inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 50 Disney cartoon shorts (Mickey, Donald, Silly Symphonies, etc.)

Written By: woops on 08/23/09 at 10:22 am

Since it's impossible to rank a list of the best Looney Tunes...

Not listed: segments from compilation films ("Mickey & The Beanstalk", "Wind in the Willows")

Most of these are based on nostalgia from the Disney Channel & video tapes, personal favorites, and even a few I've never seen until some years ago that I've enjoyed.

Any omissions (though there's several favorites that didn't make the cut), or any shorts that should've been ranked higher/lower, or shouldn't be on the list?

50. "The Pointer " (1939)

Mickey & Pluto goes hunting, Pluto trying to stand still,  and Mickey encounters a bear

49. "Bone Trouble" (1940)

Pluto fights over a bulldog for a bone at a funhouse.

48."Lucky Number" (1951)

The nephews decide to pick up a car Donald won (in disguise)...

47. "Hawaiian Holiday" (1937)

Mickey, Donald, & Goofy in vacation in Hawaii with Goofy surfing and Pluto meeting a crab.

46. "Susie the Little Blue Coupe" (1952)

A story about a blue car. Known to be one of the very. very few Disney shorts in the public domain.

45.  "Three For Breakfast" (1948)

Chip & Dale steals Donald Duck's pancakes

44. "Orphan's Benefit" (1941)

Color remake with Donald trying to recite "Little Boy Blue" and a dance number with Goofy, Horace Horsecollar, and Clarabelle Cow.

43. "The Moose Hunt" (1931)

Early cartoon with Mickey and Pluto trying to hunt a moose. Also a rare time when Pluto actually speaks ("Kiss Me"). A

42. "Toby Tortoise Returns" (1936)

The tortoise & the hare are back again, this time for a boxing match.

41. "Clown Of The Jungle" (1947)

Donald encounters the Aracuan bird, which he tries to take a picture, but ends in a wacky situation when it interrupts.

40. "The Mad Doctor" (1933)

Mickey has a nightmare, which he tried to save Pluto and encounters skeletons in a spooky castle.

39. "Fall Out, Fall In" (1943)

Donald Duck marches throughout the night and tries to sleep in the Army.

38. "Mr. Mouse Takes A Trip" (1940)

Mickey tried to bring Pluto aboard a train, which doesn't allow pets.

37. "Woodland Cafe" (1937)

A Silly Symphony featuring a club featuring insects dancing to big band music.

36. "Cured Duck" (1945)

After Donald got upset after trying to open Daisy window, Daisy asks Donald to watch his temper, which he buys machine to control himself. Though turns out that Daisy also has one once Donald laughs at her hat

35. "Mickey's Rival" (1936)

Mickey Mouse tries to win the affection of Minnie Mouse from Mortimer at a picnic.

Note: One of the orginal names to be given to Mickey was Mortimer. Also Mortimer's only theatrical appearance though was often featured in "House of Mouse"

34. "The Autograph Hound" (1939)

Donald tries to get autographs in Hollywood, but  gets chased from a security gaurd that doesn't recognize the duck until he gets noticed by Shirley Temple.

A few classic scenes: When the gaurd asks a chef about the where-abouts of the duck

33. "Peculiar Penguins" (1934)

Silly Symphony about two penguins courting and saving his mate from a shark. While not exactly funny, I'm actually fond of the cartoon.

32.  "Pantry Pirate" (1940)

Pluto tries to seal a ham from the kitchen, but comes across soap, which causes him to sneeze bubbles.

31. "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983)

One of my childhood favorites, which is basically a retelling of the classic Dickens story with real emotional scenes and a great cast of characters and cameos.

Note: Clarence Nash's final role as the voice of Donald and also probably popularized Scrooge McDuck outside of comic books.

30. "Out Of Scale" (1952)

Chip N' Dale messes around Donald's mini-railroad set. Also the only cartoon where they settled thier battle when Donald turns the tree into a tunnel and the chipmunks refers it as a "Giant Redwood".

Classic scene: when Donald uses "weather" (basically a lamp and fake snow) to lure the chipmunks out of a model house

Subject: Re: Top 50 Disney cartoon shorts (Mickey, Donald, Silly Symphonies, etc.)

