inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need some 1920s film recommendations

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/22/09 at 11:49 pm

Hey, was wondering if you could list some movies from the 1920s or set in the 20s which were about or included any of the five following elements. They don't have to include all 5--just any one of the following elements or any combination of them.

1) A classic murder mystery plot--I've read these were pretty common in the '20s and a lot of 20s nostalgia or tributes I've seen focuses on the murder mysteries of the '20s

2) Flappers and/or flapper culture; ragtime music.

3) A main male character with one of those pencil mustaches that was popular in the decade.

4) That extremely exaggerated boxing you see in 20s movie tributes.

5) A character like the one this guy begins playing at 2:10--I know I've seen a character with mannerisms/exaggerated acting and a voice like that in either a 20s movie or a movie set in that decade--It's something I can remember clearly but not from where: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTw8y0iQ9o

Subject: Re: Need some 1920s film recommendations

Written By: gibbo on 07/23/09 at 1:01 am

Does it need to be the 20's? Two ghreat films came to mind ... The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes ... but I think they were made in the 30's but probably set in the 20's... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/09 at 1:06 am

Hey, was wondering if you could list some movies from the 1920s or set in the 20s which were about or included any of the five following elements. They don't have to include all 5--just any one of the following elements or any combination of them.

1) A classic murder mystery plot--I've read these were pretty common in the '20s and a lot of 20s nostalgia or tributes I've seen focuses on the murder mysteries of the '20s

Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger (1927) and Blackmail (1929)

Written By: gibbo on 07/23/09 at 4:06 am

Wasn't The Jazz Singer in the 20's also?

Written By: Claybricks on 07/23/09 at 9:33 am

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde {1920}

Dan

Written By: karen on 07/23/09 at 1:41 pm

5) A character like the one this guy begins playing at 2:10--I know I've seen a character with mannerisms/exaggerated acting and a voice like that in either a 20s movie or a movie set in that decade--It's something I can remember clearly but not from where: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTw8y0iQ9o

Reminded me a little of Groucho Marx

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5716/marxgroucho.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/23/09 at 4:03 pm

I love watching old B&W silent films from this time period!  :)

Unfortunately, I can't recall the titles of any that I've seen!  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...