inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: UFO sightings and bad science in the '50s

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/16/09 at 8:00 pm

If you are old enough, do you or a relative recall when UFOs were legitimately a reall scary threat (coinciding with the science fiction craze?) Here's a video from the Today Show during the '50s about such an event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFRrKJHZG8o

Scientists practically "slept through" the '50s.

Subject: Re: UFO sightings and bad science in the '50s

Written By: hot_wax on 12/19/09 at 1:45 pm

If you are old enough, do you or a relative recall when UFOs were legitimately a reall scary threat (coinciding with the science fiction craze?) Here's a video from the Today Show during the '50s about such an event:

yelimsexa, I don't remember this real scary UFO sighting, but you did bring back a real scary memory when a news flash came across our TV set the night the Russians launched the first satellite "Sputnik" into space and the space race was on with the USA and USSR. I thought we lost and they were going to send hundreds of sputnik's up into space with atom bombs in them and we couldn't shoot them down at that height and we were sitting ducks to be blown up. This was real life science scary not fiction scary. I remember it was a cold clear night and in seemed that the whole neighbor hood was outside looking up at the sky looking for the first ever real live man-made rocket  launched space object to pass over our houses, it didn't, and I was happy it didn't, but it took a while for me to realize the real science and the fiction science weren't the same scary thing...but am I wrong? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/10 at 11:26 pm

I wouldn't say scientists slept through fifties.  As Hot Wax said, American scientists were working their asses off to keep up with the Russkies in the space race.  Dr. Salk also developed a vaccine for polio (poliomyelitis), which was stunting and handicapping children in periodic outbreaks before then.  Also, the first nuclear power reactor went online, solar batteries were developed, broke the sound barrier with aircraft, made significant advancements in understanding how the human brain operates, introduced the transistor radio, oral contraceptives, tranquilizers and antipsychotic medications, synthesized diamonds, and, on February 1, 1958, the first U.S. satellite, Explorer 1, went into orbit just a few months after Sputnik.

As for UFO sightings, it was not the scientists who were goofing off, but the public getting hysterical.  Fighter pilots in WWII began reporting strange phenomena on missions, and commercial pilots started seeing weird stuff as well.  However, they were not all claiming to see extraterrestrial craft powered by intelligent force, but simply what would be called unidentified flying objects -- UFO.  Then the general public got in on it. Project Blue Book reviewed hundreds of sightings with varying amounts of documentation but could not verify any claim to a vehicle powered by extraterrestrial intelligence.  As Wiki says, Ultimately, Project Blue Book stated that UFOs sightings were generated as a result of:

* A mild form of mass hysteria.
    * Individuals who fabricate such reports to perpetrate a hoax or seek publicity.
    * Psychopathological persons.
    * Misidentification of various conventional objects.

The conclusion was a bit harsh.  Some sightings were reported by people of sound mind and some of these remain unexplained, such as the ones detailed in this Popular Mechanics article:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/1282476.html

The 1950s was a repressed and paranoid decade, as Hot Wax alludes to, with the Cold War heating up and McCarthyism running full tilt at home.  The motion picture industry capitalized on people's fear of the "other" by making loads of godawful monster movies and flying saucer invasion flicks.  Surprise surprise, people started interpreting any strange lights and odd-looking aircraft as outer space aliens.  Of course, after WWII there was a lot more aircraft up there.  It was the so-called "Jet Age."  The military was testing new craft for combat and research.  Jet engine passenger planes were in service by 1952.  The sight of this stuff took a lot of people by surprise and they jumped to conclusions.  We're much more accustomed to seeing lights and shapes moving in the sky nowadays than we were in the 1950s.  However, if you soak the mind in fear of forces from afar coming to get you, you're more likely to think you've found them.  WWII, Korea, the Cold War, and paranoia over communism had people fatigued and suggestible back then.