Written By: woops on 08/23/09 at 10:23 am

29. "Don Donald" (1937)

Donald meets his date Daisy Duck, in her debut cartoon, in the south of the boarder.  He impresses her with a car, which he traded a burro for it.

28. "Mickey's Polo Team" (1936)

Mickey Mouse and friends vs. celebrities (Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Harpo Marx) in a wacky game of polo. Also the only cartoon where the Big Bad Wolf isn't  a villian and costars along with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. (Though mostly focuses on Donald, which he comes across Harpo and ends up getting attacked when he accidently swallows the ball)

27. "Pluto's Judgement Day" (1935)

Mickey scolds Pluto after he chases a cat into the house and gets  a nightmare where he's puts on trial. Known for dramatic imagery like the cave Pluto's thrown in and  catchy songs sung in court  (well, atleast it's far better than "Cop Rock").

26. "Good Scouts" (1938)

Donald goes camping with his nephews, which he teaches them to pitch a tent and ends up getting chased by a bear while covered in bandages.

25. "Mickey's Birthday Party" (1942)

A birthday party for the mouse thet features classic scenes featuring Goofy trying to bake a cake.

24. "Donald's Dilemma" (1949)

Donald becomes a crooner (like Frank Sinatra & Biing Crosby) after gettingh is head hit by a pot and Daisy shares her feeligs with a therapist, which she misses him since he's been touring and wins him back by throwing a pot at  him at a concert to regain his old voice and her to ger Donald back.

23. "Donald's Crime" (1945)

A great take on '40's crime dramas, which Donald winds up feeling guilty after he steals his nephews' money for himself and acts if he's running from the law.

22. "Plane Crazy" (1928)

Actually the first Mickey cartoon (not "Steamboar Willie", which was his 3rd), which he tries to get Minnie's affection by flying a plane he built. Also his character's far different since he acted a bit like a jerk and even endangers Minnie. There's some great visuals for the time like the cow being chased.

21. "Mr. Duck  Steps Out"  (1940)

Donald goes to Diasy's house (with his nephews) and both end up swing dancing. Especiall with  corn popping inside of Donald.  

20. "Tortoise and The Hare" (1935)

Note: 1935 Academy Award winner

A classic fable about a cocky hare challenging Toby tortoise on a race, which he gets distracted by female rabbits.

19. "Chips Ahoy" (1956)

Chip & Dale takes a ride on Donald's model sailboat to an island on the lake, which Donald tries to out on a stop on them.

18. "Donald's Lucky Day"  (1939)

Donald delivers a mysterious package on Friday the 13th and comes in path of a black cat.

17. "Clock Cleaners" (1937)

Mickey, Donald, & Goofy cleans inside of a clock tower with numerous funny scenes including Mickey trying to remove a stork and Donald fighting with some springs.

16. "Crazy With The Heat" (1947)

Donald & Goofy gets lost in the dessert and start to hallucinate. Classic scene: Goofy trying to order soda at a soda fountain.

15. "On Ice" (1935)

A classic short featuring Mickey & Minnie ice skating, Donald hecking Pluto, and Goofy trying to fish.

14. "The Riveter" (1940)

Donald takes a job at Pete's contruction site, which he pretty much upsets Pete with  uncontrolling riveting and ends up getting chased.

13. "Donald's Snow Fight" (1942)

Classic Donald vs. Huey, Dewy, & Louie with the ducks challenging each other with a snowball battle.

12. "Steamboat Willie" (1928)

Other that it being the earliest cartoon to use syncronized sound (not the first, though debatable), it's quite an entertaining short with the ever famous scene of Mickey steering the boat and playing "Turky In The Straw".  

11. "Goofy Gymnastics" (1949)

Perhaps the funniest Goofy short, IMHO, and with gags that would come close to those from Warner Bros. Goofy orders a gym, which he basically ends up crashing his apartment with pullstrings and barbells.

10. "Two Chips & A Miss" (1952)

Unlike most cartoon shorts, Chip & Dale are up against each other to impress lounge singer Clarice. A few scenes are a nod to Tex Avery cartoons like the chipmunks' turning into wolves and getting frighten of each other.

