfk975/bigeye.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/09 at 1:56 pm

^ it was different pictures I was thinking of, unless it is the British versions I had in mind

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/09 at 3:39 pm

Oooohhh, I loved these as a child  8)

Written By: gemini on 07/22/09 at 4:02 pm

Oooohhh, I loved these as a child  8)

Me too! And now I love them again! I had a picture and a lamp of the doggie one in the above picture. 

Written By: karen on 07/22/09 at 4:31 pm

^ it was different pictures I was thinking of, unless it is the British versions I had in mind

I think the British ones might have been based on Holly Hobbie type characters - all patchwork smock dresses  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...