I saw a UFO once.  It was a UFO to me.  I was about nine.  There was a strange spherical object hovering way up in the sky.  From my perspective, it was about the size of a Lima bean.  I pointed it out to my sister.  We wondered what it was, but we didn't tell anybody else.  I think what we were seeing was some type of high-altitude balloon.  Even at that impressionable age, I didn't think it was an extraterrestrial craft.  I just didn't know what it was.  However, I had discussed UFOs with my dad before, and he explained that even if there is intelligent life capable of space flight somewhere out there, the mathematical probabilities of it reaching us are almost immeasurably minuscule.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/20/10 at 12:43 am

Max, it was a clear bright sunny day, approximately 8:20 AM a day or so before the 911 attack on the twin towers. I was in my place of work's parking lot when a bright spot high in the sky caught my attention. The angle of sun at that time in the morning that time of the year reflected it's sun rays just right to make that object glow so bright. At first I thought it was just a high flying commercial jet, but at that hight there wasn't any vapor trail coming from it, in fact as I kept watching it I noticed it wasn't moving at all, I realized that I was watching it about 90 seconds and it was in the same spot as when I first noticed it, then a high cirrus cloud drifted past the bright spot and dimmed it down to where the spot took an image of a cylinder, it looked like a trailer of an oil tanker truck but it had to be the size of a foot ball field at that hight. I was mesmerized by the this object for about two minutes, then it slowly faded and then gone all within about two and half minutes. Azure blue clear skies, a wisp of a thin cloud and this object reflecting the early morning sunlight had me thinking what in world was this thing and did anyone else see it? I listened to radio and watched TV news reports, but nothing was mentioned at all about it, then I thought maybe I was in the right place at the right time to catch the angle of the sun reflecting off it and wasn't visable to other areas of the city or country, I had to make some sense of what I saw. I still can see it in my head like it left a an impression in my memory for ever, you know, like the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" that's what it reminds me of, strange but it's the God's honest truth, there was something up there about fives high, and I would like to see it again up close.

Written By: karen on 01/20/10 at 11:57 am

I saw a UFO once.  It was a UFO to me.  I was about nine.  There was a strange spherical object hovering way up in the sky.  From my perspective, it was about the size of a Lima bean.  I pointed it out to my sister.  We wondered what it was, but we didn't tell anybody else.  I think what we were seeing was some type of high-altitude balloon.  Even at that impressionable age, I didn't think it was an extraterrestrial craft.  I just didn't know what it was.  However, I had discussed UFOs with my dad before, and he explained that even if there is intelligent life capable of space flight somewhere out there, the mathematical probabilities of it reaching us are almost immeasurably minuscule.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they
come!"

;)

I've occasionally seen odd lights in the sky but usually they've resolved themself as an aeroplane flying directly towards me or some other phenomenom.  (Just before we left the UK the local paper was full of stories of people seeing some orange lights moving about the sky.  Turned out to be the sodium street lights reflecting off a flight of geese.)

Written By: hot_wax on 01/20/10 at 7:38 pm

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they
come!"

;)

I've occasionally seen odd lights in the sky but usually they've resolved themself as an aeroplane flying directly towards me or some other phenomenom.  (Just before we left the UK the local paper was full of stories of people seeing some orange lights moving about the sky.  Turned out to be the sodium street lights reflecting off a flight of geese.)

I want to think it was some kind of an illusion, but the thing that gave it life was that thin cirrus cloud dimming some of the brightness and took a uniformed shape of a oil tank cylinder and then faded out in the same spot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/10 at 2:51 pm

I want to think it was some kind of an illusion, but the thing that gave it life was that thin cirrus cloud dimming some of the brightness and took a uniformed shape of a oil tank cylinder and then faded out in the same spot.

Maybe it was an extraterrestrial interstellar spacecraft.  Maybe it was something on your eyeball.  Maybe it was an extraterrestrial interstellar spacecraft on your eyeball!  Anyway, don't tell my friend Dave it happened a day or two before 9/11 because he'll tell you a super-secret special-ops unit scoping the site with malevolent intentions!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: hot_wax on 01/26/10 at 12:05 am

Maybe it was an extraterrestrial interstellar spacecraft.  Maybe it was something on your eyeball.  Maybe it was an extraterrestrial interstellar spacecraft on your eyeball!  Anyway, don't tell my friend Dave it happened a day or two before 9/11 because he'll tell you a super-secret special-ops unit scoping the site with malevolent intentions!

Max, this object was about 5 miles high and over the air space of Newark International Airport just a little southwest of the Twin Towers, the towers are only a few miles away from the airport parking lot where I was standing, Dave could be on to something in that statement. I thought someone in the New York area saw this bright light besides me, if the sun keeps moving and this was object was stationary the reflecting sunlight off it would keep moving along the land and someone should have caught a glimpse of it also, but there wasn't anything said on news casts, radio or even newspapers the next day, but nothing and that was strange to me because of all the aircrafts inbounding and outbounding the airport. Then the on 9/11 all hell broke out and I didn't think of anything other then it was something and if it was a UFO then I was a chosen one.