9. "The Three Little Pigs" (1933)

An Academy Award winning short featuring the known fabel of the three pigs. Includes the song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf", which was popular during the depression.

8. "Lonesome Ghosts" (1937)

Mickey, Goofy, and Donald as ghost exterminators.

7. "Der Fuehrer's Face" (1943)

The only Donald short to win an Oscar.

One of the greatest WWII propaganda shorts I've seen which is anti nazi. Many of the images  of the cartoon maybe taken out of content, but have be considered that it was made in WWII. It's about Donald having a nightmare that he's  forced to work at a munitions factory and had to salute the evil dictator.

6. "Thru The Mirror" (1935)

After reading "Alice In Wonderland", Mickey dreams of going through the mirror when inanimate objects comes to life. Also features a scene with the deck of cards moving that later would appear in "Alice In Wonderland

5. "The Vanishing Private (1942)

Private Duck heckles drill sargeant Pete when he accidently falls into a bucket of inivisible paint.

4.  "The Band Concert" (1935)

Mickey's orchestra gets interrupted with Donald Duck (playing "Turkey In The Straw")  and also a tornado, which the bands kept playing in a cartoon fashion.

3. "Donald's Double Trouble" (1947)

Donald hires a look-a-like to pose as himself to impress Daisy, though ends up jealous when he's actually trying to steal his girlfriend

2. "The Brave Little Tailor" (1938)

After a rumor of Mickey taking down 7 in one blow (actually flies) spreaded actross the village, he's sent to hunt a giant.

1. "Mickey's Trailer" (1938)

Comedy, suspense, and pretty much a great cartoon from start to finish. It features Mickey, Donald, and Goofy driving in the country side and Goofy accidently letting go of the trailer with Mickey & Donald inside.

Subject: Re: Top 50 Disney cartoon shorts (Mickey, Donald, Silly Symphonies, etc.)

Written By: gibbo on 08/24/09 at 7:02 am

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the Donald Duck story when he gained a deep melodic singing voice...it is in your list at #24 "Donald's Dilemna".... :)

Written By: woops on 08/24/09 at 10:09 am

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the Donald Duck story when he gained a deep melodic singing voice...it is in your list at #24 "Donald's Dilemna".... :)

Yes

Written By: nally on 08/27/09 at 11:28 am

Yes

Great list. I am familiar with a good number of these...altho I haven't seen them in ages

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/27/09 at 1:52 pm

I've seen many of them, but I can't tell you my top-50 since I don't really have one for Disney Cartoons.

But...I can tell you my favorite from Disney Characters....

Mickey Mouse-"Mickey and the Seal". Even though Pluto is in it...it's a good Mickey short. Best scene...is where Mickey takes a bath (Not because I like barnyard nudity...but that scene is classic with some good gags involving the seal).

Donald Duck-"Bellboy Donald". This cartoon has most of the running gags that Donald Duck faces...anger and 'wardrobe malfunction'. And #15 cartoon that you have chosen is the first time Donald Duck actually gets a 'wardrobe malfunction' (Mickey unravels Donald Duck's sweater when Donald (stuck on a kite) goes off a waterfall.

Goofy-"Wilbur"...or that one with Wilbur. Wilbur is Goofy's Grasshopper and he gets eaten. Goofy thought he lost Wilbur, but he actually didn't.

Pluto-That one with a bird. I don't know the title, but Pluto sees a bird and he saves it. And every time Pluto saves the bird, he falls off the roof. (This happens more than once).

Silly Symphonies-Okay, this one's harder but..."Isle of Music" (I think that's what it's called). The island of classical fights against the island of jazz. And in one way...It still holds today with modern music!

All characters-"Mickey's Surprise Party". This has one of the best running gags...involving Goofy and Mickey's Birthday Cake! 

Written By: woops on 08/27/09 at 11:50 pm

Silly Symphonies-Okay, this one's harder but..."Isle of Music" (I think that's what it's called). The island of classical fights against the island of jazz. And in one way...It still holds today with modern music!

Close, it's "Music Land"

Check for new replies or respond here...