Now your friend Dave brings up possible valid subject that the our government had a top secret thing going on in conjunction with the tower attacks, hey! that movie that was made a few years ago about how our government knew that we were going to be attacked and did little to prevent it, maybe this object I saw was a just what Dave believes it was and the movie was right and the attack could have been avoided...or were they invited?

Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/10 at 11:36 pm

Max, I haven't heard from you, since I left the last post, do you think Dave might be right? there was somrthing up there was it UFO or USA?

Written By: hot_wax on 07/14/10 at 3:01 pm

Max, I haven't heard from you, since I left the last post, do you think Dave might be right? there was somrthing up there was it UFO or USA?

Max, I'm still waiting.

Written By: aussie on 07/15/10 at 5:32 am

Hi. I'mnot sure if this is where I put my reply post, but hee goes anyhow. yeah, i remmeber the fifties was hot on UFO's. In Australia when I was a kid, the UFO thing was hot. When a UFO was sighted, it made headlines in the paper. We even thought that the authorites, would try and debunk the sightings, as we thought they were prob some new military thing etc. Also the Sputnic, etc made more thoughts on UFO's at the end of the fifities. Cheers.

Written By: hot_wax on 07/16/10 at 2:53 am

Hi. I'mnot sure if this is where I put my reply post, but hee goes anyhow. yeah, i remmeber the fifties was hot on UFO's. In Australia when I was a kid, the UFO thing was hot. When a UFO was sighted, it made headlines in the paper. We even thought that the authorites, would try and debunk the sightings, as we thought they were prob some new military thing etc. Also the Sputnic, etc made more thoughts on UFO's at the end of the fifities. Cheers.

Good job Mate! we all got caught up in those science fiction space movies filling us kids minds with men from mars, and  rockets to the moon, but deep down inside I didn't believe all the movie stuff, but when the Russians put the Sputnick in outer space, that was real! and all the outer space movies I saw before that all of a sudden to me became a real possibility that if Earthlings can do it then the Martians can do it too.

When I was an ankle biter my imagination ran wild with the unknown facts. All those space movies, news reports of people seeing unidentified flying objects and people being abducted by aliens and real Sputnicks added to my fearful imagination. As I got older now I'm curious hoping to see a flying saucer or even a space alien, but no abductions. I always look up into the night sky, have a telescope, follow star news in the newspaper and magazines but never saw a anything close to an unidentified flying object and wouldn't know if I did with all the cover up stories you mentioned. As I wrote in my previous reply, I did see something I couldn't identify way up high up a morning sky a day or so before 911. I wasn't expecting to see a strange flying object in a sunny morning sky, always looking for one in the night sky, so when I did see this cylinder shape object I didn't know what to think only that if it was one, who else saw it? and no one else reported it, why nothing was mentioned about it? was it a cover up for something to do with the 911 attack? or was it alien spaceship? the more I thought about it, today I think it was a cover up for a USA security operation watching the twin towers. There was something up there, and it was real, alien or not.

So keep your eyes open night and day for unidentified flying ojects in the sky, and report it, as you say down under it might be the "Dinky Di", I'm sorry I didn't.  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/10 at 10:56 pm

Good job Mate! we all got caught up in those science fiction space movies filling us kids minds with men from mars, and  rockets to the moon, but deep down inside I didn't believe all the movie stuff, but when the Russians put the Sputnick in outer space, that was real! and all the outer space movies I saw before that all of a sudden to me became a real possibility that if Earthlings can do it then the Martians can do it too.

When I was an ankle biter my imagination ran wild with the unknown facts. All those space movies, news reports of people seeing unidentified flying objects and people being abducted by aliens and real Sputnicks added to my fearful imagination. As I got older now I'm curious hoping to see a flying saucer or even a space alien, but no abductions. I always look up into the night sky, have a telescope, follow star news in the newspaper and magazines but never saw a anything close to an unidentified flying object and wouldn't know if I did with all the cover up stories you mentioned. As I wrote in my previous reply, I did see something I couldn't identify way up high up a morning sky a day or so before 911. I wasn't expecting to see a strange flying object in a sunny morning sky, always looking for one in the night sky, so when I did see this cylinder shape object I didn't know what to think only that if it was one, who else saw it? and no one else reported it, why nothing was mentioned about it? was it a cover up for something to do with the 911 attack? or was it alien spaceship? the more I thought about it, today I think it was a cover up for a USA security operation watching the twin towers. There was something up there, and it was real, alien or not.

So keep your eyes open night and day for unidentified flying ojects in the sky, and report it, as you say down under it might be the "Dinky Di", I'm sorry I didn't.  

Dinky-Di? Is that a Mel Gibson reference? 
;D

I know I've been neglecting this thread.  As for the abduction phenomenon, I won't believe it until it happens to me.  And then nobody will believe me!  I once knew a woman who believed extraterrestrials had given her a tubal ligation.  I'll never know the real story.

Some people just want to believe in these things.  Every house my aunt ever lived in was haunted.  She claimed several times to have seen ghosts -- like in The Shining -- but that's when they were also doing a lot of pot and acid!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_shaking.gif

Written By: hot_wax on 07/18/10 at 1:15 am

;D

I know I've been neglecting this thread.  As for the abduction phenomenon, I won't believe it until it happens to me.  And then nobody will believe me!  I once knew a woman who believed extraterrestrials had given her a tubal ligation.  I'll never know the real story.

Some people just want to believe in these things.  Every house my aunt ever lived in was haunted.  She claimed several times to have seen ghosts -- like in The Shining -- but that's when they were also doing a lot of pot and acid!

Hey Max! It's been a while, but it's was like yesterday with this posting. why I'm still interested in this subject is that I'd like to hear some opinions on space travel and aliens abductions and religion beliefs. To much to ask? let me throw this out.

"Are all of our major religions based on unidentified flyng object's and alien abductions and space travel?" is the old testament bible only a book of recorded space travelers interventions? is artificial insemination and time travel or the speed of light the foundation of a religion? and is a small rock, called a meteorite today, from outerspace the reason for another religion?

I think we should re-write the bible because of our knowledge in technology today, first stating that all the major religions from 5000 thousand ago that are still practiced today are not Holy and only byproducts of un-identified flying obects, space aliens intervention on ignorant minds. Maybe our wars would stop because of ignorant religious beliefs.

there is more...

Written By: hot_wax on 07/18/10 at 3:02 pm

;D

I know I've been neglecting this thread.  As for the abduction phenomenon, I won't believe it until it happens to me.  And then nobody will believe me!  I once knew a woman who believed extraterrestrials had given her a tubal ligation.  I'll never know the real story.

Some people just want to believe in these things.  Every house my aunt ever lived in was haunted.  She claimed several times to have seen ghosts -- like in The Shining -- but that's when they were also doing a lot of pot and acid!

"Dinky Di"..."the real thing"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/10 at 3:30 pm

Hey Max! It's been a while, but it's was like yesterday with this posting. why I'm still interested in this subject is that I'd like to hear some opinions on space travel and aliens abductions and religion beliefs. To much to ask? let me throw this out.

"Are all of our major religions based on unidentified flyng object's and alien abductions and space travel?" is the old testament bible only a book of recorded space travelers interventions? is artificial insemination and time travel or the speed of light the foundation of a religion? and is a small rock, called a meteorite today, from outerspace the reason for another religion?

I think we should re-write the bible because of our knowledge in technology today, first stating that all the major religions from 5000 thousand ago that are still practiced today are not Holy and only byproducts of un-identified flying obects, space aliens intervention on ignorant minds. Maybe our wars would stop because of ignorant religious beliefs.

there is more...

You should check out Off-Beat Oddities section of the board.

There is THIS thread:  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=39800.0

Or THIS thread: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=37211.0

There is just so much to this place than just "Before the 70s".  ;)

I'm hoping to see you more around the board (like the PPP  ;) )

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 07/18/10 at 6:29 pm

You should check out Off-Beat Oddities section of the board.

There is THIS thread:  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=39800.0

Or THIS thread: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=37211.0

There is just so much to this place than just "Before the 70s".  ;)

I'm hoping to see you more around the board (like the PPP  ;) )

Cat

Hi Cat, cool boards thanks, I have to get out more often and visit the neighborhood. I like the two you gave me, how can I transfer my post onto one of those boards? I don't want rewite it can it be done?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/10 at 12:54 pm

Hi Cat, cool boards thanks, I have to get out more often and visit the neighborhood. I like the two you gave me, how can I transfer my post onto one of those boards? I don't want rewite it can it be done?

Just copy & paste.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 07/20/10 at 5:20 pm

Just copy & paste.

Cat

Did it, thank you.

Check for new replies or respond here...